Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Mark,

I think the presentation you're looking for might have been called "Col de la Tipping Point". We should probably put it back up on the web; even though the bike models are somewhat outdated now, the information is still a quite informative reference.

I started typing a really long post explaining tons of aero testing and stuff, but let me just directly answer your questions in brief and we can drill down as needed.

1. The 1.5% difference you quote is drag force (or CdA, they're linearly related), not time, not power, not speed. Percent difference in power isn't the same as percent difference in drag force; power and drag force are not linearly related (see the "Total" curve on Figure 4's chart in the white paper; it's not a straight line). So differences in power have different percent results than differences in drag force; the 5.2% (your calculation result) is a difference in power, not CdA.

Anyway, of course a lot of details are different between the 2009 and 2011 R3, they're made in different molds, so have slightly different shapes and thus different aero properties.

Hi Damon-

After a bit more reading and researching- I was able to locate the Col de la Tipping Point on Cervelo's website- here: http://www.cervelo.com/.../tech-presentations/ under Aero vs Weight "Col de la Tipping Point" It does indeed compare the R3 series versus the S3. Also the new whitepaper uses the S3 tests in 2009 to bridge the gap with some of your data in 2011- so Cervelo must feel that bike hasn't changed (aerodynamically speaking). I also see the 2011 whitepaper data of S3 rider is about 2400 grams of drag at zero yaw and then drops as yaw increases. Even if the set up was different in 2009 and the drag was hypotheically 2700 grams (with rider- which would make the 1.5% savings larger in terms of watts)- a 1.5% difference (or savings of a S3 over R series)- is still really, really small- or about 36 grams of drag (4 watts) in the 2400 gram test or 40 grams of drag (4.5 watts) in my hypothetical (not knowing your exact numbers- but need a good ballpark) 2700 grams. Gerard affirms this is a small amount- in my ST post- that you for some reason want to pick nits about his reply, not truly being his words in the reply.

He also- affirms the difference is small here (when comparing Cervelo Road frames versus Aero Road):
http://forums.cervelo.com/...p/383/3611.aspx#3611
and here:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...der=asc&start=34
and here:
http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/3192.aspx
and here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...%201%205%25;#2226796

So, in all due respect to understanding this new whitepaper, I still find it hard to understand how the 2009 S3 (which is essentially the 2011 S3 aerodynamically) per your 2011 S5 whitepaper (using the 2009/2011 S3 wind tunnel data in the actual S5 whitepaper)- has gone from beating a R series by 4-5 watts to now beating the R Series by approximately 13 watts with rider on board. Your own Col de la Tipping Point shows that data from the 2007 Etape du Tour- has a S3 completing the distance 8 hrs 0 min 35 seconds and the R3sl completing it in 8 hrs 1 min 10 seconds- so a real world savings was only 35 seconds in an 8 hour period.

1. Has the R series been made substantially a lot less aerodynamic since 2009 with the new molds you site in a previous response?
2. Has your testing protocols changed in how you report 'data' yielding more time/wattage savings?
3. Feel free to pick nits with my logic- or just say the grams of drag the 2009 S3 tested- and we can easily affirm or deny the 2009 savings and then you can comment on how the 2011 savings between S3 and R series are now different?

I'm just a consumer, trying to understand the numbers and the numbers consistency over time, and I'm always in the market for a faster bike- because faster is indeed faster.

Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
mark how exactly are you doing the math to convert from drag to watts?

I thought it was ST common knowledge that about 9.5 grams of drag = 1 watt, which their whitepaper follows nicely (the gram/watt formula).

from Cervelo Whitepaper:

• 92 grams less drag than the S3 and
  • Up to 300 grams less drag than typical road bikes.

o This is a savings of 9-32 Watts

Figure 1 Aerodynamic drag force of the Cervélo S5 compared to the Cervélo S3. Tested at UWAL June 2011.
The figure above is a yaw-drag chart, a typical way of comparing the aerodynamic drag forces of different bicycles with a rider. Less drag (lower on the chart) is better. The vertical axis shows the drag force in grams, measured along the axis of the bike (not wind axes). This is the opposing axial force the rider feels due to the wind.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
These two sets of wind tunnel data are not directly comparable: among other differences, they come from two different wind tunnels, and in one test the rider is included and in the other, the rider is not. By 2009 we had already been testing time trial and tri bikes with our DZ mannequin and found slight changes in drag depending on whether there was a rider on board or not. So when we began the S5 project we included our mannequin in our wind tunnel tests on road bikes as well

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mlinenb wrote:
I thought it was ST common knowledge that about 9.5 grams of drag = 1 watt, which their whitepaper follows nicely (the gram/watt formula).
The formula you're looking for is Power = Force x Velocity. The rule of thumb you mentioned would be applicable to a particular speed only.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is talking about a particular speed.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If I understood Diamond, he seems to explain that some of the world dominance displayed by the societies who were more open to innovation (warfare, exploration, colonization, etc.) could be attributed in part to their creative inventions (or swift adoption of inventions from other societies)."

(emphasis mine)

True, but that chapter is simply a nod to the obvious, before he attempts to minimize it! The central thrust of Diamond's book is to advance the notion that differences in culture (specifically an embracing of data/results driven inquiry) contribute marginally but are trumped by environmental factors such as geography and weather. The counterpoint to Diamond's premise is superbly laid out in Carnage and Culture by Victor Davis Hanson. The reviews may pique your interest.

Disclaimer: Owning and loving my 2006 Cervelo Dual did not influence me in posting the above to this thread.
Last edited by: greg'n: Jul 5, 11 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
mark how exactly are you doing the math to convert from drag to watts?

A CdA is also given in the presentation: .0045.
If you go to analytic cycling you can plug that into the calculator with nominal values: 40k/hr, .0035-.004Crr, 80kg, etc and get a watt savings of around 3.5-4W.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
But the sum total of choosing the best frame, best tires, best wheels, best skewers, best tire pressure - it sure might.

Curiously...what are the best skewers? That is one piece of equipment that I haven't changed yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
zipp has some nice ones that still lever on like a normal skewers.

then there are all kinds of bolt on ones

One of the guys I ride with occasionally has an aluminum SC and the Bontrager QR's look pretty nice. Tuck in nicely behind the fork or rear dropout. I'm not much of a Trek fan, but I could be tempted to pick those up.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
zipp has some nice ones that still lever on like a normal skewers.

then there are all kinds of bolt on ones

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/...ers-7889.1885.0.html

Excellent skewers at a good price.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark,

I found some early wind tunnel data that might have been the source for the Col de la Tipping Point presentation all those years ago, and it generally agrees with the recent wind tunnel data shown in the S5 White Paper. Basically, despite both the R3sl and the Soloist Carbon changing a few design details over the last few years, the wind tunnel difference is still about the same, a little over 100 grams difference in drag force, or roughly 0.009 CdA. This is about twice the 0.0045 CdA that was claimed in Col de la Tipping Point, which of course is the point of your question: what’s different now?

What’s different now is we’re presenting wind tunnel data directly, where in Col de la Tipping Point the question was about aero versus weight as a bigger question. From slide 9: “The R-series is actually a little more aero than the average round-tube frame, so we’re understating the S-series advantage a bit.” In fact we cut the advantage in half, to account for drafting and other factors in order to be conservative. In the S5 White Paper, we’ve explicitly separated drafting and non-drafting into separate data sets, and with all the aero testing we’ve accumulated over the intervening years we’re more confident in the applicability of the data and its real world applicability (e.g. good power meter testing confirms wind tunnel data). Each rider can estimate their own advantage based on how the data best describes their riding situation.

I think this explains the apparent difference you asked about, but if I can provide more background or details that might help explain better please ask.

Thanks,

Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi Mark,

I found some early wind tunnel data that might have been the source for the Col de la Tipping Point presentation all those years ago, and it generally agrees with the recent wind tunnel data shown in the S5 White Paper. Basically, despite both the R3sl and the Soloist Carbon changing a few design details over the last few years, the wind tunnel difference is still about the same, a little over 100 grams difference in drag force, or roughly 0.009 CdA. This is about twice the 0.0045 CdA that was claimed in Col de la Tipping Point, which of course is the point of your question: what’s different now?

Aaaah...back when the original "Col" presentation came out, the drag difference was listed as ".009 Cw" and I recall asking Gerard at the time what "Cw" represented...without really getting a firm answer...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=col%20cw;#1351951

Sounds to me like that just should have been ".009 m^2"...and that the 50% "derating" undertaken on the drag value in the revised "Col" presentation wasn't pointed out.

I've often said I thought that presentation "understated" things a bit ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [dawgcatching] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstly, I have nothing against Cervelo road bikes---I've never owned one (their head tubes are too long for me), but I have quite a few friends that do & all seem to like them.

However, debating whether the S5 is actually 9-32 watts faster than other frames, insofar as road racing is concerned, is beyond stupid, and its no wonder that this inane conversation is occurring on a triathlete website. I'm not meaning to be insulting/condescending (though I'm sure I'm coming across as such), but the amount of MEANINGFUL watts/time this frame can/might save someone during a road race, much less a crit, is absolutely insignificant and anyone who lays out $5900 for this frame believing that its going to gain them 9-32 watts in a bike race is a complete tool.

Its been touched on by a few of the posters here, but the sheer number of variables that affect a bike race are impossible to to predict, much less negate....especially visa vie a watt or two, saved here or there. Races have hills. Races can have tricky descents. Crits have lots & lots of corners. Races have MILES of coasting......I'm MUCH more interested in a bike frame that fits, that corners like its on rails, that I have absolute confidence in on descents, that climbs like a banshee, yet is comfortable for 4+ hour days in the saddle. Cervelo's focus on aerodynamics & "watts saved" addresses none of these issues.

Prove to me that this bike is the equivalent of 10 watts faster on a 1k 5% grade uphill attack & I'll buy one. Ditto for a 8 mile uphill TT on 6% grade. Prove to me that this bike will make give me the equivalent of 9-32 extra watts in a crit than my Parlee & I'll buy one. Cervelo can't, so they put out these ridiculous White Papers talking about aerodynamics.

Great marketing by Cervelo though. I'm sure that they'll sell a ton of these frames to the newbies. PT Barnum was right.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
Quote:
Just as a untalented athlete can get quite a bit better with work ethic and training

Doesn't seem to be working for you. How are you doing on that 2:09:59 challenge.... Oh, wait you actually have to train. You are missing that part

The point I was trying to make was people put 2 much emphasis in buying equipment to save a watt here or there when they should just go out and train. People don't win or lose a stage at the TDF b/c or the areoness of a road bike, despite what the marketing people tell you.

DO you know how to tell when someone has lost an argument? They begin insulting the person they are arguing with.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Firstly, I have nothing against Cervelo road bikes---I've never owned one (their head tubes are too long for me), but I have quite a few friends that do & all seem to like them.

However, debating whether the S5 is actually 9-32 watts faster than other frames, insofar as road racing is concerned, is beyond stupid, and its no wonder that this inane conversation is occurring on a triathlete website. I'm not meaning to be insulting/condescending (though I'm sure I'm coming across as such), but the amount of MEANINGFUL watts/time this frame can/might save someone during a road race, much less a crit, is absolutely insignificant and anyone who lays out $5900 for this frame believing that its going to gain them 9-32 watts in a bike race is a complete tool.

Its been touched on by a few of the posters here, but the sheer number of variables that affect a bike race are impossible to to predict, much less negate....especially visa vie a watt or two, saved here or there. Races have hills. Races can have tricky descents. Crits have lots & lots of corners. Races have MILES of coasting......I'm MUCH more interested in a bike frame that fits, that corners like its on rails, that I have absolute confidence in on descents, that climbs like a banshee, yet is comfortable for 4+ hour days in the saddle. Cervelo's focus on aerodynamics & "watts saved" addresses none of these issues.

Prove to me that this bike is the equivalent of 10 watts faster on a 1k 5% grade uphill attack & I'll buy one. Ditto for a 8 mile uphill TT on 6% grade. Prove to me that this bike will make give me the equivalent of 9-32 extra watts in a crit than my Parlee & I'll buy one. Cervelo can't, so they put out these ridiculous White Papers talking about aerodynamics.

Great marketing by Cervelo though. I'm sure that they'll sell a ton of these frames to the newbies. PT Barnum was right.

Logic and physics aren't you're strong suits, huh?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you explain how the 'benefit while drafting' has gone from 50% to 70% solo benefit?

You guys are lucky you aren't audited by a notified body :)

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Last edited by: msuguy512: Jul 7, 11 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:

Its been touched on by a few of the posters here, but the sheer number of variables that affect a bike race are impossible to to predict, much less negate....especially visa vie a watt or two, saved here or there. Races have hills. Races can have tricky descents. Crits have lots & lots of corners. Races have MILES of coasting......

Do you believe that there are tires/tubes that can save you a watt or two (or three or four) compared to a different set of tires/tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does your fefe get hurt everytime someone says something negative about Cervelo?

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
msuguy512 wrote:
Can you explain how the 'benefit while drafting' has gone from 50% to 70% solo benefit?

You guys are lucky you aren't audited by a notified body :)

I think he said above that the newer numbers reflect their higher confidence based on studies/measurements in the intervening years. Not as confident = higher "factor of safety" in the estimate. Damon stated that the 50% derating was a conservative one. Obviously, the reduction of the advantage by 30% is a less conservative assumption...but it does better match the drag savings typically quoted for riding in a pack IIRC.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom is definitely letting his Cervelo Flag Fly on this one... but, you know what? He's right.

Frames don't win races, riders do. But those miles of coasting get a little longer if you have a frame that cheats the wind. If you save a few watts here and there with savvy equipment choices that uphill finish gets slightly faster. The magnitude of the difference between frames may be immaterial, but if you add a number of them together (position, tires, tubes, wheels, frame, bars, helmet, etc...) it starts to add up. Suddenly that 8th place finish can become a top 5 finish. Or losing by a wheel can become winning by a wheel.

If the S5 fits you (and that's a big if, given Cervelo's geometry choice) then you might as well ride a bike that gives you the best possible chance of maximizing your potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Why does your fefe get hurt everytime someone says something negative about Cervelo?

It has nothing to do with Cervelo. It has to do with logic and physics...and you didn't answer my question.

Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone really think a frame saves 9 watts? [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bpq wrote:
Tom is definitely letting his Cervelo Flag Fly on this one... but, you know what? He's right.

Frames don't win races, riders do. But those miles of coasting get a little longer if you have a frame that cheats the wind. If you save a few watts here and there with savvy equipment choices that uphill finish gets slightly faster. The magnitude of the difference between frames may be immaterial, but if you add a number of them together (position, tires, tubes, wheels, frame, bars, helmet, etc...) it starts to add up. Suddenly that 8th place finish can become a top 5 finish. Or losing by a wheel can become winning by a wheel.

If the S5 fits you (and that's a big if, given Cervelo's geometry choice) then you might as well ride a bike that gives you the best possible chance of maximizing your potential.

I had a road race that I finished 2nd in where I was dropped on the "selection" hill and had to chase back on to the lead group on the long (~7 miles) generally downhill run-in to the finish. Judging by the number of riders I blew past (and ended up pulling up to the lead group) on that leg, I'm thinking that some of my equipment choices (frame being one of them) aided in me actually getting a podium finish instead of straggling in behind the group (as did some folks who crested just behind me...and some who I passed on the way in!)

As I've said before, going fast on the bike (for a given power) is usually not the result of any one big thing, but a conglomeration of small things, which actually seem insignificant when taken in isolation. It's that simple...

Quote Reply

Prev Next