Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I spent $500k on heart surgery.

I'd say /pink.... Do I win?

$500k? What?
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have bought nothing so far. but I have donated to
Covenant house (twice), Scott Mission, Age UK
all the money I would have spent on race fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was furloughed for a week which means being a bit more careful with spending (I was expecting 4-6 weeks of furlough) but we've been considered an essential business so some of us are being called back to work. I am in middle management, so I'll probably start some extra spending to help the employees I'm responsible for, like buying meals to support them and local businesses directly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought some Saxx underwear.....not sure how much that helped the economy....
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

$500k? What?

I was kind of being facitious. But, yes, last I checked the total insurance payments (for the surgery, hospital stays, midications, and tests), were approaching the 1/2-million-USD mark.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have been pick up and going with meals a couple three times a week at our favorite local places. Leaving a way way big tip for the help. Unfortunately the ones still working are probably the managers and senior ranking workers. Wish we could tip the laid off ones. We also are hiring a few of the laid off people we know to do yard projects that we could easily do but haven't gotten around to. We just tell them (socially distance) instructions of what to do and let them have at it. They so far have worked out pretty well.
I figure the money we give away balances out to the money we would have blown on bar bills, hair appointments, and other ways we waste money. I am saving $5-8 a day on not going to the local coffee shop in the mornings cause they are closed.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
We have been pick up and going with meals a couple three times a week at our favorite local places. Leaving a way way big tip for the help. Unfortunately the ones still working are probably the managers and senior ranking workers. Wish we could tip the laid off ones.

We've been doing similar (patronizing our local favorites, and tipping big). One place that was hugely popular, has been reduced to 1/3rd of its original space, and she's had to let all 14 of her employees go. Now, its simply a one-woman(owner)-show.

I found a local farmer selling vegetables from his field on the side of the road in front of his house, so I've been buying as much as I can from him. He's just up the street from us, and delivers to my house every tuesday. I've eaten several things I wouldn't have tried normally. He's also selling some things he bought elsewhere...but, he's very clear about what he grows vs. buys.

There's a local restaurant group here that has setup a gofundme for their furloughed workers, and is matching all donations to that gofundme. In addition, they are collecting all (or maybe a portion of) tips and donating them to the furloughs as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

$500k? What?
You don't live in the land of the free, do you? ;)

My bike crash and broken collar bone was 27K.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

$500k? What?

Big difference between $27,000 and $500,000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been snowboarding since I started triathlon but now that I live in Oregon (formerly NYC) and its much more accessible, I refreshed my snow gear collection. I also bought a ton of beautiful camping gear from SnowPeak in anticipation that even if social distancing continues through the summer, that camping is allowed and encouraged with single family groups.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

I'm not exactly a stranger to the cost of surgeries. I've had a few, as has my wife. My nasal reconstruction a couple years ago wasn't exactly cheap--and I was only in the general hospital for 3 days (vs. the CCU/ICU). But, this one was a whole nuther order of magnitude---literally.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
Thinking about taking my bike in for a tune up even though i have the tools and ability to do it myself. I figure the money would be well spent to keep their shop going.

There is a used cannonade road bike Ive been eyeballing for a few weeks on Facebook. Thinking about taking the jump on it as well, I guess that will indirectly stimulate the economy.

That's what I did. My rear brakes on Felt B14 need replaced and my chain was close to needing to be replaced as well. I told them whatever else they found to need service just go ahead and do it. They just deemed bike shops non-essential in my area so times are going to be tough for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wahoo kick bike--wasn't going to do it but am very glad I did! No more putting my TT bike on and off the trainer! Plus no calibration required--feeling very good about my Zwift subscription dollars as well!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a 15" Macbook pro to get back into music production after a 6 year hiatus.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Hoyt Powermax. My 1st bow. Pretty excited then the state closed the ranges. My property is too small to shoot safely so I just look at it for now.

Bought some new pedals too.

And joined Bikes and Beer virtual ride. Portion of the proceeds are going to help those dealing with the virus 1st hand and I get some beer and bike related swag, tying together 2 things I really like.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
I just bought a Hoyt Powermax. My 1st bow. Pretty excited then the state closed the ranges. My property is too small to shoot safely so I just look at it for now.

Bought some new pedals too.

And joined Bikes and Beer virtual ride. Portion of the proceeds are going to help those dealing with the virus 1st hand and I get some beer and bike related swag, tying together 2 things I really like.

Awesome! I’m between a Hoyt Alpha and the Mathews VXR. I’m lucky cuz I can shoot 20 yards in my back yard. Actually really relaxing. My archery shop has always told me they sell tons of the Powermax. Super bow for the money I hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve wanted a Garmin Varia radar for a while. They dropped the price $70 so I bit. Then I decided my Fenix won’t cut it so I bought a head unit. With the new head unit, I realized I need an ant+ transmitter so I can see if the DI2 battery is low. Then I went for a ride and got a flat so I bought new tires. Installed the new tires, went for a ride with my wife and she couldn’t keep up. So I bought her an e-bike.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [sslothrop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
going to buy a power meter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Ferrari
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
A Ferrari

Awesome! What model? I just bought my dream car... Porsche 911 Turbo S

I’m really believing the economy will be just fine. Otherwise, I will be broke and living in the car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
triguy86 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

$500k? What?

Big difference between $27,000 and $500,000
Big difference between a broken collar bone and heart surgery.
Either way, they are massive costs and I'm pretty sure they are only that high, or even close, in the US. They have a ridiculous health system in my humble opinion.
I dealt with it once and while the service was good, the commercial side of it left a rather bitter taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to spend some money locally as not everyone is as lucky as me and can continue to work from home. I have the same income as normal, and lower cost of living right now actually since we eat less out and do not pay for kids daycare during closure.

-Sent two bikes to the local bikeshop (suspension service for the full suspension MTB + disc break maintenance on the wify´s commuter bike)
-Ordered boxes of fresh produce from local farmers delviered to our door
-Take out from local restaurants 1-2 days a week
-Local brewery had an "open day" to come and buy beer as all the pubs they normally sell to are closed. bought beer for the next months :D
-Local contractor starting some work in our garden to dig, drain and insulate our basement over easter

Andreas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally bought a Vasa. I have wanted one for a while, but the wife kept declining, but with all the pools closed now, she finally pulled the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured since Im not going to be spending much on entry fees this season may as well get some nice wheels for my road bike.
Got some HED Jet plus 5's from the boys over at MBS.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:

This is pretty cool, I just created a team for me and my friends. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply

Prev Next