Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admire your confidence in the mastery that athletes have over technical details, but I do not share it =)

styrrell wrote:
I don't presume to speak for why they choose the bike they did. I'm assuming that guys that make their livelihood at the absolute upper end of the sport have a pretty good handle on what they're doing.

Styrrell

Wife's Blog (Texas area Tri and Bike News) - Today - The Legendary Austin Mopac TT!
Best Tri Shop in Texas

Nothing to add I just really wanted to save that quote for posterity.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
One thing people seem to be missing is that Cervelo is claiming 9 watts at 30 mph in a windtunnel. I'm not one that thinks a wind tunnel test isn't valid, but there are differences between a number you get in a wind tunnel and what happens in a real race.

Cervelo found 9 watts @ 30 mph in a WT
Cervelo says that equals 7 watts in a group

If you're going to be critical, at least get your facts straight. The 9W number IS at 40km/hr (i.e. 24.8 mph), not 30 mph...AND that's relative to an S3. Relative to other road bikes typically ridden in the peloton, it can be up to 32W difference.

I don't think that's going to change your rationalization any, but I just thought I'd point that out...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
xcsnail wrote:
Interesting that Tyler Farrar did not want to have those 9 magical watts in today's race......
The bike is so good, that he decided not to ride it and spare the competition I suppose, give them a head start I suppose.

My suspicion is that there may have been other considerations in regards to the rider's bike choices today other than what is being speculated...

My suspicion is that they could not get their bars on the same position in the S5 as in the S3. Nothing most here should worry about, by the way.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sergio Escutia wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
xcsnail wrote:
Interesting that Tyler Farrar did not want to have those 9 magical watts in today's race......
The bike is so good, that he decided not to ride it and spare the competition I suppose, give them a head start I suppose.

My suspicion is that there may have been other considerations in regards to the rider's bike choices today other than what is being speculated...

My suspicion is that they could not get their bars on the same position in the S5 as in the S3. Nothing most here should worry about, by the way.

I'm not buying that. Most of them were using 6d stems...they could easily get the same position with a slightly longer 17d stem in the same size designations. It's simple geometry.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just go here: I don't believe 9w or 32w to be true, especially for the peleton. More like 6. or 5. or less.

9w at the front of the peleton is 2 or 3%. 32w is like 7 or 8%. Which as all the aero threads have pointed out, are your penalty when you sit up to grab a feed bag. Or Put bottles in your shirt. Or put on or take off your windbreaker. Or sit back to take a mechanical. Or click on your microphone. Or sit up to talk to the guy next to you. In fact, the majority of the aero gain you might get is for the time you're on the rivet or alone, maybe 3% of a stage race; so the operational benefit isn't near 9w or 32w. You can rationalize otherwise.

You can make the argument that 2 or 4% is exactly that, but I'll call it a rounding error. Forever. Believers with an extra 5K will stand by it and they'll go buy one. Great. Industry shills will stand by it because it's all about the sell; that stands to reason. I won't dispute some benefit, I have no basis to. But I'll argue forever that there aren't more than a couple hundred people in the world that could see see measurable, different results for riding an S5 vs an S3 or any of a number of bikes. If the data were clear, it would be clear. The data is not clear, which opens the door for bias and messaging, which is what we have. I, for one, don't believe the hype for a second.

And to think that Jack or Tom, complete Cervelo stoolies, would do anything other than pimp the next cervelo is ludicrous. You're credible in lots of ways; but honking the next Cervelo isn't one of them. You're biased. You can call it data based, but you'll put a different lens on the Cervelo data than you do any other data. It's a consistent phenomenon, maybe you see it, maybe you don't. But it's there. I assume most folks on the site can see that, and take it for what it's worth.

I'd just like people to see the S5 for what it is. An upgrade, that most people won't see a discernable difference, much less one in use that will differentiate them from 2nd, 3rd, or whatever place. Just put it in perspective.

XCSnail, tried to put words to what you were thinking. I agree. All done. Flame away. I expect it.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Last edited by: Rick in the D: Jul 2, 11 20:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
dawgcatching wrote:
Just reading the Cervelo claim on the new S5. It may be more slippery, but I find the drag reduction a bit hard to believe. 9.9 watts or 92 grams of drag: really?

Yes. Really.

dawgcatching wrote:
Do you know how much harder you have to train to get that kind of power increase?

Yes...painfully so...

dawgcatching wrote:
It also equates to a big change in position; if you modify your TT position to lose 100g of drag, you will be going a lot faster and have a pretty decent adjustment to make. Compare that to the claims of savings when compared to an already aero S3 frame with a narrow profile. Like some other aero claims, it just seems "too good to be true".

I know that when I did a TT recently, and a teammate of mine compared power with me (he has a better position, same model bike); we found out that our power is about the same, but he regularly puts 20 seconds into me in the weekly 7-mile TT. Recently, he had his 50mm deep Ritchey front wheel, and I had a Stinger 7, which is 140g of drag less at a yaw of 12.5 degrees. Comparing power, we were still within 2 watts of each other, but my "140g of drag savings" didn't change the fact that he beat me by the usual 20 seconds (140g of savings should translate into 16s of time savings). It doesn't directly correlate to the S5 claim, but just shows me that those claims should be taken with a grain of salt. I don't doubt that my Stinger 7 is faster than his wheel, but a few seconds at best.

I think what you describe above says more about the rigor of your testing protocol (or, lack thereof) than anything else.

Seriously...100g of drag reduction isn't really that much to find...heck, I found 1.5X to 2X that amount when testing a P2K vs. a P3...

When the s2 first came out, cervelo had a white paper that said the s2 was 1.5% better than their non aero frame [r3] at 300 watts or 4.5 watts faster, and this was with rider aboard. Now the s2 is much much faster than the r3 and the s5 is faster still. Gerard confirmed the 1.5% when I asked specifically about this 2 years ago. Something doesn't add up...
Last edited by: mlinenb: Jul 3, 11 5:09
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When the s3 first came out, cervelo had a white paper that said the s3 was 1.5% better than their non aero frame [r3] at 300 watts or 4.5 watts faster, and this was with rider aboard. Now the s3 is much much faster than the r3 and the s5 is faster still. Gerard confirmed the 1.5% when I asked specifically about this 2 years ago. Something doesn't add up...

You are right, it is called marketing. In 18-24 months Cervelo will reveal another bike that is somehow 1.5% better and 18-24 months after that and so on and so on....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks didn't see the speed in thw WP and assumed industry standard. And no it does change the main point that there is a difference between 9 watts between frames found in a windtunnel test and the number of watts you actually realize in a stage race.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
And to think that Jack or Tom, complete Cervelo stoolies
Tom's TT bike isn't a Cervelo.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
And to think that Jack or Tom, complete Cervelo stoolies...

I'm sorry...I couldn't let this stand without correction...I prefer "data stoolie". Thanks. Carry on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Sergio Escutia wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
xcsnail wrote:

I'm not buying that. Most of them were using 6d stems...they could easily get the same position with a slightly longer 17d stem in the same size designations. It's simple geometry.

Yes but they want to use 6° stems not 17° stems and not a longer stem certainly. If they need a longer stem, most will think that something is off and some may not feel fine.

Most of these guys don't know much about bike geometry, they just do not like to mess with their positions... in a real or perceived way.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
Quote:
When the s3 first came out, cervelo had a white paper that said the s3 was 1.5% better than their non aero frame [r3] at 300 watts or 4.5 watts faster, and this was with rider aboard. Now the s3 is much much faster than the r3 and the s5 is faster still. Gerard confirmed the 1.5% when I asked specifically about this 2 years ago. Something doesn't add up...

You are right, it is called marketing. In 18-24 months Cervelo will reveal another bike that is somehow 1.5% better and 18-24 months after that and so on and so on....

It's actually the S2 not S3 (my mistake)- but the S2 and S3 are very, very close in aerodynamics. Here's more of the 1.5% difference- in Gerards own words. To me- this doesn't add up- but... I still believe they are great frames and my household owns two S3s and one P3C.

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/3192.aspx A very long post by Gerard on the subject talking about his Cervelo aero road benefit.

"For the aerodynamics, first of all the aerodynamics don't work best at zero degrees (head wind), but actually in slight cross winds. Secondly, people seem to have a problem with the comparison of small effects. The discussion of what is more important, aero or weight, is a silly one. We need to know about how much weight and how much aerodynamics we're talking about. Between an R-Series and S-Series frame, it's around 150g. On a 68kg rider and 7kg bike, that's 0.2% difference. On a pro's bike, it's 0% different as we can make both the R and the S bike at the limit of 6.8kg. So the effect of weight savings is small (in absolute terms already, never mind in comparisons with other effects). If your speed was completely linearly related to weight (so all your resistance is connected to weight, and nothing to anything else), this 0.2% would mean you would save 7.2 seconds per hour (0.2% of 3600 seconds). The same applies to acceleration, a 0.2% faster acceleration is not noticable. Yes, it is true that lower weight helps acceleration, and if you can drop 3kg, you will notice the difference (which of course is what has happened to bikes overall in the past 10-20 years, but that's not the difference between an aero and non-aero frame (that's only that 150g we talked about)."

"When you do the testing thoroughly, you notice not surprisingly, that the rider is the biggest factor (around 80%). So just like with the weight situation, the rider is the biggest chunk. The rest is then divided in wheels, frames, etc, etc. In the end, the difference between a "normal" frame and an S2 is around 1.5% of the overall drag. Not a huge amount, so it is easy to see why the engine is still the most important (heck, if it wasn't, do you really think Phil and I would support pro riders, instead of winning the Tour de France ourselves?)
So obviously, that 1.5% is not that much, but it's more than the 0.2%. And in most riding conditions, total aero related drag is much bigger than weight related drag, so it's much better to save 1.5% of a big number than 0.2% of a small number. "

I then- started this thread in 2009 in response to the above and white paper they had on aero versus weight-

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0cervelo%20;#2224872

"So- comparing an aero frame like the S2 vs R3 saves 1.5% (let's assume bikes/frames weigh the same for this discussion)- does this mean that if a rider going 40 km speed on 'flat/rolling terrain at 300 watts on the R3 would go the same speed on an S2 at 295.5 watts (a savings of 1.5%)? Or is that 1.5% from just the frame drag- and if the body is 80% and the bike is 20%- is it really 20% x 300 watts = 60 watts on the R3 and then 60 watts x 1.5% savings = 59.1 watts needed on an S2: for a savings of .9 watts? by the way: .9 watts = 2-3 seconds over 40km."

I posted the above question- because it just didn't seem like the hyped up frame would only save 2 to 3 seconds over 40km over their non aero frames. When I posted the question- I actually had an S3 on order and was slightly disappointed at the purported savings (or lack thereof).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gerard Answers my questions- yes- it is only a 4-5 watt savings of an aero road frame over their R3- and the savings in the pack is now 1-2 watts:

roady

Feb 27, 09 20:00

Post #3 of 9 (1468 views)
Re: 1.5% savings from Cervelo means?.. Zinn- lightweight vs Aero [mlinenb] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I certainly could be wrong, but when he says, it seems pretty clear that he means 'overall drag', including the rider. Obviously, the smaller the rider, the bigger the percentage. As I said on that thread, the difference is pretty small (and when you factor in sitting in a pack, where wind resistance is reduced 30-40%, that 4-5 watts becomes 1-2 watts).

Still, it all adds up--and most often the most critical moments in a race are whey you're getting the least draft.

As far as your other question, I suspect 2 things: the Cervelo road bike isn't nearly as aero as a P2/P3, and a round tubed bike is better than the worst TT frames (and almost all giant-tubed road frames).

------------------------------------------------------------
gerard

Mar 1, 09 18:04

Post #7 of 9 (1220 views)
Re: 1.5% savings from Cervelo means?.. Zinn- lightweight vs Aero [roady] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
Roady Quote:
I certainly could be wrong, but when he says, it seems pretty clear that he means 'overall drag', including the rider. Obviously, the smaller the rider, the bigger the percentage. As I said on that thread, the difference is pretty small (and when you factor in sitting in a pack, where wind resistance is reduced 30-40%, that 4-5 watts becomes 1-2 watts).

Still, it all adds up--and most often the most critical moments in a race are whey you're getting the least draft.

As far as your other question, I suspect 2 things: the Cervelo road bike isn't nearly as aero as a P2/P3, and a round tubed bike is better than the worst TT frames (and almost all giant-tubed road frames). (End of Quote)

Gerard's Reply:

10 points. And to clarify, for us the "average" size rider is our test dummy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now their white paper says this- which shows an S3 not an S2- but the savings are a lot more than his statements above:
Last edited by: mlinenb: Jul 3, 11 5:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
The S5 is more about marketing and less about substance

Duh, that is why they hire marketing experts like Damon Rinard and pay him good money to pretend he helps design the bikes. Same thing specialized does with Mark Cote. its genius

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
In fact, the majority of the aero gain you might get is for the time you're on the rivet or alone, maybe 3% of a stage race; so the operational benefit isn't near 9w or 32w. You can rationalize otherwise.

Don't understand you here. The frame will be more aero whether you are grabbing a bottle, sitting up, or on the rivet. In all of those circumstances you are moving through air with a frame that moves through air easier.

Quote:
And to think that Jack or Tom, complete Cervelo stoolies, would do anything other than pimp the next cervelo is ludicrous. You're credible in lots of ways; but honking the next Cervelo isn't one of them. You're biased.

Thats not entirely fair, I'm also happy to pimp the Venge, and maybe even the new Lightspeed. I am an aero stoolie, not just cervelo!

Quote:
You can call it data based, but you'll put a different lens on the Cervelo data than you do any other data.

what data have I improperly lensed? Seriously I would like examples. Hell search the posts about the P4 tunnel test where I repeatedly say that I didn't think the p4 "won" that test and that all the bikes did well.

Quote:
I'd just like people to see the S5 for what it is. An upgrade, that most people won't see a discernable difference,

I absolutely agree that moving to an aero frame alone will be a non-discernable difference except to people with power meters and patience =)

Quote:
much less one in use that will differentiate them from 2nd, 3rd, or whatever place. Just put it in perspective.

Occasionally it might differentiate your place in a race. Not often certainly. But the point with any attempt to get faster is not any one thing you do. The one workout you do tomorrow isn't going to make you finished 1st instead of 2nd. It is the sum of the next 30 workouts you do that might do that. Switching from an S3 to an S5 isn't going to get you from 2nd to 1st either. But the sum total of choosing the best frame, best tires, best wheels, best skewers, best tire pressure - it sure might.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell I will put it in my damn sig.

styrrell wrote:

Nothing to add I just really wanted to save that quote for posterity.

Styrrell

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mark - I didn't manage to completely follow the history of your communication here but I think you are assuming that the R series bike == normal road frame.

Gerard has stated the the R series frames are quite a bit more aero than a "normal road frame"

I do not know what bike or bikes they are counting as a normal road frame. Would this explain what does not add up for you?

Also, the R series bikes have changed significantly since that pervious comparison, with BB-RIGHT which is less aero, and the taller head tube.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
The S5 is more about marketing and less about substance

You may be right, but I doubt it. The S5 looks very different from any other road bike on the market. It has more advanced aero features than most tri bikes. I am sure that if it had a slightly steeper seat tube, it would faster than most tri bikes. So I think there might some substance to the S5.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Rick in the D, well said

People on ST are absolutley blinded by everything Cervelo feeds them. People continued to love the P4 even after it was delayed for months, came with a seat post that didn't fit and would slip down, the frame would crack at the seat post binder, the rear brakes were almost non-functional. Wow, what masters of engineering put that bike out. They did work to resolve those issues but c'mon.
How often are people traveling at 30 mph to actually realize those magical 9 watts?

Actually I hope a bunch of people drop the bike that they bought 2 years ago and go buy this bike, someone has to keep the economy working. So go buy it, buy it now all you stoollies

Cervelo much like WTC are masters of marketing and I will commend them on that, you have Tom and Jack fooled
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
How often are people traveling at 30 mph to actually realize those magical 9 watts?

It is 40km/hour that you realize the magical 9 watts, that is around 24.8 mph, not 30
edit: of course this is just their claim, and it could be untrue. Maybe I will get a chance to field test it =)

Quote:
Cervelo much like WTC are masters of marketing and I will commend them on that, you have Tom and Jack fooled

Tom rides a specialized transition, genius. (see my sig)

Last edited by: jackmott: Jul 3, 11 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom better update his profile with 3 pics of him riding a Cervelo
BIKE FIT MANAGER

Bike(s) Tom A. own

1) Francis
Style: Tri
Brand: Cervelo
Model: P2K
Size: 55cm

If people want to buy this bike then that great, go ahead and do so. Having passion in cycling and loving your bike are good things. I just don't believe their claims.
I am pretty sure the team will be told to ride the S5 at some point.

Back when I raced Mtn bikes I was in the team pits and a pro rider was having his mechanic spray paint his pedals yellow to make it look like he was riding the sponsors pedals because he refused to use them. Pros ride what gets them to the front and makes them pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The claims are comical at this point. I am astounded that this is under debate. If you are new to cycling, don't be suckered by this marketing bs. The whole slanted top tube is good sometimes and not others is hilarious. They might as well say, "A slanted top tube is the best if it's made by Cervelo." That's hollow marketing I can respect.

And seriously, does anyone still believe that what tour riders use is best? The only conclusion you can draw about the products tour riders use is that they were used by tour riders.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Chuck Finley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuck Finley wrote:
The claims are comical at this point. I am astounded that this is under debate. If you are new to cycling, don't be suckered by this marketing bs. The whole slanted top tube is good sometimes and not others is hilarious. They might as well say, "A slanted top tube is the best if it's made by Cervelo." That's hollow marketing I can respect.

Huh? Cervelo road bikes have always have slanted top tubes. where is the hilarity?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:

You might want to get your eyesight checked ;-)

xcsnail wrote:
BIKE FIT MANAGER

Bike(s) Tom A. own

1) Francis

Yeah...I haven't updated that...mostly because I record my position coordinates differently than Slowman espouses (I measure everything relative to the BB) so I don't find much use in the ST archive...plus my position hasn't really changed much since I sold the P2K to RChung. But, if it'll make you happy, I'll remeasure my Transition at some point today (things are slightly different on it, mostly due to different equipment) and update it, OK?

xcsnail wrote:
If people want to buy this bike then that great, go ahead and do so. Having passion in cycling and loving your bike are good things. I just don't believe their claims.
I am pretty sure the team will be told to ride the S5 at some point.

I've done enough field testing of my own to understand 2 things: First, sometimes what feels "fast" is actually significantly slower (see my "Something Borrowed, Something Fast" thread) and second, Cervelo's claims about aero savings tend to be conservative, if anything.

The problem with aero drag differences is that, unlike weight, you can't just throw a bike on the "drag scale" and get a number, like you can with a real scale with weight. That doesn't mean that those differences aren't there however, and humans are easily fooled perceptually so they might not think they are actually there...it takes a bit more effort to tease them out, but it's not impossible. It just takes some "quality time" with a power meter and a spreadsheet ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
BIKE FIT MANAGER

Bike(s) Tom A. own

1) Francis

If people want to buy this bike then that great, go ahead and do so.
Thanks for your permission. I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are right, we should all just submit the drag numbers from our bikes, submit our FTP and just declare a winner. I mean why race when it is all about having the most areo bike in a wind tunnel
Quote Reply

Prev Next