Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
Well Garmin Varia and a new compatible cycling computer just went into the Amazon cart. If I dont stay ahead of this the wife might try and keep me off the road.

Serious question... how does the Varia help? I'm guessing by your name that you're in Grand Rapids or at least familiar with the area. I routinely ride on Belding road and it seems relatively safe b/c of the huge shoulder, despite the high traffic and speeds. I was thinking about getting something like the Varia but I'm not sure how much it would help as I'm being passed by cars every minute or two. From what I understand, my Garmin computer would flash to let me know someone was coming and then the rear lights would blink to (hopefully) alert the driver. I'm not sure what I would do with the knowledge that someone is coming when it happens so regularly. If I was riding less frequently traveled back roads it might be more useful. As for the rear lights, wouldn't a bright blinky light accomplish the same things? I'm honestly curious to hear how this has worked for people. This incident hit pretty close to home and my wife, who was already nervous about me riding outside, is going to be pretty worked up over this.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Garmin Varia and a new compatible cycling computer just went into the Amazon cart. If I dont stay ahead of this the wife might try and keep me off the road.

I survived being hit by a pick-up truck in 2014, while touring, and haven't been on the road again. Maybe I'm just more aware of the number of accidents now but there sure seem to be a lot.Cars and bikes just don't work together so unless the road is closed to traffic, or it is off-road, I don't bike anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
beercity wrote:

Serious question... how does the Varia help? I'm guessing by your name that you're in Grand Rapids or at least familiar with the area. I routinely ride on Belding road and it seems relatively safe b/c of the huge shoulder, despite the high traffic and speeds. I was thinking about getting something like the Varia but I'm not sure how much it would help as I'm being passed by cars every minute or two. From what I understand, my Garmin computer would flash to let me know someone was coming and then the rear lights would blink to (hopefully) alert the driver. I'm not sure what I would do with the knowledge that someone is coming when it happens so regularly. If I was riding less frequently traveled back roads it might be more useful. As for the rear lights, wouldn't a bright blinky light accomplish the same things? I'm honestly curious to hear how this has worked for people. This incident hit pretty close to home and my wife, who was already nervous about me riding outside, is going to be pretty worked up over this.

Yeah my thought it as least if I am about to be hit I would like to know it. I have been buzzed a few times during the Ada time trials, that is a pretty busy road with a wide shoulder. But something to keep in mind with Michigan roads is that you do not always have the shoulder even if it is wide, the pavement is getting so bad that there are some places where you just have to take the lane due to potholes, debris/glass, or stopped vehicles or other riders.

Plus there are plenty of people that drive distracted and go all over the shoulder. At least with Varia I can see when cars are approaching and hopefully take a glance to make sure they are going to yield, especially if I am in the lane and not the shoulder.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:

Get a $5 a helmet mirror if you want to know what's coming up behind you. Cheaper and works better. You can't realistically escape off pavement into a ditch because a computer is telling you to! You could however if you see a car headed right for you in a mirror. One of these things gives you 100% accurate information. The other runs software coded by Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Don't know for certain but this may have been a group ride from Alfred E. Bike. They have a Tuesday night group ride that goes down Westnedge ( The road where this happened ). I bought my first tri bike from them. Just unbelievable.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm nearly positive it wasn't as the AE ride was cancelled last night. This was another group though that rides on Tuesday nights. I don't want to speculate but I'm fairly certain from the Facebook feedback of what group it was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
COROS Sports Science

Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and call it manslaughter. Or perhaps murder.
Eta for the record, MI defines second degree murder as "a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.". Could be....

Yep, I agree, this is murder. It would not be surprising to find out the driver was drunk. I bet the defense will use some stupid excuse like "side effects from doctor prescribed medication". There's no excuse. This guy should go to jail for the rest of his life after killing five people.

^this

and all of the other posters suggesting bright colored cycling jersey's, lights, mirrors, helmets, high viz etc - suggesting that cyclists should do all these things to "protect themselves" is just giving drivers/society more excuses for victim blaming.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
I'm sure this is a very trying time for the driver... hasn't he suffered enough?

eye3md wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
I'm just gonna go out on a limb and call it manslaughter. Or perhaps murder.

Eta for the record, MI defines second degree murder as "a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.". Could be....

Yep, I agree, this is murder. It would not be surprising to find out the driver was drunk. I bet the defense will use some stupid excuse like "side effects from doctor prescribed medication". There's no excuse. This guy should go to jail for the rest of his life after killing five people.

Yep, why should his life be ruined for 20 mins of action? Seriously though, would anyone be surprised to see this guy get nothing more than leaving the scene of an accident? It would be par for the course.

I concur completely. There is a very small percentage of cyclists who will ever be involved in car/vehicle incidence. Life is pretty dangerous. Anything I do can get me hurt or killed. Or not.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
beercity wrote:

Get a $5 a helmet mirror if you want to know what's coming up behind you. Cheaper and works better. You can't realistically escape off pavement into a ditch because a computer is telling you to! You could however if you see a car headed right for you in a mirror. One of these things gives you 100% accurate information. The other runs software coded by Garmin.
A mirror might help, but reaction time is hard to judge. It's always tough for the human brain to say "hey I'm going to injure myself on purpose". Especially when it's so rare that a car is actually going to hit you. You'll mostly give the benefit of the doubt and by the time you realize you're *really* in danger, it's hard to react.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if at least one of those riders had a helmet mirror.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, while you are well meaning, I think that the responses here are appropriate. Much like when we hear of a shark attack on a swimmer, the risks of our our hobby suddenly become very real (even if not likely from an odds perspective) and we (I) place ourselves in the position of the victim of the "crime" (and yes, I believe very much this is a crime, not an accident), or their family. It's human nature.

Add to this evidence of erratic driving before the crash and the fleeing afterwards. Speculation is one thing. Putting 2 and 2 together is quite another, and which we are in my opinion entitled to do in order to help process this. We need to not think of it as an "accident" but an assault on us. We can wear pink colors and flashing lights and mirrors, but as noted we need to be more aggressive about getting laws passed that protect us, and ensuring that those that assault us are appropriately punished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Tom Demerly and All,

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812035.pdf

Excerpt:

"Per vehicle mile traveled, motorcyclists were more than 26 times more likely than passenger car occupants to die in a traffic crash."

Granted that motorcycles are not bicycles ..... and many motorcycle crashes are due to the speed of the motorcycle at the time of the crash ......

However ..... dissimilar vehicles in terms of speed, weight, and occupant protection do not mix well.

Additionally according to the Dept of Transportation there are over 5000 motor vehicle rear end crashes each day.

Support improved bicycle infrastructure ..... including (physically) separated bike lanes.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/...elane_pdg/page00.cfm

http://www.bikeleague.org/...making-biking-better

The leaders of the Alliance for Biking & Walking, Bikes Belong, and the League of American Bicyclists (LAB) have decided to untie to make their voice and efforts stronger and more efficient!

“Leaders of the three groups issued a joint statement summarizing the outcome of their recent meeting in San Diego, February 13-14,” LAB just noted on its blog.

“We can transform communities across the United States and accelerate the creation of a more bicycle-friendly America by combining the programs, resources, and members of these three leading organizations,” said Chris Fortune, Chairman of the Bikes Belong board and member of the transition team empowered to facilitate unification of the three groups.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beercity wrote:
eye3md wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:
I'm sure this is a very trying time for the driver... hasn't he suffered enough?

That's the new defense after it appears to have been used successfully in the Stanford swimmer's sexual assault defense....."are we gonna let 20 minutes of action ruin this kid's life"

Yep, I guess we should just make all punishment times proportional to the length of the crime.

We could start by making driving under the influence a much more serious crime. In most of the US it is only a misdemeanor. In much of the rest of the world it is a felony. If drinking at getting behind the wheel of a rolling 5000 lb. death machine had more serious consequences, far fewer people would do it.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is horrible.

Reading some of the comments on news articles about this story is a good way to get a reality check about the general driving public.

Sad, sad, sad day.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
This is horrible.

Reading some of the comments on news articles about this story is a good way to get a reality check about the general driving public.

Sad, sad, sad day.

I learned to never, ever read the comments on stories like that
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
It is stories like this that make me want to ride more and more on my kickr in the basement.

Joel

Exactly why I'm riding my smart trainer now. You can't stop the drivers who are distracted by their phones, drunk or angry.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
This is horrible.

Sad, sad, sad day.

I learned to never, ever read the comments on stories like that

Agreed. I won't read them.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joelt wrote:
It is stories like this that make me want to ride more and more on my kickr in the basement.

Joel

It has been stories like this that have had me do 100% of my bike training indoors on my trainer.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a guy driving a truck basically do the same thing here. 3 teenagers were walking at the far side of the road, and he hit and killed two of them.
The excuse as he was on ambian. So, walking on the side of the road is just as dangerous as biking.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. October wrote:
beercity wrote:
eye3md wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

That's the new defense after it appears to have been used successfully in the Stanford swimmer's sexual assault defense....."are we gonna let 20 minutes of action ruin this kid's life"

Yep, I guess we should just make all punishment times proportional to the length of the crime.

We could start by making driving under the influence a much more serious crime. In most of the US it is only a misdemeanor. In much of the rest of the world it is a felony. If drinking at getting behind the wheel of a rolling 5000 lb. death machine had more serious consequences, far fewer people would do it.

Nah, people taking drugs do not hurt anyone. See these type of posts on ST all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Varia and ride with it often..

I ride my bike most often in Vancouver where I am being passed by vehicles consistently. During these rides, the radar itself for me is quite useless. It's just a constant stream of lights. I will use if I am passing another cyclist and want to quickly see there is a car near to me (and shoulder check to confirm that).

I find it useful for me in situations where I am riding out on a country road and am only being passed sporadically. In those situations I will see the unit light up before I hear the car approaching. I will typically look back to visually see what is approaching me and move over to the far side of the road. I find it helpful in those situations and if you are often riding on those types of roads (I'm jealous!) I would recommend them.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I survived being hit by a pick-up truck in 2014, while touring, and haven't been on the road again. Maybe I'm just more aware of the number of accidents now but there sure seem to be a lot.Cars and bikes just don't work together so unless the road is closed to traffic, or it is off-road, I don't bike anymore.

Ever notice it usually a pick up truck causing these accidents?
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok Thanks.

ddalzell
Jun 8, 16 8:57
Views: 414
I'm nearly positive it wasn't as the AE ride was cancelled last night. This was another group though that rides on Tuesday nights. I don't want to speculate but I'm fairly certain from the Facebook feedback of what group it was.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dalzellcoaching.com
@dalzellcoaching
https://www.facebook.com/#!/dalzellcoaching
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
joelt wrote:

Joel

It has been stories like this that have had me do 100% of my bike training indoors on my trainer.

I'd argue the opposite of this. We actually need more cyclists on the road so that we are visibly seen. While this story is most certainly tragic, it is rare. I would hope that the cycling community as a whole, not just in Kalamazoo would take advantage of the national media coverage and demand stronger laws & prosecution for drivers such as this one and those that do harass cyclists.

While I understand your fear, I clinch up too when I get buzzed & I pray that myself nor my loved ones are ever hit, hiding in a basement on a trainer is waving the white flag IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excuse me if i'm all over the place on this. This brings out a lot of emotions. We lost our 15 year old son to a bike- car accident. This is the sport I love and have been riding since I guess about 5 years old, I'm 64. I love the freedom it gives me. I don't care what the conditions are, i ride all winter. This is my time, a chance to think. I would not give this up for anything. This story really made me sad because I'm sure those 9 people felt the same way. Ironically I got an email from my local bike club asking for support to pass the 3 foot rule in NY.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kalamazoo Cycling Fatalities, Tuesday, June 7. [ddalzell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  More info in....

"Multiple sources tell Newschannel 3 that a group of cyclists that calls themselves "The Chain Gang" is the group involved in Tuesday night's crash.
That group left at 6:00 p.m. Tuesday from the Kalamazoo County Health Services parking lot and the route would have taken them in the area of the crash".

They also released two victim names in this article. http://wwmt.com/...it-by-pick-up-driver
Quote Reply

Prev Next