Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jack Kelly hypocrisy?
Quote | Reply
Jack Kelly preached staunch anti doping position.

Triathlon hour and Wyn partner.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Nameofuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you please write an intelligible post? What are you talking about?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does Jack have so many haters on Slowtwitch? He seems to be universally adored on social media, but it seems that some people on this form are jealous that he managed to carve out a high profile triathlon media profile for himself.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thankful for the work and effort Jack has put in. An avid consumer and a short term patreon. No hate from me but yes generally the twits here do hate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
Why does Jack have so many haters on Slowtwitch? He seems to be universally adored on social media, but it seems that some people on this form are jealous that he managed to carve out a high profile triathlon media profile for himself.

Just my 2 cents…

I’d not call myself his hater, I listen to probably every second HTT / TTH podcast, but I still don’t appreciate many things he does or says:
- (not a crime in itself, just doesn’t appeal to me) he’s heavily biased towards the athletes & people he has close contact with
- (as above) his hyperbole is laughable (everyone is the best, the GOAT, the closest, his favorite, the hardest working etc.)
- his advertisement for PP, Tripple Magnesium, Form goggles etc. is too much for me
- he’s biased towards PTO because they’ve employed him, unlike IM

Overall I don’t perceive him as trustworthy nor genuine. But I happily listen to his guests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:

I thought you were talking about Luke. But you were talking about Beth his wife.

Isn’t Google wonderful

https://www.triathlete.com/...ans-announced-today/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:

the above post nailed it. the hyperbole and bias make him unbearable to listen to.

my wife, who is a follower of triathlon enough to know most of the pros, but not know who jack kelly was when we turned on the PTO US open broadcast to watch...within 10 minutes of listening she asked me "who is this commentator", and then added a statement to the effect that he seems insane. that was about the point in the race, midway thru the bike, that Jack said it was the most exciting triathlon he'd seen (again - this is midway thru the bike when nothing was happenign...), and that all the americans were out of it and had no chance. jason west ran to 2nd.

i just dont like listening to him talk because of the things he says. it's pretty simple. and i don't think i'm alone. maybe i am subconciously jealous that he has carved out a media profile in the sport...but that doesn't mean i can't also personally dislike his style and the things he says.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

its perfectly clear what he means.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:

Just my 2 cents…

I’d not call myself his hater, I listen to probably every second HTT / TTH podcast, but I still don’t appreciate many things he does or says:
- (not a crime in itself, just doesn’t appeal to me) he’s heavily biased towards the athletes & people he has close contact with
- (as above) his hyperbole is laughable (everyone is the best, the GOAT, the closest, his favorite, the hardest working etc.)
- his advertisement for PP, Tripple Magnesium, Form goggles etc. is too much for me

Overall I don’t perceive him as trustworthy nor genuine. But I happily listen to his guests.

His bias towards the PTO heavily predates his involvement with the PTO. He has a heavy interest in growing the pro sport and believes, as many do, that PTO is the best route forward.

Not disagreeing with anything else you said.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

It was not to me I had to do some digging. Luke McKenzie was literally in tears when Collin Chartier got popped. Surprising how things sometimes pan out.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

It was not to me I had to do some digging. Luke McKenzie was literally in tears when Collin Chartier got popped. Surprising how things sometimes pan out.

It's not so easy given that beth only got 2 years it's not that clean cut.
But still ,it's enough for the original poster to ask the question. And it was perfectly clear what he means.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My problem with Jack Kelly is the bloviating. Loves to hear himself talk. And he's like a sith lord, only deals in absolutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
And it was perfectly clear what he means.

It was clear after I had done some googling. Reading it cold I had no idea what it was about. To me anyway.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet you stir the pot with your forum post...

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
TheGOAT wrote:

Just my 2 cents…

I think this covers it pretty well.

I’d also like to add that it may be a generational thing but he seems to pivot between some kind of reporter brining you “the hard hitting questions” and the “breaking news”, things I am a fan of, and this incredibly silly and stupid persona that’s “totally in love with Fredrick Funk”.

And the Sith Lord comment is so true, I still can’t get over the fact that he called that bridge overpass in Singapore the equivalent of a queen stage in the tour.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Sep 7, 23 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
pk wrote:

It was clear after I had done some googling. Reading it cold I had no idea what it was about. To me anyway.

Yeah what I mean while it is clear beth failled a test, it's not so clear cut if it was voluntarily or involuntarily.
So while I don't think her husband should cry for show when somebody gets poped, it does not raise my blood pressure

At the same time if you are the worlds most anti doping guy that jack claims to be , it's not the smartest collaboration.
But then again I am sure making a living from podcasts is not that easy and extremely time intensive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
earthling wrote:
pk wrote:

Yeah what I mean while it is clear beth failled a test, it's not so clear cut if it was voluntarily or involuntarily.
So while I don't think her husband should cry for show when somebody gets poped, it does not raise my blood pressure

At the same time if you are the worlds most anti doping guy that jack claims to be , it's not the smartest collaboration.
But then again I am sure making a living from podcasts is not that easy and extremely time intensive

Got you. Yes I agree from the report I read its not clear cut. If it was accidental its a real shame and diabolical that PEDs appear in salt tablets.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to the thread generally:

1.) Let's not re-litigate Beth's penalty. We've been through this one twice before.

2.) Of all the things to harp on Jack for, this ain't it.

As I've said in other threads, I think Jack is our current Skip Bayless / Stephen A. Very popular, very loud, very much not for everyone, might overstay their welcome depending on the hyperbole-o-meter, but I ain't gonna sit here and fault him, either, for carving out a niche for himself. There's room for all of us at the table.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

To someone who doesn't spend 2 hours a day googling obscure facts about low profile ex pros, local brands and podcast partnerships, it read more like a riddle.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

To someone who doesn't spend 2 hours a day googling obscure facts about low profile ex pros, local brands and podcast partnerships, it read more like a riddle.

It was a big story at the time, with Luke attacking people on social media for being critical.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
It was a big story at the time, with Luke attacking people on social media for being critical.

Really? I had no idea! Just goes to show I have been around a long time but that one flew over my head!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
pk wrote:
kajet wrote:

I don't consider this to be an 'obscure fact', and certainly not at the time. Back when they were running Island House Tri and Beth's Osterine positive was blowing up, it was a very big deal. They were very influential personalities and figures in the sport due to controlling the start list for that big money event and their racing success in racing in the 2010s.

When the news broke, people decided they liked Beth and Luke, were generally willing to explain it away, and give a pass in the court of public opinion.

I'm always surprised to see how much Wynn Republic brand escaped and continues to escape any contamination from Beth's doping positive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:

What are you talking about? If you're talking about Beth McKenzie doping sanction from several years ago somehow makes him a hypocrite, well most people on this board are hypocrites. But I don't see how getting sponsorship money from Wynn Republic makes his anti-doping position hypocritical. Unless you're talking about something more recent from Luke or Beth that I'm unaware of. Should he be pro-doping if he makes a sponsorship agreement with Ineos or Bolton Equities?

Like please explain your position here.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listened a little to his recent podcast with Lionel's cameraman where Jack was bragging about having a laugh with Crowie all week. Kind of felt bad for the guy because it's apparent he'd never hung around a locker room or had any real sports buddies growing up.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [EuroTrash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beth got popped, served her ban. Should Wyn be boycotted because if that?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply

Prev Next