Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lets see your SHIV [twinracer2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buddy of mine is doing Kona. Just bought a new transition from specialized because they will ship there for free. Plus they are blowing them out....cheap!! So........it does not show up and what does specialized do? Set him up on a brand new Shiv. Dont know how he will run off of it but damn a new shiv!!!

Re: Lets see your SHIV [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hello

a little update of my project I have found a solution to put the Di2 battery in the frame (in the seatpost) the only solution for the full integration is to make a hole so I have do it

Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [timtri13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, all:
About to pull the trigger on a Shiv (TT), transferring over from another bike.

Does a large sound right?

I'm 5'11" and based on my curent bike I've got...
* Reach (center of bb to center of pads): 495mm
* Drop (measured from the top of the front of my saddle, which is where I actually ride during short TTs; I've got an Adamo, so measuring from the top of the saddle @ the middle of the rails would be misleading): ~12.5cm
* Current frame's stack = 536mm

I'm riding with a 110mm -17 degree stem, if that makes a difference.

For reference, stats on the Shiv TT are...
Frame size: M / L / XL
Reach to center (forward pos): 480 / 495 / 515
Reach to center (rearward pos): 458 / 473 / 493
Stack to pad holder (low): 543 / 543 / 543
Stack to pad holder (high): 658 / 658 / 658
Frame reach: 405 / 420 / 440
Frame stack: 495 / 495 / 495

I am subject to UCI rules re: saddle position (5cm behind the bb) and max length of extensions (75cm from bb to extremity of the bar incl. shifters).

Thanks for any thoughts! I'm leaning toward the large.

PS I forgot to mention that if/when I pull the trigger, I'll be looking to do a clean internal Di2 installation, so I'll be sure to post what I learn and the results. I'd like to use a Shimano Pro Missile Evo stem/bar setup. I believe the Specialized stem is effectively 75mm; the Shimano comes in 75, 85 and possibly one more, so the 75 v 85 would give me a little room in the reach if I need it (but then again I have that pesky 75cm limit mentioned above).
Last edited by: tetonrider: Oct 13, 11 23:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timtri13 wrote:
hello

a little update of my project I have found a solution to put the Di2 battery in the frame (in the seatpost) the only solution for the full integration is to make a hole so I have do it

May I ask how you were able to tuck the Di2 junction box inside the frame without drilling a hole near the bottom bracket?

Many thanks, and I love the look of your project!
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
timtri13 wrote:
hello

May I ask how you were able to tuck the Di2 junction box inside the frame without drilling a hole near the bottom bracket?

Many thanks, and I love the look of your project!

hello

I hope I understand what you ask me ( because my english is very bad) :-)

So for a complet integration I put all (cablage/juction box ......)in the nosecone ( only the battery will be in the seatpost) so I will have to cut all the cable to extend all them and weld the extension with the original cable . Naturally I put some picture as the start of th e project when I will do that ;-)

I hope that I indeed have you to explain and you can understand what I explain ;-)

king regards timtri13
Last edited by: timtri13: Oct 14, 11 2:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
Hey, all:

I'm 5'11" and based on my curent bike I've got...
* Reach (center of bb to center of pads): 495mm
* Drop (measured from the top of the front of my saddle, which is where I actually ride during short TTs; I've got an Adamo, so measuring from the top of the saddle @ the middle of the rails would be misleading): ~12.5cm
* Current frame's stack = 536mm

I'm riding with a 110mm -17 degree stem, if that makes a difference.

For reference, stats on the Shiv TT are...
Frame size: M / L / XL
Reach to center (forward pos): 480 / 495 / 515
Reach to center (rearward pos): 458 / 473 / 493
Stack to pad holder (low): 543 / 543 / 543
Stack to pad holder (high): 658 / 658 / 658
Frame reach: 405 / 420 / 440
Frame stack: 495 / 495 / 495

I am subject to UCI rules re: saddle position (5cm behind the bb) and max length of extensions (75cm from bb to extremity of the bar incl. shifters).

Thanks for any thoughts! I'm leaning toward the large.

PS I forgot to mention that if/when I pull the trigger, I'll be looking to do a clean internal Di2 installation, so I'll be sure to post what I learn and the results. I'd like to use a Shimano Pro Missile Evo stem/bar setup. I believe the Specialized stem is effectively 75mm; the Shimano comes in 75, 85 and possibly one more, so the 75 v 85 would give me a little room in the reach if I need it (but then again I have that pesky 75cm limit mentioned above).

Are you 156cm height ?

The Shiv TT allso come i size=XS

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tillquist wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
Hey, all:

Are you 156cm height ?

No, I am 180cm. I believe a large is right, but I am curious for other opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't ride a Shiv, but since you are at 495 reach, it seems you can go for the L or the XL (there is no stack difference after all), and it depends whether you prefer the shorter stem or longer stem setup. Shorter stem should feel more lively, longer stem more sluggish when cornering. On the other hand the XL will have a longer wheelbase. You would be further back (relatively) on the XL, so would have less pressure on the front wheel.

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm 190cm and just bought a large. 15cm of drop with the saddle nose (adamo) 1cm behind the bb. Still some tweaks to be done as I ride it more, and I'm not in love with the s-bend extensions so I may need to investigate a DIY fix. Apologies for the non-drive-side pic but this was in the middle of my fit session.

*ALSO* Tough to tell from the picture but this frame is all MATTE BLACK - no gloss accents on the frame. The only gloss is on the seatpost, stem and fork. Specialized tells me this is how the Shiv TT is shipping now, looks very proto-type-ish.

Last edited by: dongustav: Oct 14, 11 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Spackler, cinderella boy, would you have any pictures handy of your aerobar setup with the new extensions? I'm investigating my options on aftermarket mods.
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This build is getting my physically aroused.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [jever98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jever98 wrote:
I don't ride a Shiv, but since you are at 495 reach, it seems you can go for the L or the XL (there is no stack difference after all), and it depends whether you prefer the shorter stem or longer stem setup. Shorter stem should feel more lively, longer stem more sluggish when cornering. On the other hand the XL will have a longer wheelbase. You would be further back (relatively) on the XL, so would have less pressure on the front wheel.

Thanks for this post. I realize that I am on the cusp and could reasonably choose either side, but what you wrote is very interesting.

On my current setup, I feel my weight it a bit far out over the front wheel, which is something I most notice when cornering; however, I am using a 110mm stem to achieve my position.

On the Shiv, the stem is always 75mm, correct? In other words, for both the L and XL, the bike would probably feel more lively than my current bike. Is that a fair statement?

The setup difference would be that on the L my pads would be farther forward, while on the XL they would be more toward the rear.

Wheelbase on the L is 976 vs 996 on the XL. (For reference, wheelbase on my road bike is 986mm.)

Since stem length doesn't change, does that change your answer?
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
i'm 190cm and just bought a large. 15cm of drop with the saddle nose (adamo) 1cm behind the bb. Still some tweaks to be done as I ride it more, and I'm not in love with the s-bend extensions so I may need to investigate a DIY fix. Apologies for the non-drive-side pic but this was in the middle of my fit session.

love the look!

wow--190cm and a large. what is your preferred stack & reach?

my adamo has to be 5cm behind the bb. i would actually think that riding steeper would tend to push someone toward a larger frame (is that true?).

i am sure you have the right size frame (obviously there are a number of factors that go into it) -- so i'm not questioning your fit, just interested.

i can't see going to a medium for my situation (@180cm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not having studied the handlebar setup in detail, here is what I understand to be the case (might be wrong): on the XL you would mount the pads in the rear position, which is like having a shorter stem when in the aero position. On the L you would be in the forward position, which is like having a longer stem in this position.

When on the pursuit bars there shouldn't be any difference. So in summary:

L: more weight on front wheel, slower steering in aero position
XL: less weight on front wheel, faster steering in aero position

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
On the Shiv, the stem is always 75mm, correct? In other words, for both the L and XL, the bike would probably feel more lively than my current bike. Is that a fair statement?

Yes, they wrote. But if you measure from the center of the stem to the center of the handlebar, then measures the 100mm

I've even ordered a SHIVER TT 2012 and have come to me to have a size XS, because it has such a long stem.

I am 180cm tall and I have searched a lot on the web to see what pro riders who have ridden SHIVER TT 2012 this year and run the example Bert Grabsch from HightRoad on an XS and he is 179cm tall.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [jever98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jever98 wrote:
Not having studied the handlebar setup in detail, here is what I understand to be the case (might be wrong): on the XL you would mount the pads in the rear position, which is like having a shorter stem when in the aero position. On the L you would be in the forward position, which is like having a longer stem in this position.

When on the pursuit bars there shouldn't be any difference. So in summary:

L: more weight on front wheel, slower steering in aero position
XL: less weight on front wheel, faster steering in aero position

thank you. this makes sense to me as well, in theory.

i am a little torn as to which way to go.
Last edited by: tetonrider: Oct 14, 11 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm 172cm
i'm on a lg

seems to work for me. it might be a tad long...... but i feel like there are more dynamic fits as a result. meaning i can stay in the aero pos and slide fore and aft as needed for stress relief/terrain/wind/just to switch it up. i do currently have my seat almost all the way forward and i intend to slide it back a smidge as it seems to be a little to far up. this would lead me to believe things are fine 'for me'. i also cut the extensions down by about an inch to get the Di2 shifters into my hands a little better.

overall, i'm happy with my size choice.
for reference, i move my seat up about .5cm since this video and leveled out the seat (it was off by a short hair)
http://contour.com/...t-shiva-roller-video

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, but for us who run the time trial during the UCI rules that we must have seat 5cm behind the bottom bracket.

...and there you would have a problem with your height and the frame size.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes.......... there i might have an issue. but isn't the nose cone already an issue? (i'm not concerned with that really either way)

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but Shiver TT 2012 is the nose cone away, so it is UCI approved.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry....... my bad, i forgot you were going for the coneless look.

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
Tillquist wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
Hey, all:

Are you 156cm height ?

No, I am 180cm. I believe a large is right, but I am curious for other opinions.

I'm 183cm and I ride a M. Since there is no adjustment fore and aft on the bar pads, I would be too stretched out on a L.

For another comparison, Rappstar is ~190cm and rides a Large (In the nosecone version).

It really depends on how you like to fit your reach. If you need to comply with the 5cm rule, a large might have you pretty stretched out.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team