Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:

The other thing I dislike is his hate for Ironman to the point that he has nothing on his Instagram about the IMWC. I love PTO, even more than IM, but I believe both need coverage and you just can't choose to not cover part of the sport because you personally hate a brand. It's not fair to the athletes or the fans.

Is this a weak troll or do you really have no idea what you are talking about? He is over in Nice and every post for the last 2 weeks has been on the WC's, he has even had Messick on another podcast this week..?
Last edited by: gunna: Sep 9, 23 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [gunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunna wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
Nameofuser wrote:

The other thing I dislike is his hate for Ironman to the point that he has nothing on his Instagram about the IMWC. I love PTO, even more than IM, but I believe both need coverage and you just can't choose to not cover part of the sport because you personally hate a brand. It's not fair to the athletes or the fans.

Is this a weak troll or do you really have no idea what you are talking about? He is over in Nice and every post for the last 2 weeks has been on the WC's, he has even had Messick on another podcast this week..?

Nope. No troll. His Insta has zero content. I suppose all the efforts have been on podcasts, but I've noticed him posting a lot less on Insta. I guess there haven't been enough polarizing click bait stories to latch onto.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
gunna wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:

Nope. No troll. His Insta has zero content. I suppose all the efforts have been on podcasts, but I've noticed him posting a lot less on Insta. I guess there haven't been enough polarizing click bait stories to latch onto.

Riiiiight...so he has travelled all the way to France so he can ignore the IM world champs....and your criticism is that a podcaster who is actively doing podcasts, even has had the CEO of IM on again, is ignoring the WC's because he hasn't posted enough pretty pictures...

The internet summed up perfectly..
Last edited by: gunna: Sep 9, 23 13:44
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
Why does Jack have so many haters on Slowtwitch? He seems to be universally adored on social media, but it seems that some people on this form are jealous that he managed to carve out a high profile triathlon media profile for himself.

Who ?
Obvs not that high profile!
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Nameofuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:
Jack Kelly preached staunch anti doping position.

Triathlon hour and Wyn partner.

I really loathe insinuations such as this.
Assuming the worst and Beth’s positive result was correct. Does that mean in your world there are no second chances? Does that mean in your world that any business that she is then associated with is forever tainted and should be blacklisted? Because that is basically what you are implying.
Wyn has been built into a really nice premium product line that is used by a number of pros and has a strong and loyal following down under. Beth is one part of it. We are now so far post her suspension period. Heck, Wyn was even on one of the GTN pre race segments and they are working with Chelsea and have her in a prototype suit in Kona at this very moment. Which also happens to be where my swim coach is doing a swim camp etc with her pre the big dance.
Do we now need to put Chelsea in this same group of people who should not be associating with the brand?
This is just a joke. Jack is polarizing I get it, he is Australian and like Wurf, a lot of the world struggles to get the humour that we are all so used to. This forum loves to hate. He’s no Triathlon Taren promoting pseudo rubbish etc. He is unique on many levels and clearly has some close relationships with a number of pros and brands and his knowledge of the sport is exceptional all things considered.
Can we just let a guy (or gal) (or they/them) build their brand and be successful without making such stupid insinuations.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Nameofuser wrote:

Assuming the worst and Beth’s positive result was correct. Does that mean in your world there are no second chances? Does that mean in your world that any business that she is then associated with is forever tainted and should be blacklisted? Because that is basically what you are implying.
Wyn has been built into a really nice premium product line that is used by a number of pros and has a strong and loyal following down under. Beth is one part of it. We are now so far post her suspension period. Heck, Wyn was even on one of the GTN pre race segments and they are working with Chelsea and have her in a prototype suit in Kona at this very moment. Which also happens to be where my swim coach is doing a swim camp etc with her pre the big dance.
Do we now need to put Chelsea in this same group of people who should not be associating with the brand?
This is just a joke. Jack is polarizing I get it, he is Australian and like Wurf, a lot of the world struggles to get the humour that we are all so used to. This forum loves to hate. He’s no Triathlon Taren promoting pseudo rubbish etc. He is unique on many levels and clearly has some close relationships with a number of pros and brands and his knowledge of the sport is exceptional all things considered.
Can we just let a guy (or gal) (or they/them) build their brand and be successful without making such stupid insinuations.

He didn't say, or imply any of the things you said, all he said is that it is hypocritical to be a staunch/vocal campaigner against doping, but to then partner with a firm ran by someone who served a doping ban.

As it goes, I like most of Jack's podcasts and I think he has done well for himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peak ST. Post originator has not replied to one comment. 4 pages later……

Im a 50+ yr old curmudgeon at times so the Skip Bayliss style of commentary/content drives me nuts…so i do not tune in. Its kinda that easy.

Be water my friends

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an opinion that wasn't expressed, I was asking a question to see if others were similar or different in thought.

Triathlon is all about second chances irrelevant of wrong doing (alleged or proven); Lance, Beth, Macca, Sutton - take your pick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with the guy, maybe I just don't get annoyed easily. He's not mean or anything so I don't care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
Nameofuser wrote:

Well, he does grossly and inaccurately embellish like Taren. He also promotes his sponsors shamelessly for self promotion like Taren. For Jack it's Pillar and Taren AG1. I get it in that you have to plug sponsors, but both guys are using the sport for self promotion and gain at the end of the day. They're one in the same in my eyes and I like them both.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [gunna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunna wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
gunna wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:

Riiiiight...so he has travelled all the way to France so he can ignore the IM world champs....and your criticism is that a podcaster who is actively doing podcasts, even has had the CEO of IM on again, is ignoring the WC's because he hasn't posted enough pretty pictures...

The internet summed up perfectly..

And yet, we haven’t seen one single story about today’s race. Not the “greatest race in the history of the sport”?

Edit: He finally made one. But with how verbose he usually is with his race posts, if you can’t see the bias you are lying to yourself. He isn’t about promoting the sport, he is about promoting himself through the sport.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Sep 10, 23 6:17
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly right, like he knows all. You almost feel sorry for him because he thinks his relationships with the athletes are real friendships and not just business ,you can't help but think he sits at home each night looking at Fred Funks profile telling himself they're best friends.

Also, its clear he just makes stuff up about himself in another Podcast he was speaking on his own career and a quick search on OBSTRI of Jack results would say he has just made up his times and his 40 hour training weeks. He also announce he would come back to win AG Roth next year, another point of jack not living in the real world.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [marginalgames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marginalgames wrote:
exactly right, like he knows all. You almost feel sorry for him because he thinks his relationships with the athletes are real friendships and not just business ,you can't help but think he sits at home each night looking at Fred Funks profile telling himself they're best friends.

Also, its clear he just makes stuff up about himself in another Podcast he was speaking on his own career and a quick search on OBSTRI of Jack results would say he has just made up his times and his 40 hour training weeks. He also announce he would come back to win AG Roth next year, another point of jack not living in the real world.

To be honest, I think that’s probably the only way you can make it in the social media era… you have to be willing to be a little (or a lot) fake.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be fair, I didn't even know what he looked like prior to his commentating gigs at the PTO US Open. If you look at the podcast's socials, it's all about the athletes and coaches. He did the now infamous Road to PTO European Open with Chartier, Funk, Noodt, Bishop, Royale just talking about their weekly training. He did a series where two coaches just talked to each other. He gave Hayden Wilde his own show. He's pivoted to more triathlon news content, but in the early days he focused on the athlete's training. I remember him posting about 'epic' sessions like Cam Brown's training calendar. So I disagree that the content he puts out is all about him.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [runningeconomy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningeconomy wrote:
To be fair, I didn't even know what he looked like prior to his commentating gigs at the PTO US Open. If you look at the podcast's socials, it's all about the athletes and coaches. He did the now infamous Road to PTO European Open with Chartier, Funk, Noodt, Bishop, Royale just talking about their weekly training. He did a series where two coaches just talked to each other. He gave Hayden Wilde his own show. He's pivoted to more triathlon news content, but in the early days he focused on the athlete's training. I remember him posting about 'epic' sessions like Cam Brown's training calendar. So I disagree that the content he puts out is all about him.

One thing is the podcast itself, which I definitely like, especially the coach interviews. The other is his social media footprint. That’s where he is more “trolly”, “jokie”, and that’s where people get the “look at me I’m friends with all the pros” impression.

And he is a somewhat fake in social media. Are we forgetting that he went to bed “shaking” and “crying” when the accident happened in Hamburg? All he wanted that day was attack Ironman as it was post Messick interview. He even called out Messick directly.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Beth got popped, served her ban. Should Wyn be boycotted because if that?

Would you support someone that went to jail, served their time and got out?

For murder or rape?
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [AndyLangdon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's an awfully wide gulf between an anti-doping violation (that included a reduced penalty) and rape/murder.

But to your question, I've shopped at brands or stores that have assisted ex-cons. Because if you've paid your debt to society, re-integration into society is also key versus treating someone as a pariah for eternity.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
There's an awfully wide gulf between an anti-doping violation (that included a reduced penalty) and rape/murder.

But to your question, I've shopped at brands or stores that have assisted ex-cons. Because if you've paid your debt to society, re-integration into society is also key versus treating someone as a pariah for eternity.

The comparison between doping and rape/murder is so stupid it doesnt quantify a reply!

I work with 2 ex-cons - our company has a scheme to assist re-introducing people into society and giving them a chance. I may be biased because of this, but they are 2 of the hardest working people in our company / I have ever worked alongside. I couldn't agree more
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So there’s levels of wrong you are ok with.

I have never purchased Nike shoes or clothing due to their child labor back pre 2000

That’s my line.

I’d never buy a product from a convicted drug user

I’d never fly on certain Middle East airlines that have human rights violations

I notice sponsors on this site aren’t any of those so Dan thinks the same.

But that’s me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At what point would you stop holding a grudge for previous wrong doing?

Would you buy Nikes if 75% of all proceeds were verifiably given to children’s charities?

What about if they gave 10% of all future revenue to any person who was employed by them under the age of 18 for the remainder of their lives?

What about if they provided every child globally a free pair of shoes every year until they turned 18?

Is there actually a point where they could attone or once a sinner always a sinner and no good can over come a troubled past?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is how society is supposed to work. You're supposed to be able to come back after you've paid up.

We've pursued partner agreements with WYN in the past. They didn't work out.

Dan also sold the site a year ago, if you recall. https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._the_Baton_8502.html

Honest question: we'd *gladly* take a partner agreement with Delta, as both Eric and I fly it damn near exclusively. One of their partner airlines is China Eastern. Is this problematic in your eyes?

I'm writing this on a MacBook Air while wrapping up a call on my iPhone, and about to review the Apple Watch. Same standards?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyLangdon wrote:

I have never purchased Nike shoes or clothing due to their child labor back pre 2000

That’s my line.

But that’s me.

I’m sure there’s plenty of things in your household that were manufactured in China from companies violating Chinese child labor laws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyLangdon wrote:

That’s my line.

But that’s me.

I hope you don't eat meat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you have mistaken his personality towards the people he interviews and who he actually is.

As a podcast host he is super nice to athletes and coaches as without them what is he???

he basically told Andrew M Ironman is just about money and they are not for the wellbeing of triathlon.

He basically told his audience today, that they have to pay and attend his show to hear the audio from the nice interviews.

Kind of in it for the money , like he tried to slam ironman with.

Or he is controlled by PTO and cannot post due to contract.

Who he is, just like 99% of people, in it for money and props.

You must be ethnical and moral to create income or success but I get to change the rules when I can grow fast, on be more successful, but I am still going to be nice to those that can help me or pay me.

this is our world now.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it quite funny that his “live podcasts” in Nice are not in fact going to be podcasts.
Quote Reply

Prev Next