Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [EastonZ16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be amazing! Yes, please film it!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance Armstrong used to climb Mt Lemmon a lot in his heyday, Anyone have any info on some of his times?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll say this about his 381w avg vs PG 375w.

Lionel is using Favero Assioma, wich I also use. I noticed that when I changed power meters, the assiomas would read a little bit less power than my previous one. In DCRay tests it usually reads less than the others he compares.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. It's cool to see where I stack up against pros. I can't just sign up for the Tour de France...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
Lance Armstrong used to climb Mt Lemmon a lot in his heyday, Anyone have any info on some of his times?

I’d be surprised if he spent any time on Lemmon?.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

I’d be surprised if he spent any time on Lemmon?.

Not true actually. In his early pro cycling days he would do training camps up there and rent a cabin at top of Lemmon in summerhaven and finish all his rides with trip up my Lemmon.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:

Doped to the gills.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
that was a good video. that time is incredible, for anyone who doesn't already know that. beating PG by 2mins is pretty much a drubbing. wind plays a role, for sure, but 381w for 1.25hrs @ 165ish pounds is ridiculous. really enjoyed including phil's message at the end.

Taking 2 minutes off a PG KOM is a serious drubbing. PG doesn't own KOMs because he just happened to grab them in the middle of leisurely century rides; he targets and travels to worthy climbs for which a known doper has the KOM and takes it down to remove a doper from the leaderboard. In this case doper Tom Danielson had the KOM until PG wanted him off the leaderboard and came and got it. So for Sanders to take it down by a full two minutes is serious stuff. What was his VAM? How does it compare to longer European climbs that take similar duration and have seen larger quantity of high profile riders?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d get out of here if I was him, why would any Canadian want to ride out a pandemic in a state that’s 48th in education, high in gun ownership, prison and immigrant population, high in lack of access to care, where people are stealing covid19 test kits from the
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
community health center???? A state that is scraping the barrel in covid19 testing, where over 1/7th of the population is over age 65?

When covid19 takes over all the hospitals and ERs here in the next few weeks (snowbirds are still all here!), people will have a hard time to get emergency care for curable ailments like cuts, bruises, broken collarbones or worse. Hope I am wrong.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may not be popular but something just doesn't seem right. Lionel is a beast of an athlete but to take that KOM by over 2 minutes while only putting out an average of only 2 watts higher than someone than weights 10-15 lbs less just doesn't make mathematical sense. There may have been some serious drafting going on. I have watched both videos and Gaimon almost falls off his bike at the end and Sanders doesn't even appear to be breathing hard.
I would like to see them go head to head on the climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [tedk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ride your bike outside at all?

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
tlc13 wrote:

Doped to the gills.

Someone did say 'early pro cycling days'.

Probably clean then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tedk wrote:
This may not be popular but something just doesn't seem right. Lionel is a beast of an athlete but to take that KOM by over 2 minutes while only putting out an average of only 2 watts higher than someone than weights 10-15 lbs less just doesn't make mathematical sense. There may have been some serious drafting going on. I have watched both videos and Gaimon almost falls off his bike at the end and Sanders doesn't even appear to be breathing hard.

And how accurate were each of their power meters? Is it possible that Sanders is in much better physical shape, which is why he didn't fall over at the end? Dude does ~4 hour Half Ironman's full gas....not sure what you're getting at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To continue.

I've ridden that climb countless times and i'm sure locals can agree with me.

The conditions on that mountain can vary considerably which effects how fast you ride it. Were the conditions different when Phil road it to when Lionel rode it. I'm sure they were... but oh well.

There is more to times than comparing watts and visual perceived effort. The same can be said for Kona and the bike times ridden there.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This may not be popular
don't worry it's about lionel, everything is popular

Quote:
but something just doesn't seem right.
you're right

Quote:
Lionel is a beast of an athlete
we agree

Quote:
but to take that KOM by over 2 minutes while only putting out an average of only 2 watts higher than someone than weights 10-15 lbs less just doesn't make mathematical sense.
holy shit you're right!!!!

Quote:
There may have been some serious drafting going on.
omg totally!

Quote:
I have watched both videos
self-quarantine IS boring

Quote:
and Gaimon almost falls off his bike at the end and Sanders doesn't even appear to be breathing hard.
PG is a wuss, that's well known. lionel is a beast, as you said above

Quote:
and i'd like talbot to film it and send it to his editing team so we can watch

in all seriousness, it is totally believable that lionel took the kom. lemmon is a very wind susceptible climb, so having a "good" wind day vs. a "bad" wind day is certainly worth a substantial amount. which is mentioned in this thread but you don't seem to understand. that's fine. this climb is made for long, sustained power with absolute steadiness. that's something lionel is much better at than most people.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Do you ride your bike outside at all?

No, sorry I don't own a bike, run, or swim. I'm actually a competitive lawn dart player.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course. Then that makes sense why you wouldn't know of the other possible inputs to achieve a faster time during a bike ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
Of course. Then that makes sense why you wouldn't know of the other possible inputs to achieve a faster time during a bike ride.

So what you’re saying is that if the wind is blowing in my face I would ride slower than if the wind is blowing at my back. Wow, never thought about it that way. Believe it or not, it’s harder throwing the darts into the wind as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's what I am saying. Does that make mathematical sense?
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [trimike77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimike77 wrote:
Yep, that's what I am saying. Does that make mathematical sense?

Finally, something a simpleton like me can understand. Thanks for clearing that up for me. If you ever need help with lawn darts let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what the (appears to be) bone conduction headphones that he's wearing and do they actually work?

I'm tired of my headphones that seem to trap/amplify the wind when I run/bike
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [slower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slower wrote:
Does anyone know what the (appears to be) bone conduction headphones that he's wearing and do they actually work?

I'm tired of my headphones that seem to trap/amplify the wind when I run/bike

They're called AfterShokz and they are excellent. I have the Trekz Air model and they are fantastic. I can wear them with sunglasses and cycling helmet and they do not get in the way. I can hear the music and the ambient noise around me. Obviously if you're bombing down a hill and air is being forced into your ear the wind will drown out the music but under normal conditions I hear the music just fine. Battery life is excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PG is retired and Lionel is at the peak of his career and in better shape in general. So the longer the event, the better it is for Lionel. And 2 minutes over 1 hour and 16 minutes is actually pretty small difference; could easily be accounted for by more favorable conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel also made it a point to say multiple times in the recap video that he chose to ride as much as possible in the drops to improve aero. Phil cut the drops off his bars to save weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel takes Mt Lemmon KOM -- non covid news [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam long put up a pretty impressive time today too. Beat out Gaimon and almost got Lionel.

https://www.strava.com/...segments/80217492215

Train hard to Race harder

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre
Quote Reply

Prev Next