Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation
Quote | Reply
I am far from a doping sympathizer, but I came across this interesting piece on the ITU page talking with an athlete who was caught after Du Worlds in Pontevedra for an inadvertent doping violation https://www.triathlon.org/...nti_doping_violation

Kudos to her for speaking about it, owning up to the fact that she's responsible for what she consumes. While again, she should be penalized (and one could argue that the shortened penalty might have been a bit too lenient), I think it might take more stories like this for people to smarten up about supplement use... (what do you mean I failed a drug test, I thought the manufacturers of Mega Muscle Protein Performance Enhancer were entirely reputable, and it didn't say low grade beaver tranquilizers on the packaging...)
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to name the manufacturer and drink. I don't see what legal risk she would have for naming it if the ingredient is actually listed on the label, and she's claiming fault.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
It would be nice to name the manufacturer and drink. I don't see what legal risk she would have for naming it if the ingredient is actually listed on the label, and she's claiming fault.

Exactly this. So many of these people test positive, blame a supplement they're taking, and then don't name the supplement. It all rings really fake to me. Might as well blame the contaminated beef...
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
trail wrote:

Exactly this. So many of these people test positive, blame a supplement they're taking, and then don't name the supplement. It all rings really fake to me. Might as well blame the contaminated beef...

Not buying it. You want a pre-workout drink, you drink coffee and water. Anything more and you’re looking for an edge, asking for trouble.

The real question is how this “article” got published in the first place. Who arranged it, did money change hands, etc.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But most (all?) of the supplements that contain an unlisted banned ingredient that leads to an athlete sanction end up on the USADA High Risk List. Assuming the testing was carried out by USADA. Du Worlds and other international races probably don't lead to supplement inclusion in the list unless someone at USADA has some spare time on their hands.
https://www.supplement411.org/hrl/
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me know when someone gets busted and doesn't claim it was from a contaminated supplement. There is no reason not to play that card, seems to get just about everyone a reduced suspension.

Like someone else said, if you're taking pills and powders and looking to get a gain in performance/recovery, you're taking a huge risk.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are supplements and there are SUPPLEMENTS. I don't think anyone is in any serious danger of getting popped for taking a quality multi-vitamin or supplements that are limited to a specific ingredient that are well known (COQ10, L-Arginine, Vitamin E, etc.) But she was busted for Higenamine which was listed as "Nelumbo Nucifera Seed Extract" on her "pre workout sports drink". So I googled "what pre-workout drink includes nelumbo nucifera seed extract" and what came up was a plethora of the crap that looks like body builders would be highly interested in ... for example: Beast Sports Nutrition, Shatter SX-7, Jacked in a Box, Surge Pre-Workout, etc., etc., etc. These are an entirely different level of supplements that should raise eyebrows by anyone subject to possible testing. And she was most likely tested because of her winning AG performance.

So yeah, I don't have any sympathy for her, but at the same time, I can't agree with any across-the-board slam on supplements when there are good reasons for taking certain supplements that have no performance gains. As just one example, anyone who is a long term endurance athlete should read the book on the Haywire Heart and strongly consider the recommended supplements to help prevent heart arrhythmia. Just stay away from the body-building aisles when you visit your local vitamin store.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She would need to get the supplement independently tested and then sue the manufacturer for restitution. Otherwise naming the supplement is just slander.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Jacked in a Box" is the best bodybuilding supplement name ever.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
She would need to get the supplement independently tested and then sue the manufacturer for restitution. Otherwise naming the supplement is just slander.

I'm not a lawyer, but at least in the US, I do not believe this is true. For it to be slander, she would have to know or believe that the supplement was not the source of her positive test. Just her sincere belief that the supplement is the reason for the positive test is enough for it not to be slander.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Why is it slander? It's not a contaminated supplement issue. It's right there on the label. And it's perfectly legal, only banned if you're competing under the WADA umbrella. Slander means you say something false. According to her statements she could name the pre-workout drink with Nelumbo nucifera on the label and not say anything false about it. It'd be a good public service in case it's a popular pre-workout drink in some circles among people who are tested.

SaltStick has sodium in it. That's not a slanderous statement by me.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 19, 19 10:17
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Proving Slander or Libel in court is extremely difficult. Just like also proving something is frivolous in court is extremely difficult. But every time an athlete claims they popped because of a supplement, what I want to see are lab results and then a suit for restitution. That's just me though.

trail wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Why is it slander? It's not a contaminated supplement issue. It's right there on the label. And it's perfectly legal, only banned if you're competing under the WADA umbrella. Slander means you say something false. According to her statements she could name the pre-workout drink with Nelumbo nucifera on the label and not say anything false about it. It'd be a good public service in case it's a popular pre-workout drink in some circles among people who are tested.

SaltStick has sodium in it. That's not a slanderous statement by me.

Ah...then that just makes her the idiot. It's pretty simple to go onto the informed choice/sport website and see what has passed certification.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 19, 19 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first sentence is:

the majority of triathletes, takes supplements to assist with recovery, immune system and energy levels before and during training.

unless we count sports drinks and gels as supplements, which i suppose is valid, but not the kind of supplement at issue here, do we know this statement is true?

I think it's weird for the ITU to publish this kind of biased reputation burnishing on their website. It's definitely not just a factual reporting of the situation.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a PR fluff piece.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
The first sentence is:

the majority of triathletes, takes supplements to assist with recovery, immune system and energy levels before and during training.

unless we count sports drinks and gels as supplements, which i suppose is valid, but not the kind of supplement at issue here, do we know this statement is true?

I think it's weird for the ITU to publish this kind of biased reputation burnishing on their website. It's definitely not just a factual reporting of the situation.

it seems like this is exactly the kind of supplement at issue here. According to the article, she tested positive due to an ingredient in a pre-workout sports drink that was apparently listed on the label as a different name than is on the bottle. A lot of athletes use pre-workout drinks. It's right there in the description of what they are for, pre-workout.

So it seems that she was aware of the WADA list, she tried to cover her bases but still ran afoul of the regulations, and has accepted the outcome. The article is about damage control to her reputation (look how long the DOPER!!!!! - SHE'S A DOPER!! label sticks to people) and also making people aware that sometimes the ingredients can be labelled as different things. I'm not seeing too much to get outraged over here.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 19, 19 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I bet she doesn't name it because saying she naively took "Jacked in the Box" wouldn't exactly look good.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
trail wrote:

I bet she doesn't name it because saying she naively took "Jacked in the Box" wouldn't exactly look good.

Yeah, I checked the USADA 411 high-risk list for candidates added in 2019. Given she's Australian I was really hoping it was one recently added called "Koala Freak" . But Koala Freak directly lists higenamine instead of using the plant name like she claims.

But I'm having a hard time envisioning a koala in a rage. They seem pretty chill. Now "'Roo Rage" I could understand. A kangaroo will absolutely mess you up in a hurry.

But "Freak" is one of those magic words, like "Rage" or "Slaughter." If your supplement has one of those words, stop taking it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you haven't heard of drop bears have you

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Proving Slander or Libel in court is extremely difficult.

I hear ya, but you would spend $100k and 2 years of your life defending yourself to try to convince 12 strangers who are often remarkably clueless and knee-jerky you are right and hope they agree. Still want to make that public statement??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my pre-workout drink:

Optimum Nutrition (GMP and NSF certified)

ON Essential Amino Energy with a scoop of ON Beta-Alanine

Amino acid blend
caffeine
green tea extract
green coffee extract

malic acid
citric acid
silicon dioxide
calcium silicate
cellulose gum
xanthan gum
carrageenan
caffeine again
sucralose
soy lecithin
beet color
yellow # 5

Phosphorous
Magnesium
Sodium
Potassium
Beta-alanine
L-histidine

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

I'm not a lawyer, but at least in the US, I do not believe this is true. For it to be slander, she would have to know or believe that the supplement was not the source of her positive test. Just her sincere belief that the supplement is the reason for the positive test is enough for it not to be slander.

She could still be hit with a SLAPP suit, in which case, even if it isn't slander, she would need to shell out money (and possibly a lot of it) to defend herself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
The first sentence is:

I would argue that recovery drinks and protein powders count as supplements, which I'm guessing the majority of serious triathletes use.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also seen that the bigger brands who make these Bodybuiding type supplements, there is a warning that you may fail a doping test.
I've had plenty of Cellucor supps that said that very thing years back when I was buying them

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Why would she need to get it tested ? This case has nothing to do with a laced supplement, the banned substance was explicitly in the product, but under a different name that isn’t listed as banned.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Nov 19, 19 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Article - Interview with an age grouper caught for an inadvertant doping violation [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically this is why most pro athletes don't take these pre workout, super energy type supplements. Too much risk. Basic is better, read the labels, if you actually don't know the ingredient then don't take it. Basic whey proteins, simple electrolyte drinks and energy gels without all the frills are pretty much all that's needed on top of food. If they are independently 3rd party tested the chances of a positive are very slim. Anything else is a risk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next