Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys

I did a quick search an have not seen anything on this topic. Deceuninck is selling the Alaphilippe replica, https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/...b0-9f03-c2da5ee9556c

I think others have as well... personally I think it is weird, I would not wear one.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s5100e] [ In reply to ]

s5100e wrote:
I did a quick search an have not seen anything on this topic. Deceuninck is selling the Alaphilippe replica, https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/...b0-9f03-c2da5ee9556c

I think others have as well... personally I think it is weird, I would not wear one.

Maybe start by working on your self confidence.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s5100e] [ In reply to ]

Im from Slovakia and 1 in every 10 cyclists around here wore Sagans world champ jersey for years and years. I used to hate those people thinking they disrespect the title, disrespect the UCI and didnt earn it - only Sagan did.
But then I realized they just dont know. They didnt know what those stripes meant, they didnt know you had to earn it, they only knew Sagan wore it so it must be cool. And who the heck is those UCI anyway? they might ask...

So, I learned to mind my own business and ignore it.

And these days it turns out its mosty the UCI who disrespects the UCI, so who cares.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [ In reply to ]

s5100e wrote:

Nothing below is directed at you, just my opinion.......

Without fans to watch adverts while watching sports or buying product, there's decline.

When I went to watch Le Tour in downtown Paris after a business trip in 2018 I saw all manner of superfans. What escapes most people complaining about this "don't wear champ's jerseys" bullshit is that a lot of bike racing fans in Europe at least don't race bikes. They don't do weeknight worlds. They eat chips and drink beer and enjoy watching it the same way a bunch of Americans would sit down and wear a Tom Brady jersey while watching the Superbowl.

Then, they'd wear that same Tom Brady jersey to go toss the ball with the kids.

I have never in 5 years riding a bike met somebody purposely trying to pull one over on folks that they're actually the world champ, national champ, or king/queen of the mountains. Never.

It's this fandom that drives sport in positive directions.

It's the judgmental douchey stuff like ripping on guys for wearing team kit or polka dots on group rides that drives sport in negative directions.

The whole "you didn't earn that" only really applies if you're trying to show up to a competition or actually be a fake. Nobody broke into Jullian's house and stole his jersey or medal. You all realize there are medals for the Worlds right? Kinda hard to wear a medal flapping around your neck for a year like a football player can wear a Superbowl ring. So.......the jersey is a good stand in.

Folks can feel free to not purchase it or wear it. But they should keep their damned mouths shut about others doing it if they want the sport to continue to have interest, new participants, influxes of moneys and sponsors.......etc.

I

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]

burnthesheep wrote:
s5100e wrote:

Without fans to watch adverts while watching sports or buying product, there's decline.

When I went to watch Le Tour in downtown Paris after a business trip in 2018 I saw all manner of superfans. What escapes most people complaining about this "don't wear champ's jerseys" bullshit is that a lot of bike racing fans in Europe at least don't race bikes. They don't do weeknight worlds. They eat chips and drink beer and enjoy watching it the same way a bunch of Americans would sit down and wear a Tom Brady jersey while watching the Superbowl.

I have never in 5 years riding a bike met somebody purposely trying to pull one over on folks that they're actually the world champ, national champ, or king/queen of the mountains. Never.

It's the judgmental douchey stuff like ripping on guys for wearing team kit or polka dots on group rides that drives sport in negative directions.

The whole "you didn't earn that" only really applies if you're trying to show up to a competition or actually be a fake. Nobody broke into Jullian's house and stole his jersey or medal. You all realize there are medals for the Worlds right? Kinda hard to wear a medal flapping around your neck for a year like a football player can wear a Superbowl ring. So.......the jersey is a good stand in.

Folks can feel free to not purchase it or wear it. But they should keep their damned mouths shut about others doing it if they want the sport to continue to have interest, new participants, influxes of moneys and sponsors.......etc.

I

Oh no, you'd already bought it, hadn't you? :)

Edit: I agree kit-shaming is bad and never give people a hard time over what they wear (unless it's fake denim kit). But I wouldn't, personally, wear that jersey.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 11, 21 6:41

No need to gatekeep. There are enough barriers of entry to our sport already.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
It's the judgmental douchey stuff like ripping on guys for wearing team kit or polka dots on group rides that drives sport in negative directions

100% agree.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [trail] [ In reply to ]

I agree with this sentiment, "
Edit: I agree kit-shaming is bad and never give people a hard time over what they wear (unless it's fake denim kit). But I wouldn't, personally, wear that jersey."

in essence, like many things, there are likely strong opinions and I was curious so am asking what others think, not to comment on what I think, or to attack any one opinion or thoughts. I am curious how others view the issue.

Personal choice.
A number of years ago my mother bought me a polka dot jersey because she knew how much I struggled on the climbs.
I miss her.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

This is spot on.

Pro cycling needs MORE people buying and wearing team kit. Pro cycling needs MORE "team pride" and fan loyalty. If there are no loyal fans, why should there be loyal sponsors? One look at what L39GION of LA is doing - and go listen to Payson McElveen's podcast with Justin Williams and Colin Strickland - and you can see that trying to get fans involved and to feel like they have a stake is key to winning over the financial backing you need to be a team.

Just imagine if college and pro sports in the US didn't sell replicas, apparel, and all manner of branded stuff. Fan involvement is key to getting brands to want to buy in to market to those fans.

i got my 3-year-old daughter a world champs jersey to wear on her balance bike. she loves watching videos of cycling, and knows that "The Rainbow Girl" is cool. so she wanted to be a rainbow girl too.

i definitely care about matters of style.

but life is way, way too short to listen to someone telling me what kind of polyester shirt i can't wear on a bike ride.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/

s5100e wrote:

I used to be deameant to d set against it, but honestly now see it as a fan item show interest and allegiance. Just like others bought and wore Banesto gear during the Indurain years, or the USPS kit during the height of Lance...it's just a way for the casual bike rider to signal who they like and own a bit of coolness.

That said, if any one actually racing in Cat 1 through 5 showed up at a race in rainbows, they'd get the boot anyway, because at that point the stripes mean something different. But riding on the weekend with the local group - fill your boots. I'd be happy to see more than the same 3 kits everyone has honestly.

lol why would you care what another person is wearing while they cycle, I see it no different than people wearing NBA jerseys and such.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [Kickr] [ In reply to ]

Kickr wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I used to be deameant to d set against it, but honestly now see it as a fan item show interest and allegiance. Just like others bought and wore Banesto gear during the Indurain years, or the USPS kit during the height of Lance...it's just a way for the casual bike rider to signal who they like and own a bit of coolness.

That said, if any one actually racing in Cat 1 through 5 showed up at a race in rainbows, they'd get the boot anyway, because at that point the stripes mean something different. But riding on the weekend with the local group - fill your boots. I'd be happy to see more than the same 3 kits everyone has honestly.

I guess my way of thinking may be different than most and it may change through this discussion, I am not that strongly aligned to one side or the other. However, to my way of thinking there is a difference between wearing a team replica jersey which is clear and obvious you support the team as a fan, vs wearing a jersey that is " the pinnacle of that sport" that some individual earned.. unless you are a super fan you probably don't know who the current jersey wearer is anyhow at which point it is just a fashion statement?

Anyhow I see the point of each to their own and if wearing the rainbow stripes floats your boat go for it, then again if wearing an Olympic gold medal replica around your neck feels right so be it.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I

Edit: I agree kit-shaming is bad and never give people a hard time over what they wear (unless it's fake denim kit). But I wouldn't, personally, wear that jersey.

White kit isn't really my thing. Lol. Even though I'm pretty skinny, so there's no fat roll issues with wearing white. Either way, the UCI worlds jersey is a hard pass for me. Don't like mostly white kit. The company I work for sponsors a pro team. One year the kit was mostly white with blue accents. Yuck yuck yuck. I just couldn't do it. They give it out if you do the yearly fund raiser fondo thing. It's an indoors only kit.

I do own a TdF polka dot jersey I brought home from that trip. Time to time I wear it on the weeknight hammer ride that has some hills on it. Hills here being laughably short little 2 minute long deals. I do it for fun, and because I know there is always that "one guy" in the group it probably bugs. Just doing it to grind their gears is enough. It has enough big red dots that the white base color doesn't bother me.

s5100e wrote:
Kickr wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I guess my way of thinking may be different than most and it may change through this discussion, I am not that strongly aligned to one side or the other. However, to my way of thinking there is a difference between wearing a team replica jersey which is clear and obvious you support the team as a fan, vs wearing a jersey that is " the pinnacle of that sport" that some individual earned.. unless you are a super fan you probably don't know who the current jersey wearer is anyhow at which point it is just a fashion statement?

Anyhow I see the point of each to their own and if wearing the rainbow stripes floats your boat go for it, then again if wearing an Olympic gold medal replica around your neck feels right so be it.

This is apples and oranges. Who cares what jersey someone wears?? They are out riding for fun in a kit they like for whatever reason. Why judge them? If it's a denim kit, then oh well. Who cares.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]

A related story, from Penticton BC, August 2010.

I was on my way to the Ironman awards ceremony with a friend.

Knowing there was going to be a mega line up, we stopped in at the Husky by the convention centre to go to the bathroom.

On the way out, next to the dumpster, there was a box. It looked clean.

I was intrigued and went to investigate.

Inside a box of 20, 2009 Ironman Canada's finishers t-shirts.

WTF? I looked... over both shoulders, and took the bait, er box.

For the next month, I freely distributed my bounty to all sorts of folks, only two of which "earned" the shirt.

I wonder what kinds of conversations these folks had with the folks who "outed them"

If in case, that actually happened.

My guess is that most never saw the light of day.

Speaking of "bounty" I read on FB that there is a 49 dollar bounty on my head offered up by the IM corp. for dimishment of the brand.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]

I view this the same as any sports fan wearing a championship hat or jersey of their team. Like a Tampa Bay fan wearing a 2021 Super Bowl championship jersey. No big deal.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]

dktxracer wrote:
I view this the same as any sports fan wearing a championship hat or jersey of their team. Like a Tampa Bay fan wearing a 2021 Super Bowl championship jersey. No big deal.

Agreed. People walk around in replica football jerseys every day. They have players names and numbers attached. Nobody thinks that's weird or different. Not sure why OP would even waste precious time out of his life with this post. Who FN cares!!!!!

s.gentz wrote:
Not sure why OP would even waste precious time out of his life with this post. Who FN cares!!!!!

The reason is there's a roadie culture that reserving the kit for people who won it is a way of showing respect to that person. It's different than NBA or NFL culture.

Maybe that's silly, and has gone too far. I'm just describing the history. It's not just some random sentiment.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 11, 21 8:09

When I was a young whipper snapper just getting started in triathlon, we had a local Wednesday night 10mi TT (those were the days)

Being a triathlete I only had sleeveless tops, so in an attempt to not look like an idiot I jumped on ebay and tried to find a cheap skinsuit.

The problem... all the cheap ones were replica's from CSC, HTC, Discovery, etc... and of course I didn't want to look like a poser. Finally, I found this generic "USA" looking skinsuit. Not a stars and bars kit, just a good old red/blue/star "USA" kit. Didn't look like anything anyone was wearing. Great, purchased. It actually fit me pretty well too.

So I show up, get kitted up and get ready to go, lining up. My minute man is this older gentleman, introduces himself as Kent. He comments on how much he likes my skinsuit and smiles.

So not even to the turnaround this fella comes flying by me like I'm standing still... he's riding on some stupid level... obviously crushes everyone there.

So, small talk with one of the guys afterwards as we're packing the car, I mention how fast that guy was going. "Oh yeah, that's Kent." At this point I feel like that should mean something to me so I inquire "Kent who?" To which he tells me to go home and google "Bostisaurus."

So yeah, turns out that skinsuit was a copy of the one USA wore in the 96 olympics, and the older gentleman was Kent Bostick :D and all my attempts at not looking like a poser went extremely well.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com

All those people in newly printed Brady jerseys aren’t trying to convince anyone they are Tom or on the Bucs.

I wish more people did wear pro kit. Merchandising means more money in our sport means even more cycling stuff for us.

trail wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
Not sure why OP would even waste precious time out of his life with this post. Who FN cares!!!!!

The reason is there's a roadie culture that reserving the kit for people who won it is a way of showing respect to that person. It's different than NBA or NFL culture.

Maybe that's silly, and has gone too far. I'm just describing the history. It's not just some random sentiment.

Yes, know all about it. That's why I prefer the MTB crew. Quit riding with most of the roadies years ago. They pretty much know how to take the fun out of any ride unfortunately. Same with the road running crew compared to the trail runners. Whole different world.

trail wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
s5100e wrote:

I

Hey, we see fake denim ski pants all the time and I think its hilarious!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [boilerup] [ In reply to ]

boilerup wrote:

Hey, we see fake denim ski pants all the time and I think its hilarious!

Oh, I love it. But I give them a hard time (because you don't wear that stuff unless you *want* comments)

Prev Next