Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [ttoc6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Phil relegated to 3rd!
How many watts average to take some time back??
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [WHITEJM74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thx, the downside of being stuck at home is that I just ordered one and will try it out this weekend. the upside from being home bound is that I can still run in the neighborhood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttoc6 wrote:
Sam long put up a pretty impressive time today too. Beat out Gaimon and almost got Lionel.

https://www.strava.com/...segments/80217492215

sam didn't even keep up with his riding buddy!

so we now have:
1st - Lionel 382W
2nd - Tyler 322W
3rd - Sam 401W
4th - Phil 356W

which says 2 things:
1. a few guys are bored with no other racing to do
2. power figures don't tell the whole story
so nothing really news there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GEEEZ... looks like Sam did 401w for the 1hr 16 min segment... is that... real? Is he a heavy dude?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You lot stop annoying us or we will send Egan Bernal over and put it to bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When covid19 takes over all the hospitals and ERs here in the next few weeks (snowbirds are still all here!), people will have a hard time to get emergency care for curable ailments like cuts, bruises, broken collarbones or worse. Hope I am wrong.

Getting a bit OT, the Prime Minister and various other Senior Canadian Gov't officials have been STRONGLY urging that those Canadians who can come home, do come home. I've also seen that most of the suppliers of Travel Health Care Coverage for Canadians traveling out side the country, have only extended their coverage for 10 days past when the Prime Minister fist made this Announcement, which was last week. When your coverage runs out . . you will be on your own for any kind of medical treatment needed in the U.S.

I know from personal experience that costs mount quickly in the U.S.. My wife broke her arm a few years ago. A simply trip to an ER, treatment there, x-rays, a sling, and some pain meds came to about $6000US. We had coverage that paid for this all after-the-fact. My wife flew home the next day, and we went to our local hospital, where she had more x-rays taken, seen by an orthopedic surgeon, had a cast put on and more pain meds given = no charge!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
ttoc6 wrote:
Sam long put up a pretty impressive time today too. Beat out Gaimon and almost got Lionel.

https://www.strava.com/...segments/80217492215

sam didn't even keep up with his riding buddy!

so we now have:
1st - Lionel 382W
2nd - Tyler 322W
3rd - Sam 401W
4th - Phil 356W

which says 2 things:
1. a few guys are bored with no other racing to do
2. power figures don't tell the whole story
so nothing really news there!

tyler stites is an exceptional young cyclist. he is probably top 3 AZ climber.

1. mcnulty
2. riccitello
3. stites

maybe.

i also think doing it with a partner is a whole different ballgame than doing it as a solo TT.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Mar 24, 20 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know who Sam Long is. He may be a really great guy...but...

Last week he mentioned/bragged on Strava about taking a KOM from Lionel. He didn't mention that it was a short (29 minute) segment within the 1:16 Mt Lemmon segment. Kind of played it off as though he took a segment that Lionel had actually focussed on.

Now today, he posts to Strava about his attempt at the Mt Lemmon KOM. He doesn't mention that his attempt today was with a riding partner (TTT style).

It all just seems like bad form. I guess I'm ok with him (or anyone) taking a KOM while drafting, but don't brag about taking it from a guy who set it while riding solo.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see McNulty have a go at it. He probably weighs 20 pounds less than Sam or Lionel, and not much of a stretch to envision him doing 400w for that entire climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [Signal8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tyler is about half as tall as Sam. Not much draft behind him. Still, more than none. And if Sam was in front the mental stimulus of shared suffering certainly benefits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You think the strava posts are bad, go check out his Instagram videos about it. Not sure what he’s thinking TBH.
Last edited by: Sean H: Mar 24, 20 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Sam Long trying desperately to elbow his way into some sort of relevancy. Attempts the KOM with a riding partner and he still fails.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Y’all talking like you got skin in the game. One person in the topic does.

Who cares if it was TTT? These guys take KOM’s from entire pelotons in races with leadouts for climbs.

Again, proof wind and the day matters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Signal8 wrote:
I don't know who Sam Long is. He may be a really great guy...but...

Last week he mentioned/bragged on Strava about taking a KOM from Lionel. He didn't mention that it was a short (29 minute) segment within the 1:16 Mt Lemmon segment. Kind of played it off as though he took a segment that Lionel had actually focussed on.

Now today, he posts to Strava about his attempt at the Mt Lemmon KOM. He doesn't mention that his attempt today was with a riding partner (TTT style).

It all just seems like bad form. I guess I'm ok with him (or anyone) taking a KOM while drafting, but don't brag about taking it from a guy who set it while riding solo.

I have followed him.for a few years, hes a good kid out having fun and trying to improve, that's it. Even last week he legit didn't know lionel did the longer segment and quickly changed all the titles of his posts. I am enjoying seeing these guys goof around. Fun stuff, keep at it sam and lionel and Phil.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:

I have followed him.for a few years, hes a good kid out having fun and trying to improve, that's it. Even last week he legit didn't know lionel did the longer segment and quickly changed all the titles of his posts. I am enjoying seeing these guys goof around. Fun stuff, keep at it sam and lionel and Phil.

Yeah when he did the wrong segment it just made him look goofy and was funny because he obviously didn't realize it. This one was different, clearly misleading. Maybe he didn't understand how that would come across. Dunno
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam didn't do it solo.
Last edited by: Tri2win352: Mar 25, 20 7:02
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Skin Quimmons" on instagram said he was going to take a crack at it once he is able to get there.

Should be fun to watch that segment over the coming months.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [teckert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teckert wrote:
"Skin Quimmons" on instagram said he was going to take a crack at it once he is able to get there.

Should be fun to watch that segment over the coming months.

who dat?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinn Simmons, rides for Trek now.

https://www.velonews.com/...leadville-100_499055
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Yeah when he did the wrong segment it just made him look goofy and was funny because he obviously didn't realize it. This one was different, clearly misleading. Maybe he didn't understand how that would come across. Dunno

When you know there is a 5500' climb in front of you that takes 75-90 minutes for an elite rider to climb, how can you go out and think you've conquered the prestigious KOM for the mountain with a 29 minute effort? Or, how can you not suspect ahead of time that maybe the KOM you are hunting happens to be the full mountain and at least confirm before you leave? Either this guy is dumber than a pile of rocks or he took off hoping to take the full KOM but knew he couldn't keep it up for 75 minutes so salvaged the effort by snaring the 29 minute one. To simply not know he did the wrong segment does not compute. Oh, I'm at Alpe d'Huez. I thought the segment to beat was switchbacks 4-9. Yay!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:

How much quicker do we think a top your climber would go? (Honest question)

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drm437 wrote:
Mario S wrote:

if sam weighs 165lbs then he did 5.3 watts/kg for 77 minutes. Lionel was something like 5.1 for 76 minutes.

i could be wrong, but generally if a pro cyclist is pushing 6.5 watts/kg for sustained periods like that (at the end of stages) that is a red flag. so say a top current (clean) climber could do 6-6.3ish watts/kg for lemmon. i can't do that math, but probably in the neighborhood of 70 minutes? would be fun to model it out, i don't have the know-how or patience to go beyond this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
drm437 wrote:
Mario S wrote:

if sam weighs 165lbs then he did 5.3 watts/kg for 77 minutes. Lionel was something like 5.1 for 76 minutes.

i could be wrong, but generally if a pro cyclist is pushing 6.5 watts/kg for sustained periods like that (at the end of stages) that is a red flag. so say a top current (clean) climber could do 6-6.3ish watts/kg for lemmon. i can't do that math, but probably in the neighborhood of 70 minutes? would be fun to model it out, i don't have the know-how or patience to go beyond this.

That’s a great start gives me an idea. When I was in France last, all the fastest times up climbs are by top tour pros over the big mountains and I knew if I multiplied the fastest time by 1.5 to 1.75 I was in the neighborhood. It was very helpful for planning my day - and very humbling.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought he said he weighed 175lbs iirc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think you are right. couldn't make myself watch his video a second time but i was second guessing my 165. lionel is 165 and sam is 175. so fairly similar watts/kg
Quote Reply

Prev Next