Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: doubts about Alistair [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
He’s winning one of the T100 races this season. Hell he could have won this one without the insane pacing to distance everyone in the first 3k. This is just the way he races so I’m not sure he will change but I think he’ll be able to hang on in one of these.

If you'd have switched the mens race with the women's and cooler conditions, there's a chance he could have hung on, the key is obviously staying injury free, if he does and he gets his run fitness close to where it ever was, he's easily capable of winning whatever he wants to.

If the men's race had been cooler, it would have benefited all the men not just Alistair. I suspect he'd probably just have taken the run out even faster.

Possibly, I'd have liked to have seen it play out though, we all know traditionally hot conditions don't suit him, his heat management didn't look as good as Ditlevs anyway at the aid stations, mental how considering the level this at.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Lagoon wrote:
He’s winning one of the T100 races this season. Hell he could have won this one without the insane pacing to distance everyone in the first 3k. This is just the way he races so I’m not sure he will change but I think he’ll be able to hang on in one of these.

If you'd have switched the mens race with the women's and cooler conditions, there's a chance he could have hung on, the key is obviously staying injury free, if he does and he gets his run fitness close to where it ever was, he's easily capable of winning whatever he wants to.

If the men's race had been cooler, it would have benefited all the men not just Alistair. I suspect he'd probably just have taken the run out even faster.

Possibly, I'd have liked to have seen it play out though, we all know traditionally hot conditions don't suit him, his heat management didn't look as good as Ditlevs anyway at the aid stations, mental how considering the level this at.[/
quote]

Yes, Ditlev seemed to be using ice in his suit right from the get go while Alistair didn't seem to start with it until he was already really suffering. That one misstep alone might have made a world of difference.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Lagoon wrote:

Possibly, I'd have liked to have seen it play out though, we all know traditionally hot conditions don't suit him, his heat management didn't look as good as Ditlevs anyway at the aid stations, mental how considering the level this at.[/
quote]

Yes, Ditlev seemed to be using ice in his suit right from the get go while Alistair didn't seem to start with it until he was already really suffering. That one misstep alone might have made a world of difference.

Yep, I don't want it to be seen I'm making ridiculous excuses for him, but the aid station thing was plane to see.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't get this at all. Wish we had some reliable splits. He must have been running some 3:00 k's early on. Just running 10s/k slower & he probably wins going away or at least finishes on the podium. In conditions like that, why not just hang out in the pack & race to win? We've seen this strategy time & time again from him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say you must be one of the last believers in Alistair's long course triumphs.

It's absolutely admirable!

I for one will start betting money on him when each and every one of the believers has quit ;)

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any updates on Alistair' form? Oceanside is on so I'm curious.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Gearup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gearup wrote:
Any updates on Alistair' form? Oceanside is on so I'm curious.

The word is that he needs a few more weeks to fully come into run fitness.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the start list for IM South Africa next week.

He couldn’t get into Texas due to the first come first served nonsense so SA makes sense…if he can qualify (blow up the 15m into the run)
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Azmini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this is the reality of the situation he's in. Not quiet there yet with his running fitness(like i really know, but that seems to be the general view) and now feeling the squeeze to qualify. Sounds to me like a plan for disaster. Anyway we shall see.
Azmini wrote:

He couldn’t get into Texas due to the first come first served nonsense so SA makes sense…if he can qualify (blow up the 15m into the run)
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Azmini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Azmini wrote:

wait - i thought he was racing singapore too?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Azmini wrote:
He couldn’t get into Texas due to the first come first served nonsense so SA makes sense…if he can qualify
I thought he was racing Singapore
On Sunday, but it's 'only' 100km and 7 hours time zone away. Amberger is competing in that 'double' too. This suggests to me that we should not expect Brownlee to race Singapore as if it was going to be one of his T100 counters. He needs the KQ 7 days later (4xMPRO available).
https://stats.protriathletes.org/...ca/2024/participants
The strength of the field, for a non-IM Pro Series race is higher than expected. Let's hope P.E. allows swimming the full distance for once.
Ironman have, seemingly for no good/obvious reason, by constraining start numbers and bringing the 'last date to enter' forward, deprived 'us' (as well as the athletes) of a really competitive race in the Woodlands and effectively reduced the number of male athletes likely to challenge for the top 10 in the IM Pro Series..
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should've made an announcement that South Africa will be a part of the Pro Series after not communicating field caps @ Oceanside & Texas. The problem should be gone moving forward now that athletes can see which races are close to capacity & know they should just register for all of the races they might want to do. I don't love that system. I think they should consider some sort of rankings list but they would either need to create their own or acknowledge PTO. Some sort of robust wait list would be good too. Make athletes confirm X # of days if they intend on starting. Consider implementing a rule that you can't miss a certain # of starts once you confirm you are racing (have exceptions in place, intent is to try to fill fields). Take athletes off of a wait list. 91 finishers (10 DNFs) @ Oceanside when they could've had 120. 19 more people could have raced. I'm sure Texas is going to be the same.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're not going to expand the Pro Series.

The Series is the Series.

I would hazard a guess, based on the solid work Tim Heming did, that they will wind up looking at this more closely for summer adjustment / 2025. (You can guess there will not be anything tied to PTO unless PTO suddenly stops putting on races, but IM isn't also staffed currently to run pro registration at anything beyond a first-click system.)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That bike dismount was really shoddy by Alistair. I knew it was a penalty the second I saw it. Seemed to just give up after that.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably his longest injury free run since year Rio Olympics maybe?

I'm hoping this isn't too bad 🙏
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs to hang it up.

His team sucks if they are not telling him to. He is just ruining his legacy. It’s so sad. He should bow out gracefully and talk about his accomplishments rather than trying to be what he was 20 yrs ago

Flame away

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
He needs to hang it up.

His team sucks if they are not telling him to. He is just ruining his legacy. It’s so sad. He should bow out gracefully and talk about his accomplishments rather than trying to be what he was 20 yrs ago

Flame away

Less than eight years ago he was Olympic champion.

He's got the engine for mid-distance, but between his string of injuries and trying to race aggressively (as if a 70.3/100k can be raced the same as an Oly). In Singapore it looked like he was racing smart on the bike, but then couldn't help himself but to go after Keulen.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
He needs to hang it up.

Flame away

It's not doing anything to his legacy, he is and always will be a double olympic champion who changed the game at standard distance. Even if he spends the next 10 years flaming out of races he's still the Olympic goat. If he wants to carry on racing he can do whatever he likes!

From what I saw in Miami he was very close to being able to win that race, if he'd had even just 80% of his old run form then there's no way an athlete like Ditlev would have caught him.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
He needs to hang it up.
His team sucks if they are not telling him to. He is just ruining his legacy. It’s so sad. He should bow out gracefully . . .
Less than eight years ago he was Olympic champion.
He's got the engine for mid-distance, but between his string of injuries and trying to race aggressively (as if a 70.3/100k can be raced the same as an Oly). In Singapore it looked like he was racing smart on the bike, but then couldn't help himself but to go after Keulen.
For @Sbenardi: If you think Brownlee A listens to 'his team' on such matters you do not appreciate the man. As for 'ruining' and 'sadness' that's just twaddle. He puts great efforts into legacy (BF) and has minimal care for his legacy in terms of results after winning two Olympic gold medals (plus all the rest). He has refused to let injury call an end to racing (and remember two silvers in the 70.3WCs show he was right up there in '18 and '19 (at 70.3).
For @Titanflexr: This is not a "couldn't help himself but to go after Keulen" issue. He has shared what the issue/narrative was:
  • ankle pain on putting that (bare) foot down on the red line (30 secs)
  • seemed OK in a controlled first half lap (he absolutely could "help himself")
  • pulled Noodt and Smith back very slowly (as those settled down to a sensible pace) towards end of Lap 1
  • (suggest Keulen not in his mind: he was racing those two and had deliberately set out steady)
  • also he had in mind that he was about to take the penalty and would then have Smith and Noodt to chase again
  • took penalty
  • felt ankle after starting off, chasing Heemeryck
  • got worse
  • sensibly DNF

Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah - AB knows his numbers in training well enough, that he is like "I am FIT enought to race (the best in the world)" ...

Alas - he is only 35 ... at least 5-6 good years more in him, IMO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of legacy can you name me another pro-triathlete who has their own charitable foundation promoting triathlon to kids?
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicola spirig

Jonathan brownlee

And totally agree in a way this is likely the biggest thing a triathlete can do.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the outcome I wanted from T100 Singapore but trying to take the positives from what was a strong race up until bike dismount where I felt something in my ankle. Hoping it’s nothing serious.

Congratulations to Youri for an amazing performance to take the win and to the podium Sam & Pieter đź‘Ź

- Alistair
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
From what I saw in Miami he was very close to being able to win that race, if he'd had even just 80% of his old run form then there's no way an athlete like Ditlev would have caught him.

Yup, and trust me, the pros know this. The race was his to lose. Their destiny was in his hands. The only way someone else was winning is if he beat himself, which he did. But, still, if you are a Ditlev you know you won because AB beat himself and you are damn well scared of AB in the future, because if he doesn't fold from heat or injury or tactical stupidity, your podium spot is in his hands not yours.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not trying to be a jerk but is this sarcasm? I have noted in the past that the AB fans are even more “optimistic” than the Lionel fans, but don’t get the same grief for some reason.

It’s true that Alistair could “return” to form one day, but it seems to be becoming more and more improbable. Even if he pops a big one, with his history, I can’t see it lasting.

Not trying to be a hater, just have doubts about Alastair….
Quote Reply

Prev Next