Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the intel. Was hoping the race would be in the surrounding Lake Jordan area similar to the old Duke 1/2. Like James said Set-Up posted earlier in the year a hypothetical question for a half in the Charlotte area either in the fall or the spring. I am hoping the 70.3 race in Raliegh does not change the plans for a potential Charlotte race. It may be the minority opinion but a Set-Up Half IM would be more attractive to me then a 70.3 point to point race with a downtown finish.

Regarding the heat, yes us NC-ers must be wilting flowers (-: White Lake has been a scorcher, but what makes it more challenging is that the race is early May and we have not had hot days to train to acclimate. In any event the heat is the same for everyone and i have had both good for me and poor for me races there.

There also was talk of a full IM in South Carolina? Is that now dead?

Best,
Rockfish
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldFart wrote:
ZackC. wrote:
I feel ya on that. I've missed many a tailgate to train and race but I got it pretty well balanced by Senior year. Having a car helps for sure. I used to train after class and ride my beater bike to Carter Finley.

June in Raleigh will be a beast though. Let's hope it starts at 6...

Hmm guessing it will not start at 6am according to the following which I copy and pasted from another post on another site.

"A race we listed is on the city council agenda for August 7, 2012 meeting and so was this........

Raleigh City Limits Vicinity
Brian Myrick, representing World Triathlon Corporation, requests permission to hold a race on Sunday, June 2, 2013, from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m."

So where exactly are the city limits? With a swim "out of town" and then biking into Raleigh, they would likely only hit the city limits at 9am (possibly I don't know the area that well). So it could still start at 7....
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raleigh city limits start at Lake Wheeler Road and Tryon Road which is about 4 miles from Lake Wheeler itself.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That isn't where the swim is being held
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:

I see, you think that the swim will be at Vista Point on Lake Jordan (I wonder why there? That location will require cyclist to crossing or ride on US64 -- I'm assuming cross 64 and continue on Big Woods.) Well, if that's the case, it would be 45+ miles to where the Raleigh city council map picked up on Lake Wheeler Road.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmkizer wrote:
M~ wrote:

I see, you think that the swim will be at Vista Point on Lake Jordan (I wonder why there? That location will require cyclist to crossing or ride on US64 -- I'm assuming cross 64 and continue on Big Woods.) Well, if that's the case, it would be 45+ miles to where the Raleigh city council map picked up on Lake Wheeler Road.

Looks like leaving Jordan Lake and biking out Farrington would be a more direct route into downtown Raleigh.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
jmkizer wrote:
M~ wrote:

Looks like leaving Jordan Lake and biking out Farrington would be a more direct route into downtown Raleigh.

Right, cross US 64 to Big Woods and turn right on Lystra to Farrington/Beaver Creek. Then some sort of route involving Old 1 and/or Friendship. Something trough Apex to 1010 and Penny Road maybe? That seems to be the most bike friendly route to get from Vista Point to Lake Wheeler.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for Raleigh 70.3 registration .... I'm not seeing anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [ChuckHappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope this happens. I know M-dot was trying to do a race around the Charlotte area(Lake Norman) but rumor was an agreement could not be reached on some of the logistics.

Would love to see a half in Raleigh. Especially if the swim is in Jordan and a finish line is downtown. I am guessing the bike would go out into Green Level then work it's way through Apex and Cary over into Raleigh. Some decent roads out there!

Wonder if the run course will be similar to the City of Oaks course.

-------------------------------------------------------
Check out {re}vici Upscale Casual Triathlon Apparel
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [{re}viciTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ironmanraleigh.com/

It isn't up yet, but I bet it will be.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [ChuckHappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChuckHappy wrote:
Looking for Raleigh 70.3 registration .... I'm not seeing anything.

Just wait for the press release. Then registration should open.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"2013 IRONMAN 70.3 Raleigh Registration opens on August 31, 2012 and noon (EST)."
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [CUBuffFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, looks like my source at least got the announcement data correct. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Raleigh and I like the courses overall. It will be a little hilly at the turnaround of the run but will be basically down hill the last couple of miles of the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yee Haw!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally a race where I practically live on-course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
link is active now!
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [thekidd142] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thekidd142 wrote:

What do you think of the point to point aspect? Will it be a pain or easy? What's the grade of the bike hills? It looks like some decent elevation gain. Nice to have another 70.3 within driving distance..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea or guesses about race day logistics? To/from swim/bike start and finish/etc? Looks like lots of shuttle buses/busing will be involved...
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [triDVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably mandatory transition check the night before. like B2B. No biggie. I think it takes a little stress off and forces you to get your sh!t together early.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [triDVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The parking at Vista Point will NOT be sufficient. So they will have to provide buses from downtown to the swim start. The bike will be nice with rolling hills. If I read the FAQ section correctly, the roads will be blocked for traffic.

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [Josh_Dixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh_Dixon wrote:
probably mandatory transition check the night before. like B2B. No biggie. I think it takes a little stress off and forces you to get your sh!t together early.

+1.

Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
masterslacker wrote:
thekidd142 wrote:

What do you think of the point to point aspect? Will it be a pain or easy? What's the grade of the bike hills? It looks like some decent elevation gain. Nice to have another 70.3 within driving distance..

I think that the bike course looks really good. I think they are saying ~1,200ft of climbing over the course...that's not bad at all. Point to point will also be so much better than loops. The run course is tough around the turn around (Art Museum) but will be nice coming back. Finally, with the finish where it is...there is a lot of options for after race beer drinking at some quality places (Busy Bee, Raleigh Times, Flying Saucer, Brewmasters, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh NC Folks [DougRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougRob wrote:
The parking at Vista Point will NOT be sufficient. So they will have to provide buses from downtown to the swim start. The bike will be nice with rolling hills. If I read the FAQ section correctly, the roads will be blocked for traffic.

I wouldn't count on closed roads. I think they are just trying to discourage vehicular traffic on the bike route by what they wrote.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely!

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply

Prev Next