Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Ted Striker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ted Striker wrote:
BTW, Trisports will have more Aero 30's in 2 days. Price is $74.95 complete with mount and bottle.

So what does $69.95 get you at Trisports? Bottle AND mount?
http://www.trisports.com/...s-aero30-bottle.html

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feature and Specifications:
  • Holds 30oz
  • 72-degree trailing-edge bottle
  • Compatible adjustable mount can accommodate bar widths up to 14cm
  • AeroFlow™ straw housing & straw
  • Aero bar dual-channel mounting system
  • Weight: TBD
  • Looks like it includes the mount as well. If it doesn't, they need to take that "Feature and Specification" off.
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [bwain] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I figured as much, but didn't want to "assume" anything.

I wanna go fast!
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [bwain] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    do you plan to sell extra caps or straws for replacement parts?

Member HED, Cervelo, De Soto Mafia
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Koncity] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Koncity wrote:
    do you plan to sell extra caps or straws for replacement parts?

Yes, you can contact us directly for those parts.
    info@torhans.com
    Thanks,
    HB

Hans Bielat
    TorHans LLC Co-Founder, Owner, Chief Innovation Officer
    http://www.torhans.com
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Ted Striker wrote:
    You can look on our site and see the wind tunnel data of our bottle vs. the equivalent size competitors bottle. We had a significant decrease in drag vs. that bottle. The data is on the front page of our site. Our bottle is a constant high aspect ratio airfoil from bottom to top, including straw. With the correct set up it can make your bike faster, in other cases it is only about a ~20 gram increase in drag. If you have an SC with our bottle, it will be faster than carrying 30oz on the frame or behind you.Were headed out again to A2 again to test our Aero 20 and other competitors products, including behind the seat hydration. We meant to do this test earlier but have been waiting for our 20 to be finished. As for behind the seat hydration, I'll let others on this site comment on that method of hydration. I will guarantee you it is not as aerodynamic. If you have data to prove otherwise please let us know. But again, I will be more than happy to provide that to you.

I have a SC so this caught my eye. I definitely don't wan't to put bottles behind me as I can't afford wind tunnel testing to get them in the "exact" spot. I run an aero bottle on the downtube for liquid nutrition so my question is how did this compare to between the arms horizontal mount (which is currently my plan for on-course water). Sorry if I missed that, was it one of the original "competitors"?

Cheers

----
    There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming. - Tolkien.
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [kevhill] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    kevhill wrote:
    Ted Striker wrote:
    You can look on our site and see the wind tunnel data of our bottle vs. the equivalent size competitors bottle. We had a significant decrease in drag vs. that bottle. The data is on the front page of our site. Our bottle is a constant high aspect ratio airfoil from bottom to top, including straw. With the correct set up it can make your bike faster, in other cases it is only about a ~20 gram increase in drag. If you have an SC with our bottle, it will be faster than carrying 30oz on the frame or behind you.Were headed out again to A2 again to test our Aero 20 and other competitors products, including behind the seat hydration. We meant to do this test earlier but have been waiting for our 20 to be finished. As for behind the seat hydration, I'll let others on this site comment on that method of hydration. I will guarantee you it is not as aerodynamic. If you have data to prove otherwise please let us know. But again, I will be more than happy to provide that to you.

I have a SC so this caught my eye. I definitely don't wan't to put bottles behind me as I can't afford wind tunnel testing to get them in the "exact" spot. I run an aero bottle on the downtube for liquid nutrition so my question is how did this compare to between the arms horizontal mount (which is currently my plan for on-course water). Sorry if I missed that, was it one of the original "competitors"?

Cheers

Instead of giving you my bias speculation, I'll have actual results to answer that in a few weeks. It was not what we initially tested against. We tested against the competing aero bottle product that has been on the market for a long time. We did test frame bottles as well, vs. some of our aero frame bottle prototypes and one competing aero frame bottle. Those results we have not posted since we do not yet have an aero frame bottle on the market. But we will very soon. In short I can tell you having a round bottle on the seat tube was not a good option as far as aerodynamics are concerned.
    Best,
    HB

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Just got the Aero 30 system and did my first race with it this weekend. I wanted to pass a couple notes and ask a question -

The Bottle - Awesome (with one caveat below). Thin. Quick fill. Good size. Good straw and aero cover. Love it.

The Bracket - Awesome. Completely adjustable. Love the click in bottle. Used the optional zip ties in the loops at the opening of the bracket and it was rock solid. Fantastic design. Fits a wide variety of bars. Mine are about as close together as they can be and I had no issue.

The Tray - Awesome! Again, used the optional zip ties in the loops to secure it and it was rock solid. I had my Garmin 800 mounted on it and it was perfect.

Now ... my one knock - the splashing. When over 75% full (give or take), the contents splash a lot when going over bumps. It does not take much of a bump to cause the splash. But, my test ride was with sports drink and I made it less than a block before it was all over my Garmin and my bars. Any suggestions for reducing this?

During my race, I only used water in the bottle. Only 16 oz at a time, so, it never got full enough to splash. It did at one point, but, only a little and it was just water. But, for my IM, I would like to dump 2 bottles of sports drink in, but, don't want to wear it.

Overall - the splashing is minor and the quick fix is less contents. The system as a whole is so great, I will take the tradeoff. But, if there is a trick I am missing, I would love to hear it.

FYI. Here are pics of my set up (without the optional zip ties):

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [JSA] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I put some blue painters tape over the top - easy to peal back and no splash.
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [JSA] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    JSA wrote:
    Just got the Aero 30 system and did my first race with it this weekend. I wanted to pass a couple notes and ask a question -

The Bottle - Awesome (with one caveat below). Thin. Quick fill. Good size. Good straw and aero cover. Love it.

The Bracket - Awesome. Completely adjustable. Love the click in bottle. Used the optional zip ties in the loops at the opening of the bracket and it was rock solid. Fantastic design. Fits a wide variety of bars. Mine are about as close together as they can be and I had no issue.

The Tray - Awesome! Again, used the optional zip ties in the loops to secure it and it was rock solid. I had my Garmin 800 mounted on it and it was perfect.

Now ... my one knock - the splashing. When over 75% full (give or take), the contents splash a lot when going over bumps. It does not take much of a bump to cause the splash. But, my test ride was with sports drink and I made it less than a block before it was all over my Garmin and my bars. Any suggestions for reducing this?

During my race, I only used water in the bottle. Only 16 oz at a time, so, it never got full enough to splash. It did at one point, but, only a little and it was just water. But, for my IM, I would like to dump 2 bottles of sports drink in, but, don't want to wear it.

Overall - the splashing is minor and the quick fix is less contents. The system as a whole is so great, I will take the tradeoff. But, if there is a trick I am missing, I would love to hear it.

FYI. Here are pics of my set up (without the optional zip ties):

Hi JSA,

More than likely you have the original 8 cut molded cut cover that does not do so well when it comes to splashing issues. Good news though, email us at info@torhans.com, 'new cover' in the subject line, and of course with your address. We'll get the new thicker 6 cut, die cut, cover out to you and any other ST'ers or Aero 30 owners who want one. These are free. And they are much better than the original 8 cut. We're shipping out all new covers tomorrow to all who have emailed us in the last week. All of our retailers should also have the new covers as well. Also, we just received our first samples of our new 'splash funnel.' This will make the Aero 30 a dual barrier, no splash, fill on the go system. The splash funnel will be standard on the very soon to be released Aero 20, (22oz) bottle. You can see pics of it on our Facebook page.

Thanks for posting the pics and the feedback. We do listen to all of our athletes comments.

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Ok, add great customer service to great product! Thank you for the quick response!

Yes, I have the "old" 8 cut cap. I will send the email shortly to get the "new" 6 cut cap.

Thanks again!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Hey Ted,

I just sent an email to info@torhans.com after reading your post about the new 6 cut covers for the Aero30. Hopefully, you can get me on the list of people to send a new cover out to. The splashing thing is a minor issue, but I'm glad to see you've come up with a fix for it.

Overall, I love my Aero30. I switched to the Aero30 after finding it pretty difficult (and annoying) the get a normal bottle out of a horizontal cage between the aerobars while trying to maintain aero positioning. It is so much more convenient to just sip from the Aero30 throughout the ride. And as a plus, your bottle is so much more stable than my old Profile Design Aerodrink, and apparently much more aero.

The only other question I have about the Aero30 is in regards to the little aero sleeve for the straw. I find that after riding over some larger bumps, the aero cover usually gets jostled out of position and will often turn to one side or the other, and not maintain its aero alignment with the rest of the bottle. I am thinking that this might partially be an issue that is related to the splashing because when the bottle splashes, it gets the straw cover pretty wet and this may increase the "slippery-ness" of that connection. Do you have any solution for this? Anybody else out there having this problem? I was thinking I might wait and see if the new 6 cut cover helps decrease the splashing and solve the issue. If that doesn't work though, I might just use a few dabs of superglue at the bottom of the aero straw cover to keep it in place...

AAA Tri Team | Team Sports Bistro
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [benjaminrpulley] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    I noticed that as well. The tray was also just a bit short for a Joule 2 when I put mine on. Moving the tray to the upper channel eliminates the Joule 2 bumping against the back end of aerobar mounting bracket but even after that the tray is about 1/8" too short.

Chris
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    benjaminrpulley wrote:
    Hey Ted,

I just sent an email to info@torhans.com after reading your post about the new 6 cut covers for the Aero30. Hopefully, you can get me on the list of people to send a new cover out to. The splashing thing is a minor issue, but I'm glad to see you've come up with a fix for it.

Overall, I love my Aero30. I switched to the Aero30 after finding it pretty difficult (and annoying) the get a normal bottle out of a horizontal cage between the aerobars while trying to maintain aero positioning. It is so much more convenient to just sip from the Aero30 throughout the ride. And as a plus, your bottle is so much more stable than my old Profile Design Aerodrink, and apparently much more aero.

The only other question I have about the Aero30 is in regards to the little aero sleeve for the straw. I find that after riding over some larger bumps, the aero cover usually gets jostled out of position and will often turn to one side or the other, and not maintain its aero alignment with the rest of the bottle. I am thinking that this might partially be an issue that is related to the splashing because when the bottle splashes, it gets the straw cover pretty wet and this may increase the "slippery-ness" of that connection. Do you have any solution for this? Anybody else out there having this problem? I was thinking I might wait and see if the new 6 cut cover helps decrease the splashing and solve the issue. If that doesn't work though, I might just use a few dabs of superglue at the bottom of the aero straw cover to keep it in place...

Benjamin,

We do know about the Aero sleeve and yes it has been addressed. A little background on it though. When we designed the original bottle the Aero mast was part of the Aero 30 bottle and could be cut to length by the customer and then they would just drop in the tubing. But in the rare case that a rider would go over the bar and crash we did not want in a there to even be a 1 and a million chance the rider could take an aero mast to the jugular. So we designed so it will always fail when the slightest amount of pressure is applied to the top of the straw or mast. And it is made out of soft flexible material as well for that reason.

For the Aero 20 we've increased height of the collar and peg slightly. Also, the Aero mast has been redesigned to be more of a compression fit on the 20 and will be available for the 30. But it will still fail, just not come off over hard bumps anymore. But you can easily remedy the current aero mast if it is 'bumping' off the collar and the peg over big bumps.

And an FYI, the aero mast does make a difference! We confirmed this in CFD and validated it in the wind tunnel. Round is bad! Exposed brake and shifter cables make a big difference too.

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    chrisesposito wrote:
    I noticed that as well. The tray was also just a bit short for a Joule 2 when I put mine on. Moving the tray to the upper channel eliminates the Joule 2 bumping against the back end of aerobar mounting bracket but even after that the tray is about 1/8" too short.

Chris

Chris,

I have a Joule 2 as well. Email me and I'll show you a pic of how I have it mounted on the tray. It does work much better on the Aero 20 though.

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    What about a flip lid with NO cuts? That seems to be a common mod to the aerodrinks as it's not hard to flip it open when coming up on an aid station. And then you can fill it pretty much right to the top.
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Thanks. I sent an email to info@torhans.com
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Khyron] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    That's a good idea.

I have to say that this system works better for me than any other option I've tried. I have the torpedo mount, but a bottle doesn't fit on my short aerobars (need to sell that). I've used Profile Design for years, but couldn't see my computer on the stem b/c of the bottle shape. I have the new lid, and it helps. I'm looking forward to the splash funnel, I really like the concept.

For the straw mast moving, I have put a few strips of electrical tape around the straw, so the mast fits on more snugly. Yest, it still does bounce of the little knob on the bottle, but it just rides along slightly higher and is not an issue.

Most importantly, I am totally impressed by the company and their customer service. They have helped me out a lot, and they are addressing the problems with some really great out of the box thinking.
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Has the splashing issue been resolved with the new covers? Also, can a Garmin 305 be mounted on the tray? I have only used the Garmin mounting piece and the mount needs to be mounted over a bar because of ts shape.

Quote | Reply
    Yes you can mount the Garmin to the tray. We have a Garmin 500 unit mounted on our display bike. Use the 'O' rings that it comes with and slide them through and around the slots on the tray.
    Thanks,
    Hans

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Ted,
    Is the TorHans 20 more aero than the TorHans 30? Also, which position for the TorHans is better from an aerodynamic point of view (mounted in the high or the low channel)?
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Scott_B wrote:
    Ted,
    Is the TorHans 20 more aero than the TorHans 30? Also, which position for the TorHans is better from an aerodynamic point of view (mounted in the high or the low channel)?

The 20 tested the best averaged out through all yaw angles. The 30 was better at 0 and 15. At 0 yaw the 20 tested slightly better mounted in the lower channel (mounted higher).

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Hans,

I am considering a TorHans for long course racing. I have use an SRM Power Control VI. Is there an easy way to mount this on the tray, perhaps using Velcro?

Many thanks.
    Quote Reply
    Re: TorHans Aero Hydration [FlaRider] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    FlaRider wrote:
    Hans,

I am considering a TorHans for long course racing. I have use an SRM Power Control VI. Is there an easy way to mount this on the tray, perhaps using Velcro?

Many thanks.

Hmmm. I don't have an SRM myself but I know one of my teammates does. I'll check it out. Email me @ hans@torhans.com. Usually velcro and secured with one of the cable ties works. That is how I have the Joule 2.0 mounted on my tray.

Hans

Hans Bielat
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    benjaminrpulley wrote:

Benjamin -

Don't use superglue on the aero sleeve - instead, use some clear silicone. Superglue will corrode the plastic, where silicone is removable when needed. It worked well for me.

Coach TJ Tryon - Open Water Swim Clinics | Facebook | @tjtryon

Ask me about: T3 Multisport | Gu Energy | Torhans | Xterra Wetsuits (discount code) | Karbon Speed - discount code: COACHTJ | Uvex Helmets
    Quote Reply

Prev Next