Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is this a dick move? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, very disrespectful of your fellow competitors - don't do it.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [gucc_inferno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Join me and enter the sprint event that starts a bit later? I'm guessing your doing Tinman... I'm also doing a 70.3 in 5 weeks, but only going sprint at Tinman, because I just kinda want to...

Seriously though, I wouldn't do more laps than the prescribed distance for all the reasons that others have mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gucc_inferno wrote:

The only timing mats are in place as you enter/exit transition so no other mats are out on the course

Double letters in your user name. You sure you're not intending to cut a few laps short instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gucc_inferno wrote:
Hey team,
So I'm training for a 70.3 race which is in 5 weeks time. My plan is to participate in olympic distance tri next weekend as a warm up for the 70.3.
The olympic tri is a multi-lap thing (3 lap swim, 2 lap bike, 3 lap run) and I am giving some consideration to voluntarily tacking on an extra lap each on the bike & run legs to get the total distances closer to what I'll be doing in the 70.3. I'm not doing the olympic to win so my finish time is not a factor - I just want a good opposed training day.

The only timing mats are in place as you enter/exit transition so no other mats are out on the course, and there are also no aid stations on the bike so I'm not taking stuff from other competitors in that regard.

What is the consensus - dick move or would this be OK?

As someone who volunteers a lot , as long as you aren’t last and there is always someone behind you, it would be fine.

Maybe next year volunteer at the race.

You aren’t cutting the course.

Worst case maybe only do it for the bike and finish the run and then just keep running once you cross the line. A lot of people do that in our races.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also a many time volunteer and race director MANY years ago

I see nothing wrong with what you want to do
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 31, 19 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the prescribed course and then add more bike and run after you finish and your timing chip is off your body.

I’ve seen many people do the run course again, but run it backwards the second time to get extra miles in or a long warm down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gucc_inferno wrote:
Hey team,
So I'm training for a 70.3 race which is in 5 weeks time. My plan is to participate in olympic distance tri next weekend as a warm up for the 70.3.
The olympic tri is a multi-lap thing (3 lap swim, 2 lap bike, 3 lap run) and I am giving some consideration to voluntarily tacking on an extra lap each on the bike & run legs to get the total distances closer to what I'll be doing in the 70.3. I'm not doing the olympic to win so my finish time is not a factor - I just want a good opposed training day.

The only timing mats are in place as you enter/exit transition so no other mats are out on the course, and there are also no aid stations on the bike so I'm not taking stuff from other competitors in that regard.

I kinda did the opposite thing. A race was an OD, I did a 70.3 weeks earlier and cut the bike and run laps short. So bike was 45km and run was 10. Ended up winning the darn thing which was an unexpected (but pleasant) bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either do the Olympic race or do your own session with exactly the distances you want. Don't be an ass and mess around on the Olympic route. There's no reason you can't do the Olympic distance and then continue running (not on the course) afterwards. But don't mess around on the course - that's being a dick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you would cause the volunteers to have to wait for you then absolutely dont do it and it would be a good idea to run it past the race director. If the R.D. is ok with it then when you're on the 2nd loop of the bike find a spot to go off course and tack on the extra mileage and then return at the point you left the course. But really, why are you paying to do the tri if you're wanting to do your own distances?
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would anyone notice?

Definitely a dick move to tell someone what you're doing, but if someone doesn't know, discerns they're on the same lap as you, and is trying to stay with you and sees you go out for the extra lap, that might be confusing for them and kinda dickish of you.

In running races, you'll have dicks telling you some version of "I could run much faster than you slugs, but I'm just doing this as a training run". Or you'll have faster people run their cooldown back up the course and "encourage" the slower runners. Both those types of dicks should be shot.

Your plan seems more pointless than dickish (either race or don't), but it's likely no one would notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If i were you

do the Oly bike as hard as you can ... which is probably 10-15% (20?%) harder than 70.3 pace. Then, run HIM pace for the run. Finish the race, grab some water and then go run another 10k off the course at HIM pace or a bit faster.

The final 10k should be great prep for your 70.3 and you don’t disrespect the course / race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just do the mini like ten times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you just set up a solo training day with the distances you want?

An official event should be respected and raced according to the designated distance...
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
gucc_inferno wrote:
Hey team,

I kinda did the opposite thing. A race was an OD, I did a 70.3 weeks earlier and cut the bike and run laps short. So bike was 45km and run was 10. Ended up winning the darn thing which was an unexpected (but pleasant) bonus.

I can't tell if my reading comprehension is off, you're trolling, or it's sarcasm and I am just missing it.....

You won what? The 70.3 you cut short? Or you mean you used that race as a simulator (DQ'ed officially) then won the Oly you did later? Cause the first one is obviously not cool, but again, I'm not catching the tone here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dick move
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Would anyone notice?

Definitely a dick move to tell someone what you're doing, but if someone doesn't know, discerns they're on the same lap as you, and is trying to stay with you and sees you go out for the extra lap, that might be confusing for them and kinda dickish of you.

In running races, you'll have dicks telling you some version of "I could run much faster than you slugs, but I'm just doing this as a training run". Or you'll have faster people run their cooldown back up the course and "encourage" the slower runners. Both those types of dicks should be shot.

Your plan seems more pointless than dickish (either race or don't), but it's likely no one would notice.

I always liked it when guys would run back up the course and shout encouragement
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Some guy is out there busting his ass and trying to break 3:30 or 4 hours or maybe beat his peers. Being out there dicking around and going 4 hours by choosing your own course strikes me a pretty disrespectful. It would be like Tiger Woods playing in the local club championship left handed.

Or Tiger playing 21 holes and still shooting a lower score. Hell, it'd take Tiger 28 holes to match my 18 hole score...

To OP, if you want to do the race and have a longer day. do a 10 mile bike warmup if you have time before dropping bike in transition. Then cool down with 3-4 miles running after the race jogging along (not on) the course while cheering on those still out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
When you start the "third lap" of your bike, you may have volunteers screaming at you to turn around because there is no way you should be doing one more lap.

It could fuck with the timing if you have an extra bike split and an extra run split

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Or you'll have faster people run their cooldown back up the course and "encourage" the slower runners.

These people are the worst. Somewhat course dependent but it's best to stay off the course if you've finished, if you need to continue exercising, I'm sure there is somewhere else nearby you could get it in without being a distraction (to volunteers, officials and other athletes).

OP - just do the distance you signed up for, doing an extra lap on the bike and/or run is going to have very little to no impact on your 70.3 in 5 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just do a pro move like your adopted countryman Scott Molina. Post under a 1:55 for the Oly course and then go out for a quick hour ride, pick up your winners trophy at the awards ceremony and shake the hand of the last place finisher as they come across the line. Did it at my race. Now that was a total pro move, not like some scheme you come up by confusing the whole event without a purpose.
Or just race as hard as you can and go run a hour after the event. Won't effect the event and probably be a better workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [AirWeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AirWeaver wrote:
zedzded wrote:
gucc_inferno wrote:
Hey team,

I can't tell if my reading comprehension is off, you're trolling, or it's sarcasm and I am just missing it.....

You won what? The 70.3 you cut short? Or you mean you used that race as a simulator (DQ'ed officially) then won the Oly you did later? Cause the first one is obviously not cool, but again, I'm not catching the tone here.

Sorry, stupid thread hence my stupid response! I was attempting to be humorous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:

You failed.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
zedzded wrote:

You failed.

Yup. Forgot this forum is predominated by Americans....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the record I spilt my coffee on this one due to laughing, but I’m Canadian.

zedzded wrote:
PJC wrote:
zedzded wrote:

You failed.

Yup. Forgot this forum is predominated by Americans....
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought is was funny too.
Last edited by: WannaB: Nov 2, 19 6:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next