Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad,,,I only asked because I've only seen one guy ever doing that and I figured it was a female thing.
Not that any of the triATHLETE women on this forum would do it, but I just thought maybe you had an inside track on why other women do ;)

You know, like maybe one day at the gym one of the 'steep walkers' would tell you to quit doing your long run or your tempo work or intervals and tell you that you could be saving a ton of time and or effort by letting you in on their secret. My best guess is that is has something to do with tightening up the rear end and is just for looking good in tight outfits and is not meant to help them qualify for Kona. Maybe it's localized to my Y. Maybe they're training to be on next years expedition to Mt Everest. Anyway, it's funny that on any night you can go in and there will be 4-5 treadmills in a row pointed to the sky with women walking away at 4mph!

But I guess it's better to look at fit women walking up to nowhere than naked wang guys that never leave the locker room and never workout yet are always there and naked for hours at a time! (They must be a requirement in most health clubs as everyone seems to have them!)

Hahaa...nice.

Or how about the punk kid who comes in from the basketball courts wearing jeans and trys to run on the treadmill? He usually lasted about 3 minutes at 8 mph. Seeing this display of "unfitness" was always the highlight of my workout

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One word: Ipod.

I purposely wear the ugliest clothing, baggy stuff if lifting, don't do my hair etc. This way you just blend right in with the walls. I get the hell out of the gym asap and use my music to ignore the loud grunting of the guys using 80's on incline press with form so bad it would be illegal in a more enlightened society.

Quote | Reply
They are targeting their butt is all I have come up with?

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [chitide1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is disgustingly delicious.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I find myself overeating on Thanksgiving day, I will picture what I just saw this morning...... oh, great - now I guess I'm skipping dinner tonight.....

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must belong to my gym. I notice he almost never touches the weights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's consistently a guy in the weight room at the Y that takes a long lat-pull bar and swings it at a padded wall. I think this is softball "batting practice" because the guy is about 40 lbs overweight, but is constantly swinging that damn bar every week. I can't imagine a more jarring exercise. The guys cartilage must be in ruins.

Then there's the couple where the guy "knows all about weight-lifting" and puts his newbie petite girlfriend on the incline leg-press with 200+ lbs! I only noticed after the girl started saying, "Shit. Shit. Shit." as she was slowly compressed by the load. I was happy to see that one of the YMCA staffers took issue with it and told the girl she was going to hurt herself. I guess smashing the wall is ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love these threads! I've seen backwards running guy on the treadmill before as well as they guy who looks to see how fast I am going and then wanting to "race" me on his treadmill. I've also seen the guys that drop the heavy dumbells - there was a guy at the local Y that I used to go to who when he'd do flys with the biggest dumbbells on the rack would yell out in agony with each rep like his nuts just got caught in a vice.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now I remember why I bought a home gym unit.
Now I remember why I live in Floriduh. It's going to be a brisk 70F when I go out for my 7 miler tonight! Wink

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure - rub it in. Heat wave in Chicago and it's only 55, not to mention dark and misting......

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by blavelle [ In reply to ]
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But what I want to know from the slowtwitch women is what is the deal with ladies setting the treadmill to the maximum incline and then doing a 'fast walk' while holding onto the console for dear life for 30 minutes straight?

What makes you think that the slowtwitch womens (TRIATHLETES) would know the answer to this? We can't magically read the minds of others just because they have the same type of reproductive parts.

I thought our uteruses (uteri?) were for locating lost objects ("Honey, where is my ....?"), not for mind-reading.

;)

hiya, Katy!! how ya doing?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [blavelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powergel on a treadmill just sounds expensive (not to mention rediculous). glad nobody was ON the stairmaster - or were they??

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why aren't you running outside?

Doing something in the gym is always last resort for me. My preference is to always do it out side.

It was quite cold yesterday morning( -3C when we started) but we got in a pleasent 4 hour ride.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chip, perhaps this is why Mr. T once said, "You don't need a gym. The World is your gym!"

"Be somebody. Because if you ain't somebody, you're somebody's foo"

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no clue as to the accuracy of this but I hear that the whole backwards walking/running thing is supposed to be far better for maintaining mobility in the elderly that walking/forward. Guess it is very big in China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My personal favourite, does one 30min PT session a week but
is never to be witnessed again dude
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, the Uterine Tracking System....

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i like the guys that come in to the gym wearing what would appear to be street clothes. except that they throw on some sneakers or maybe some lifting gloves, which i guess makes the ensemble gym worthy. i was beside myself watching this one guy hammer on the elliptical with a short sleeve button-down and black jeans. at least he still had all his jewelry on :-P

---------------------------------------------------
"Pops trippin'. He want me to ask for my bike back. You know i wouldn't trip."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the local gym is a strange world. Recognize most of the characters cited here. Backwards running guy, sit on leg press guy, steep incline lady (they always hold on to the rail, if you hold on to the rail isn't that the same as if the thing is level, like maybe you could sit in a recliner but have a treadmill turn under your feet, i dunno), cloppy old runnin' guy with headphones on treadmill (why does he yell? turrets? is he watching Fox news?), naked old guys in the locker room (so I'm getting to my locker and there's this dead ringer for 'ol fat bastard' on the bench, he slides over to give me room leaving this wet, slimy trail, I change standing up, I hope I didn't offend), but (no pun intended) bar none best was the guy who shaved his whole body poolside then jumped in the pool to rinse off, got out, oiled up, shaved, back in the pool to rinse, had to complain about that one.

Gotta go, late for a pilates class.

Jim_n_La
...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but only until it kills you - Cousin Elwood
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 72 for my lunch run today, my shirt was a little wet around the collar when I finished.

Back on topic, I go to a university rec center and no matter what time of day the same 3-4 older wang guys, I assume they are professors, are always having a STIMULATING intellectual conversation about some quantum efficient market hypothesis big bang history philosophy theorem. Why is 1-2 of them always sitting on a bench and the other one(s) standing 6 inches from their face?

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Jim_n_La] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMFG!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pool Guy might take the cake as worse offender. That letter to the Y was really funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They come in, get on the treadmill, crank it up to max incline and walk away.

I see that too. Don't understand. My favorite is the 3-minute muscular endurance workout:

1. Walk 1 minute
2. Set the speed to 8.5-9.0 & run like crazy, 1:45
3. Walk 0:15
4. Hit the showers

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply

Prev Next