Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but....
Quote | Reply
This is depressing. Most Zwift ads don't show folks indoors on a nice day. It's just clear they're indoors. This though..........outdoors on a patio on a lovely day in a seemingly lovely place.

Advert right here on ST.

Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in the city in Japan. Even on a nice day, there is nowhere I could possibly ride outside that will provide me with a consistent, structured workout. The traffic lights here are designed to stop cars at damn near every one. Indoor training is a blessing.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
with the amount of cars on the road (and the mentalities of their drivers) it is less and less enjoyable and safe to ride outside. sorry, but trainer riding is the best workout you can get and having a beautiful patio to sit and enjoy the day makes it even nicer.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do this all the time. Some of us have kids to keep tabs on.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been "punish passed" and buzzed by cars on dead empty open country roads for no reason other than the enjoyment of the maniac driver. I'll stick to my trainer and Zwift riding for all but a very select few workouts, thank you very much.

I've been riding on the road since my competitive road racing days as a junior some 25 years ago, and I can say categorically that drivers are far less patient or courteous now than then.

So much so that I'm avoiding getting my kid a road bike and steering him to mountain biking on trails away from the cars and roads.

But obviously, to each their own...but for me, I'll take Zwift and a smart trainer over dealing with the possibility of ending up in the ditch (or worse) for the sake of an hour ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to some lovely places in the Dominican or Mexico that are just stunning. I've stayed in places like this, with a view to die for. And in some of those places there's a 0% chance I would ever ride there as I value my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much my only outdoor rides these days (last outdoor ride was Kona and next will probably be close to a race in June) are stupid early in the morning with a bunch of lights to see and be seen. I often see more deer in a ride from 3-6 am than cars! With a family and knowing how distracted many drivers are it just isn't worth it for me to be outside very much.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here we go. again.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See, to me, I'd just quit the game altogether and end up only running or rowing or speed skating or something. Something where I get a fitness challenge but still can 100% enjoy the sport.

The best parts of the bike have been destroyed at that point. You do workouts inside or on a patio and only race once a year outdoors? Then during a race you're probably more focused on position, nutrition, the rules about drafting than you are enjoying a ride outdoors. May as well do indoor triathlon too.

There's aquathon with swim/run. Why not do that? I get living in big cities, but, pay to play yo. Choose to live somewhere like that and there's give and take. You get the economy and the night life, but good luck ever riding.

I enjoy Zwift these days on rainy days or really cold or inconvenient days. But our weeknight worlds crew has still been meeting on the dry cold nights out of the brewery.

I just can't believe that the advertising has caught up to the trend. It's really depressing the market is so large for that now that it's a common thing. I can get Peloton ads as it's the busy professional looking for a workout, not an aspiring amateur triathlon racer or bike racer.

I can't blame folks for the decisions, that's perfectly fine. Can't fault ya unless you choose to live in NYC and takeup an outdoor hobby. Otherwise, it's just plain depressing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The picture looks pretty photoshopped to me. The shadows on the front tripod look off...

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:
I've been "punish passed" and buzzed by cars on dead empty open country roads for no reason other than the enjoyment of the maniac driver. I'll stick to my trainer and Zwift riding for all but a very select few workouts, thank you very much.

To be fair, the OP didn't say it was a bad choice, he said it was depressing. And you seem to corroborate that.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Kickr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kickr wrote:

I've been riding on the road since my competitive road racing days as a junior some 25 years ago, and I can say categorically that drivers are far less patient or courteous now than then.

So much so that I'm avoiding getting my kid a road bike and steering him to mountain biking on trails away from the cars and roads.

But obviously, to each their own...but for me, I'll take Zwift and a smart trainer over dealing with the possibility of ending up in the ditch (or worse) for the sake of an hour ride.

Yes, to each their own, but if we all decide to stop riding on the roads, don't you think there's a real possibility that cyclists will eventually lose their current rights to ride on the roads and/or laws will change requiring that roads be closed for cycling events, which will certainly limit the number of races that use roads?

As to the ad in question, if I have to pedal in a stationary position, as long as it's above 50 degrees outside I'd prefer riding stationary outside instead of inside looking at a screen.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 13, 19 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Yes, to each their own, but if we all decide to stop riding on the roads, don't you think there's a real possibility that cyclists will eventually lose their current rights to ride on the roads and/or laws will change requiring that roads be closed for cycling events, which will certainly limit the number of races that use roads?

As to the ad in question, if I have to pedal in a stationary position, as long as it's above 50 degrees outside I'd prefer riding stationary outside instead of inside looking at a screen.

Somehow, I managed to survive about 4,000 road miles this year here in Death Race New Jersey. I only ride indoors so I can more enjoy riding outdoors.

Every cyclist who decides to forego riding on roads threatens the rights and safety of those of us who choose to ride on roads. Thanks!

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But our weeknight worlds crew has still been meeting on the dry cold nights out of the brewery.

--------

I was shocked the route that Raleigh Brewing Company takes during rush hour traffic ride time on some of the busiest roads in Raleigh....Chapel Hill Road / Blue Ridge / Lake Boone Trail....atleast on the one time I rode that ride but I bailed onto the greenway to get back fairly quickly after realizing the route they were taking. Was kinda scratching my head why they ride the roads they do, but each their own. That can be as silly imo. But I guess they'll say they "legally" have the right to ride those roads as cars do. And I wont disagree, but my take is "just because you can, doesn't mean you always should".

ETA: I'll stick to PNC Arena during the winter months (and year round) and in the spring/summer months go on shop rides that get more "outside" the city than apparently these brewery rides do. To each their own.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 13, 19 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Actually, even sub-freezing is better than inside. I HATE the hamster wheel. But, when the weather turns to shit...35F / rain...or below freezing...I'll put the trainer on the front porch. I ride with bike shorts, and ski gloves. Usually, I'll warmup with a long sleeve jersey. Once I get into a 2x20 or whatever...the jersey comes off.

Might be an interesting sight...50 year old dude, riding a TT bike, on a trainer, in bike shorts with ski gloves, no top, and a heart strap, with neoprene booties. Maybe I should put on my helmet. :-)
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 13, 19 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

Actually, even sub-freezing is better than inside. I HATE the hamster wheel. But, when the weather turns to shit...35F / rain...or below freezing...I'll put the trainer on the front porch. I ride with bike shorts, and ski gloves. Usually, I'll warmup with a long sleeve jersey. Once I get into a 2x20 or whatever...the jersey comes off.

Might be an interesting sight...50 year old dude, riding a TT bike, on a trainer, in bike shorts with ski gloves, no top, and a heart strap, with neoprene booties. Maybe I should put on my helmet. :-)

Excellent! I've considered riding on the porch many times but am too worried about what the neighbors will think. Thanks for the inspiration!
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
here we go. again.

My thought exactly. Another 10 pages of people that don't understand why I ride bikes telling me how great indoor riding is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still better than the Peleton ads

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was going to be about Rapha's new indoor cycling collection.

https://www.rapha.cc/...gory/indoor-training
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I thought it was going to be 10 pages of you purists telling the zwifters they aren't really riding their bikes, blah blah blah.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
here we go. again.

My thought exactly. Another 10 pages of people that don't understand why I ride bikes telling me how great indoor riding is.

This thing that I do, this thing is awesome. That thing that you do - that thing sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have kids that I like to keep an eye on while they play outside with their friends. I'm not above putting my trainer on the deck and riding while. I don't do this all the time but it's better than not riding at all.
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Every cyclist who decides to forego riding on roads threatens the rights and safety of those of us who choose to ride on roads. Thanks!"

Ok so if I get killed riding on the roads who will be paying my wife my lost income if I am no longer there to work? Oh right no one. So I will continue to choose to ride where I feel most safe. Sorry I am selfish with my safety and my life...

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: I knew riding indoors had gotten extreme/silly....but.... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Thom wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
here we go. again.

This thing that I do, this thing is awesome. That thing that you do - that thing sucks.

you just summed up the internet. Well done. Take the rest of the day off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
This is depressing. Most Zwift ads don't show folks indoors on a nice day. It's just clear they're indoors. This though..........outdoors on a patio on a lovely day in a seemingly lovely place.

Advert right here on ST.

[/quote\]

I don't find this silly at all - provided the nearby roads are not cyclist friendly, which is actually the case in many of these resort-beachy places.

You want to try riding your bike for 3 hours in some of the resort roads around Cancun? Good luck with that.

I haven't gotten myself to the point where I'd need something like that given the ability to bike/run or use gym bikes, but I could absolutely see diehard or elite/pro cyclists and triathletes wanting something like this for travel and vacation situations where the bike roads are not amenable to training.

If however, the roads are ample, wide, and safe, sure, it would be silly - but I think it's even sillier to make assumptions that ANY cyclist/triathlete would opt to ride on the porch if that were the case (unless you have kids to watch, etc extenuating circumstances.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next