Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am late to today's party....I figured if I got on the internet when things start I will be online for 12+ hours....so better to go get a workout in and let people ride to Hawi....and then I see Rinny is out. Is this related to the crash this week? OK, go Tim!
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I wonder if her sore back is due to that accident she had the other day.
i suspect so, a pity not to have her in the race
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so, is Rinny out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I use mechanical still.

Bryancd wrote:
Heather Wurtele just posted this:

Alternating between sobbing inconsolably and swearing a lot...
I woke up today feeling so positive and so ready. I've worked very hard to learn to perform well in the humid heat of Hawaii, and I finally came to truly believe that I could perform well at the world champs here in Kona.
I swam the best I ever have! Out of the water 4 min down from the lead!! (I've had that big of a gap in a 70.3 before) and I just felt on fire even running through transition. Was on the bike stoked to do my thing... then.. coming down Kuakini...uhhh...my rear derailer just wouldn't shift. My Di2 battery was fully charged, my front shifter worked... but I was stuck in the 11. I started running my bike up the steep hill on Palani.. tech support came to help but all they could do was lock the derailer in an easier gear. I stopped further on the highway after getting too frustrated with spinning out, tried taking connections apart, putting them back.. nothing. Biggest race of the year and my day was done.
I'm trying not to torture myself with what-ifs and trying desperately to feel like I WILL have my day here, but mostly I just feel devastated. Thanks for all the well wishes beforehand. Super bummed to disappoint.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
so, is Rinny out?

Not sure. Maybe someone can post something about it.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

I woke up today feeling so positive and so ready. I've worked very hard to learn to perform well in the humid heat of Hawaii, and I finally came to truly believe that I could perform well at the world champs here in Kona.
I swam the best I ever have! Out of the water 4 min down from the lead!! (I've had that big of a gap in a 70.3 before) and I just felt on fire even running through transition. Was on the bike stoked to do my thing... then.. coming down Kuakini...uhhh...my rear derailer just wouldn't shift. My Di2 battery was fully charged, my front shifter worked... but I was stuck in the 11. I started running my bike up the steep hill on Palani.. tech support came to help but all they could do was lock the derailer in an easier gear. I stopped further on the highway after getting too frustrated with spinning out, tried taking connections apart, putting them back.. nothing. Biggest race of the year and my day was done.
I'm trying not to torture myself with what-ifs and trying desperately to feel like I WILL have my day here, but mostly I just feel devastated. Thanks for all the well wishes beforehand. Super bummed to disappoint.

Will she run a mechanical groupset next year??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Exactly why I still ride old-school mechanical. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is the nightmare scenario that freaks me out with electric shifting. As long as your cables are attached, you can generally still shift, even if stuff gets out of whack.

Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
so, is Rinny out?

Per IM blog: Rinny reportedly had a sore back and has pulled out of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrahamK wrote:

Bryancd wrote:

Me too.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [sailnfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sailnfast wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
so, is Rinny out?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is TO running a double BTA water bottle set-up like that BMX age grouper had earlier this year?
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conspiracy theory on the feed: They disable it periodically so you have to refresh and watch yet another GoPro ad to restart the feed. Too much?

And sorry for Rinny. That's a shame. You never want to see a pro get a mechanical, ever, but it does happen. It'll be interesting to see what the 3-time champion does - mechanical or Di2 - next year, given she's got a vested interest in selling Shimano's latest (and presumably highest margin) gear. She's got a bit of a bullypulpit if she wants it...

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
sailnfast wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:
so, is Rinny out?

LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever happened to electronic shifting?

"You'll be helpless by the side of the road stuck in a 54x11. "

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
GrahamK wrote:

Bryancd wrote:

Me too.

x3

Sucks for Heather....but in fairness, people have snapped cables on mechanical too!

OK, Messick, you need new IT/production guys. The video stream should have a continuous leaderboard data ribbon on the bottom that shows gaps, power, positions etc. Much like a Nasdaq/NYSE stock ticker with real time stock values as you watch business TV shows worldwide
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel bad for Marino, 5 minutes off the front pack. I was really hoping he might have a good year this year and go out on a high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
Conspiracy theory on the feed: They disable it periodically so you have to refresh and watch yet another GoPro ad to restart the feed. Too much?

And sorry for Rinny. That's a shame. You never want to see a pro get a mechanical, ever, but it does happen. It'll be interesting to see what the 3-time champion does - mechanical or Di2 - next year, given she's got a vested interest in selling Shimano's latest (and presumably highest margin) gear. She's got a bit of a bullypulpit if she wants it...

Rinny didn't get a mechanical. Wurtele did.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:

Working fine for me on a generally crappy connection. Only had to reload twice in 4 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:

I think you're confusing two separate people and incidents.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
This race is looking more like an ITU race than an Ironman. Hope there are some moves on the back half of the bike.

I agree. The lack of wind on the bike course has made the race conditions quite conventional. The lead pack is currently 12 strong.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heather Wurtele was the DI2 I believe, Rinny is something else.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Rick in the D wrote:

Rinny didn't get a mechanical. Wurtele did.

Whoops. Sucks for Heather. Also for Rinny. Mistyped. Thx.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Andrew90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew90 wrote:
I feel bad for Marino, 5 minutes off the front pack. I was really hoping he might have a good year this year and go out on a high.

What's going on with Marino? Just an off day?
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Cup wrote:
This race is looking more like an ITU race than an Ironman. Hope there are some moves on the back half of the bike.

I agree. The lack of wind on the bike course has made the race conditions quite conventional. The lead pack is currently 12 strong.

I would love to see a move and see someone going after TO.
Quote Reply

Prev Next