Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is this a dick move?
Quote | Reply
Hey team,
So I'm training for a 70.3 race which is in 5 weeks time. My plan is to participate in olympic distance tri next weekend as a warm up for the 70.3.
The olympic tri is a multi-lap thing (3 lap swim, 2 lap bike, 3 lap run) and I am giving some consideration to voluntarily tacking on an extra lap each on the bike & run legs to get the total distances closer to what I'll be doing in the 70.3. I'm not doing the olympic to win so my finish time is not a factor - I just want a good opposed training day.

The only timing mats are in place as you enter/exit transition so no other mats are out on the course, and there are also no aid stations on the bike so I'm not taking stuff from other competitors in that regard.

What is the consensus - dick move or would this be OK?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My new blog http://itsaaronfern.tumblr.com/
My old blog http://aaronisanironman.blogspot.com
Both worth a read!
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [gucc_inferno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dick move, run the race/event as designed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask......

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the above. You'll presumably be out there with people much slower than you which you'll be blowing by on the bike. It'll annoy you and other competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More of a douche move than a dick move. Dick move is too strong for this idea.

Abandon the race and train those distances on your own, if that's what you think would benefit you. If you race then do the prescribed distance only.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Bike and/or run after if you feel you need to. But I would think a nice hard Oly race is as good of a 70.3 prep workout as an easier 70.3ish distance slower session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DB move
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. If you don't care about time why does it matter? You're not doing Less of a distance.

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 weeks out there isn't any reason you couldn't use an oly tri as a training day. Especially if you go out the next day and do a long or something like that.

Race the race as-is. The alternative is certainly a dick move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, lame move.

harden up and race... a spicy effort olympic would be a better stimulus than the sloggy longer session you've proposed. just ride long the next day (or later in the day) to hit your weekend bike volume.

For the run? a hard 10k off the bike is probably a good stand in for whatever you would have done anyways, but if you are hellbent on getting those miles in, you can always move those extra run miles to earlier in the week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't bother me. The DB / Dick move part...would be explaining to everyone that you're actually using this as a training day for your 70.3.

That said, seems like a bad plan, as other's have said. A solid effort at the Oly seems like a more appropriate (effective) training stimulus.

Again, don't walk around in the beer tent afterwards telling everyone you are really using this as a training day for your "A-race 70.3". double DB points for doing that from the podium, tripple DB points from BOP.

In other words, shutup and race the race.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 31, 19 14:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gucc_inferno wrote:
Hey team,
So I'm training for a 70.3 race which is in 5 weeks time. My plan is to participate in olympic distance tri next weekend as a warm up for the 70.3.
The olympic tri is a multi-lap thing (3 lap swim, 2 lap bike, 3 lap run) and I am giving some consideration to voluntarily tacking on an extra lap each on the bike & run legs to get the total distances closer to what I'll be doing in the 70.3. I'm not doing the olympic to win so my finish time is not a factor - I just want a good opposed training day.

The only timing mats are in place as you enter/exit transition so no other mats are out on the course, and there are also no aid stations on the bike so I'm not taking stuff from other competitors in that regard.

Plenty of professionals have done this before 70.3 training for Ironman. Just do the event as prescribed then go back out afterwards and do some more bike and running.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There it is. The secret is out. ITU folks dominate the 70.3 distance because they add distances onto OLY distance races.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Agreed. Bike and/or run after if you feel you need to. But I would think a nice hard Oly race is as good of a 70.3 prep workout as an easier 70.3ish distance slower session.

^^^^^This.

Do a warmdown run on course (w/o your number/chip) and cheer on the other competitors.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would just do the race as prescribed, and tack on 5 miles of running immediately after crossing the line. Sounds like a good training day to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the dickish nature of this move.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [Masnart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on my experience, easy 40-60 mile bike ride can't beat hard red zone 20 mile bike ride. I don't have much time, so that's how I train(hard & hast short ride) during week days. When I have time, I go out for a long ride, but I can't tell 20 mile hard ride makes me stronger. Just do Olympic distance and go as hard as you can and why don't do go for the podium?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often take my timing chip off and run an extra lap at 70.3 races as a build for IM races and I don't see that as overly dickish as it really impacts no one and you won't mess up the timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dick Move, Race directors have insurance to deal with, you also run the risk of crashing on that extra lap and ruining someone else race.

Dont do the race and ride at home

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are willing to spend money to do this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gucc_inferno wrote:
Hey team,

When you start the "third lap" of your bike, you may have volunteers screaming at you to turn around because there is no way you should be doing one more lap. Do the math and figure out what time you'll actually be starting the "third lap" in relation to the race time and others still on the course. Depending on how slow the extreme BOP is, you may very well be the last person starting the "last lap" on the bike. Sure, you may eventually catch the BOP athletes on the bike and run, but you also will stick out like a sore thumb and likely cause confusion not just to the other athletes around you, but to the volunteers.

As an example...lets say you plan to swim 35 minutes and bike 1:45 given your "extended distances." You won't start the "third lap" of your bike until 1:45 into the race (35 minute swim and 35 minutes for each of the first 2 laps on the bike). There is no way someone rolling around near 20 mph should be starting their "last lap" of the bike that late in the race. The only people that will be starting their second lap that late in the race are 45 minute swimmers and 2 hour (12.2 mph avg) bikers.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just do the Oly Distance as a good training session. Maybe do some extra running once you have finished if you want an extra 5-10km for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this a dick move? [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Dick Move, Race directors have insurance to deal with, you also run the risk of crashing on that extra lap and ruining someone else race.

Dont do the race and ride at home

My thoughts exactly. The risk of ruining yours and/or someone else's race (and jeopardize your 70.3) because of doing an extra lap is not worth it. You're also purposefully not swimming, biking and running as prescribed by the race organization so it's unethical, immoral and breaks the spirit of competition designed for the race. It's one-hundred percent wrong to do no matter how you try and justify or rationalize it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some guy is out there busting his ass and trying to break 3:30 or 4 hours or maybe beat his peers. Being out there dicking around and going 4 hours by choosing your own course strikes me a pretty disrespectful. It would be like Tiger Woods playing in the local club championship left handed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go do a 3/4ths 70.3 on your own for a training day. And do it again the next day.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next