Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it.
Quote | Reply
First off the new Peak Sports Club freaking rocks...what an awesome center. It is not even a mile from my home and 24 hours - rock on!

So I am on the dreaded rat wheel. MC Macho White Guy gets on the rat wheel next to mine, I get the obligatory "how fast is he going" look. I was at 8.0 or 7:30 what ever number you prefer. He promptly sets his pace at 8.5 and was running his little heart out. About five minutes into the run he splays his feet and is standing on the deck of the rat wheel for a full minute or more to manually take his pulse. I guess his count is more accurate than just grabbing the damn handles that will display your HR right on the unit. This continued every four to five minutes for the next 45! At this point he looks at me and said "yeah, not running long today" and walked away....

Couldnt help but to chuckle...I dont know how women put up with us....

I have not met "I swam an hour" guy (mostly holding the wall chatting with the guards)...but I bet he is a member too :-)

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds almost as distracting as the guy singing off key next to me on Saturday. I run without tunes but really wish I had them. Decided it was time to work on my focus.

Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahhhh, strange denizens of the treadmill.

1. Feels-the-urge-to-grunt-or-yell-a-syllable-like-"go!"-to-himself-every-three-minutes guy. He sucks. Huge.

2. Eat-a-gel-every-five-minutes-even-though-he's-only-running-25-minutes guy. Gotta have ENERGY! I bet he had a full plate of pasta last night, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure he then went and did curls with weights so heavy that when he dropped them they made that "boooommm" that resonates around the whole gym.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I remember why I bought a home gym unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Bulliams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have experience dealing with Running backwards on the treadmill guy? He says he does it to work "other muscles" but unless he plans on running his races backwards i dont see the benefit. If you know this guy i could use some help.

Oh by the way, he is also a card carrying member of the lets have an hour long conversation in the locker room about our training with our wangs out club. Yep, there are about 4 or 5 of them and they just seem to love each others company. If you have experience with them, i would love some help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why aren't you running outside?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My local Y has that guy too.
But what I want to know from the slowtwitch women is what is the deal with ladies setting the treadmill to the maximum incline and then doing a 'fast walk' while holding onto the console for dear life for 30 minutes straight?
Maybe it isn't everywhere, but at my YMCA that is what 90% of the women do. They come in, get on the treadmill, crank it up to max incline and walk away. What purpose does that serve?

NOT a fan of the spends-45-minutes-with-my-wang-hanging-out-in-the-locker-room guy.
But, he sure beats the two guys I saw ducking into the shower together the other morning (giggling like schoolgirls).

Anyone else ever get freaked out by runs-really-far-back-on-the-treadmill-(as-in-ALMOST-falling-off-the-back) guy?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [ForzaViola] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh by the way, he is also a card carrying member of the lets have an hour long conversation in the locker room about our training with our wangs out club. Yep, there are about 4 or 5 of them and they just seem to love each others company. If you have experience with them, i would love some help.
We don't have that club at our YMCA but we do have a guy that loves to walk around towel-free and talk to anyone and everyone that comes into the locker room. He'll be in there when I go in for a swim and he's still there (talking to someone else) when I get back to the locker room 30-45 minutes later...

------------------------------------------------
Ann Arbor Triathlon Club

Follow me on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Bulliams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
NOT a fan of the spends-45-minutes-with-my-wang-hanging-out-in-the-locker-room guy.
But, he sure beats the two guys I saw ducking into the shower together the other morning (giggling like schoolgirls).

Anyone else ever get freaked out by runs-really-far-back-on-the-treadmill-(as-in-ALMOST-falling-off-the-back) guy?
Are you in Ann Arbor? I swear to god I saw the exact same thing last week...and see my post above about the spends-45-minutes-with-my-wang-hanging-out-in-the-locker-room guy.

------------------------------------------------
Ann Arbor Triathlon Club

Follow me on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I remember why I bought a home gym unit.

So you can run backwards faster than you should at max incline for five minute intervals while holding onto the handles and eating gels every few minutes before walking around naked for way longer than you should without having to leave the comfort of your basement?
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I'm off to the gym on my lunch hour, this thread has brought back not-so-fond memories:

* The Wang Guys: We have them too. Usually the older guys who love to walk around the locker room with nothing on and groom in front of the mirror for hours...slap a ton of baby powder on the twins, stick Q-tips in their ears, examine what came out in great detail, etc.

* We had one guy swim in his transparent tighty whities. I kid you not. As I was walking into the pool, he hops out of the jacuzzi and the old ladies who were sitting there where quite shocked. He then DIVES into the pool and swims a couple of laps in the lane next to me. At this point, I'm trying to rationalize that yes, there is chlorine in this pool and it is probably taking care of any schmegma this guy is trailing behind him and that really, tighty whities aren't that much different than a swimsuit...but dang: I don't want to see your package.

* Ditto on the lug nuts who drop the heavy dumbbells. These are usually the really big dudes so I don't have room to make fun of them. That's reserved for the guys who bench press for six hours and have big chests, rounded shoulders and tiny little bird legs.

The Outdoor Journey: latest article - Profile of SlowTwitcher: Dr. Jodi Thomson
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Dave Vannette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting Saturday at my gym.

First, as I'm puffing along on the rowing machine (nicely located in back so not bothered by any of the treadmill antic guys), I am bothered by unbelieveably loud grunts from the free weight area, I mean like a tennis player x 100. When I'm done I go around to see who's making all the noise, I figure its gotta be some huge super fit dude, nope so fat sod.

Secondly, the cops were walking what was probably Mr. Wang Exposer out of the building.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You forgot the guy who spends 30 minutes on the leg press machine- nost of it sitting. 5-7 45 lb. plates per side. legs move about 2 inches during rep.
Extra points for heavy droppers using dumbells- doing flys with about 80 lb. dumbells.- just let 'em go when done!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have psych-up for five minutes guy. He does a whole routine, shadow boxing, jumping, yelling before hitting each machine. Guy has bingo arms, bird legs and a gut, but gets bonus points for his mohawk.

Two annoyances for me. The first is the "coach" and secondly, sweaty-hairy guy without the towel....
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [hak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]

* The Wang Guys: We have them too. Usually the older guys who love to walk around the locker room with nothing on and groom in front of the mirror for hours...[/reply]

I had an interesting variation on that guy last winter. He was shaving in front of the mirror wear nothing.... but a heart rate monitor. I cannot figure this one out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about:

"I carry a gallon jug of water with me all over the weightroom" guy?

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Ultimate Fighter Guy- lots of sparring/karate kicks between reps?
How about stretch everything possible between lifts guy? Ours even stretches his fingers and re-folds his towel. Gets about 5 min of actual work per hour.
We also have an interesting woman- she is small and fit and fond of the standing multi hip flexor/adductor/abductor machine. She puts on max weight and the thing lifts her a foot in the air when she lets the bar down. Looks like she is going for a ride with every rep!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking about the walk-around-with-the-wang-hanging-out-and-clean-my-ears-and-examine-and-tonic-my-hair-guys, could someone please explain to me why this person must dry off (all body parts, mind you) with a hair dryer??? I mean, wouldn't it be much easier and faster to dry the twigs & berries off with a towel???

And if anyone has an answer for this - could you please explain why one has to do it while staring at self in the mirror???????

Please - I'd love to know, because it ruins my appetite every time I see it......

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh....we cant let the newbies miss my "Open Letter to the YMCA" from Feb 05...

Quote:

Dear YMCA

As a member who is in the YMCA five to six times a week, a member of Unlimited Fitness and the Men’s Fitness Center I have seen quite a few things at the YMCA in the years. In my time at the YMCA most of the things I see are positive for families to enjoy. Recently however, in the Men’s Fitness Center things have made a change for the worse. My complaint is not about the facilities or the staff of the Fitness Center, rather it is about some of the members.

On a nightly basis there are a few members who will sit in the MFC, not work out, and not use the YMCA facilities for anything other than watching television. This television watching in and of itself would typically not be an issue if not for the fact that these members are disgusting.

One of them you will know is there by his odor. The second you open the door you can smell him. He will have is filthy socks laying over the back of the couch, his T-shirt (as filthy as the socks) will be laying on the couch next to him. During his stay at the YMCA he will sit there and eat some sort of vile food that you can smell throughout the center. This is some sort of smell, much like that of rancid cat food. I have heard members other than myself comment on how it will actually gag you as you walk into the MFC. On occasion this member will actually shower, not often but sometimes. When he does he will sit soaking wet on a towel that is able to cover not much more than the upper thigh of one leg and either sleep or watch television.

Another member – well he likes to watch the showers and whirlpool. He must really enjoy the humidity in the shower area as when he is at the Y, he can always be found somewhere near the showers, staring. There are rumors about this member but none are confirmed. It does make a person feel a bit odd to get out of the shower and have a naked man looking at you try to dry off with out some level of privacy.

Then there is the bike rider…yet another member of the “Citizens United Against Deodorant Club of America”. He will come into the Y (on occasion drunk I think) and stumble into the MFC and sleep on the couch that our other stinky member is not sweating on while eating rancid cat food. This guy is another class act that the YMCA should be proud to proclaim as a member and possibly put on a poster in the hallway. He smells as bad if not worse than any other human being who does not reside in a third world nation (though he is possibly out done by rancid cat food man).

There must be something that the YMCA can do to resolve this situation. I pay quite a bit of money every month to enjoy the YMCA. I would like to be able to sit and read the news paper on occasion in the lounge area of the MFC. However these people make it impossible to enjoy your self as they make the environment either toxic or into a happenstance peep show. I would certainly like for a YMCA manager to contact me and try to find a solution to this issue.

Oh…and also if they could try to get the urinals in the rear rest room area of the MFC to flush properly those of us members who care about such matters would greatly appreciate it.

Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [BIGZACH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about:

"I carry a gallon jug of water with me all over the weightroom" guy?
These guys also always have their gym bag with them at all times.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But what I want to know from the slowtwitch women is what is the deal with ladies setting the treadmill to the maximum incline and then doing a 'fast walk' while holding onto the console for dear life for 30 minutes straight?

What makes you think that the slowtwitch womens (TRIATHLETES) would know the answer to this? We can't magically read the minds of others just because they have the same type of reproductive parts.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
My local Y has that guy too.
Maybe it isn't everywhere, but at my YMCA that is what 90% of the women do. They come in, get on the treadmill, crank it up to max incline and walk away. What purpose does that serve?
Becuase that burns more calories according to the machine....duh :D
Quote Reply
Re: Winter time Gym antics - gotta love it. [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont buy that? Where do you think the aliens got their communication ability on Independence Day? This no doubt was contrived by some genetic female communication system that we men know exists...but cant yet figure out. Your minds are all connected somehow....I know it...

Quote Reply

Prev Next