Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I had narrow feet, I find Giro shoes just so narrow through the toe box.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
dale3 wrote:
I wear a size 48 in the Giro's as well as Shimano TR9's if that helps.

I was also going to ask about sizing. I wear a 45 in the TR9 and was considering getting a pair of the Empires. How are they in terms of width? I had some Pearl Izumis that were very snug a few years back, but the TR9 feels much better for what my wife calls my 'fat' (wide) feet.

On a different note, what's the main difference (or differences) between the Empire SLX and the ACC - weight?? The ACC is currently $137 on Amazon.

Nate - I also wear a 45 in Shimano. I tried a pair of 45.5 in the Giro SLX's and they were pretty close to the 45 Shimano, but narrower, and possibly a tiny bit less volume in the front. A 46 might have been better for me..

I'd try 45.5. If you are in the US and ordering from a place that offers free returns, then order a couple sizes!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That's a good idea - with Amazon Prime returns shouldn't be an issue.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a 45.5 in Shimano and PI and bought a 45.5 in the ACC. The ACC fits a bit narrower and a tad shorter. I might be able to get away with a 46 but I also don't mind since I race without socks so that frees up some of the room in the front of the shoe.

For me, the hardest part has been getting the correct tightness for the elastic laces. I have them a bit "loose" now in that my heel moves if I am trying to walk but when I am on the bike the foot stays put. I will be taking them out of the road, finally!, this weekend and will see how they do there.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered the Empire ACC, some laces and new Speedplay walkable/aero cleats - all for under $200. Should gain me a little 'free speed' over my Shimano TR9's. Think I'll make the Empire's my race day shoes and still train in the TR9.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition, Wiggins or someone used them to set the hour record on the track.

Indeed. Brad Wiggins wore a pair of Giro SLX when he broke the hour record. It was the shoes that did it for him! :)

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...ecord-success-175720

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Apr 12, 17 11:17
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That tongue surely cost him..haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really do like them. I almost want to get another pair for day to day cycling but then I will inevitable pick one pair and wear them more. I like my PI Pro Leader road shoes so I have others I can switch to. Let's hope we can all save ourselves some watts! (Unless you are racing against me then wear whatever bulky shoes you used to wear!)

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as another point of view - I have long narrow feet. Most shoes are too wide for me. I wear 45.5 Sidis in the medium width and 46 sidis in narrow. Shimano and Bont 45s fit reasonably well also. I bought 45.5 Empire ACCs and they are too spacious. Would need to wear a second set of inserts and thick socks. I just ordered a pair in 44.5 and expect them to fit better.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi all -

First - Thanks Thomas!

Second - I ordered a bunch of sizes with Amazon to make sure I got the right ones. They are smaller - 41,41.5,42 EU. Depending on which ones fit I'll post on the classifieds if you want them but missed a deal.

Thanks,
Todd
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really wish someone did a similar shoe in women's sizes. Smallest Garneau or Giro seems to go is 39 in a performance laced shoe. Sigh.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Really wish someone did a similar shoe in women's sizes. Smallest Garneau or Giro seems to go is 39 in a performance laced shoe. Sigh.

What size are you, my old roommate has tiny tiny feet and she got them to work.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [toddm72478] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toddm72478 wrote:
Hi all -

First - Thanks Thomas!

Second - I ordered a bunch of sizes with Amazon to make sure I got the right ones. They are smaller - 41,41.5,42 EU. Depending on which ones fit I'll post on the classifieds if you want them but missed a deal.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd, I did the same thing when I first bought the shoes. And you are of course more than welcome.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 38 in Garneau women's shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, good to know!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI...Performance Bike has a $25 off $100 deal going on right now that applies to these shoes. I just paid $160 total (shipped to my local store free). Smoking deal! I hope the sizing is right.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [miketri7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
miketri7 wrote:
FYI...Performance Bike has a $25 off $100 deal going on right now that applies to these shoes. I just paid $160 total (shipped to my local store free). Smoking deal! I hope the sizing is right.

Wow! Great tip.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [miketri7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer, the women's version aren't on sale and are backordered. Thanks for the heads up, though. FYI re. size, the sizing chart on Performance Bike is really detailed -- if you know your size in another brand, they've got a matrix showing the equivalent size in Giro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miketri7 wrote:

Just pulled the trigger on this. Got the slx for 149.99 and the acc for 113.99. Two different sizes. Hopefully one fits right.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TG, do these guys stretch out a bit after a while? I am betweena 43.5 and 44. The 43.5 has a little rub that may make 112 miles uncomfortable : ( Great find though, love the weight and look!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Performance bike has 20% off today. Get them while they last!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
TG, do these guys stretch out a bit after a while? I am betweena 43.5 and 44. The 43.5 has a little rub that may make 112 miles uncomfortable : ( Great find though, love the weight and look!

I think any shoe stretches out a bit. Maybe not so much in the toe box at the very front but in the general width yes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's days like this where I wish I was living in the USA.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a pair of shoes it's so not worth it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next