Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy?
Quote | Reply
As the topic states, I know buying stuff for a lot of folks is probably not a good thing as we have a bumpy financial ride coming.

However we are triathlete's, just like we should be staying our butts home, taking limited risk when we do go out, and ordering a bit of take out to support Mom and Pop local restaurants. If you have a little something extra, lets support our triathlon business and buy some stuff. So what you got, what are some good sales, what stores will you support?

Me:
I bought a Set Of Powertap AMP wheels on sale at Competitive Cyclist (A few years overstock and everyone going to Disc Braking I could not resist) $770 shipped.
Next going to Triathlon Lab In Redondo Beach to get an 11 Speed Cassette for the wheels and order a pair of replacement Cervelo Bibs . One my bikes will get serviced as well where it needs it or not.

I will also probably hit Desoto Up for a pair of Tri Shorts or something.

Since I cannot drive anywhere this week or buy my 2 to 3 over priced coffees per week it should not be too bad on the finances.

What have you got?

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Last edited by: gymrat: Mar 29, 20 21:24
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought a Concept2 Ski Erg
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Signed up for a few virtual races. Doubt I'll do them.

Lots of booze.

Buying Domino's Pizza.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought the new face masks from DeSoto for my wife and I, my in-laws, and my mom and her boyfriend. Went to local bike store before it closed and got new tires and a chain for my bike. Bought some socks I did not need from the bike store too.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Lots of booze.

Buying Domino's Pizza.

As I was holding a bottle of whiskey looking for a six pack of beer yesterday, a woman looks over at me and joked, "We're all going to come out of this as alcoholics". I quipped back, "Nah - I've been in quarantine for years!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new 12.9" iPad Pro to make my indoor setup more flexible. I zwift for bike and run through an AppleTV on a TV that is setup in front of my bike. When I run, it's off to the side if on the TV or it's very small on my phone. Likewise when I bike, if I want to watch something else it's on my small phone. So with the big iPad I can either watch something or zwift on it, or the AppleTV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question, Peter!

I’m not buying new things this year except for necessities and materials to make things.

I increased my contribution to my company’s 403b (nonprofit version of 401K) retirement plan from 18 to 25 percent. I will lose value on my existing collection of stocks, but will be buying more stocks at deep discounts on the belief that we will rebound financially in a few years from this necessary national shutdown.

So with the money I’m saving by not being able to go anywhere for work or play, I had lots of mulch, garden potting soil, manure and plants either curb-delivered or home-delivered to get my spring garden going.

I also bought 100 percent cotton and elastic from a used crafts materials store in Pasadena, CA called Remainders. People donate their excess craft supplies and the store sells them at low prices, and they even give them to teachers. So they were making mask supplies very inexpensive. So I’ve been sewing masks to give to my tri teammates.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Last edited by: SharonMcN: Mar 29, 20 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [bmpskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmpskier wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:

Lots of booze.

Buying Domino's Pizza.

As I was holding a bottle of whiskey looking for a six pack of beer yesterday, a woman looks over at me and joked, "We're all going to come out of this as alcoholics". I quipped back, "Nah - I've been in quarantine for years!"

My last trip to the store involved a six pack of Wild Turkey 101 (i.e. case). The 1.75 size...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. a advanced cross over for the speakers .. to enjoy the communicative power of music closer ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to buy some toilet paper. Figured I'd support the International Paper and Georgia Pacific workers.

No joy on the toilet paper. But I scored a case of California red wine.

Looks like I'll need to go back again this week. We're going through the wine bottles pretty quickly.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salsa Timberjack from LBS (before they closed). My son gets to use it on family MTB outings, but I also get to ride it.

Boy...disc brakes and a dropper post are really nice, even on the mild riding we’re doing!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since quarantine started: some new garden tools, new ladder that can reach 22 feet for cleaning gutters, several security cameras, and a server to run the recorder on, new office chair. Wanting to finish a wood fence around the yard but none of the contractors are returning messages. They are shut down too. Saw deer, possum, raccoons, coyote chasing a rabbit, on my cameras since putting them in. I had no idea. So yeah the yard is getting sealed off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m an avid deer hunter and I’ve been wanting a new bow for a while. Will probably pull the trigger on it now that I’m shooting every day out of boredom.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll pay my next propane bill the property tax for schools I've never used, that should leave me a little to get some energy gels.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad that my property tax bill is less than $12K.

My neighbors who just bought their house last year are paying around $41K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What should I buy? Trying to get the most bang for my Trump Check here

Deciding between:

Carbon Wheelset

New Handlebars

Garmin edge 130 plus Garmin Watch

or, stick it all in my kids 529?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin tri watch

945, 935 or Fenix

Just need to better understand the differences and pull the trigger?

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:

Lots of booze

Buying Domino's Pizza.

Me Too!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought another power meter.

Looking at a different track frame, don't know if I can get the one I want from China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent $500k on heart surgery.

I'd say /pink.... Do I win?
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 29, 20 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Jkgoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkgoff wrote:
What should I buy? Trying to get the most bang for my Trump Check here

Deciding between:

Carbon Wheelset

New Handlebars

Garmin edge 130 plus Garmin Watch

or, stick it all in my kids 529?

529??? How fiscally responsible 🤢
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about taking my bike in for a tune up even though i have the tools and ability to do it myself. I figure the money would be well spent to keep their shop going.

There is a used cannonade road bike Ive been eyeballing for a few weeks on Facebook. Thinking about taking the jump on it as well, I guess that will indirectly stimulate the economy.
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a tri bike. I'll probably at some point get my road bike fit again. I got it fit from a very reputable fitter in my area and it's awful. I did a 40 mile ride on it yesterday and thought I was going to die
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weighing lots of options. New bike for rainy days, race wheels, new wetsuit, direct drive trainer, power meter. Maybe some combination of said above. So many options and such a small bank account. Sigh...

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Fighting Corona / Contribute to Economy / What did you Buy or going to Buy? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad has been in the hospital for two months for his heart surgery and I think it is only going to cost him $1,400.
Quote Reply

Prev Next