Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Watched AB and LS’s battle at one of the 70.3 races and LS was 33 sec behind overall. He ran 2-3 min faster than AB. Not sure what’s going to be LS’s strategy against ITU guys. “

LS running 2-3 mins faster than AB while LOOSING by 33 seconds means absolutely nothing. AB and Frodo run as fast as they need to win, that’s it. Same with the bike. There is a reason Lionel has never won a major championship. He works as hard or harder than anyone, but to this point he has proven he is not as good as the best in championship races, when everybody is in their best shape. I would be very surprised if Lionel makes up much more than a minute on the leaders in the bike, and given that I am pretty sure he has never run sub 1:10 in a legitimate 13.1 in a 70.3, and there are several in this field who have...game over!
LS is a great personality, and fun to follow, but IMO possibly the most over rated triathlete (but certainly friggin good!)
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IntenseOne wrote:
“Watched AB and LS’s battle at one of the 70.3 races and LS was 33 sec behind overall. He ran 2-3 min faster than AB. Not sure what’s going to be LS’s strategy against ITU guys. “

LS running 2-3 mins faster than AB while LOOSING by 33 seconds means absolutely nothing. AB and Frodo run as fast as they need to win, that’s it. Same with the bike. There is a reason Lionel has never won a major championship. He works as hard or harder than anyone, but to this point he has proven he is not as good as the best in championship races, when everybody is in their best shape. I would be very surprised if Lionel makes up much more than a minute on the leaders in the bike, and given that I am pretty sure he has never run sub 1:10 in a legitimate 13.1 in a 70.3, and there are several in this field who have...game over!
LS is a great personality, and fun to follow, but IMO possibly the most over rated triathlete (but certainly friggin good!)

I am certainly not a member of the Lionel cult but I would change "most over rated" to "most over hyped",There is a subtle difference but it makes a difference as Lionel is seriously talented and has earned respect, if tempered by his Mad Scientist lunacy.I remember years ago I had the the flaming torch and pitchfork crowd here on ST baying for my blood when I called Des Ficker the most over hyped female triathlete on ST.She was a marketers dream who never quite made that leap to the greatness associated with winning "A Major".The maddening crowd here failed to make the distinction between over rated and over hyped. Seriously you would have thought I had kicked a puppy or something. :-)

I am sure somebody is going to tell you that Lionel won the ITU Long Course Worlds and the Challenge "Championship" but we all know that nobody really counts the ITU LC race as anything but a novelty and the Challenge Samorin race is much the same. This Daytona race would never have the hype it does today if COVID hadn't screwed up everyones race calendar and a shitload of money wasn't being tossed around.I hope tomorrows races live up to the hype and it is the start of something great for the sport.
Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Dec 5, 20 22:58
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Kienle predicted Ali winning when he's racing him is just mental!

Sebastian looks scarily pasty white to me in his pre-race interview and presentation. Perhaps he’s a bit under the weather at this time?

I doubt it, he wouldn't be racing then under the current climate!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7/2 seems like fantastic odds for betting on Holly. I personally think it's crazy not to think she's the heavy favorite. If I was in a state where it was a little easier to place a bet online I'd stake $20 on her.
5/1 for Gustav also seems great, though I'm less sure on that one.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
7/2 seems like fantastic odds for betting on Holly. I personally think it's crazy not to think she's the heavy favorite. If I was in a state where it was a little easier to place a bet online I'd stake $20 on her.
5/1 for Gustav also seems great, though I'm less sure on that one.

The money to be made is on the EW bets, I only need one of my bets to come in to cover my outlay, then if any of the others come in its all profit, I used to make a killing on ITU bookies don't know Triathlon too well.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to go all in on Nicola Spirig, but she said she's not as peak fitness - nevertheless, I still see her on the podium:

Holly Lawrence gets away on the swim, holds it on the bike, can't quite get caught on the run by

Nicola Spirig
Anne Haug

(emotional picks: Paula Findlay and Rachel McBride)

For the men,

Gustave Iden late in the run edges out
Alistair Brownlee
Javier Gomez

(emotional picks: Cody Beals and Lionel Sanders)

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so i put 5 euro on spirig @ 6 1
and got a 10 free euro bed on stimpson 12 1
and 10 euro free bet on lawrance 3.5
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why haven't they for coach Barry as a pundit? Never heard of the bloke.

Very slick production so far.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincent Luis for the win. He will win the Olympics next year too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katrina Matthews out of the race. Someone just lost a lot of money.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [Guiden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can confirm. Gustav Iden knows what Gustav Iden should do.

post of the year?
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [raulsan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raulsan wrote:
Quote:

post of the year?

It's gotta be top 5 at least. He did indeed, know what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
sciguy wrote:
Sebastian looks scarily pasty white to me in his pre-race interview and presentation. Perhaps he’s a bit under the weather at this time?

It seems @sciguy hit the nail on the head. Kienle wrote after the race that he had caught a cold during race week (two covid tests came back negative). The DNF was due to injury, but good “diagnosis” nonetheless!

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Jackets wrote:
sciguy wrote:

It seems @sciguy hit the nail on the head. Kienle wrote after the race that he had caught a cold during race week (two covid tests came back negative). The DNF was due to injury, but good “diagnosis” nonetheless!

Yeah that is actully really well spotted! Too bad as he had a really good swim!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [Guiden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
CVH1296 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
CVH1296 wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it’s always funny to see when AG athletes chime in on Strava to tell the pros they’re doing it wrong. From Gustav Iden’s last few workouts posted...

“Wow. Seems like an intense ride for a taper week?”

“Odd taper hope that works out for u Sunday”

There are bad apples who make pros shy away from the public, including fans who would provide positive interactions for pros. If you're a pro, there is no scenario where these comments are net-positive, so why do people post it? I wouldn't share my workouts either with know-it-alls and trolls getting in your head.

If you're a fan, why are you casting doubt on your guy? If you're a troll, why not live life doing something more productive?

I don’t think it’ll really cast any doubt on guys like Iden but rather just found it amusing... Think it’s safe to say it’s pretty certain Gustav Iden knows better on what Gustav Iden should be doing race week than a random AG guy.

Aside from any of this, very excited just like most to be watching this on Sunday. Should be some outstanding racing.

I want a shirt with this printed on it please!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeartRN wrote:
raulsan wrote:
Quote:

post of the year?

It's gotta be top 5 at least. He did indeed, know what to do.

More like top 5 ever. That’s legendary status to come post that on here and then go out and kick the shit out of the field.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guiden wrote:
CVH1296 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
CVH1296 wrote:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but it’s always funny to see when AG athletes chime in on Strava to tell the pros they’re doing it wrong. From Gustav Iden’s last few workouts posted...

“Wow. Seems like an intense ride for a taper week?”

“Odd taper hope that works out for u Sunday”

There are bad apples who make pros shy away from the public, including fans who would provide positive interactions for pros. If you're a pro, there is no scenario where these comments are net-positive, so why do people post it? I wouldn't share my workouts either with know-it-alls and trolls getting in your head.

If you're a fan, why are you casting doubt on your guy? If you're a troll, why not live life doing something more productive?

I don’t think it’ll really cast any doubt on guys like Iden but rather just found it amusing... Think it’s safe to say it’s pretty certain Gustav Iden knows better on what Gustav Iden should be doing race week than a random AG guy.

Aside from any of this, very excited just like most to be watching this on Sunday. Should be some outstanding racing.

Before the race when you said you confirm you know what Gustav needs to know, I asked you if Alistair knew what he needed to do. Looks like Gustav had a better idea of himself than Alistair!
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanna know how many people lost a bunch of money betting on Ali Brownlee making the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but odds on ali were crap. and don't forget the bookmakers were also taking paula at 12:1, which would've been a very smart bet!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point, I feel bad for the people who put money down on Lisa Norden, not knowing she was injured. Definitely feel worse for Norden herself though. Kinda shitty putting the camera in her face and trying to have a conversation with her about why she's walking when she was kind of a favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
I've done Laura Phillipp to win, EW on Paula Findlay, Jodie Stimpson and Nicola Spirig.

EW on Gomez and Jonny Brownlee.

I have no problem reposting the bets I put on, the Paula Findlay EW bet more than covered the losses on all the rest, not much profit but having a bit of money on sport always makes it more exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Jackets wrote:
I've done Laura Phillipp to win, EW on Paula Findlay, Jodie Stimpson and Nicola Spirig.

EW on Gomez and Jonny Brownlee.

I have no problem reposting the bets I put on, the Paula Findlay EW bet more than covered the losses on all the rest, not much profit but having a bit of money on sport always makes it more exciting.

Which site do you use out of interest?

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [Grantbot21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grantbot21 wrote:
More like top 5 ever. That’s legendary status to come post that on here and then go out and kick the shit out of the field.

I saw his interview. He said he struggled on the run but caffeine kicked in so we was able to keep running.
I watched the coverage like 3 times already and no clue where he struggled. He had a game face on and was very consistent.
LS and other guys even couldn't walk well after crossing the finish line but Iden looked fresh. I was like WTH??????
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I say Lionel and Sam 4min back on swim, but they do 31mph on the bike and come off 3+ min ahead of the ITU boys. If AB is closer, he’ll blow up on the run. Rudy will hit the run with them. Sam can run sub 5:20’s off that bike.

Picks:

Sam
Rudy
AB
Lionel
Iden

Looking back through this thread this looks like one of the best predictions though order is flipped. getting 4 of the top 6 right is definitely impressive though. No one expected Matt Hanson or George Goodwin to be in the mix and I think everyone expected AB to be up there but cant control injuries unfortunately
Quote Reply
Re: PTO 2020 Championship at Challenge Daytona - Your Favorites [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was actually remarkable was how smooth Paula and him looked they didn’t look like they were pushing. It shows you where they were on their fitness.

Also just remembered this is like what Gomez said when he won in Sydney, I think, after he wrecked on a rainy bike course. He said something like well I ran 4:40 miles to catch back up and then got a breather and took it easy at 5:10/mile. It was in Km but you get the point. They’re just in a different world when it comes to this stuff and what easy and struggling are.
Last edited by: Grantbot21: Dec 8, 20 10:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next