Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
fulla wrote:
He has called jan the šŸ a number of times

And to be clear, I'm not a Jan fan myself. But calling Jan "one of the most complete" when every other day you call all your buddies "the greatest triathletes in the history of the universe" speaks very poorly of Jack as un-biased commentator, which I believe someone already made that point:

There is an expectation of commentators to be not only very knowledgable about the sport, but also unbiased. Jack is only one of those things.

lol, so you are getting upset about hyperbole, and then on the other hand are upset because he referred to Frodo as the 'most complete' instead of using the term 'goat'....omfg...facepalm...
Last edited by: lastlap: Sep 7, 23 21:14
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:

And here you are too, whining because some people don't like Kelly's style.

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?
It's like raaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiinnnnn......

Weak...and if you want to use ironic the definition would have to be Americans complaining about hyperbole...

And there are parts of Jacks style I don't like, particularly how often he says 'funner' or how he says 'trust me'. But then I put my big boys pants on and get on with life rather than running to the internet with my box of tissues..

I'm not American, so it's cool. I can complain about hyperbole.

Quote:
But then I put my big boys pants on and get on with life rather than running to the internet with my box of tissues

Good for you. Aaaaaanyways...

Like I was saying. Jack definitely has some content I really like, his interviews with atheltes and coaches about training were awesome. He has deviated from that and he is more gossip, rumors, and trolling and I personally have no interest in that. He did make improvements from Milwaukee to Singapore, and I guess we will have to live with the hyperbole if he is staying as one of the PTO's commentators.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
fulla wrote:
He has called jan the šŸ a number of times

And to be clear, I'm not a Jan fan myself. But calling Jan "one of the most complete" when every other day you call all your buddies "the greatest triathletes in the history of the universe" speaks very poorly of Jack as un-biased commentator, which I believe someone already made that point:

There is an expectation of commentators to be not only very knowledgable about the sport, but also unbiased. Jack is only one of those things.

lol, so you are getting upset about hyperbole, and then on the other hand are upset because he referred to Frodo as the 'most complete' instead of using the term 'goat'....omfg...facepalm...

Cool, thanks for mis-interpretenting what I said. You are either going to engage in this discussion in good faith or I can just simply ignore you.

I don't care if jan is called GOAT or not. In fact, I don't care what Jack Kelly said prior to him becoming a commentator for the sport. All we are saying is that he uses too much hyperbole and the dude can't hide his biaises. I don't think we are asking too much.

You are getting excessively worked up over us having a conversation about some aspects of Kelly's commentating we don't like. Maybe take your own advice, put on your big boy pants, put down the tissue box, go outside and get a life.
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Sep 7, 23 21:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
applenutt wrote:
I disagree. World Tour cycling is commentated by our NBC experts. Triathlon is too niche to think it deserves the same level of commentary. Overall, the performance of triathlon comm testy for IM and 70.3 is a D- at best. But they donā€™t hire good media people.

I honestly don't understand why people think that Kelly is the commentating this sport needed. Have we forgotten how fucking awesome Ali Brownlee was commentating Super League a few years ago? Now that was some good insight into the dynamics of the race, without the superlatives and exaggerations. THAT to me is what this sport needs for commentary.

Wrong, you need both of them. Jack Kelly as the play-by-play announcer (basketball term, it's not really play by play in triathlon but you get what I mean) who knows the sport well still, and had lots of cool insider things to say about most athletes. Jack is decent (and improving) at this. And then the ex-or current pro (Alistair) as colour commentator, the expert who can really relate to what the pros are experiencing and is good at relaying this to the audience. Alistair is indeed great at it.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
applenutt wrote:
I disagree. World Tour cycling is commentated by our NBC experts. Triathlon is too niche to think it deserves the same level of commentary. Overall, the performance of triathlon comm testy for IM and 70.3 is a D- at best. But they donā€™t hire good media people.

I honestly don't understand why people think that Kelly is the commentating this sport needed. Have we forgotten how fucking awesome Ali Brownlee was commentating Super League a few years ago? Now that was some good insight into the dynamics of the race, without the superlatives and exaggerations. THAT to me is what this sport needs for commentary.

Wrong, you need both of them. Jack Kelly as the play-by-play announcer (basketball term, it's not really play by play in triathlon but you get what I mean) who knows the sport well still, and had lots of cool insider things to say about most athletes. Jack is decent (and improving) at this. And then the ex-or current pro (Alistair) as colour commentator, the expert who can really relate to what the pros are experiencing and is good at relaying this to the audience. Alistair is indeed great at it.

Yeah, I get it. But with many other people that have Jackā€™s personality or style, it will always be polarizing: you either love it or you hate it. You can see it in this very thread.

Same with Lionel, heā€™s very polarizing, his fans fucking love him, and his hatera fucking detest him and his fans.

So to all those Jack Kelly fans out there, buckle up because your boy has some people thar donā€™t like his style. ā€œPut on your big boy pantsā€ and take it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
applenutt wrote:

Yeah, I get it. But with many other people that have Jackā€™s personality or style, it will always be polarizing: you either love it or you hate it. You can see it in this very thread.

Same with Lionel, heā€™s very polarizing, his fans fucking love him, and his hatera fucking detest him and his fans.

So to all those Jack Kelly fans out there, buckle up because your boy has some people thar donā€™t like his style. ā€œPut on your big boy pantsā€ and take it.

I'm sure his 'fans' will sleep at night, unlike his critics ;)

The fact that people can get so worked up about at totally amateur, untrained, self-employed bloke trying to make a living talking about a sport he loves is hilarious. Champagne tastes on beer budgets...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
Diabolo wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
applenutt wrote:

I'm sure his 'fans' will sleep at night, unlike his critics ;)

The fact that people can get so worked up about at totally amateur, untrained, self-employed bloke trying to make a living talking about a sport he loves is hilarious. Champagne tastes on beer budgets...

My man, get off your high horse and realize that you are just as pathetic as we are. You are in here whining that someone doesn't like something you like. Grow up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree... why the hell is there even a post about this sort of stuff? Time to grow up. You don't like it, great, jog on champ. Always another podcast for you to listen to.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [TakeYourTime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can someone please do three dot points to explain to me what this thread is about?
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
Can someone please do three dot points to explain to me what this thread is about?

-OP starts thread calling out Jack for being friends with an athlete who was busted doping years ago
-Everyone jumps up and down about what they don't like about Jack for the millionth time
-I call them sooks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
NAB777 wrote:

-OP starts thread calling out Jack for being friends with an athlete who was busted doping years ago
-Everyone jumps up and down about what they don't like about Jack for the millionth time
-I call them sooks

Got it šŸ‘
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
NAB777 wrote:

-I call them sooks

You missed the part where I enquired WTF the OP was about. I feel so ignored!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see the NZ/Aus contingent is alive and well this morning. :)

Long-term I think Jack *could* grow into a role, but I don't think he's the PxP person. That needs to be a more experienced, polished hand. Someone who can steer a broadcast for a few hours, let Jack have his moments, let Mirinda (who honestly has been the biggest surprise all year on commentary across every brand) get her stuff in, and then be able to talk to the non-triathlon geek audience / be trusted. Not far off from Scott Van Pelt getting ESPN to bid on the NYC Marathon and host that coverage.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
But then I put my big boys pants on and get on with life rather than running to the internet with my box of tissues..

So you're saying it's wrong to remove your pants and browse the internet with a box of tissues handy? Damnit I got that all wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TakeYourTime wrote:
I agree... why the hell is there even a post about this sort of stuff? Time to grow up. You don't like it, great, jog on champ. Always another podcast for you to listen to.

So, this is what I got from the Kelly stans:

1- We should only talk about things we like. With pants on.

2- We shouldnā€™t not like things people like.

Got it.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

Long-term I think Jack *could* grow into a role, but I don't think he's the PxP person. That needs to be a more experienced, polished hand. Someone who can steer a broadcast for a few hours, let Jack have his moments, let Mirinda (who honestly has been the biggest surprise all year on commentary across every brand) get her stuff in, and then be able to talk to the non-triathlon geek audience / be trusted. Not far off from Scott Van Pelt getting ESPN to bid on the NYC Marathon and host that coverage.

Agreed. I think Jack and Talbot absolutely have a place in triathlon media, we need the loud sometimes obnoxious voices like Stephen A, Mad Dog and Skip Bayless. But we also need measured media that evens out some of the more extreme voices like the Sportscenter anchors of old who got you hyped but not through negativity or hyperbole but just through solid reporting and entertaining content (thinking of Kilborn, Olberman, Van Pelt, Scott and Patrick) or even a Wilbon.

Iā€™m still hoping that Pat and Mark can settle into those type of roles on PTN.

We need different styles of commentetary and social reporting to grow the sport. Jack appeals to a ton of people which is fantastic, but he also is the complete opposite to others so we donā€™t need to cancel Jack but instead beed the other voices to emerge to be available alongside him.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [marquette42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marquette42 wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Agreed. I think Jack and Talbot absolutely have a place in triathlon media, we need the loud sometimes obnoxious voices like Stephen A, Mad Dog and Skip Bayless. But we also need measured media that evens out some of the more extreme voices like the Sportscenter anchors of old who got you hyped but not through negativity or hyperbole but just through solid reporting and entertaining content (thinking of Kilborn, Olberman, Van Pelt, Scott and Patrick) or even a Wilbon.

Iā€™m still hoping that Pat and Mark can settle into those type of roles on PTN.

We need different styles of commentetary and social reporting to grow the sport. Jack appeals to a ton of people which is fantastic, but he also is the complete opposite to others so we donā€™t need to cancel Jack but instead beed the other voices to emerge to be available alongside him.

I'm definitely not promoting a "cancelation" of Kelly, nor do I think anyone in here voicing their "dislikes" is trying to do that. I completely understand his appeal, I understand why a lot of people like him, and he has a big social media presence. He should continue to do what he's doing, and if Milwaukee -> Singapore is an indication of how he can progress, in a couple of years he may be very good at it. The hyperbole won't stop but like you said, that's going to be his style, not my cup of tea but some good drinking games may come out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This should be a forum for sharing information, tri-related. Not a gossip fest- or winge fest... unfortunately, people feel the need to winge about anything and everything on here these days. Keep it to the bunch rides, and come here with intelligent conversations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TakeYourTime wrote:
This should be a forum for sharing information, tri-related. Not a gossip fest- or winge fest... unfortunately, people feel the need to winge about anything and everything on here these days. Keep it to the bunch rides, and come here with intelligent conversations.

Australians are back.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
Why does Jack have so many haters on Slowtwitch? He seems to be universally adored on social media, but it seems that some people on this form are jealous that he managed to carve out a high profile triathlon media profile for himself.

Maybe he just hasn't shown Lionel enough love to earn the respect of ST!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bloody Aussies
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Jack, seriously you got to consider him as the greatest of all time. I've never met him but we're real close, I consider him a real mate. I'm not trying to suck him off, but he's amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [garageman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
garageman wrote:
I love Jack, seriously you got to consider him as the greatest of all time. I've never met him but we're real close, I consider him a real mate. I'm not trying to suck him off, but he's amazing.

I trust you on this
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Nameofuser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nameofuser wrote:
Jack Kelly preached staunch anti doping position.

Triathlon hour and Wyn partner.

I love Jack's content and personality. He's great for the sport. I have a true disdain for his overt biases. He's pretty anti-North America. He goes out of his way to discredit American and Canadian athletes. Give me a damn break.

The other thing I dislike is his hate for Ironman to the point that he has nothing on his Instagram about the IMWC. I love PTO, even more than IM, but I believe both need coverage and you just can't choose to not cover part of the sport because you personally hate a brand. It's not fair to the athletes or the fans.

Jack needs to grow up and set his personal biases aside for a minute as a self-proclaimed fan of the sport. A real fan doesn't go there. You love the sport universally and don't let "partners" or "sponsors" interfere with your love of the sport.

He's putting personal gain and motives ahead of his so called love for triathlon. It reminds me of Triathlon Taren and Talbot. Do they "love the sport" or "love what the sport does for THEM"? When they're self interest isn't supported they are crickets or lash out. It's not the least bit cool.
Last edited by: Sub17Project: Sep 9, 23 7:48
Quote Reply
Re: Jack Kelly hypocrisy? [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
The other thing I dislike is his hate for Ironman to the point that he has nothing on his Instagram about the IMWC. I love PTO, even more than IM, but I believe both need coverage and you just can't choose to not cover part of the sport because you personally hate a brand. It's not fair to the athletes or the fans.

this taking sides goes beyond one podcaster.

I don't want our media to be CNN or Fox News.
Quote Reply

Prev Next