Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
kman74 wrote:

Here is my take...I want them called out because I find the recreational use of IV's completely egregious. There is a national SHORTAGE OF IV'S where at hospitals they are sharing bags between patients or to a far lesser important venue LEGITIMATE IM races where people have dedicated a crap load of time to and come in damn near dying who won't be given them possibly. Pro's included. don't believe me? go ask the doctors at Galveston about the $hit fit Andy Potts threw because the doctors wouldn't give him an IV after the race. literally, threw a fit. So why on God's green earth is it acceptable for these a$$ hats to be out there doing this? seriously. there is a national shortage. Better yet, find the doctor or nurse who procured these and suspend their license. This is when I find the whole "oh wow he is doing this for a great cause" crap completely ridiculous. It is completely self serving.

seriously? i'm calling bullshit. i can walk into a GROCERY store and buy a bag of IV solution here. what hell hole 3rd world country do you live in?
how much you care to wager? You cannot walk into a drug store in the United States and buy an IV. Want me to give you the phone number of the doctors that run most of the ironman and hospitals here? Have your pick. Wanna call bullshit? Feel free. You don't know what you're talking about.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i assumed you had to be in a 3rd world country as you absolutely CAN walk into any grocery store in a large-city area in my country and buy a NS IV with no problem whatsoever. if this is such a dire situation all over the USA, maybe you guys should make a run for the border.

seriously? All over the entire USA there is a shortage of NS? i find that incredibly hard to believe when i can hit up a grocery store within 5 km (and it is the only grocery store for 15km to the south or 40 km to the north) and buy one OTC. seriously i still cannot believe this. not calling you a liar but dayum i find that incomprehensible considering how such NOT a problem it is to get it here.

that said, how do you know the IC didn't make a run for the border and stock up on IVs there if you guys have such an incredible (still cannot believe) shortage up there?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jul 18, 15 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look I find it just as bizarre as you do. Who the hell knows why they can't mix up simple saline solution but it is like that. When I lived in the Middle East I could walk into a pharmacy and get pretty much any drug known to man outside of pain killers. I don't know if he got his from overseas. You are correct. I do know though that there is a shortage and you can't just get an IV after a race. You pretty much have to be dying. As for at the hospitals it's the same. They are using every last drop and if half a bag is left they will share. Crazy but it's true.

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
kman74 wrote:

Here is my take...I want them called out because I find the recreational use of IV's completely egregious. There is a national SHORTAGE OF IV'S where at hospitals they are sharing bags between patients or to a far lesser important venue LEGITIMATE IM races where people have dedicated a crap load of time to and come in damn near dying who won't be given them possibly. Pro's included. don't believe me? go ask the doctors at Galveston about the $hit fit Andy Potts threw because the doctors wouldn't give him an IV after the race. literally, threw a fit. So why on God's green earth is it acceptable for these a$$ hats to be out there doing this? seriously. there is a national shortage. Better yet, find the doctor or nurse who procured these and suspend their license. This is when I find the whole "oh wow he is doing this for a great cause" crap completely ridiculous. It is completely self serving.

seriously? i'm calling bullshit. i can walk into a GROCERY store and buy a bag of IV solution here. what hell hole 3rd world country do you live in?

LOL Kathy can't you walk into a supermarket and buy Percocet down there??

Seriously I've no.idea of the accuracy of this saline solution shortage, I'd sure like to.see a link to a competent reference. Having just spent a week in the hospital following a bad bike crash (7 broken ribs, punctured long, broken clavicle) I had oodles of saline bags out into me (and don't feel bad at all :) ) '..also don't feel bad about storing my contacts in saline last night. ;)

I will retract this statement of doubt on proof of it but I am calling bs ETA on Google search does result.in articles about a shortage, which I find utterly.hard to fathom. It's salt water. I'd no clue how they can't make enough. But hey, I got mine. :) I don't think 1 or.2'bags here made a difference as to whether a hospital for enough tho

ETA 2 to add if you object to ic recreational use of Iv, you can't honestly.not object to a pro's use of iv if hospital patients aren't getting it

Besides, hasn't it been established these aren't "races" subject to Any rules

Sorry I'd edit but shit hurts too bad
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 18, 15 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, no. not percocet. see that's teh rub. you can get steroids up the wazoo (important to we with asthma) and abx (but now wtih a script needed usually) and lots of other juicy stuff but when it comes to pain control that shit is Locked Down.

my son had his chest cracked open and had been hospitalized for 3 weeks. the CT Surgery surgeon and his pulmonolgist would write him for Nubain (he had rashes with all the lacs (keterolac, diclofenac, etc) and other stuff they tried and morphine did not touch the pain. i don't think they even had the option of dilaudid. so he sat in the ICU in lots of pain until he was brought back to the floor and i demanded the Nubain PRN (ended up about q.4 to 6). all the interns were so worried he'd get hooked. finally we patched him with a variety of drugs because the daily rounding docs kept changing his pain meds to tyenol. it was a nightmare controlling his pain. course this was a government hospital. if we had gone private he would have had excellent (though still very controlled) pain control. regardless, you will never walk out of a doctors office legally with a prescription harder than keterolac or tramadol or toradol. that's about it.

but yeah, i'm going to go grocery shopping later and i'm going to buy a liter of NS to bring with me on our trip to the USA just in case someone gets hospitalized.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jul 18, 15 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've come a long way baby! Me calling this a gimmick back on page 14 seems so distant and trivial now. And it continues to stroll further down gimmicklane with every passing day.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone notice that his HITS result has been pulled from the official results? I find it interesting that it wasn't pulled for a couple days after the race..... And only after he was called out for not doing the race course.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Anyone notice that his HITS result has been pulled from the official results? I find it interesting that it wasn't pulled for a couple days after the race..... And only after he was called out for not doing the race course.

Looks like the prelude for him claiming he was not really in the race, he just (mostly) followed the course at the same time. That way USADA won't ding him for doping. It matches the rest of the slimy manipulation we have seen.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Jul 18, 15 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound like the kind of guy who calls the HOA when your neighbors don't mow their lawn or calls the cops when some kids are running an un licensed lemon aid stand down the street.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or calling the authorities for an illegal IM lottery. You really are saying the rules, laws mean nothing when you do not like the impact?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love laughing at the Facebook posts. Like today in WI. How it was so windy and even the stronger riders were done in by the headwinds. And the IC was riding stronger than even the strongest riders. Dude averaged 143W. Maybe that speaks more to the people who show up to join him though.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
I love laughing at the Facebook posts. Like today in WI. How it was so windy and even the stronger riders were done in by the headwinds. And the IC was riding stronger than even the strongest riders. Dude averaged 143W. Maybe that speaks more to the people who show up to join him though.

Wasn't in WI today. It was Iowa.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
tucktri wrote:

Wasn't in WI today. It was Iowa.

Right, sorry I checked the blog and didn't look closely enough at the state. Regardless, lets see what his AP is when it is posted for today in Iowa.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:

I saw that post too. Gave me a nice chuckle.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cidewar wrote:
You sound like the kind of guy who calls the HOA when your neighbors don't mow their lawn or calls the cops when some kids are running an un licensed lemon aid stand down the street.

I haven't called anyone, thanks though!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Or calling the authorities for an illegal IM lottery. You really are saying the rules, laws mean nothing when you do not like the impact?
All laws have interpretation. Intention and impact are key elements in all aspects of life. Wasting resources on someone like IC is pretty pointless. There is way too much work to be done at the elite level, we shouldn't be wasting valuable anti doping resources on meaningless things like this.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
tucktri wrote:

Hey guys....just to take a step back for a second, and I am the first to call him on mis representation, but at the same time, I just thought I would share with you guys when this guy is fresh he is a legit strong cyclist who would blow the doors off most of the posters here. He split 5:41 last year at IM Canada in Whistler, a course with 2200m of climbing. Heck most of us, doing one IM every weekend would not be able to hold 143W by the 40th weekend and this guy is holding those watts day over day. On another thread, Murphy's Law was joking about hauling me around the IMLP course in training a few weeks after IM Texas. I could barely hold 165W that day and it was 2 weeks after an IM. I COULD probably do a full 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike the day after an IM, but there would be no run, and I doubt I would even average 120W.

As I have said numerous times his indiscretions in terms of mis representing a few things along the way I'll call him on but it simply does not take away from how unfathomable this feat of endurance/persistence/logistics is. 143W is actually pretty studly. I challenge anyone to get out of their condo the day after an IM finish, swim 2.4 miles and report back what wattage they hold without having to do a run.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 19, 15 16:02
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Today is day 43 of the IronCowboy's 50 day journey. It looks like barring some unforeseen tragedy that he will finish this odyssey still standing. I think we as a community can continue to find fault, or better, say that we've had some pretty indepth discussions on what each of us feels may be a deviation from a typical single day Iron distance race then put these discussions to rest. Whatever I may personally feel about each of the issues brought up, understanding that some us feel quite passionately about some aspects of his 50 days, none can deny that it's one hell of a feat that few if any of us could duplicate.

So my position will be positive, one of support and appreciation of a terrific athletic event. I don't particularly care if it is/isn't a "world record." That would be for others to judge if they so choose. I would ask that we put away the sabres, follow James Lawrence in his swimming, biking and running in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and beyond, and if we see him on the street one day, shake his hand and say, "You are an Ironman."

John "
------------------------------------------------
Best summary of the whole thread and extravaganza!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David - thanks, I appreciate the support. This thing is almost over. I just think it's time to take the high road regardless of our personal concerns. Maybe not everyone's hat, but my hat is off to the IronCowboy. And, every bit as much to Mrs. IronCowboy and the little IC-ites. They've certainly had a summer to remember.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
stevej wrote:
tucktri wrote:

Hey guys....just to take a step back for a second, and I am the first to call him on mis representation, but at the same time, I just thought I would share with you guys when this guy is fresh he is a legit strong cyclist who would blow the doors off most of the posters here. He split 5:41 last year at IM Canada in Whistler, a course with 2200m of climbing. Heck most of us, doing one IM every weekend would not be able to hold 143W by the 40th weekend and this guy is holding those watts day over day. On another thread, Murphy's Law was joking about hauling me around the IMLP course in training a few weeks after IM Texas. I could barely hold 165W that day and it was 2 weeks after an IM. I COULD probably do a full 2.4 mile swim and 112 mile bike the day after an IM, but there would be no run, and I doubt I would even average 120W.

As I have said numerous times his indiscretions in terms of mis representing a few things along the way I'll call him on but it simply does not take away from how unfathomable this feat of endurance/persistence/logistics is. 143W is actually pretty studly. I challenge anyone to get out of their condo the day after an IM finish, swim 2.4 miles and report back what wattage they hold without having to do a run.

Dev,
It's not a knock on his athleticism, at least not from me. It's more the sensationalism of the social media posts. Acting like he's killing while riding at .50 IF in a draft pack.
He's a beast for sure. Well he should be given he is basically a full time athlete. So lets put that into perspective as well. It isn't and apples to apples comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:
There is a national SHORTAGE OF IV'S where at hospitals they are sharing bags between patients or to a far lesser important venue LEGITIMATE IM races where people have dedicated a crap load of time to and come in damn near dying who won't be given them possibly.

I completely forgot about this...I know that we had to figure out something else to use, and we are trying to develop life saving clinical diagnostics! We were able to do it, but it would have made it MUCH easier to have some IV bags...Of note, it is not the contents of the IV bags, but the bags themselves.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
Yes, they should clearly listen to your rants. How do you even know they're using saline solution?

Im afraid that you do not know what you are talking about. The shortage is with the IV bags; not the contents.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
stevej wrote:
tucktri wrote:

Dev,
It's not a knock on his athleticism, at least not from me. It's more the sensationalism of the social media posts. Acting like he's killing while riding at .50 IF in a draft pack.
He's a beast for sure. Well he should be given he is basically a full time athlete. So lets put that into perspective as well. It isn't and apples to apples comparison.

Most of the sensationalism of the social media posts falls into the camp of over representation/ misrepresentation that I mentioned earlier. The supporters seems feel that those calling the IC camp out on that are haters, but it's just calling a spade a spade, while respecting his athleticism....we're generally on the same page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:

Kathy,
You DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. Sorry for raising my voice, but I wanted to make sure that you heard. Go ahead and try to buy some. Go ahead and do it. You will have a VERY difficult time. I develop technology which is used for next generation molecular diagnostics, and I can tell you that when I was trying to find IV bags for a certain west african outbreak just a couple months ago, I found out it was exceedingly difficult due to a shortage. Im sorry, but you are incorrect on this point.

Stephen J

Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
kman74 wrote:
There is a national SHORTAGE OF IV'S where at hospitals they are sharing bags between patients or to a far lesser important venue LEGITIMATE IM races where people have dedicated a crap load of time to and come in damn near dying who won't be given them possibly.

I completely forgot about this...I know that we had to figure out something else to use, and we are trying to develop life saving clinical diagnostics! We were able to do it, but it would have made it MUCH easier to have some IV bags...Of note, it is not the contents of the IV bags, but the bags themselves.

Stephen J

That's crazy! Good job on your work. I knew there was a shortage but not what part. Thanks for the clarification.

Kirk

Kirk Noyes

Quote Reply

Prev Next