Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two things.

#1 The ride of silence last night was one of the most touching, inspiring, speechless, sad, out of body experiences I've ever had the privilege to partake in. the Kzoo community is top-notch and has been deeply affected by this.

#2. He is being charged with 5 counts of 2nd degree murder and 4 counts of reckless driving causing serious impairment.

We will be stronger for this senseless act and ways to combat these issues are being taken by many.

#kalamazoostrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I think there is just an ingrained visceral notion in many drivers' heads that cyclists should not be there in the road. Other motor vehicles, even if moving slowly are "normal" annoyances which can upset people but generally don't give permission to go crazy. But cyclists somehow, in drivers' minds, are doing something bad to them and on purpose. More widespread education on cyclists' road rights could actually help a bit with that.

Is it just impatience on the motorists' part or the assumption that a car should always have the room to pass a bike? It seems that unless they ride a bike, motorists have no idea how wide a margin they should give, and that if there isn't enough room for the bike, the margin, and the car, they're within rights to squeeze by rather than wait for a better opportunity to pass.

To me, this fits with the lack of education and rolls into the impatience you talk about that have led to many of the non-blatantly hostile close calls I've had.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:
The highest "murder" charge in Michigan I think he could be charged with is involuntary manslaughter (aside from, of course, him admitting he meant to kill or hurt these cyclists). And I think STP is right, it's not a slam dunk if he wasn't drunk or high on something. But it's not crazy to go forward with the charges if he was just simply speeding or driving recklessly -- a death "resulting from recklessness" is right in the definition. (http://statelaws.findlaw.com/...anslaughter-law.html)

Supposedly a warrant will be issued today, so we'll find out. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Meanwhile, they had a memorial ride yesterday for the victims: http://woodtv.com/...for-killed-cyclists/

Quoted in post 3 or 4 is MI's second degree murder charge language. Might apply here. But I am not a MI lawyer so would defer to them. They'll charge the most serious offense they think they can convict on, including lesser offenses

As to the post above yours I think I read somewhere that there was a witness on the phone just prior to the accident and sounds like they saw it as well

I'm very glad to be wrong here. Five counts of second degree murder: http://www.freep.com/...d5f820e426986c8e0113
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty certain that there is evidenced research that the "i didn't see them" is actually true

It applies to motorbikes.

Car at t-junction, driver sweara they saw nothing, pulls out and is broadsided

And its not people distracted, or "not paying attention" (they are paying attention but they are looking for the wrong things)

I think the research has demonstrated that drivers are looking for cars / vans / lorries and this is to do with the frequency with which they encounter them

So they make quick decisions, miss the biker and the rest is history

I appreciate that this situation is different and that there are many instances of rage against cyclists but there are incidents where people simply make a mistake, they dont see something they are not looking for and it goes wrong. I'm not sure what the appropriate penalty is but the defense that they did not see them is legitimate whether we wish to accept abd acknowledge it or not
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [metafizx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
WWMT-TT went to Pickett’s home for comment on Wednesday, but said the family threatened to chase a reporter and cameraman off their property with a front end loader and then pursued the news crew in a car after the verbal altercation.

Nice.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a nest of cockroaches no doubt
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew,

I see your point.

However, on the work-back, then, drivers need to be educated to look for and see, the cyclist, the pedestrian (pedestrian injury and death is a staggering number to) and other road users.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
jeremyscarroll wrote:
The highest "murder" charge in Michigan I think he could be charged with is involuntary manslaughter (aside from, of course, him admitting he meant to kill or hurt these cyclists). And I think STP is right, it's not a slam dunk if he wasn't drunk or high on something. But it's not crazy to go forward with the charges if he was just simply speeding or driving recklessly -- a death "resulting from recklessness" is right in the definition. (http://statelaws.findlaw.com/...anslaughter-law.html)

Supposedly a warrant will be issued today, so we'll find out. Hopefully they do the right thing.

Meanwhile, they had a memorial ride yesterday for the victims: http://woodtv.com/...for-killed-cyclists/

Quoted in post 3 or 4 is MI's second degree murder charge language. Might apply here. But I am not a MI lawyer so would defer to them. They'll charge the most serious offense they think they can convict on, including lesser offenses

As to the post above yours I think I read somewhere that there was a witness on the phone just prior to the accident and sounds like they saw it as well

I'm very glad to be wrong here. Five counts of second degree murder: http://www.freep.com/...d5f820e426986c8e0113

Nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the problem is its not just education. Its frequency of events.

Its completely experiential. Lots of decisions when driving are sub-conscious- simply habit. What were expecting is a driver who, lets say hits 500 or thousand junctions a year to see a motorcyclist. The bike is such a rare event in a situation where ot matters, that when it does happen it can get missed

Part of the solution to this lies with car manufacturers and sensing and removing some of the burden from the driver to f@@k it up
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
beercity wrote:
Well Garmin Varia and a new compatible cycling computer just went into the Amazon cart. If I dont stay ahead of this the wife might try and keep me off the road.

Serious question... how does the Varia help? I'm guessing by your name that you're in Grand Rapids or at least familiar with the area. I routinely ride on Belding road and it seems relatively safe b/c of the huge shoulder, despite the high traffic and speeds. I was thinking about getting something like the Varia but I'm not sure how much it would help as I'm being passed by cars every minute or two. From what I understand, my Garmin computer would flash to let me know someone was coming and then the rear lights would blink to (hopefully) alert the driver. I'm not sure what I would do with the knowledge that someone is coming when it happens so regularly. If I was riding less frequently traveled back roads it might be more useful. As for the rear lights, wouldn't a bright blinky light accomplish the same things? I'm honestly curious to hear how this has worked for people. This incident hit pretty close to home and my wife, who was already nervous about me riding outside, is going to be pretty worked up over this.

I'm in GR as well (South of Zeeland, close to Hudsonville). I can't imagine riding on Belding Road. I ride in farm country usually toward Allegan (turn around is near Hopkins). On century rides, I circle through Grand Haven. I pick routes that have minimal traffic. I would guess on a 100 mile ride, at most 50 cars pass me. On my shorter rides, maybe 10. I really really really like riding the Barry Roubaix gravel road route. In 36 miles, maybe 2 cars.

With all that said, it only takes on car....I'd ride inside as well, but my ass can't take it. After an hour, it's so sore.

Quote | Reply
Than you for being a voice of reason and common sense.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [metafizx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In this particular instance it seemed very clear what happened from the onset...... all this talk about rider safety, what can we do blah,blah,blah, made about as much sense as a a discussion of bowling ball safety to bowling pins.... This was a sick twisted m****r f****r who decided to mow down as many of theses cyclist as he could..... no protecting against that.

At best this might give a brief uptick of motorist vigilance in the community but that's about all the happy face that can be painted on this by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Ontario as well. My routine, as you've indicated, is to give a friendly wave when drivers give me room. I figure it is a simple gesture of respect that may impact that drivers mind in a positive way. Also, over time with some of the habitual routes I follow, I have noticed an improvement in this regard. I hope this trend continues.

Rob

http://www.robskonadreamin.com/
https://twitter.com/KonaDreamin66
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a cyclist with plenty - many years worth of - road biking. This event - tragic, horrible for those involved and their families/friends/loved one - is unbelievably horrible. But this happens *all the time* to single cyclists. The tragedy seems much worse when a douchebag/drunk/texting/evil MF runs over multiple cyclists in a group. But what if there was only one cyclist? CNN does not show up. Just another statistic. This is an opportunity - horrible as it is - to raise awareness as the majority of such attacks are less sensational.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those who might want to beef up their visibility on the road like I am doing, there happens to be a sweet deal on Serfas Thunderbolt tail lights on Amazon right now. Red light with yellow casing is $24.55, these are usually in the high $30s.

http://amzn.to/1UGEgSx

Red, green, blue, and pink are also down in price as well now.

Last edited by: beercity: Jun 10, 16 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Kona Dreamin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona Dreamin wrote:
I live in Ontario as well. My routine, as you've indicated, is to give a friendly wave when drivers give me room. I figure it is a simple gesture of respect that may impact that drivers mind in a positive way. Also, over time with some of the habitual routes I follow, I have noticed an improvement in this regard. I hope this trend continues.

I try to do this as often as I can as well. I check my 6 pretty often when riding and as I hear or see a vehicle approaching I'll keep double checking behind me to see what they are planing on doing. As soon as I see them either slow down because it isn't safe to pass, or when I see them start to cross the center line to give me room, I give them a friendly wave. At intersections where drivers wave me through and give me the right of way, I also either nod, yell thanks, or give them a wave. I hope this helps not only increase visibility and goodwill, but just give the person behind the wheel that I'm a person and not just a bike.

This is a crappy situation in K-zoo. My hope is they make an example of the driver that hopefully will raise other motorists awareness of what can happen if they hit or harass cyclists and pedestrians.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Its completely experiential. Lots of decisions when driving are sub-conscious- simply habit. What were expecting is a driver who, lets say hits 500 or thousand junctions a year to see a motorcyclist. The bike is such a rare event in a situation where ot matters, that when it does happen it can get missed

Part of the solution to this lies with car manufacturers and sensing and removing some of the burden from the driver to f@@k it up

It's been shown that *how* you look is the most important factor: scanning the road is highly error-prone, while actually looking (as in staring) in a given direction is far more likely to spot areas of concern. Your brain has lots of ways to detect movement, but it is more capable when the field of vision is not also moving.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NormM wrote:

In this particular instance it seemed very clear what happened from the onset...... all this talk about rider safety, what can we do blah,blah,blah, made about as much sense as a a discussion of bowling ball safety to bowling pins.... This was a sick twisted m****r f****r who decided to mow down as many of theses cyclist as he could..... no protecting against that.

At best this might give a brief uptick of motorist vigilance in the community but that's about all the happy face that can be painted on this by me.

^^^ this.

This road had a shoulder, not huge, but it wasn't narrow... though the riders could have been side by side, early in the ride, 35mph zone semi-residential.

At least 2 riders had mirrors

The driver about 20 minutes earlier appears to have driven clear off the road, nearly hit a house and kept going. Based on Google maps, the road was straight.

Tuesday evening 8:30PM, light traffic, I'm jogging against traffic, just on the road left of the fog line. No cars are approaching me, so I'm on the pavement, not the shoulder. Suddenly a car whizzes past me from behind about 2-3' away going probably 70mph. The car was making a triple pass of 3 slower vehicles. I was really hoping at that moment he lost control and ditched it. I was wearing a bright neon green long sleeve shirt, setting sun to my back, sunset is 9:00pm right now where I live.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that but we , collectively, need to stop this "throw the book at them, teach everyone a lesson" gut response to every incident

Firstly they're not all the same and secondly the punishment should fit the crime and drivers are fallible. You can not mistake proof driving and driving is not like the airline industry where every incident is an opportunity to share learning

Most people have half a dozen or dozen lessons, pass a test and get behind the wheel. We should be more surprised the levels of carnage are not higher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
And its not people distracted, or "not paying attention" (they are paying attention but they are looking for the wrong things)

I think the research has demonstrated that drivers are looking for cars / vans / lorries and this is to do with the frequency with which they encounter them

There was a study, which I can't find at the moment, that showed a large percentage of people are only looking for what can hurt them, so a vehicle of equivalent or larger size. So yes, looking for the wrong things.

Part of driver education ought to be walking and cycling in close proximity to fast traffic (some sort of controlled situation so no-one could be injured). And a longer, scarier version for all local/state police training as well. Walk and ride in our shoes.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
Kona Dreamin wrote:

I try to do this as often as I can as well. I check my 6 pretty often when riding and as I hear or see a vehicle approaching I'll keep double checking behind me to see what they are planing on doing. As soon as I see them either slow down because it isn't safe to pass, or when I see them start to cross the center line to give me room, I give them a friendly wave. At intersections where drivers wave me through and give me the right of way, I also either nod, yell thanks, or give them a wave. I hope this helps not only increase visibility and goodwill, but just give the person behind the wheel that I'm a person and not just a bike.

This is a crappy situation in K-zoo. My hope is they make an example of the driver that hopefully will raise other motorists awareness of what can happen if they hit or harass cyclists and pedestrians.
I do this too and I'm of the opinion that this is the single biggest impact you can make to cyclist safety.
I'm not just a cyclist, I'm a motorist too as I'm sure nearly all of you are. I know how we motorists can get rather irrationally upset by delays and offences (real or imagined). It makes a huge difference when someone who's just done something dangerous or discourteous apologises or someone who held you up thanks you. If I've been getting annoyed, which I'll admit I sometimes do, this diffuses things. We don't want angry motorists, nor do we want motorists building up a prejudiced view of cyclists based primarily on imagined wrongdoings and attitudes, the result of driver frustration rather than reality. A little courtesy goes a long way to eliminating this.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [S Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
S Train wrote:
STP wrote:
I think there is just an ingrained visceral notion in many drivers' heads that cyclists should not be there in the road. Other motor vehicles, even if moving slowly are "normal" annoyances which can upset people but generally don't give permission to go crazy. But cyclists somehow, in drivers' minds, are doing something bad to them and on purpose. More widespread education on cyclists' road rights could actually help a bit with that.

Is it just impatience on the motorists' part or the assumption that a car should always have the room to pass a bike? It seems that unless they ride a bike, motorists have no idea how wide a margin they should give, and that if there isn't enough room for the bike, the margin, and the car, they're within rights to squeeze by rather than wait for a better opportunity to pass.

To me, this fits with the lack of education and rolls into the impatience you talk about that have led to many of the non-blatantly hostile close calls I've had.

I can't even count the number of times while riding on a low traffic backcountry road that motorists have passed far too closely to me giving me no room for error. Often times there are no other cars and they could easily swing far out wide. Other times, they can't wait literally 5-10 seconds for the car coming in the opposite direction get past.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [ergopower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ergopower wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

There was a study, which I can't find at the moment, that showed a large percentage of people are only looking for what can hurt them, so a vehicle of equivalent or larger size. So yes, looking for the wrong things.

Part of driver education ought to be walking and cycling in close proximity to fast traffic (some sort of controlled situation so no-one could be injured). And a longer, scarier version for all local/state police training as well. Walk and ride in our shoes.

I always though that everyone should experience a bicycle flying past them inches away from behind as part of drivers ed. Then remind them that the rider and bike is only 200lbs, not 3000lbs+.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [billf5293] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The damage to the bikes is bad, but the really scary thing is the damage to the truck. It looks like it hit a car, not bikes. So sad.

--Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next