Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]

s.gentz wrote:
trail wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
Not sure why OP would even waste precious time out of his life with this post. Who FN cares!!!!!

The reason is there's a roadie culture that reserving the kit for people who won it is a way of showing respect to that person. It's different than NBA or NFL culture.

Maybe that's silly, and has gone too far. I'm just describing the history. It's not just some random sentiment.

Yes, know all about it. That's why I prefer the MTB crew. Quit riding with most of the roadies years ago. They pretty much know how to take the fun out of any ride unfortunately. Same with the road running crew compared to the trail runners. Whole different world.

Pretty broad generalization there, huh? "They".... While I agree that the off-road scene is more laid back, there are all kinds of cool fun road runners and cyclists out there.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s5100e] [ In reply to ]

'
I am currently living in Tampa FL. Everybody has a Brady jersey. I didn't realize the rainbow jersey bothered people. I'd totally rock one just to annoy the elitist prigs in their exclusive group rides around her.

But I'm not a white shirt kinda guy. Maybe I'll get the Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon jersey. People can yell at me for not really being in the band. Heck I'm not even British.

Guess I'll scratch the Brooks label off my running shorts because I'm not sponsored by Brooks.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]

s.gentz wrote:
Yes, know all about it. That's why I prefer the MTB crew. Quit riding with most of the roadies years ago. They pretty much know how to take the fun out of any ride unfortunately. Same with the road running crew compared to the trail runners. Whole different world.

I don't know, I do both MTB, and road and trail running (per my handle), and don't see that much of a difference. Everyone has their little cliques and put-downs. Human nature is what it is. There is a certain cohort of "prof-amateur" roadie who are real jerks, but I think everyone learns to ignore them pretty quick, and doesn't let them dictate enjoyment of the sport.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [boilerup] [ In reply to ]

boilerup wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
trail wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
Not sure why OP would even waste precious time out of his life with this post. Who FN cares!!!!!

The reason is there's a roadie culture that reserving the kit for people who won it is a way of showing respect to that person. It's different than NBA or NFL culture.

Maybe that's silly, and has gone too far. I'm just describing the history. It's not just some random sentiment.

Pretty broad generalization there, huh? "They".... While I agree that the off-road scene is more laid back, there are all kinds of cool fun road runners and cyclists out there.

Should not have worded that way. There are subsets within these groups. Usually the faster people or the think they are are faster people.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

I don't know, I do both MTB, and road and trail running (per my handle), and don't see that much of a difference. Everyone has their little cliques and put-downs. Human nature is what it is. There is a certain cohort of "prof-amateur" roadie who are real jerks, but I think everyone learns to ignore them pretty quick, and doesn't let them dictate enjoyment of the sport.

Agreed. But unfortunately where I ride most think they are pro's so they have the mentality that I don't care to be around.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

Cool story on the TT outfit!

Usually around here for road it is the Cat 1/2 folks. And the "almost pro" who rode for some little tiny conti outfit for a year one time and is back at weeknight worlds to feel good about destroying some Cat 4/5 riders.

There was some BS along those lines at a weeknight worlds from a dude like that when I wore our company's team kit. We sponsor Team Novo and get free kit time to time. So......... I wear it. It's "race fit" and a perfect weeknight worlds outfit. I often wear it in case a customer notices, as a lot of the customers are fans of the race team and it strikes up a conversation that makes the community closer together of diabetic folks. As usually the customer also has the team kit on.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [Rachela] [ In reply to ]

Rachela wrote:
Im from Slovakia and 1 in every 10 cyclists around here wore Sagans world champ jersey for years and years. I used to hate those people thinking they disrespect the title, disrespect the UCI and didnt earn it - only Sagan did.
But then I realized they just dont know. They didnt know what those stripes meant, they didnt know you had to earn it, they only knew Sagan wore it so it must be cool. And who the heck is those UCI anyway? they might ask...

So, I learned to mind my own business and ignore it.

And these days it turns out its mosty the UCI who disrespects the UCI, so who cares.

I think that's an interesting take on the situation and I agree.

Looking through someone else's eyes to see their point can shed light on the issue.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [s5100e] [ In reply to ]

s5100e wrote:
I did a quick search an have not seen anything on this topic. Deceuninck is selling the Alaphilippe replica, https://www.deceuninck-quickstep.com/...b0-9f03-c2da5ee9556c

I think others have as well... personally I think it is weird, I would not wear one.

Not sure why it bothers you. It's the same as people wearing Lebron James or Jordan jerseys, or their favorite football player or futball player.

It's a sign of respect. They obviously aren't the WC.

I think it's exclusionary and fastist to have a winner in the first place. Every finisher should be the winner, and get every type of jersey, including the world champion.

Although I have never come first in anything in my life, as a Person who Identifies as "world champion," I am aghast at the constructs of winner and not winner. We are all world champions!

edit; I went to the internet and my brain is now broken. From Understanding Cyclist Indentity and Related Interaction Strategies (https://www.sciencedirect.com/...ii/S1369847816303539)

Last edited by: davetallo: Feb 11, 21 8:59

trail wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

On another forum I frequent, there's a recent thread on just this issue, generating some 70 posts and exhibiting a level of pearl clutching rarely seen from someone not named Helen Lovejoy.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]

littlefoot wrote:
It's a sign of respect. They obviously aren't the WC.
You mean to tell me the 220 lb guy I passed on a commute to work is NOT a road cycling world champion? But I already bragged online how I beat the guy on all the important Strava segments.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]

There's a few things I dont do in sports and sports gear:

-I dont as a mid 30's guy wear team sport jerseys to sporting events or watch parties.
-I dont bring a ball glove to a baseball game anymore
-i dont ask for autographs
-either of those rules are "allowed" to be broken if said guy is a dad of a kid....that's a fun ass bonding experience
-i dont wear WC / team kits of teams I never rode for.

But that's just me and I get people will do what they are going to do. So if it gets them out to a group ride and experiencing the fun in sports, by all means.....I just won't do it, and I may think it's "wrong" but again it's just my personal take (that I keep to myself). I'll give them a kudos for coming out and enjoying the sport regardless.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:

-I dont as a mid 30's guy wear team sport jerseys to sporting events or watch parties.
-either of those rules are "allowed" to be broken if said guy is a dad of a kid....that's a fun ass bonding experience

But that's just me and I get people will do what they are going to do. So if it gets them out to a group ride and experiencing the fun in sports, by all means.....I just won't do it, and I may think it's "wrong" but again it's just my personal take (that I keep to myself). I'll give them a kudos for coming out and enjoying the sport regardless.

why are you anti-free speech? /s

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [boilerup] [ In reply to ]

boilerup wrote:
s.gentz wrote:
That's why I prefer the MTB crew. Quit riding with most of the roadies years ago. They pretty much know how to take the fun out of any ride unfortunately. Same with the road running crew compared to the trail runners. Whole different world.

That is my aspiration - to be known as that one who's NOT a complete asshole

Humility is the key; for me anyway

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

So you want less money being spent in the sport?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

s5100e wrote:
Anyhow I see the point of each to their own and if wearing the rainbow stripes floats your boat go for it, then again if wearing an Olympic gold medal replica around your neck feels right so be it.

These are not the same. With the possible exception of you, no one thinks some random guy they see riding around wearing a world championship jersey won the world championships. Same way they don't think some guy riding around in a yellow jersey was leading the Tour De France. Same way they don't think some guy they see wearing a pro team kit actually rides for that team. Also, none of the people wearing those jerseys are pretending to have done any of that.

Dimond Bikes Superfan

I'll avoid buying anything that fills the corrupt UCI coffers.

Here's the team shirt I'm most happy to wear in my super-fan-dom.

https://www.totalcycling.com/...ersey/m-m-22323.aspx

Pukka Pies. PROPER cycling fuel.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]

iron_mike wrote:
i got my 3-year-old daughter a world champs jersey to wear on her balance bike. she loves watching videos of cycling, and knows that "The Rainbow Girl" is cool. so she wanted to be a rainbow girl too.

i definitely care about matters of style.

but life is way, way too short to listen to someone telling me what kind of polyester shirt i can't wear on a bike ride.

Have her watch clips of the rainbow warrior. Much more entertaining. (hint - NASCAR 93 wins)

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:

I agree with all of the above. I rarely wear a sport team shirt. Never owned a jersey of a player-hope I would never get one as a gift. I don't care if others wear them or have them. It's just not for me. I wouldn't ever purchase a WC jersey for cycling, but could care less if my buddy did. In the end it's just a jersey. I don't care what others wear.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

interesting point, to paraphrase, one is buying the jersey from a team so the teams are making money and one is therefore supporting the team. I can buy that argument. I find it interesting how people conflate the idea that there is a congruence between being elitist, and not thinking that wearing a champion's jersey is ok. There are far more nuances to the argument than that.

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]

B.McMaster wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
i got my 3-year-old daughter a world champs jersey to wear on her balance bike. she loves watching videos of cycling, and knows that "The Rainbow Girl" is cool. so she wanted to be a rainbow girl too.

i definitely care about matters of style.

but life is way, way too short to listen to someone telling me what kind of polyester shirt i can't wear on a bike ride.

Have her watch clips of the rainbow warrior. Much more entertaining. (hint - NASCAR 93 wins)

she's the purest kind of fan. just loves seeing athletes go for it, and picks favourites based on who's wearing cool colours, or who has red hair like her, or who's looking the most hardcore.

lately we've been watching cyclocross, and she's been saying she might want to get an orange jersey, because the orange girls (team holland) are really fast.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/

Re: thoughts on regular folks wearing UCI World Champ relica jerseys [ In reply to ]

The last time this came up in ST I also posted this quote:

Graeme Obree , who famously broke the world hour record twice riding a homemade bike made from old washing machine parts , and who also wore the rainbow stripes of individual track pursuit world champion in 1993 and 1995, takes the opposite view:
"It's grand to see those jerseys being worn by amateurs out for a ride, it shows a real appreciation for what is an iconic symbol of our sport. Instead of being all precious about it, we should be thankful that people still want to wear these jerseys after all the drug-taking that's gone on in the sport."

.[/quote]
Pretty broad generalization there, huh? "They".... While I agree that the off-road scene is more laid back, there are all kinds of cool fun road runners and cyclists out there.[/quote]
Group stereotypes aren't just created out of thin air, generally they are created for a reason and roadies have well and truly earned the stereotype of being elitist dicks. Triathlon "teams" and triathletes at training camps are starting to give roadies a run for their money.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Feb 11, 21 11:21

s5100e wrote:
interesting point, to paraphrase, one is buying the jersey from a team so the teams are making money and one is therefore supporting the team. I can buy that argument. I find it interesting how people conflate the idea that there is a congruence between being elitist, and not thinking that wearing a champion's jersey is ok. There are far more nuances to the argument than that.

I have a British & Irish Lions Performance Kit, I have a US Eagles Kit, I have an All Blacks kit. I have previously worn these three all too Rugby Practice and at bars when watching games.

I also have a Josh Amberger kit that Wattie Ink sold.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

There are a series of Rules regarding all aspects of kit-wear

Quote:
Rule #14 // Shorts should be black.
Team-issue shorts should be black, with the possible exception of side-panels, which may match the rest of the team kit.

Rule #15 // Black shorts should also be worn with leader’s jerseys.
Black shorts, or at least standard team-kit shorts, must be worn with Championship jerseys and race leadership jerseys. Don’t over-match your kit, or accept that you will look like a douche.

Rule #16 // Respect the jersey.
Championship and race leader jerseys must only be worn if you’ve won the championship or led the race.

Rule #17 // Team kit is for members of the team.
Wearing Pro team kit is also questionable if you’re not paid to wear it. If you must fly the colors of Pro teams, all garments should match perfectly, i.e no Mapei jersey with Kelme shorts and Telekom socks.

Rule #18 // Know what to wear. Don’t suffer kit confusion.
No baggy shorts and jerseys while riding the road bike. No lycra when riding the mountain bike (unless racing XC). Skin suits only for cyclocross.

https://www.velominati.com/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin

Prev Next