Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. Tires/tubes are a passive equipment choice that let you save watts no matter whether you're in a pack, off on a solo breakaway, or trying to bridge up; whether you're coasting downhill, climbing a hill, or cornering hard in a crit; whether the wind is blowing or it's calm; whether you're sitting up or in the drops. The savings may vary according to speed or the road surface but the savings (compared to a crappy set of tires and tubes) are always there. Whether those savings are enough to determine the outcome of a race is a separate issue from whether those savings exist.

The same thing applies to frames.

Yes & no on both tires & frames, however the above arguments are being made in a bubble, and not in a real-world situation. For example, if you were to simply look at the raw data for a tire's rolling resistance, you could make an argument that a certain set of tires is the "fastest", and while that may be technically true based on the sole criteria of rolling resistance, that doesn't make it the fastest tire overall---depending on the application (especially in road racing & crits). I'm not going to dig it up, but I've seen tests showing that the Michelin Pro 2 Race was one of the "fastest" tires out there: you couldn't pay me to put those on my bike in a crit. Ditto for most of Specialized tires in the late 90s/early 2000s---just hard as nails rubber.

What is faster: the tire that gives you ultimate confidence in a crit/road race/descending, allowing you to take corners at maximum speed or the tire that in a lab--in a straight line--is the "fastest"?

The same holds true for frames: I have ZERO doubt that Cervelo's S5 is more aero than my Parlee. However, simply based on the geometry alone, there is no way--for me--that it is "faster" in a road race/crit, and especially climbing & descending, and that is what matters to me. All the Cervelo fanboys here on ST seem to get their panties in a bunch whenever someone laughs at Cervelo's claims of aerodynamic superiority, but bike frame aerodynamics, in 99.9% of crits/road bike racing (non TT), DON'T MATERIALLY MATTER.

If it did, we'd be seeing A LOT of near pros showing up with TT helmets & deep dish wheels to road races, hoping to "save" those extra few seconds.

Or maybe Cervelo's marketing department hasn't thought of that yet?

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Quote:

The same thing applies to frames.

Yes
FTFY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious how professional cyclists manage to descend and ascend the french and italian mountains on whatever brand bike they have to ride, and stay with the peleton, yet for you a Parlee would be so advantageous 'climbing' and cornering that the speed you gain would outweigh even 3 or 4 watts of aero drag.

I guess the S5 was JUST the right geometry for climbing for Thor, letting him keep up with cadel evans on the attack, but for you, it would totally ruin your amateur crit racing.

I JUST don't know if that makes sense man. I bet if you did some power meter testing you would find almost no difference in how the two bikes corner and climb (speed wise) assuming you got in the same position on each.

as for people showing up for road races with disc wheels and helmets - ridicule is a powerful thing. I honestly think an aero helmet would be of some small advantage, but I'm not gonna put one on. Last road race I did though, guy forgot his helmet, I loaned him my wife's aero helmet, he won the race on a 100 degree day.

(he is a strong, strong cat 4 he would have won anyway)

*discuss*

mopdahl wrote:
However, simply based on the geometry alone, there is no way--for me--that it is "faster" in a road race/crit, and especially climbing & descending, and that is what matters to me.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jul 11, 11 17:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
but bike frame aerodynamics, in 99.9% of crits/road bike racing (non TT), DON'T MATERIALLY MATTER.

If it did, we'd be seeing A LOT of near pros showing up with TT helmets & deep dish wheels to road races, hoping to "save" those extra few seconds.

Yup, no deep wheels in the pro peloton. Clearly those extra few seconds don't matter.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
no no, he said *near* pros.

Missed the *near*. Countdown for TomA picture post....
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jack, I actually enjoy your contributions to st, but your aero is everything mantra is dumb. I haven't ridden a S5 yet, but it will probably be my next bike for racing, but for joy of riding I can almost guarantee the parlee is a better ride all around. Get off st and just start riding more.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [rickn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rick, I don't think aero is everything, but I do think of all the properties that differ between modern bikes, aerodynamics by far has the most profound effect on performance

as for joy of riding that is largely up to paint scheme and auras of awesomeness that companies create for themselves (in various ways). Also complete silence is key. imho. noisy bikes = bad. I can appreciate that.

and I did finally get to go out and ride today after 3 weeks stuck at home due to my shoulder dislocation that I got from...riding my bike into a car.

maybe I should ride less? =)

rickn wrote:
Jack, I actually enjoy your contributions to st, but your aero is everything mantra is dumb. I haven't ridden a S5 yet, but it will probably be my next bike for racing, but for joy of riding I can almost guarantee the parlee is a better ride all around. Get off st and just start riding more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the injury. No fun, pretty much why 99% of my rides are off road nowadays. And for racing hells yes give me aero but riding is a lot more than racing. Sometimes less is more. On slowtwitch too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
TomA is not quite THAT good.

Not even close.

However, I apparently have a "near literal God complex" (according to styrell), so maybe I am that good...at least in my mind, anyways ;-)

edit: BTW, isn't everyone above Cat 4 considered "near pro"?...It seems that's what they all think :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 11, 11 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you tell the difference between someone who just knows they are right, is in fact right, and can't shut up about it

and someone who is an idiot with a god complex?

Experiment!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
but more likely is you aren't doing careful enough testing to detect 150g difference anyway.

Your comment points to something that's troubled me. His 'relaxed testing protocol,' was basically real-world riding. If a purported benefit isn't realized in reality (as his wasn't with the HED wheel, for example) it's no longer a benefit.

I don't know... I swing both ways between 'maximize every aero advantage,' and, 'just get the basics covered and ride more.' I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I think the latter substantially overshadows the former.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not begin detectable in real world riding doesn't mean it isn't happening.

That is to say, let us presume that if you did a 40k TT every day at the same power, you might have a standard deviation of about 1 minute per 40k. That is it would be very common for your times to be 1 minute above or below the mean.

so 59 minutes one day, 1:01 the next, 1:00, 59 again, occasionally a 58 or 1:02, depending on weather and road conditions etc.

An super aero skewer might save you just 2 seconds per 40k. You will not be able to detect those 2 seconds by doing 40k TTs every day, with and without fancy skewer, because there is too much variance from other variables.

But, if you enter a race, and have that skewer on, you WILL still go 2 seconds faster than if you did not.

TriSRV wrote:
jackmott wrote:
but more likely is you aren't doing careful enough testing to detect 150g difference anyway.

Your comment points to something that's troubled me. His 'relaxed testing protocol,' was basically real-world riding. If a purported benefit isn't realized in reality (as his wasn't with the HED wheel, for example) it's no longer a benefit.

I don't know... I swing both ways between 'maximize every aero advantage,' and, 'just get the basics covered and ride more.' I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I think the latter substantially overshadows the former.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSRV wrote:

Yes, the latter overshadows the former a great deal. But on race morning, I want to know I'm not negating any of my training with a bad equipment choice. Just like I wouldn't leave on the wrong gearing, or Gatorskins, or anything else like that.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Curious how professional cyclists manage to descend and ascend the french and italian mountains on whatever brand bike they have to ride, and stay with the peleton, yet for you a Parlee would be so advantageous 'climbing' and cornering that the speed you gain would outweigh even 3 or 4 watts of aero drag.

I guess the S5 was JUST the right geometry for climbing for Thor, letting him keep up with cadel evans on the attack, but for you, it would totally ruin your amateur crit racing.

I JUST don't know if that makes sense man. I bet if you did some power meter testing you would find almost no difference in how the two bikes corner and climb (speed wise) assuming you got in the same position on each.

*discuss*

mopdahl wrote:
However, simply based on the geometry alone, there is no way--for me--that it is "faster" in a road race/crit, and especially climbing & descending, and that is what matters to me.

Maybe the same reason why historically the best three GC riders on Garmin *choose* to ride the R Series bikes in the Tour. Probably because they feel more comfortable, more powerful, stronger and they handle better *for them* in a 3 week tour versus riding the S series frame... which means... drum roll please- that the R series makes them faster and fresher (ironic, isn't it?). Of course some of the Garmin riders are on the S series frames, too. And due to the bikes being both lightweight- nether is a weight penalty with UCI regulations. Christian VDV and Ryder H and Tommy D. have had years to get use to the S Series bikes- but instead choose the R Series bikes. Jackmott- it isn't black and white and your summation of n = 1 with the Thor summary above is silly. Arguably, the riders who should ride the aero bikes should be the GC guys- as that will allow them to rest more each day, to really fight hard for when they need to fight (get those free extra watts), unlike the domestiques who can pedal in with the grupetto in the back half 25 minutes after the stage has ended. But the top GC guys on Garmin/Cervelo don't- and they have all the true inside data points, they have their watt meters, etc., and they still choose to ride the R Series... The aero gurus should ponder that for a bit. Now they *all* use aero wheels and aero clothing though.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...tage-8/photos/181475 Tommy D (I've seen him in promos for the new S5- maybe he has or will ride it during the tour?)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...tage-3/photos/180670 Ryder H
http://www.cyclingnews.com/...tage-3/photos/180674 Christian VDV
Last edited by: mlinenb: Jul 11, 11 19:44
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I think you're making a couple of assumptions here:

First, that they have the VWD frames (in their size) available to them...and second, that they had them long enough for them to take the risk to switch bikes JUST before the biggest race of the year. GC guys typically don't make big changes right before the big dance...

Quote:
Christian VDV and Ryder H and Tommy D. have had years to get use to the S Series bikes

Huh? Years? None of those guys has been on Cervelo until this year.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

First, that they have the VWD frames (in their size) available to them...and second, that they had them long enough for them to take the risk to switch bikes JUST before the biggest race of the year. GC guys typically don't make big changes right before the big dance...

Quote:
Christian VDV and Ryder H and Tommy D. have had years to get use to the S Series bikes

S3 is around in all their sizes... no takers. I should have said, they have had exposure to aero frame road bikes for years, felt 's version on garmin [which I don't believe they chose!]. Stop making excuses for them, the gc riders [so far] are turning down free watts... there are obviously good reasons. Maybe it's tradition- like tubulars versus clinchers or that a lighter frame is better? Or the geometry is better?
Last edited by: mlinenb: Jul 12, 11 5:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlinenb wrote:
Maybe the same reason why historically the best three GC riders on Garmin ...
Arguably, the riders who should ride the aero bikes should be the GC guys- as that will allow them to rest more each day, to really fight hard for when they need to fight (get those free extra watts), unlike the domestiques who can pedal in with the grupetto in the back half 25 minutes after the stage has ended. But the top GC guys on Garmin/Cervelo don't- and they have all the true inside data points, they have their watt meters, etc., and they still choose to ride the R Series...

Mark can you have a talk with these three guys? I haven't been able to get through to them yet.
I wish that could be in pink! :-(

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes & no on both tires & frames...
real-world situation...
fastest tire overall...
ultimate confidence in a crit/road race/descending, allowing you to take corners at maximum speed...

The same holds true for frames: I have ZERO doubt that Cervelo's S5 is more aero than my Parlee. However, simply based on the geometry alone, there is no way--for me--that it is "faster" in a road race/crit, and especially climbing & descending, and that is what matters to me.
[/quote]
I want to defend mopdahl a little here. In a road race a lot of details matter. It's not always easy to decide which ones are most important.

So let me respectfully ask: what other properties of a bike, besides aerodynamics, do you consider to be important in road racing? You've hinted at some in your post (above) where I've cut away some words to hopefully get closer to the heart of your meaning. But if you could list specifically the bike characteristics you look for I'd appreciate being given the opportunity to address some of them if I can. Thanks.

"Leave no stone unturned." - anonymous
"Start with the big ones." -Damon Rinard

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a bit og a joke but pretty obscure. You got on someone for irregardess. So the near God complex was in ref to you wheel review. If you really think you can change tire and make wheels "almost literally" come alive then you must be almost Godlike. I suspect you meant figuratively.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlinenb wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Quote:

S3 is around in all their sizes... no takers. I should have said, they have had exposure to aero frame road bikes for years, felt 's version on garmin [which I don't believe they chose!]. Stop making excuses for them, the gc riders [so far] are turning down free watts... there are obviously good reasons. Maybe it's tradition- like tubulars versus clinchers or that a lighter frame is better? Or the geometry is better?
or maybe just maybe the bike is more comfortable for them...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thor chose an aero frame
farrar chose the r3
geometry is identical

that can mean a few things.

1. pro cyclists do not make optimal equipment decisions like you think they do. (ie either Tyler wrongly assumes weight and stiffness matters more, or thor wrongly thinks aero matters more)
2. tyler has a really sensitive ass
3. tyler just doesn't want to risk new equipment before the tour.

I'll remind everyone that many of you speculated about Thor using the S3 on the first day meaning all sort of things, when in the end he just wanted the world champion paint job. PAINT JOB.

(nothing wrong with that either, paint job is important!)

mlinenb wrote:
the gc riders [so far] are turning down free watts... there are obviously good reasons. Maybe it's tradition- like tubulars versus clinchers or that a lighter frame is better? Or the geometry is better?

Last edited by: jackmott: Jul 12, 11 6:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has Thor said he just wanted the paint job, or are you saying it for him? They are pretty quick at gett custome paint, Look at his yellow bike.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then he could have had a yellow s3 had he wanted it too =)

thor specifically asked for the s5 for the norwegian championships and hopped back on it as soon as they had the yellow one.

styrrell wrote:
Has Thor said he just wanted the paint job, or are you saying it for him? They are pretty quick at gett custome paint, Look at his yellow bike.

Styrrell

Quote Reply

Prev Next