Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
For a pair of shoes it's so not worth it.

Yeah I would never spend that on a pair of shes off the shelf. Maybe if somebody was molding them to my feet for a personalized fit but that's about it. And even then it would have been a pretty big gift to myself to justify that.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surroundhound wrote:
Really wish someone did a similar shoe in women's sizes. Smallest Garneau or Giro seems to go is 39 in a performance laced shoe. Sigh.

Performance bike has these on sale right now from Garneau:

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1192576_-1_400097__400097

Hopefully once I post this and read onwards I'm not duplicating another post!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
Just as another point of view - I have long narrow feet. Most shoes are too wide for me. I wear 45.5 Sidis in the medium width and 46 sidis in narrow. Shimano and Bont 45s fit reasonably well also. I bought 45.5 Empire ACCs and they are too spacious. Would need to wear a second set of inserts and thick socks. I just ordered a pair in 44.5 and expect them to fit better.

Strange, I ordered the 44.5 which is what I always wear and was my proper fit according to the Giro fit chart, and they were extremely too tight. Sent them back and I have a pair of 45's and 45.5's on the way to see which one fits better.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:
Just as another point of view - I have long narrow feet. Most shoes are too wide for me. I wear 45.5 Sidis in the medium width and 46 sidis in narrow. Shimano and Bont 45s fit reasonably well also. I bought 45.5 Empire ACCs and they are too spacious. Would need to wear a second set of inserts and thick socks. I just ordered a pair in 44.5 and expect them to fit better.

Strange, I ordered the 44.5 which is what I always wear and was my proper fit according to the Giro fit chart, and they were extremely too tight. Sent them back and I have a pair of 45's and 45.5's on the way to see which one fits better.

I wear 45.5 in Specialized/Shimano/Pearl/Giro. Ordered a 45.5 and they fit perfectly. Feet are neither narrow nor wide, but apparently low-volume (s-works trivet didn't work for me. BOA bottomed out before they were snug).

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how this fits compared to the Mavic Cosmics?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this may sound stupid....but how do you wear these in a tri with laces? how are you leaving these clipped in and putting them on whilst riding?!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhh thanks will have to get my handyman on
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
this may sound stupid....but how do you wear these in a tri with laces? how are you leaving these clipped in and putting them on whilst riding?!

Regardless of what you end up with. You are going to have to practice getting on and off as well. I still practice for 10-15 before every race. Usually practice 5-10x doing flying mounts the morning before.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
surroundhound wrote:
Really wish someone did a similar shoe in women's sizes. Smallest Garneau or Giro seems to go is 39 in a performance laced shoe. Sigh.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1192576_-1_400097__400097

Brent
Thanks for the tip, Brent! Weird, this model doesn't appear on Garneau's website. The price is certainly right at Performance Bike!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a pair myself, need to try it out! They are the Performance bike exclusive - so they got a new name i guess!

Hope you enjoy them if you get them. I figured even if I don't I can use them on the trainer but I have a feeling I'm going to love this idea for long distance racing!

Brent

surroundhound wrote:
dfru wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Brent

Thanks for the tip, Brent! Weird, this model doesn't appear on Garneau's website. The price is certainly right at Performance Bike!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got mine in, but don't think they are going to work. Just not comfortable on my foot.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Got mine in, but don't think they are going to work. Just not comfortable on my foot.

What size did you end up getting Jack? I bought a 43 but am wondering if a 42.5 might work better.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the Garneau? Obviously if they don't fit right they won't work - can't force something to work, but my foot is pretty "normal" and fit a lot of shoes.

Thomas - don't know if you saw any of Jesse Thomas's pics from Peru but he's graduated to the Giros as well!

Brent

JackStraw13 wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

To narrow for your feet???

No, just dont feel right. the only shoe i have ever worn are PI octane tri fly IV. they are 5 years old now, and i guess i was expecting the giros to feel just as good or better. maybe they would when they are broken in, but they just dont feel right. i wear a 44.5 in the PI. i ordered the slx in a 44 and the acc in the 44.5. the slx was definitely too small. the acc might be a touch too big, the heel was slipping a little bit, but again just something about the way they fit on my foot. i was hoping they would work, because i would love to save a few watts on the bike. any suggestions for another shoe that would be more aero than the PI?

Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tylerwal wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

fwiw, My 44.5 Empire ACCs came in. The left foot is a perfect fit, right foot is a little longerr and the big toe is hitting th etoe box - although there is plenty of room laterally. I intend to play around with inserts a bit and may take a hammer to the reinforced section of the toe box to create a little bit of extra room for my big toe. 45 would probably be a good fit but I can make the 44.5s fit.

I intend to use these for TTs - so unlikely to spend more than an hour in them.

In line with most sizing charts - the sidis tend to run about half a size larger than the empire ACCs. Don't know if the empire SLXs fit identically or not. The empire ACCs seem to be identical to Shimano or Bont sizing.

I have long narrow feet. Front of foot is very low volume (long toes). Arch area and midfoot is normal. So my fit is always a bit weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
JackStraw13 wrote:

To narrow for your feet???

No, just dont feel right. the only shoe i have ever worn are PI octane tri fly IV. they are 5 years old now, and i guess i was expecting the giros to feel just as good or better. maybe they would when they are broken in, but they just dont feel right. i wear a 44.5 in the PI. i ordered the slx in a 44 and the acc in the 44.5. the slx was definitely too small. the acc might be a touch too big, the heel was slipping a little bit, but again just something about the way they fit on my foot. i was hoping they would work, because i would love to save a few watts on the bike. any suggestions for another shoe that would be more aero than the PI?

Anything without straps and buckles. Frankly, it is like anything, use them for racing only or sparingly in general. Training in what is comfortable. Right now I am training in big heavy mtb shoes without carbon soles. I like it because I can get out and walk around easily. Same reason I don't suggest training on a rigid disc. Somethings are for training, some for racing. Same with aero helmets for that matter.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted a WTT thread in the Classifieds but on the off chance anybody bought a Size 42.5 and needs a Size 43, I'd be interested in a trade. The 43's are a little long on me. I bought the white ones with black writing but will take any color if someone has a new pair to trade. They are still brand new and I've only taken 1 shoe out of the box to try it on.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up the cheaper pair, the ACC, in size 43.5, same as my specialized shoes.

They're narrower in the forefoot than the specialized but fit well in terms of length. I haven't ridden them yet but I think with a little work they should be just fine. I had a similar problem with a pair of shimano shoes and just stuffed wet newspaper in them, stuck them in the freezer and that tends to stretch out the material. If that doesn't work I might consult a shoesmith and look at getting them punched out. I did this before with hockey skates. It's not the best thing to do since you have a risk of separating the upper/sole of the shoe but it's worth a shot.

I was thinking about getting the MTB version of the empires, if I do I'll probably jump up to size 44. Sometimes I like throwing on an extra pair of socks for CX and fall/winter riding.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any experience with Giro's 60 day fit guarantee?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for looking out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Brent
Bit the bullet and ordered a pair. For $50 (well, about $90 CAD once it's shipped to my door) I'm happy to take a crack at this shoe hack and see how it goes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got mine today. I'm VERY impressed, super simple but very comfortable. Now to get to cutting!

Hope they fit well. I'm excited for this little experiment!

Brent

surroundhound wrote:
dfru wrote:
surroundhound wrote:

Brent

Bit the bullet and ordered a pair. For $50 (well, about $90 CAD once it's shipped to my door) I'm happy to take a crack at this shoe hack and see how it goes.

Quote Reply

Prev Next