Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Little5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
99% sure it is a giro advantage 2.

Your can jerry rig a visor on there to work.

Quote | Reply
Giro.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! I finally ordered my SHIV a couple weeks back and should be here by Xmas. lets see more pics of SHIVS!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [CokeZero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grats :)

The shiv just makes me drool!
Since I cant afford one I will just show a picture i shot (with my mobilephone, hence the bad quality):

Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the olympic and world champion owner of that shiv forgot to remove evidence of his motor hidden in the downtube!! That's surely the "suicide shift"!
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

http://oi53.tinypic.com/awrr0w.jpg

SRAM Red, Fizik Aireone Tri 2, Zipp 808 Tubular, Aero hammock b/w bars.

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it doesn't really matter what Grave's saddle is, there is only between 1 and 2 lbs of weight on it at any given time

and how do you know this?
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More pics of the SHIV please...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fit adjusted somewhat since this pic, but essentially final build (for now)

Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [jfanny88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ What size is your Frame? And how tall are you?

I ordered a SHIV in size small and I'm thinking my seatpost will more or less look the same as yours.. I'm 5'7 BTW...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep sounds about right...mine's a small and I'm ~ 5' 6"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Finally getting close on the hydration setup. I plan to change the cage out to the torpedo cage.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [stlrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Final build...........SRAM Red, R2C shifters, SRAM TT 53 tooth ring, I replaced the crappy Specialized brake levers with SRAM TT900's but it is a hassle to put and remove the FC 808, it looks like I may have to settle with the original levers (snif snif). Zipp Open Tubulars 21. Xlab Aero bottle/cage. Xlab Torpedo mount/cage (not shown). The aerobars will be cut 1-2" depending on the final fit.

Last edited by: boilermaker_yv: Feb 25, 11 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
In Reply To:
Great pics. Does the SHIV come with only one seat post? How bout the forward seat post?

Also will a rotor ring and 3D crank work on the shiv?

What do you guys do for hydration?

Our dealer is getting shipment in a few weeks!

Comes with both seatposts.

I do not *believe* the 3D crank will work, since the Shiv is BB30. But why you'd ever want to replace the S-Works crank, which is among the lightest AND stiffest cranks you can buy with the not particularly light nor particular stiff 3D crank is beyond me. Rotor rings will work fine.

Hydration - bottle on frame (aero or regular) & bottle cage horizontally between aerobars.

I have a Rotor 3D crank on my bike. For 2011, Rotor has added the "plus" line which is both BB30 and BBRight compatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Hydration - bottle on frame (aero or regular) & bottle cage horizontally between aerobars.

I remember Mark Cote posting on here that the SPecialized Virtue bottle neither helps nor hinders the aerodynamics of the Shiv frame (pretty much lost in the noise). BUT do you know if there is an aero penalty to running a regular bottle on the frame and how much?

I already plan on one on the bars, but I like to carry 2 and I am trying to figure out the best place for the second bottle (beside the frame the other option is tucked up tight to the seat ala Chris Leito).

I also remember him posting that poorly placed water bottles can cost up to 7 watts....

Thanks.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom3 wrote:
Quote:

I remember Mark Cote posting on here that the SPecialized Virtue bottle neither helps nor hinders the aerodynamics of the Shiv frame (pretty much lost in the noise). BUT do you know if there is an aero penalty to running a regular bottle on the frame and how much?

I already plan on one on the bars, but I like to carry 2 and I am trying to figure out the best place for the second bottle (beside the frame the other option is tucked up tight to the seat ala Chris Leito).

I also remember him posting that poorly placed water bottles can cost up to 7 watts....

Thanks.

Yes, there is an aero penalty. Exactly how much depends on yaw angle. And bottle size. And probably even the cage itself. However, if you need two bottles, I would indeed put the other one in the "normal" spot. Up under the seat has NEVER been reliable in my experience. If you feel you need two bottles, then just accept the fact that there is not an optimal way to carry that much fluid. Of course, no amount of aeroness overcomes bonking, running out of fluids, etc. I venture that I'll run two normal cages in Abu Dhabi this year, just because last year the aid stations were often tricky because of the size of the group of riders.

However, if you simply "like" to have two bottles, then I'd suggest a regular cage between the bars and the virtue bottle on the frame. Most races are more than well supported enough for that to be a good option.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trying to figure it out for IMCDA. Last year when I did it, I used a regular bottle on the bars, a Virtue bottle on the frame and std cage zip tied to seat. It worked okay, but this year I want to carry only 2 bottles, and I like to have the option to carry both water and sports drink. Hence the need to for 2 std. cages somewhere on the frame so I can refill from aid stations. The downside of the Virtue bottle is once it's gone, it sits empty because no real easy way to refill on the fly.

This year I was thinking I need to run a standard cage on the frame, depending on the aero penalty.....

So, I guess I need to see, once the weather breaks, if I can come up with a nutrition strategy to get by with 1 std. cage and the virtue bottle or come up with a way to refill it on course. Still have plenty of time to figure it out. Thanks for your feedback.

But you are right, for distances HIM and below, 1 std cage and virtue bottle is more than enough.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that you used the mini-wedgie bag on the Desert Classic Duathlon, is this the best aero option to carry tools/spare/etc.?

An X-Lab is not in my radar, but I was thinking about a cage and a tool holder bottle.........still don't know if I'll be able to accomplish these with the saddle that much forward.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [boilermaker_yv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boilermaker_yv....

Also check out the SciCon Elan 215 bag. It is even smaller than the Specialized bag Jordan has. On a road bike I can get nearly the whole bag mounted up between the rails so that almost none of it is protruding in the wind. On my tri bike the profile exposed to the wind is still even smaller than Jordan's bag. I like it also because it has a single strap that mounts it to the bike. There is no strap around the seat post. In practice, this makes using the contents during flat changes just a bit faster.

If you must carry spares, and need even a frame mounted aero bottle to carry fluids...then a small bag, detailed with zip ties as Jordan did is still the best option unless you want to take a time penalty and potential equipment risk by figuring out how to store your flat kit inside your aero seat tube/post area. The miniscule aerodynamic tradeoff just isn't worth it in my book.

Of course, the Trek SC owners who have the rear box option which according to Trek is at least aerodynamically neutral if I recall correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [boilermaker_yv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilermaker_yv wrote:
I saw that you used the mini-wedgie bag on the Desert Classic Duathlon, is this the best aero option to carry tools/spare/etc.?

An X-Lab is not in my radar, but I was thinking about a cage and a tool holder bottle.........still don't know if I'll be able to accomplish these with the saddle that much forward.

Cheers

It is, in my opinion, the most practical solution. It's the best aero solution that also easily accessible and light and functional. I'm sure I could make a more aero solution that would take me 20 minutes to actually get into. And that wouldn't be all that useful. Or it'd be really heavy. Or it'd be... I think you get the point. Don't overthink it. A saddle bag does what it needs to do in a way that it, across the board, a very good choice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rapp, I only carry two bottles for an IM. One between the bars and one normal cage on the down tube. I would like to carry an aero bottle on the down tube, I notice that is what you do. I race on course nutrition, what do you do when that aero bottle is empty? Do you have another in special needs?
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Socalbeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what I did last year at IMFL, I put another aero bottle in special needs, and got away with only 2 bottles
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Socalbeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question was not for me, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I thought about the second special needs bottle.....but how much time do you lose by stopping at special needs compared to the time lost by a slightly less aero, round, bottle but riding right by special needs? For me, I don't need to stop there unless something unexpected, so I don't plan my strategy so I have to stop. Time stopped is time lost.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats a good point, I always stop for special needs but its usually for a quick solid food snack. I suppose I could skip it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a valid point, however IMHO carrying 4 bottles + the weight of the xlab + crap for 112 miles makes you lose more time.

I'm a fan of 2 bottles (your choice - 1 aero 1 normal - 2 normal) and slow down at aid stations.

Cheers
Quote Reply

Prev Next