Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some nice Sumatran coffee, haven't Irished it up. Looking at some 10-barrel brews for later though.

Great coverage coming through, hope it holds!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

how about Charbot pullng Sanders??

He probably could have made more $ to wait for Carfrae. ;-) Not sure if that would be legal.

Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wha are the chances of sour grapes from other pros if Sanders ends up on the podium due having a dedicated domestique on the swim? Any opinions on this? Obviously it's legal to draft on the swim, but have a prearranged plan for this seems a bit odd to me. Not sure quite to think, frankly.

Spot

Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
monty wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble with constant buffering?
No, not once. And my web connection is slow i.e. never >5mb.

Same here. Streaming it to my TV and haven't had a drop yet. The quality of the satellite video comes and goes but the actual broadcast is in HD too.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we could make a new thread where people can discuss, bitch about and obsess over their live streaming. I hate that these threads are 90% bitching about everyones individual feed. Everyone gets it...it's not perfect, it varies from computer to computer and all the conversation doesn't get anyone anywhere and has nothing to do about the race. Shut up about your stupid feed!
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think "why the hell not?" Potts and McNeice are working together to break of the front and I would think that it was prearranged to go off the front together. If they didnt have each other I doubt they would put in the effort by themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought of that. Waiting for a girl then pulling her to the finish.
I do miss the mass start!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Wha are the chances of sour grapes from other pros if Sanders ends up on the podium due having a dedicated domestique on the swim? Any opinions on this? Obviously it's legal to draft on the swim, but have a prearranged plan for this seems a bit odd to me. Not sure quite to think, frankly.

Spot
Just an evolution in the sport IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. someone please start the offical kona streming quality thread
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpencerDC wrote:
Maybe we could make a new thread where people can discuss, bitch about and obsess over their live streaming. I hate that these threads are 90% bitching about everyones individual feed. Everyone gets it...it's not perfect, it varies from computer to computer and all the conversation doesn't get anyone anywhere and has nothing to do about the race. Shut up about your stupid feed!

So you aren't having any issues?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wha are the chances of sour grapes from other pros if Sanders ends up on the podium due having a dedicated domestique on the swim? Any opinions on this?//

This is not the first time this has happened, but have to say probably the 1st time since the points system.Means someone has to give up their spot for the race after having made the arduous qualifying process. If you were injured or just off, not a bad ploy to make a few bucks. I think it is fine, and since Lionel will still be so far back after the swim regardless, pros will have more than just a couple minutes in the swim to ponder over if he hits the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Wha are the chances of sour grapes from other pros if Sanders ends up on the podium due having a dedicated domestique on the swim? Any opinions on this?//

This is not the first time this has happened, but have to say probably the 1st time since the points system.Means someone has to give up their spot for the race after having made the arduous qualifying process. If you were injured or just off, not a bad ploy to make a few bucks. I think it is fine, and since Lionel will still be so far back after the swim regardless, pros will have more than just a couple minutes in the swim to ponder over if he hits the podium.

Chrabot absolutely gutted himself at Chattanooga. He's probably completely fried.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:

Chrabot absolutely gutted himself at Chattanooga. He's probably completely fried.

Absolutely. The announcers mentioned this as the likely reason it's happening, but we're still a bit surprised.

I agree with the sense of it being not an issue - especially given that it is happening in the lead pack of 3, albeit likely unplanned.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [thepachman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mic slip!

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyingirish wrote:
Mic slip!

What the hell...

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Why a Couple Pieces of Fruit Sent My Triglycerides Through the Roof, and How it Relates to Chronic Health
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...f-fruit-sent-my.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha yeah I caught that also

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Yeshrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they didnt have each other I doubt they would put in the effort by themselves.

Fast swimmers tend to be at the front because they are fast, whether or not they plan it. When isn't Potts at the front?

Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdmantris wrote:
flyingirish wrote:
Mic slip!

What the hell...

me too- that was fun.

Nice to wade in here again this year-lets hope for a good race.
Looking forward to starting the yearly beer session!
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [thepachman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the sense of it being not an issue - especially given that it is happening in the lead pack of 3, albeit likely unplanned.//

Well not exactly. The lead mens group is just that, a group of guys the same speed. None of them are getting paid to swim for the other, or sacrificing their race for another individual. Other than that, ya, exactly the same.. (-;
Last edited by: monty: Oct 10, 15 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we've talked about this before, and i have always adhered to the slowman doctrine: "assistance" is not within the rules if it is rendered by an athlete who has abandoned or subordinated his own race ambition, and whose ambition is now to aid another. to me, that would be the case if matt is actually, obviously, pacing lionel. it should be clear based on past performance what matt is capable of.

the difference between potts and frodeno on one hand, and chrabot and sanders on the other, is that neither potts nor frodeno have abandoned their own race ambition.

is it always easy to tell when somebody has abandoned his race ambition? no. but it's not always easy to tell when somebody's doping either. because we can't know every instance of a failure to race by the rules that doesn't mean we should shy from enforcing a rule when it is broken.

the above is my view when it's ironman racing, which is a very clearly individual sport. in ITU racing, if you want to say that it's okay for that style of racing to incorporate team elements, fine. that's up to the ITU. but in ironman racing, this is a different format, a different history, a different culture. it has always been a fiercely individual sport. every man or woman on his own. the slowman doctrine holds say for ironman racing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did I miss?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so far, they havent been advertising too much shite.
Last year was awful with the ironman toasters and booster seats...
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming back from commercial break Greg didn't realize his mic was hot and was caught saying "what the hell was she thinking"

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Re: THE Kona Race Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point, thanks.

To give Matt a bit of credit, just because his race won't go the same as Lionel doesn't guarantee that he is abandoning his hopes, but does make it more likely

That said, if there is any semblance of "pay for pace" or quid pro quo between the two Canadian racers, shame on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frodo looks comfy sitting on those feet. He's not swimming for the prime.
Quote Reply

Prev Next