Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. I can provide my LA county dept of health QR code that has the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I would say sure if either states or the Feds had simple vaccination verification systems where prospective athletes/staff could give consent by entering the contact information of the RD, then the state/Fed would automatically send vaccination status. I know the underlying database exists in my state, because I watched my entry being updated as I got my 2nd shot.

But as far as I know there's no public service. It's for healthcare providers only.

Between that and the disparities in vaccination access, I'd say, races should just strongly recommend it. But not pretend to enforce it.

i'm trying to drill down on this. i got vaccinated at a CVS pharmacy, and CVS owns a thing called minuteclinic. when you get something performed at a minuteclinic, it goes on your online portal. the one they use is mychart. now, i have other providers that also use mychart, and the provider is the subdomain. you can link these, so that where i got my prostate biopsy can look at my mychart account and see that minuteclinic gave me a covid test, and the result.

so i called minuteclinic to see why my covid vaccine was NOT on my mychart account, and got put on eternal hold. but i'm going to push thru this, because if a vaccine passport is a possible thing, then something other than that card they give you when you get your vaccine is going to need to be required, it seems to me. we already have covid testing that's required. i have had 2 procedures, a prostate biopsy, and a colonoscopy, and in each case proof of a negative covid test was required. however, the nature of that proof is sort of a moving target. it's not easy to actually provide conclusive proof of a negative test.

so, we'd need to do better. as much as a registry is a problem for civil libertarians, we're on all kinds of registries. you have a drivers license, a credit report, a federal tax ID number. and i guess a vaccine registry for kids. this is just the push/pull of civilization. you give up rights to get safety. you accept risk to expand rights. the question is where the line is drawn. how far? hence this thread. but the point is if you go down this road there needs to be a guarantor of authenticity (that you actually got the vaccine you claim you got).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was assuming your post didn’t mean “tomorrow”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not necessarily pro or anti vax. The vaccine pretty much available now in the US to almost anyone who wants it for free. So why would it matter that others are vaccinated? Everyone can make their own choice.

I don't understand this logic. I personally may get the JJ vax when available but do not have the right to tell others what to do as I can protect myself if I want.

Good luck this year!
Last edited by: GoJohnnyGo: Apr 6, 21 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By choosing not to protect yourself, you also choose to put others at risk. Encouraging the spread of new variants, endangering those who can’t get vaccinated, etc. No different than choosing not to wear a mask.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
By choosing not to protect yourself, you also choose to put others at risk. Encouraging the spread of new variants, endangering those who can’t get vaccinated, etc. No different than choosing not to wear a mask.

It's astounding how many people seemingly can't grasp this concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:

Yup and not only that, allowing variants to emerge that can evade current vaccines. And since he (?) is not anti vax, maybe this little nugget will convince him to get it

And who walks around saying “you can’t tell me what to do!” LOL. Every single day you are doing what society, the government and private business tells you what to do
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 6, 21 19:02
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I would say sure if either states or the Feds had simple vaccination verification systems where prospective athletes/staff could give consent by entering the contact information of the RD, then the state/Fed would automatically send vaccination status. I know the underlying database exists in my state, because I watched my entry being updated as I got my 2nd shot.

But as far as I know there's no public service. It's for healthcare providers only.

Between that and the disparities in vaccination access, I'd say, races should just strongly recommend it. But not pretend to enforce it.

there are two registries that seems promising to me. CommonPass and Travel Pass. what i'm fighting now is how to get the entity that administers the vaccine to get it up and onto that portal. or, to give me something that CommonPass would accept as proof, so that i can get it up there.

i haven't heard any actual reasoned rebuttals to this. if i want to travel on an airplane, i now have to possess a "real ID." if i had a constitutional right to travel on an airplane we could discuss what the reasonable parameters are for this. but i don't, nor do i have a right to eat at a particular restaurant, nor to race in an ironman. that proprietor could respect your right to (say) wear board shorts and flip flops, just not in his restaurant.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mentioned proof of vaccination to participate a couple of months ago on an Ironman Facebook post and you would have thought the world was coming to an end. I'm glad you have brought it up. If you are presenting a plan to hold a race to city officials, seems that this would help the race get approved. At least these races happening in the next two or three months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are not “getting past” the pandemic. It’s like the flu now, it’s not going anywhere, we all will get it eventually, and it is a mild inconvenience at worst and spare me the histrionics about death rates. The comorbidity data is a mess and I suspect often points to lifestyle choices.

How we got to the point where some are all-in on the premise that if we trade enough of our privacy, personal choice, and closely held beliefs we can achieve an illusion of security until we realize we traded it for tyranny I can’t believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if i had a constitutional right to travel on an airplane we could discuss what the reasonable parameters are for this. but i don't, nor do i have a right to eat at a particular restaurant, nor to race in an ironman. that proprietor could respect your right to (say) wear board shorts and flip flops, just not in his restaurant.

This is the most important part and the reason why I'd lean towards answering yes, proof of vaccination for racing is okay. If you asked for proof of vaccination in order to let me vote, there'd be issues. No one NEEDS to race a triathlon. Not me, or Jan Frodeno. Even if it's our livelihood, it's not life or death.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Apr 6, 21 19:10
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sooner all those people who want to get vaccinated do so, the better, so that we can hopefully put this pandemic behind us.

I definitely won’t be getting any vaccine, and I definitely don’t follow whatever society or government wants to shove down my throat. Freedom, particularly individual freedom is priceless, and far too many people don’t understand this.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
we all will get it eventually, and it is a mild inconvenience at worst and spare me the histrionics about death rates. The comorbidity data is a mess and I suspect often points to lifestyle choices.

It never ceases to amaze me at how willing people are to publicly admit their stupidity on this forum

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not sure what your experience was traveling in the late 60's and early 70's when you had to show proof of vaccination for all kinds of things like small pox etc etc to enter a new country. In Canada we used to have this yellow book with all shots we got and when and would show it while traveling. I am sure I actually have mine kicking around somewhere, just not sure where. I am pretty sure I still had that thing when in the military in the early 80's. In any case, you could not move internationally without that.

I'd have no issue having show something like that for all kinds of things from travel, to restaurants, for entering workplaces, doing races etc etc. I am not opening my office to employees who are not vaccinated when we are out of lockdown. They are welcome to work from home, just don't come to the office. Employees already know that.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I am not sure what your experience was traveling in the late 60's and early 70's when you had to show proof of vaccination for all kinds of things like small pox etc etc to enter a new country. In Canada we used to have this yellow book with all shots we got and when and would show it while traveling. I am sure I actually have mine kicking around somewhere, just not sure where. I am pretty sure I still had that thing when in the military in the early 80's. In any case, you could not move internationally without that.

The yellow book still exists. I have one and often have to show it when travelling internationally. I will have to remember to take it with me when I get vaccinated hopefully next week.
Last edited by: Ironnerd: Apr 6, 21 20:03
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Calchemma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fine, Don’t get vaxxed. Such a patriot

Just don’t bitch if you can’t get on a plane or go to a concert or race a tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:

i'm trying to drill down on this. i got vaccinated at a CVS pharmacy, and CVS owns a thing called minuteclinic. when you get something performed at a minuteclinic, it goes on your online portal. the one they use is mychart. now, i have other providers that also use mychart, and the provider is the subdomain. you can link these, so that where i got my prostate biopsy can look at my mychart account and see that minuteclinic gave me a covid test, and the result.

so i called minuteclinic to see why my covid vaccine was NOT on my mychart account, and got put on eternal hold. but i'm going to push thru this, because if a vaccine passport is a possible thing, then something other than that card they give you when you get your vaccine is going to need to be required, it seems to me. we already have covid testing that's required. i have had 2 procedures, a prostate biopsy, and a colonoscopy, and in each case proof of a negative covid test was required. however, the nature of that proof is sort of a moving target. it's not easy to actually provide conclusive proof of a negative test.

so, we'd need to do better. as much as a registry is a problem for civil libertarians, we're on all kinds of registries. you have a drivers license, a credit report, a federal tax ID number. and i guess a vaccine registry for kids. this is just the push/pull of civilization. you give up rights to get safety. you accept risk to expand rights. the question is where the line is drawn. how far? hence this thread. but the point is if you go down this road there needs to be a guarantor of authenticity (that you actually got the vaccine you claim you got).

I know from several people that they registered and got vaccinated anonymously or under a chosen name for one reason or another ( no gov issued ID necessary)

I personally also wasn’t able to get an vaccine appointment through my Hoity-Toity $$$$ healthcare provider, but had to go through a FEMA site and out of County to get an appointment before my eligibility/exclusivity expired.

There is no chance in hell my healthcare provider knows what FEMA does....neither will the State of CA.

So this would put all burden on me to provide some sort of unique electronic record or reference that I don’t even know where to find. Madness.
BTW: That QR code mentioned is not it.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 6, 21 23:08
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
commendatore wrote:

It's astounding how many people seemingly can't grasp this concept.

It’s astounding how many think being vaccinated at this point in time protects others (unvaccinated).

You don’t protect others from the existing or new variants you come in contact with..
You can still spread and propagate.
The only given as of now:
The selfish you can’t get sick from existing and maybe (tbd) new variants).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As outdoor events where participants are generally well-spaced, tri's are pretty low risk. As such the requirement to show vaccination status seems misplaced.

Sure if you are coming into town for the event, and staying a couple of nights, eating out, etc. then yes, you may be in close proximity to large numbers of other people indoors. So apply the show-proof-of-vax requirement to those SITUATIONS across the board. It has nothing to do with your reason for being there (participating in a triathlon the next day).

Of course, this is just the logical approach. By the time lawyers are done with "potential liability" (which has nothing to do with logic), I am sure that we will be having to show "proof of vax" for triathlons for the next 5 years. sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My non-expert understanding from reading articles from a variety of sources is that evidence is reasonably strong that the vaccine significantly reduces your risk of catching, spreading, and propagating. The more folks who get vaccinated, the lower the odds of variants emerging.

Is that not your understanding?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Last edited by: MI_Mumps: Apr 6, 21 21:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
another vote here for the f-no option.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Covid Vaccine passports is not a 'return to normal', it's another example of manipulation as we see it in California right now, where the mask mandate wouldn't go away even in June (according to the governor).

Yeah, there're places where they want to make children vaccinated before going to schools (that doesn't mean they're right), while in others schools opened since September 2020 and even earlier, and everything's just fine. The same goes for outdoor sports events, even large ones.

Easy "No".

Moreover,

Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
My non-expert understanding from reading articles from a variety of sources is that evidence is reasonably strong that the vaccine significantly reduces your risk of catching, spreading, and propagating. The more folks who get vaccinated, the lower the odds of variants emerging.

Is that not your understanding?

To not derail the thread as we can mince words all night:
No, don’t agree with what was stated.

Vaccinated, you don’t have some force-field around you. You can still carry and transfer the virus from Sick to Unvaccinated.
The virus evolves as long as there is a suitable host and selective pressure.

So keep your distance and follow hygiene procedures (including distancing and that damn mask), even if you’re vaccinated.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 6, 21 22:56
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I'm not necessarily pro or anti vax. The vaccine pretty much available now in the US to almost anyone who wants it for free. So why would it matter that others are vaccinated? Everyone can make their own choice.

I don't understand this logic. I personally may get the JJ vax when available but do not have the right to tell others what to do as I can protect myself if I want.

Good luck this year!

It matters because the vaccine is not 100% effective. Pfizer seems to be ~90% effective IRL, and J&J 72% in trials; this means that an infected person still has a significant chance of giving you Covid (on the plus side, your chance of dying is close to zero [though there have been a few cases], even though you might get severely ill and have the possibility of longer term heart or pulmonary damage). By getting the vast majority of the population vaccinated, the goal is to push the r0 well below one so that the pandemic fizzles out.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:

there are two registries that seems promising to me. CommonPass and Travel Pass. what i'm fighting now is how to get the entity that administers the vaccine to get it up and onto that portal. or, to give me something that CommonPass would accept as proof, so that i can get it up there.

i haven't heard any actual reasoned rebuttals to this. if i want to travel on an airplane, i now have to possess a "real ID." if i had a constitutional right to travel on an airplane we could discuss what the reasonable parameters are for this. but i don't, nor do i have a right to eat at a particular restaurant, nor to race in an ironman. that proprietor could respect your right to (say) wear board shorts and flip flops, just not in his restaurant.

Yeah, many first world countries have central vaccination registers and records, and procedures to retrieve those paper data ( for reasonable fees).
But I guess they are ‘older’ and not as ‘free’.
So here we pay for freedom (out of your own pocket), as you so succinctly demonstrate. ‘Global Access’ anyone?

So some would be again more ‘free’ than others with another ‘fee’ to race.

I don’t think that’s a way to grow the sport and foster diversity.
But hey, got to keep the elitism up.
And there’s always the opportunity for ‘charity’.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 6, 21 23:54
Quote Reply

Prev Next