Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's not that impressive that this guy is doing 12-17 hours of exercise a day in 50 consecutive days in 50 different states. Looks like a marketing ploy to get more gigs for motivational speaking and promote products to the mindless follower drones that cannot see things for what they really are. These are the same people that believe anything someone tells them regardless if the evidence supports it. They say, there are suckers for everything, just look at the as seen on TV stuff. But no matter what evidence we discuss, you can't change stupid. Enjoy your "ignorance is bliss" while smarter folks "keep it real."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jlocout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent work reducing the opinions to two camps of people and then essentially calling it the enlightened vs the ignorant. /pink That's exactly the approach a smart person would take. /pink

Jlocout wrote:
I think it's not that impressive that this guy is doing 12-17 hours of exercise a day in 50 consecutive days in 50 different states. Looks like a marketing ploy to get more gigs for motivational speaking and promote products to the mindless follower drones that cannot see things for what they really are. These are the same people that believe anything someone tells them regardless if the evidence supports it. They say, there are suckers for everything, just look at the as seen on TV stuff. But no matter what evidence we discuss, you can't change stupid. Enjoy your "ignorance is bliss" while smarter folks "keep it real."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jlocout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jlocout wrote:

Almost everything meant to be consumed by the public is a marketing ploy to try and sell crap. It's obvious that they've thought at least a little about branding, as the Ironcowboy logo is actually fairly slick-looking. That said, it is entirely possible to keep the "it's a marketing ploy" and "it's pretty damn impressive" thoughts in your brain at the same time.

Felix Baumgartner jumping from space was a marketing ploy to sell sugared caffeine drinks. It was still really cool.
Solar Impulse trying to fly around the world without the aircraft burning a drop of gasoline is a marketing ploy to sell batteries and solar panels. It is still really cool.
Every single rider in the TdF is trying to sell bikes, gear, or accessories. It's still cool.
The European Space Agency actually has as one of its missions to publicize european technology and researchers (which is why many of their press releases make sure to mention who made the hardware). It doesn't make the Rosetta mission any less cool.

If you go through life thinking that something being a marketing ploy means it can't be impressive or if someone stands to benefit from something that you can't be impressed, that's a very cynical life.

I'd argue that IC could have been an _amazing_ marketing vehicle (much better than they have been), and that's a bit of a missed opportunity on their part. They could've been highlighting what he's using to recover, what he's eating, what saddle he's using, who set his bike up, etc. The ability to be on a bike 6-7 hours a day, day after day, indicates that they have an extremely comfortable setup, and I would very much like to buy whatever products they're using to keep him on the saddle.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jul 22, 15 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jlocout wrote:

Why is it not that impressive to you? Do you average 15hrs a day of running/biking/swimming? His motives are secondary to the physical feat. You can agree or disagree with why he is doing it, but he is still doing the physical activity every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jlocout wrote:

I no longer want to grow up and be an astronaut. The coolest gig in the whole wide world must be "Jlocout"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jlocout wrote:

Honest question for you and the other haters, why do you care? You're here 63 pages deep into a thread on the subject trying to convince people that what he is doing isn't a big deal. I could understand indifference if you aren't impressed, but I'm having a hard time understanding the hate.

If I didn't think what he is doing was impressive, I would ignore it. Why does it bother some that others are impressed by what he's doing?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said, excellent points, completely agree....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude-I think you're way off the mark here....

In my first career as a dancer, I worked out 40+ hours/week for years. Having had literally hundreds of 8hrs+ exercise days in a row, I'm damn impressed at what he's doing, PR and marketing ploys be damned....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jlocout wrote:

You've convinced me!!
Nothing at all impressive about what he's doing.
You've certainly done things equally or more impressive.
Name one.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
Jlocout wrote:

Almost everything meant to be consumed by the public is a marketing ploy to try and sell crap. It's obvious that they've thought at least a little about branding, as the Ironcowboy logo is actually fairly slick-looking. That said, it is entirely possible to keep the "it's a marketing ploy" and "it's pretty damn impressive" thoughts in your brain at the same time.

Felix Baumgartner jumping from space was a marketing ploy to sell sugared caffeine drinks. It was still really cool.
Solar Impulse trying to fly around the world without the aircraft burning a drop of gasoline is a marketing ploy to sell batteries and solar panels. It is still really cool.
Every single rider in the TdF is trying to sell bikes, gear, or accessories. It's still cool.
The European Space Agency actually has as one of its missions to publicize european technology and researchers (which is why many of their press releases make sure to mention who made the hardware). It doesn't make the Rosetta mission any less cool.

If you go through life thinking that something being a marketing ploy means it can't be impressive or if someone stands to benefit from something that you can't be impressed, that's a very cynical life.

I'd argue that IC could have been an _amazing_ marketing vehicle (much better than they have been), and that's a bit of a missed opportunity on their part. They could've been highlighting what he's using to recover, what he's eating, what saddle he's using, who set his bike up, etc. The ability to be on a bike 6-7 hours a day, day after day, indicates that they have an extremely comfortable setup, and I would very much like to buy whatever products they're using to keep him on the saddle.

Don't confuse the motives with the means. The motives for space exploration, flying around the world on solar power or doing 50/50/50 are very likely if not certainly not related to marketing of some product or self-promotion. Don't forget about the passion of the people at the heart of these efforts. However, the only way to finance these endeavors is through marketing, whether it be sports drink or batteries.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's assume for the moment that his motive was 100% to promote himself, his brand and roll in money based upon it, while also raising awareness for the cause he cited. Whats wrong with that? Isn't that what the vast majority of athletes do (and for that matters, every person who works anywhere??)--i.e., they work to promote themselves, their brand, and earn money along the way.

I don't know anything about his guy's true motivations--and netierh does anyone else here-- but after following this story somewhat from a distance I came to only two conclusions: (1) he hasn't done 50 IMs in 50 states in 50 days; and (2) notwithstanding #1, the athletic feat he appears about to accomplish is baddass and really impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to eat 50 Chipotle burritos in 50 days to raise awareness of what retards triathletes are.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this will only be effective if you do so in 50 different states.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone has already eaten at Chipotle for over 100 days straight...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/20/man-ate-chipotle-every-day-for-101-days-gained-14-poundsand-hes-still-going/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
I am going to eat 50 Chipotle burritos in 50 days to raise awareness of what retards triathletes are.

Where do I donate? Hell, you don't even need to be honest about your fundraising. We are talking burritos.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not think there are many people on here that do not think what he is doing is physically/mentally extremely impressive. There was a lot of consternation when he was accepting donations himself while saying they were going to Jaime Oliver. He's fixed that but no one knows what happened to the donations prior to the fix, which only happened after the Jaime Oliver Foundation was alerted to the situation. The big continuing issue is that he is claiming numerous world records for consecutive ironman's when he clearly has not completed them by any objective measure while the people who set those records stuck to rigorous rules and really did it.

If it were not for those things I think most people on this thread would be very pro ironcowboy.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh. 63 pages of piss and vinegar would say otherwise. I had no idea about the donation controversy and yet I still do not give a shit. But I am only a sample size of 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I do not think there are many people on here that do not think what he is doing is physically/mentally extremely impressive. There was a lot of consternation when he was accepting donations himself while saying they were going to Jaime Oliver. He's fixed that but no one knows what happened to the donations prior to the fix, which only happened after the Jaime Oliver Foundation was alerted to the situation. The big continuing issue is that he is claiming numerous world records for consecutive ironman's when he clearly has not completed them by any objective measure while the people who set those records stuck to rigorous rules and really did it.

If it were not for those things I think most people on this thread would be very pro ironcowboy.

HI Ed. I think if those two items were cleared, pretty well 100% of the posters on here would be pro Ironcowboy. I said that I would personally prefer to give my money to him directly for his 50 state gig rather than have the money go to fight childhood obesity....I have spent 15 years of my life coaching youth, so I figure I have done enough to fight childhood obesity already that I don't need to give him money for that. I'm quite glad to give him a few $$$ for this xyz of exercise in 50 states 50 days in a row....what's wrong with supporting someone to just do sport...we already do it indirectly when we give our money to WTC and WTC gives some of it to pros. I think it is really cool and the guy is hard beyond belief .....he's doing a normal week of training plus commuting all packed into a day getting half the sleep of most poeple.

I'll still call out his claims on world records, only because he is doing xyz vs actual IM's and misrepresentation is not cool. I think we can all agree that the xyz exercise he is doing comes very close to on most days, or actually hits the requirements of what is generally accepted as a standard IM. He's going to get a lot of support for xyz...but when he claims IM's then he needs to be a bit more squeeky clean if he does not want critics (he does not seem to care about that though).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall the IC is specifically NOT claiming any world records for this adventure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracking, web cams and live short interviews. Bang! Can you imagine this....the weatherman on the morning news cuts out for 30 seconds to talk to Iron Cowboy who is on mile 54 of the bike of his 30th straight ironman...let's here from him while you folks enjoy your morning coffee. For god's sake, if they can show drawings made by little kids of another cloud and sun, surely they can make a short blurb out if this. I think people would love it (assuming IC has an engaging personality - I don't know anything about him).

At a bare minimum, get some of these girls to compliment the gig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5WEbLmu4k

Last edited by: AJHull: Jul 24, 15 13:43
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got an email from blueseventy this morning claiming a World Record:

"We're inspired by James' World Record and we want to give more back. Now through MONDAY, AUGUST 3RD use coupon code [deleted] and receive 15% off your purchase. We will donate 10% of every sale used with this coupon code to Jamie Oliver's Food Foundation to help the fight against obesity."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidC wrote:
Got an email from blueseventy this morning claiming a World Record:

"We're inspired by James' World Record and we want to give more back. Now through MONDAY, AUGUST 3RD use coupon code [deleted] and receive 15% off your purchase. We will donate 10% of every sale used with this coupon code to Jamie Oliver's Food Foundation to help the fight against obesity."

Yep, this is why I see this as a joke. But so many lemmings have fallen in line.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [DavidC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spend way too much time on the internet. I read a blogger yesterday who claimed a world record for IC, sorry I didn't copy it. Today, I see this in the news:
http://www.deseretnews.com/...-obesity.html?pg=all

Pretty sure he's going to stand by his world record claim, despite the elliptical day. Disclaimer: much respect for the athletic achievement.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [boilham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilham wrote:
I spend way too much time on the internet. I read a blogger yesterday who claimed a world record for IC, sorry I didn't copy it. Today, I see this in the news:
http://www.deseretnews.com/...-obesity.html?pg=all

Pretty sure he's going to stand by his world record claim, despite the elliptical day. Disclaimer: much respect for the athletic achievement.

What a total joke!!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next