Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TerramarMan] [ In reply to ]

I'll make this thread about gun control, global warming, race relations, domestic violence, the war on drugs, etc etc if you give me 10 minutes

The USAT has all the effect and influence in triathlon as the United Nations has on world affairs, which is to say: no influence at all

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [needmoreair] [ In reply to ]

From Letsrun:

http://img20.brightroom.com/.../119156-020-016f.jpg

Is this Blair from the race?

Knee all busted up and bleeding?

If so, god, what an awful race. Some sort of crash/incident, then an oblivious women backing into him, then getting DQed, then having a blogger and the RD bashing him all over the internet.

That's a bad day.

needmoreair wrote:
From Letsrun:

If so, god, what an awful race. Some sort of crash/incident, then an oblivious women backing into him, then getting DQed, then having a blogger and the RD bashing him all over the internet.

That's a bad day.

It is him. Heard he rode in the wrong lane just like he runs in the wrong lane and a car sideswiped him.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [tucktri] [ In reply to ]

tucktri wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
From Letsrun:

That's a bad day.

It is him. Heard he rode in the wrong lane just like he runs in the wrong lane and a car sideswiped him.

In the face? Did it leave a bruise? Did he blog about it?

More twists to the story please!

needmoreair wrote:
tucktri wrote:
needmoreair wrote:
From Letsrun:

That's a bad day.

In the face? Did it leave a bruise? Did he blog about it?

More twists to the story please!

Why are you asking me, aren't you him?

tucktri wrote:

Why are you asking me, aren't you him?

Oye, this one...

needmoreair wrote:
From Letsrun:

if that were my TT position I'd feel like punching someone in the face too.

'roid rage

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [TerramarMan] [ In reply to ]

"B" stands for Brian or bad although I don't feel bad just a little evil now :0)

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [bullshark] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
[..]
As both a racer and organizer for over 25 yrs I can honestly say that I was appalled by this.

Our race is a family oriented event that focuses on the athletes experience as well as safety.
There is no room for behavior such as this and this will never be tolerated.

Richard Izzo Race Director Toughman Half, Toughkids Triathlon Series.

Yet it's ok to bring a bunch of kids (many more than one can handle/control)) with you into the finisher's chute? That's where people use up the last of their steam, dash for the line to beat a competitor or a friend or simply the clock.

Is is safe for kids that age to be there?

Not even Lance would have brought his kids with him through the finisher's chute.

That's a bad day.

actually it was a TOUGH day. It's TOUGHMAN. it's not suppose to be easy. :)

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [gleeclub] [ In reply to ]

gleeclub wrote:
That's a bad day.

actually it was a TOUGH day. It's TOUGHMAN. it's not suppose to be easy. :)

Oblivious idiots ruin your day, and/or get you DQ'd?
TOUGH, man.

float , hammer , and jog

Isn't ESPN owned by Disney? My husband asked - "Is he fired yet?"

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]

johnnybefit wrote:
Exactly, if he is DQd for that contact, then half of any tri field should be DQd for intentional contact during the swim. Ridiculous..

Funny too how all of the women posting about how offensive it is that she was "punched" have now gone silent?

For me this was never a gender issue. It was a matter of sportsmanship. In my previous posts I wrote that there is a difference between punching and putting up your arms to block someone. I'm still not sure what happened here. The video is too grainy. But for sure she isn't totally innocent.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]

CaptainCanada wrote:
Ok this should put an end to the debate: More video has surfaced...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfr64zoBTAQ[/quote[/url]]

Is it bad that I listened to the whole song? ...maybe even danced a little?

tucktri wrote:

wow, cars on the course, people cycling/running in the wrong lanes, looks like this RD needed a lot more help managing the course.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]

oceanlife wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:
travis_lt wrote:
His credibility is in question because she was never hit in the face and there was no bruise.

He said he saw a bruise on her face. Assuming he isn't outright lieing (which there's no reason to assume that he is) - it could be any number of reasons why he would associate a bruise on her face with that video.

Also, I can tell you from experience, videos oftentimes don't paint the whole picture either. You see it all the time in mixed martial arts and boxing fights - where a guy gets 'punched' and goes down but when you slow the video down it appears that no contact was ever made. That doesn't mean there wasn't. I've had guys in my old camp be accused of taking a dive because slowed down video showed no contact, but their faces were swelled up after the incident.

It's almost as if people skip the middle of a thread and jump on the comments at the end.

This.

Say what you will about the woman being self-absorbed, oblivious and inconsiderate to the other racers around her. She was. And I agree she should have been assessed penalties for her own actions as well. (Impeding the progress of another racer, even unintentional, is a violation. Outside assistance, another violation.)

Say what you will about the RD exaggerating what happened. He did.

However, NONE of that excuses the behavior of this guy. YOU NEVER forcefully shove another individual, male or female, in a race out of anger or frustration. Before the video was released, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just did not have time to react. Heck, clueless people bump into others merely walking around the mall. But after the video was released, it CLEARLY shows that despite her inattentiveness, he had the LAST CLEAR CHANCE to avoid making contact with her. First of all, he could have yelled out something beforehand such as "HEADS UP!" "RUNNER UP!" "OUT OF THE WAY!" "MOVE!" He did neither, but it does sound like he said something after the shove. He could have gone further to the left, and no, he would not have hit the older guy coming in the opposite direction. Or he could have cut right. Or, he simply could have just slowed down and/or stopped, PR be damned. You just don't shove another person. Period.

Look, if you're driving down the road at 55 mph, and up ahead you see a pedestrian, cyclist or another driver obviously eating shit, and you have the opportunity to avoid an accident but don't take it, guess what? Last Clear Chance is a viable defense they have for their own carelessness because you had the last clear chance to avoid the accident, but didn't take it.

This guy could have EASILY avoided making contact with this woman, but he chose not to and it's mind boggling that people are still defending him.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]

This happened to me.

In my case, I was the one running forwards, getting lapped by the winners as I began the run. I was in the correct lane. The other guy was in the correct lane heading for the finish line. A young boy rooting on the other guy was in my lane, running backwards.

This was my first triathlon. I was extremely tired mentally and physically, my legs were still feeling like bricks from the ride, and my vision was locked into an invisible spot in the middle distance. The kid sort of just appeared. I remember having a split second to make a decision, and, after checking with my body, the decision was "well, here we go". I plowed into the kid with the considerable force of two humans heading in opposite directions.

Of course racers should be alert, but I think that we can all agree that one's alertness is compromised after several hours on the course. Things coming towards you can really appear in a hurry.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]

3Aims wrote:
PigBodine wrote:
RZ wrote:
tomkat4573 wrote:
I just watched the video, sooooo...where is the gorilla?

I'm thinking of putting together the perfect d-bag race. So far I have:

1. IM Florida!
2. Wear fins during the swim, perform only one lap.
3. Peloton! Knock some woman down by clipping her bars while passing 2 inches apart... don't stop.
4. Gorilla pacer, shit myself, do only one lap, punch random attention whore chick in the back of the head, then go down the chute with the Brady Bunch©
5. Collect medal
6. T3!

Did I miss anything?

.5 dose up on prescription testosterone
1. IM Florida!
2. Wear fins during the swim, perform only one lap.
3. Peloton! Knock some woman down by clipping her bars while passing 2 inches apart... don't stop.
4. Gorilla pacer, shit myself, do only one lap, punch random attention whore chick in the back of the head, then go down the chute with the Brady Bunch©
5. Collect medal
6. T3!
7. Complain about other's narcissistic behavior

Can someone give me cliffs on this thread?

All I know is my twice worn ST tech shirt is now totally outdated. First the gorilla and now this guy! Can't I just enjoy my damn shirt!

I need someone to help update the official ST logo so I can get a new one printed from Cafe Express. Maybe put the woman hater dude on the bottom right punching the pretty girl. Gorilla by finman? Zazzle would not print this on a shirt BTW. Only Cafe Express. LOL.

You need to add this to your logo: http://www.newyorkfamily.com/.../2013/08/berna-1.jpg

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sparks] [ In reply to ]

Y'all must have a different tolerance than me. When I ran the London Marathon it annoyed the hell out of me that spectators would step off the curb into the course and then the people behind them would step further out so they could see. Or worse, they step out with a flag and wait until the last second to get out of the way. It was a crowded course to begin with.

I can't count how many I "swiped" with my sweaty forearm or told to "get out of the fucking street".

And if someone brought all of those ducklings into the course as I was running it ... there would have been a profanity laced demand to get out of the way. It may be the finishing chute but it is still the race course ... and she was bringing them onto it with no regard for other competitors or for their safety.

This woman was wrong on so many levels. This is a race. Not a picnic. Both of her actions were dangerous. Get a freakin clue! Oh, and get the fuck out of the way.

And to be DQ'd over her getting in the way ... hmmmm. The RD would definitely have ringing in his ears.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]

Toby Tri wrote:

This.

Say what you will about the woman being self-absorbed, oblivious and inconsiderate to the other racers around her. She was. And I agree she should have been assessed penalties for her own actions as well. (Impeding the progress of another racer, even unintentional, is a violation. Outside assistance, another violation.)

Say what you will about the RD exaggerating what happened. He did.

However, NONE of that excuses the behavior of this guy. YOU NEVER forcefully shove another individual, male or female, in a race out of anger or frustration. Before the video was released, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he just did not have time to react. Heck, clueless people bump into others merely walking around the mall. But after the video was released, it CLEARLY shows that despite her inattentiveness, he had the LAST CLEAR CHANCE to avoid making contact with her.

This guy could have EASILY avoided making contact with this woman, but he chose not to and it's mind boggling that people are still defending him.[/quote]

Agree.

Out running a few times I've came across a snake and not notice it until half a step away. Believe me, you can course correct VERY quickly if you want. Doesn't seem like he wanted to. Disturbing. Even more disturbing is to see the comments justifying his actions. Unbelievable.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Will132] [ In reply to ]

I find it equally disturbing an person in charge is going to exaggerate to the degree to somehow justify the DQ. And with all the facts to only penalize the guy, I think that's just as bad. A lot more than 1 dbag person in my opinion in this situation. So I think in the same light just because the runner was an asshat about he situation doensnt allow others to manipulate the facts to make him look even worse.

How any of the behavior in this situation is accepted, seems piss poor. Funny thing is, the athlete took his medicine, but the woman and RD continued the story? Why?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 25, 13 7:58

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]

BDoughtie wrote:
I find it equally disturbing an person in charge is going to exaggerate to the degree to somehow justify the DQ. And with all the facts to only penalize the guy, I think that's just as bad. A lot more than 1 dbag person in my opinion in this situation.

Makes you wonder if he truly showed the video to USAT officials.

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [oceanlife] [ In reply to ]

I guess what I don't understand is why they continued the story after acknowledging the guy turned his stuff back in and acknowledged the DQ. RD even acknowledges he didn't complain.

So why then did he especially add to the story? Why make it a point to exclaim how you care about the rules and safety of others yet when presented with the facts only penalize 1 party? It doesn't really make sense to me, and in poor form. The entire situation was handled poorly, but what I don't understand is that part seems to be overlooked.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 25, 13 8:06

Re: Punching a woman during a race? [Sparks] [ In reply to ]

Ask and you shall receive..............

Last edited by: SinkCrashBonk: Sep 25, 13 8:09

Prev Next