Prev Next
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Sam didn't break any rules...
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [Mulen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mulen wrote:
Anybody spotted what Aerobars and saddle he has mounted? (at least on the photos from IG, for now)

The cockpit in the OP looks like all canyon parts, with the pro-only riser and optional long cups
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
But Sam didn't break any rules...

In my eyes he did break a rule. Not with the motos but the fairing rule and taping his poles like he did.
"(b) Fairings are prohibited. Any device added or blended into the structure that may decrease, or that has the effect of decreasing, resistance to air penetration, or that may artificially accelerate propulsion, such as a protective screen, fuselage form fairing or the like, is prohibited; (DSQ)"

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's pushing boundaries and if he wasn't penalised then he hasn't broken any rules. Maybe IM need to tighten up next year and enforce them? There are no rules in IM but is it fair Iden was one of a very few athletes with 50mm stack shoes? Should there be a rule? Boundaries are there to be pushed, rules are put in place and the officials need to enforce them if deemed to be crossed. Any competitive athlete would be stupid not to push them to the maximum for any advantage, be aware of the consequences and accept the outcome if considered to have broken them. End of story in my book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
if he wasn't penalised then he hasn't broken any rules.

Well thats is wrong. Not being prosecuted does not mean innocent.
He wasn't penalised because the rule was not enforced. But to the rule book a rule was broken.

Some extreme examples of the same logic
If a doper is not tested or caught. He is still cheating.
If someone commits a murder but is not found. That person is still a murderer.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
if he wasn't penalised then he hasn't broken any rules.

Well thats is wrong. Not being prosecuted does not mean innocent.
He wasn't penalised because the rule was not enforced. But to the rule book a rule was broken.

Some extreme examples of the same logic
If a doper is not tested or caught. He is still cheating.
If someone commits a murder but is not found. That person is still a murderer.
Only difference is everything was visible to the judge and they gave judgement by not prosecuting. Very different logic. Are you now the judge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didnā€™t break any rules or wasnā€™t penalized? Cus in our sport you can clearly get away with breaking rules and not get caught in many instances (they got what 5 or so judges for what 100 proā€™s + 2k AG athletes, youā€™ll spend a good amount of time ā€œaloneā€ in our sport). You even suggesting to find the ā€œfastestā€ spot is a little head scratching considering they tell you where to ride. You donā€™t get to ride wherever you want to find the fastest ā€œslip streamā€ or anything.

If thatā€™s your logic, sounds good.

SL was not in front of the refs the entire time. No one in our sport is and weā€™ve seen clearly many times ā€œdraftingā€ and getting away with it. By this logic they didnā€™t break any rules since they didnā€™t get penalized.

(And this is not a SL attackā€¦.Iā€™m going after this idea that front pack athlete can ride anywhere they want of their choosing or that itā€™s so difficult to ride to the right. Yes I get people will slide over on occasion but when your closer to the yellow line then ā€œrightā€ several times thatā€™s a riding position error. Like I can understand floating off the right by a few feet, but 5-6 feet and then you tell me they are trying to find the ā€œfastestā€ spot, thatā€™s an errorā€¦.plain and simple)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 23 5:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well he was very visible to all the judges the whole race and wasnā€™t penalised so I figure he mustnā€™t have broken any rules. Must have just pushed the boundaries to the extreme.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I made an edit Iā€™m not having this discussion as some ā€œattackā€ on SL. You know for a fact he was in front of the judges the entire time? Based on what?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m saying whenever he was in front of the judges he was deemed as riding within the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right and yet they have him on the broadcast as riding in positions that on several occasions caused the ex proā€™s who know the rules to question his position.

So if your logic is he didnā€™t get a penalty so nothing to see here cool. I just donā€™t think thatā€™s a very good sound assessment within our sport where we have so few officials and way more athletes and real estate to cover + potential evidence of an infraction. And of course we see the leader on the road much more guy ranked 38th 1hour back. So thatā€™s just how itā€™ll go, that eyes are more on the leaders and thus their actions are more ā€œjudgeableā€ than the bop pros.

I mean our sport is basically built on the honor system with the rules but yet no one ever tells an official they ā€œbroke a ruleā€. You only broke a rule if you get penalized for it essentially.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 23 5:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet the rule they are questioning is in regards to staying right to not impede riders passing him. How many riders did SL block?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one, and that's not the rule infraction that is being debated. He imo violated and/or was in potential for a position foul (riding right rule). So I'm debating that apparently the leader of the race gets to ride anywhere he wants, while everyone else has to ride right? That seems to be what you are suggesting (and the other user).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 23 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By this (riding right rule) you speak of you mean a ā€˜blockingā€™ infraction?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Yet the rule they are questioning is in regards to staying right to not impede riders passing him. How many riders did SL block?
This is nothing to do with blocking: the rules require a rider to keep right (or left in countries where vehicles drive on the left) except when passing or for safety.
5.04 (h) Athletes must ride single file on the far-right side (or left side depending on local
law) of the bike course road except when passing another athlete (or for reasons of
safety). (5:00 Minute Time Penalty or 30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))
[exceptions listed at (i) on p20 of 30]
https://ironman.kleecks-cdn.com/cdn2/attachments/document/5326-2664364/2022_IRONMAN_Competition_Rules_-_English_Version_-_30march2022_-_FINAL_.pdf#_ga=2.218352282.2045724340.1648425032-260277762.1569464052
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the rule was there so you donā€™t block (impede passing riders)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take out all the positions, just for a thought experiment. If the front person was allowed to ride anywhere they wanted, how would a person pass them or how would they know when a person is passing them (to get out of the way). I've seen plenty of times people "sneak" up on you, etc. So just taking everything out of it, how would you propose they address those types of things?

The simpliest position for racers passing and race officials to pass etc is for athletes to always "ride right".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Shambolic wrote:
This is nothing to do with blocking: the rules require a rider to keep right (or left in countries where vehicles drive on the left) except when passing or for safety.
5.04 (h) Athletes must ride single file on the far-right side (or left side depending on local
law) of the bike course road except when passing another athlete (or for reasons of
safety). (5:00 Minute Time Penalty or 30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))
[exceptions listed at (i) on p20 of 30]
https://ironman.kleecks-cdn.com/cdn2/attachments/document/5326-2664364/2022_IRONMAN_Competition_Rules_-_English_Version_-_30march2022_-_FINAL_.pdf#_ga=2.218352282.2045724340.1648425032-260277762.1569464052
Funny how you omitted some of the rule text to suit you narrative. No where does it say you will be penalised for riding not to the right in this case. It states that if you ride side by side you will be penalised for drafting or blocking. I think you check mated yourself there. Thanks for the link ;)

(h) Athletes must ride single file on the far-right side (or left side depending on local law) of the bike course road except when passing another athlete (or for reasons of safety). Side-by-side riding is not permitted and may result in a drafting or blocking violation; (5:00 Minute Time Penalty or 30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable))
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been penalized before for riding to the left even though I wasn't blocking or riding next to anyone. There are two clauses to that rule. First, you must ride to the right wherever possible. Second, you can't ride side-by-side. Those are independent statements though.
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That may be your interpretation but I don't read it that way. I learnt the rule blocking in my second IM trying to avoid a drafting bunch that sat up when they heard the motorbike and I wasn't sure if I could go three wide and not wanting to brake. Was a hard lesson but to me the rule reads when interacting with other riders to me. Blocked someone or drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

How do you know you aren't impeding other riders when you are riding left?

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ll insert your own commentary.

That may be your interpretation but I don't read it that way.

But again to each their own.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Sam Laidlow joins Canyon [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

How do you know you aren't impeding other riders when you are riding left?
Did he block anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Iā€™ll insert your own commentary.

That may be your interpretation but I don't read it that way.

But again to each their own.

With a basic comprehension of english how I read it and obviously the officials do the same maybe?
Edit: Maybe why you had to edit the rules to suit your narrative?
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jan 20, 23 16:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I had to edit the rules? WTF are you talking about?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next