Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I was assuming there was at least a timing mat at the conclusion of each lap, so if so you wouldn't be able to do that (unless you lost your chip or there were problems with the timing splits). But yes, if there were no mats, then she could have done this. I would think it would be more likely that she would do one full lap, and having done one lap realize then that a) there were no timing mats, and b) that she could just do the eastern loop of the total bike course and get away with it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
If it helps at all, the bike course appears to be laid out on MapMyRide:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/427191250
Thanks - couldn't get it to load though. Seemed to get stuck trying to load the elevation data.

Anyway, it looks like the eastern loop, which should be the beginning and end sections of the bike course, if you only rode this loop, would be about 11 miles. It's fairly hilly from descriptions I've read, but you would probably have to ride it pretty slowly for it to take 58 minutes. So, IF that's what she did, then she either biked very slowly, or maybe went a bit further up the correct bike course and somehow hopped across the road at another intersection. Alternatively she may have rested somewhere for a bit, probably a porta-loo or whatever toilets they had on the bike course.
Last edited by: Kay Serrar: Sep 25, 15 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StoppedClock wrote:
I don't think it was necessary to "cut" the bike course. It would be simpler to fall behind on the first loop, stop for an hour on the 2nd loop, wait for the leaders to come around on their 3rd loop, and hop back in, in time to get passed by Tamasin again. I think this fits the data, and doesn't require finding a short cut.

this.^^^ which can be executed more easily of course when one loses their timing chip.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
StoppedClock wrote:
I don't think it was necessary to "cut" the bike course. It would be simpler to fall behind on the first loop, stop for an hour on the 2nd loop, wait for the leaders to come around on their 3rd loop, and hop back in, in time to get passed by Tamasin again. I think this fits the data, and doesn't require finding a short cut.

this.^^^ which can be executed more easily of course when one loses their timing chip.

This is also the strategy that one can use in the dual swim loop with no timing mat in between loops. Just take one loop super easy, stop on a few Kayaks/rafts and voila....swim in just behind the loop 2 leaders. If it could work on the swim somewhere in 2013, then why not on the bike on another course in 2014 and again in another swim in 2015. Seems like doing the pre meditated thing one has to have a knowledge of the course and know where there are multiple loops with or without timing wires. If there are no timing wires, then just skip a loop and plan the arrival time to fit in with acceptable FOP human performance. If there are timing wires, then just lose the chip and also plan arrival times to fit in with FOP ranges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StoppedClock wrote:

That is unfortunate. If she cut the course then someone might be able to find enough photos from social media to plot her position and time at multiple points on the course and then find two points where her time between them beggars believability. But if she disappeared for an hour then not only will this not work but there will be a dearth of data to support any allegation.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
That is unfortunate. If she cut the course then someone might be able to find enough photos from social media to plot her position and time at multiple points on the course and then find two points where her time between them beggars believability. But if she disappeared for an hour then not only will this not work but there will be a dearth of data to support any allegation.

Well, absence of pictures should also work, but obv requires more work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The key thing with images is that they have to be associated with times. The IMC images did not have time stamps but we were able to use those athletes pictured with her, combined with their time splits at the timing mat where the images were taken, to establish a result. The images used for China were not taken from social media or Finisher Pix (or equivalent). They were original digital photos with EXIF data from two different cameras. Most images grabbed from uploaded locations like Facebook have their EXIF data killed during the import and compression phase.

I am not sure we need more images anyway. In the same way that IMC results were considered 'unachievable' by Miller based on her history, one can only assume these results are too and that the relevant authorities take appropriate action. That, combined with the recent DQ's, build a 'beyond reasonable doubt' case in my mind. She was overtaken twice by the fastest Age Grouper on the day and then followed that Age Grouper into transition. End. Of. Story.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:
Most images grabbed from uploaded locations like Facebook have their EXIF data killed during the import and compression phase.

Aww. I didn't know that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nor did I. Only discovered that recently.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JPW,

Just thought you might want to know about Julie's "Revolution Spin & Core with Julie Miller". Yes you read that correct, Julie is teaching spin classes in our lovely recreations centre (epic fail) starting October 4 to Dec 13 for either 10 session packs @ $173.25 or a drop in rate of $18 plus tax. Classes run 90 minutes so that should be enough time for her to teach you everything she knows.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is a bit of a sidebar, but I wonder what her Kona strategy would have been should IMC not have been the end of the line of her course cutting hobby.

You can't cut the swim. You can't cut the bike. Would she have done the whole lose-a-chip and a porta-potty in-out turnaround strategy? Skip the Energy Lab entirely? Do the whole race and call it an off day? It's such a shame the world will never know.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [twitchiest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is she advertising herself as a world champion?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

Regarding her athletic accomplishments, JM chooses her words carefully:

Julie Miller
l am an athlete who has been competing in triathlon for 7 years. I live here in Squamish with my husband Ryan, two kids Sola and Yale and two fur babies. I compete in Ironman and Long Distance Triathlons as well as Mountain Biking and Trail Running races. My career highlights include a Gold Medal at the 2014 ITU Long Distance World Championships, competing in Ironman Canada, the 2014 National Championships in Vancouver, BC, 2014 Provincial Champion and First Place at test of Metal 2014 and 2015.

http://mantraliving.ca/web/personal-training-group-fitness/training-about-us/

She competes in Ironman triathlons (true) but makes no claim regarding finishing.
Does not claim to be an age group winner.
She has an ITU gold medal (true I suppose) but doesn't claim to be world champion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I don't know. Pedal hard for 30 minutes, then all sit around and drink lattes for 30 minutes, then pedal hard for 30 more. Tell everyone you did a hard 90 minute workout. Sounds fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she was binned from Vancouver how is she the 2014 Provincial Champion?

Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is a bit of a sidebar, but I wonder what her Kona strategy would have been should IMC not have been the end of the line of her course cutting hobby.

You can't cut the swim. You can't cut the bike. Would she have done the whole lose-a-chip and a porta-potty in-out turnaround strategy? Skip the Energy Lab entirely? Do the whole race and call it an off day? It's such a shame the world will never know.

Indeed.

That's the truly fascinating part for me about all this.

For each race there would have had to be a fair amount of thought put into the strategy and technique to pull off what she did. These were not just hap hazard attempts. There would have needed to be some research, and recon done with each race course and then knowledge of what the timing system was and how it worked. How to elude detection but still "look" legit? etc . . .

Also - did she do this alone? Did she have some help?

The mind boggles!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Sep 28, 15 17:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StoppedClock wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Regarding her athletic accomplishments, JM chooses her words carefully:

Julie Miller
l am an athlete who has been competing in triathlon for 7 years. I live here in Squamish with my husband Ryan, two kids Sola and Yale and two fur babies. I compete in Ironman and Long Distance Triathlons as well as Mountain Biking and Trail Running races. My career highlights include a Gold Medal at the 2014 ITU Long Distance World Championships, competing in Ironman Canada, the 2014 National Championships in Vancouver, BC, 2014 Provincial Champion and First Place at test of Metal 2014 and 2015.

http://mantraliving.ca/web/personal-training-group-fitness/training-about-us/

She competes in Ironman triathlons (true) but makes no claim regarding finishing.
Does not claim to be an age group winner.
She has an ITU gold medal (true I suppose) but doesn't claim to be world champion.

She was also listed on Mantra Living FB page. Not anymore after I asked if we should expect a 90min workout or if the course would be cut...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
did she do this alone? Did she have some help?

The mind boggles!

I would find it very difficult to believe that her husband didn't know.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
There would have needed to be some research, and recon done with each race course and then knowledge of what the timing system was and how it worked. How to elude detection but still "look" legit? etc . . .

In some ways, it's like High School. We were in over our heads in Honors Calculus, so we wound make up elaborate schemes and cheat sheets, and hide clues throughout the room to remind us of formulas and problems & solutions

In the end, we would spend so much time to beat the system, we'd actually LEARN the shit, and never have to use the cheats

If Julie could have said "OK, all I really have to run is 20 miles, because my shortcut takes off 6 miles of the run" and trained for THAT, she probably could have actually done it without cheating

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paging Rosie Ruiz, come in please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still wonder what the goal was in 2013 IM Whistler. The other efforts netted her first place. What was the point for 10th? I was there both years, so maybe the stellar conditions in 2013 yielded faster than estimated times and she didn't jump back into the run soon enough? There was a slight run course change in 2013 that never showed on the printed maps, but it wasn't enough to really change split times much. Maybe using some mobile data for the live tracker and a general idea on split times, but it is almost always delayed, and seems to always jam up as the race progresses through the run. My bet is an exit and re-entry in the Lost Lake area where there is a lot going on race day. I wondered the same thing about help. Car or hotel/condo room nearby?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada F40-44: new thread [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a sloppy first attempt. Still honing the craft back in 2013...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard that when she rode the BC Bike Race with her husband that it was not like a "honeymoon" that she is quoted as saying in the local papers. Those two fought, a lot. Many people around them heard it and it was no secret. No secret either that she cut the course there on at least one of the stages. This was in 2014 so for sure her husband knew then. This was a team effort.

As for Julie's spin classes, perhaps people could contact the local rec centre in Squamish to voice their concerns like somebody did with Mantra Living. It is a fair question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twitchiest wrote:
I have heard that when she rode the BC Bike Race with her husband that it was not like a "honeymoon" that she is quoted as saying in the local papers. Those two fought, a lot. Many people around them heard it and it was no secret. No secret either that she cut the course there on at least one of the stages. This was in 2014 so for sure her husband knew then. This was a team effort.

As for Julie's spin classes, perhaps people could contact the local rec centre in Squamish to voice their concerns like somebody did with Mantra Living. It is a fair question.

Really? Trying to prevent her from teaching spin classes? Gathering evidence to have her DQed from the WC is one thing, but by hounding her in real life you just crossed into creepy stalker territory. What's next? Do you plan on following her around and taking pictures while she shops?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh, this is not hounding. It's preventing. Dopers should not be allowed to coach or teach, the same goes for serial cheaters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next