Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've an idea how the sizing goes vs Spec Sub 6?
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [TriZen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of the Giro ACC and cut out a portion of the tongue, sewing the remaining part in place. I also added some Gorilla Tape on the inside. First ride will be on Saturday.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Gorilla tape on the inside, where exactly? running down the seam? Just for additional support or some other reason? Very cool btw.

I put the Gorilla Tape overlapping the tongue and the inside of the shoe. Probably not needed, but I didn't want my toes catching part of the tongue as I was getting in at T1. Will use them for some training rides, including this weekend, to see if the tape holds up.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps, this shoe could be a good alternative? Price is in Canadian dollars and seems reasonable in comparison.

https://garneau.com/ca/en/signature-84-cycling-shoes-c
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LeftLaneSports is selling Vitorria 1976 Classic Carbon (Very similar to Giro Empire) for $120.

Have a code going on right now to get $25 off (SAVE25).

Ordered a pair for $95 with free shipping. Not too shabby.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: May 2, 17 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:

Ray Maker, is that you?

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
LeftLaneSports is selling Vitorria 1976 Classic Carbon (Very similar to Giro Empire) for $120.

Have a code going on right now to get $25 off (SAVE25).

Except according to some numbers they weigh 369 grams per shoe (for 42). Those are tanks. At 170 grams per SLX that is crazy a difference. You wonder how much extra material there is there besides just denser material. How much does that extra material expand the size of the shoe and thus the aero drag? If people want a cheap option the $95 LA84 might be a better option

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So have these shoes been in the wind tunnel beside Thomas doing it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update:

I tried a pair of slx after the used bont zero + I found were a tiny bit too small. Long story short, I am taking back the slx and will search out a pair of bont zero + in the right size or just get them new. The bonts are just on another level. They are $$$ but I know after wearing the slx a few days, I would not be happy knowing there is a shoe that is almost as light, feel a lot better, a bit wider (even in the regular fit size), lower stack height, and just seem to be better quality overall. Bont has recently listed a "new" 2017 zero + but the weight is not listed. I sent an email to see if they are even lighter.

Just a roadie's opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimac2 wrote:
So have these shoes been in the wind tunnel beside Thomas doing it?

You have wiggins using them for the 1 hour record, you also have the guys from NoPinz talking about testing on the TT Cycling Podcast. They used LA84 and then Bont Cronos. They did on the track testing 2 watts faster than their baseline, then the cronos testing another 2 watts fast. Assuming on the track that is about 0 yaw. Then you have Specialized data from the production of their sub6.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 2, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
Update:

I tried a pair of slx after the used bont zero + I found were a tiny bit too small. Long story short, I am taking back the slx and will search out a pair of bont zero + in the right size or just get them new. The bonts are just on another level. They are $$$ but I know after wearing the slx a few days, I would not be happy knowing there is a shoe that is almost as light, feel a lot better, a bit wider (even in the regular fit size), lower stack height, and just seem to be better quality overall. Bont has recently listed a "new" 2017 zero + but the weight is not listed. I sent an email to see if they are even lighter.

Just a roadie's opinion.

So I ordered a pair of Chronos last minute for a wind tunnel trip, they didn't arrive in time so I could NOT test but they were absolute trash in terms of craftsman ship, there was buckling in the material all around the shoes. I had to send them back. As many know I have been highly interested in stack height as well. After talking with both Dave Simmons (Simmons Custom) and KC from Rocket7, I have ended up going with Rocket7, neither believe the stack of the Bont is what they actually say it. They say the stack height just can't be that low for engagement of threads on the cleat system. Dave says the stack height can't be made less than 6.5mm. I do not remember what KC said.

Which comes to do, what is the stated weight versus actual weight. My giros are below 160 grams each, verified. I would liked to see actual weight of zero+ and an actually verifiable stack because I am calling BS right now based on the quality of the Chronos I purchased.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can tell you that the stack on the bont zero + is less than the giro. Not sure how much but enough that I had to adjust my saddle height. Sorry to hear about the craftsmanship on the cronos, the zero + is much better than the empires IMHO. More important for me is the feel of the shoe, which is nebulous to be sure, but it feels much stiffer, lower stack, the shoes hugs your heal as well almost no need to tighten the shoes as they feel glues to your feet.
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [robabeatle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
I can tell you that the stack on the bont zero + is less than the giro. Not sure how much but enough that I had to adjust my saddle height. Sorry to hear about the craftsmanship on the cronos, the zero + is much better than the empires IMHO. More important for me is the feel of the shoe, which is nebulous to be sure, but it feels much stiffer, lower stack, the shoes hugs your heal as well almost no need to tighten the shoes as they feel glues to your feet.

Being curious I decided to measure the Bont Cronos and they measure just over 6.56mm + and the insole is 4.15mm thick. The Giro's essentially measure the exact same. I used my Vinca Digital Caliper to measure the width by measuring the thread of a screws. I measured to the screw was flush with the top of the Cronos fastener retainer (for the lack of a better term). There is no way the stack is 3.6mm. I would encourage you to measure for yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I was thinking that maybe I didn't have the cleats in exactly the same position. Not trying to argue at all but I certainly noticed my saddle height had to change.

What else would cause that?

*edit* I would also guess the bonts not as aero as the boa dia pushes up under the shoe cover adding frontal area.
Last edited by: robabeatle: May 2, 17 14:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robabeatle wrote:
Interesting. I was thinking that maybe I didn't have the cleats in exactly the same position. Not trying to argue at all but I certainly noticed my saddle height had to change.

What else would cause that?

Frankly, I am glad you asked because it gave me the impetus to check and I was just wrapping them up now to send back so it actually worked out perfectly so thanks for that. This is just another example IMHO of a manufacturer making claims they probably shouldn't in an effort to differentiate the product and sell it.

For you, if your cleats are in the same position, then that should NOT account for the saddle difference. Frankly, while some say they can notice small changes in seat height, I have never bought in to this and I certainly can't even tell a 1cm change. Your body is very adaptable IMHO. The 2.9mm stated difference is small to begin that frankly just changing your socks or different chamois for your shorts can change things.

FWIW, over the years I have gone from a saddle height of 793mm although way down to 734mm where it stands now. Granted ~10mm of that comes from riding 162.5mm, but that is reduction in 6cm since I started. I have gone from very toe down to fairly neutral to heal-down pedal stroke. I too am interested in getting the stack as low as possible and that was one reason I considered Bont in the first place. Frankly, this is strike 2. I wouldn't be surprised if the stated weight differs significantly from actual weights. The stated weight is NOT listed for the Crono but this 42.5 weighs in at 293 grams.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad this was useful. I'd like to see the actual weights of both shoes in a given size. Not a huge concern for me but interesting none the less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bont emailed me and stated that the new zero + is the same weight as the prior version FWIW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to the new bont zeros? can only see the old ones on Bont's page.

I have been using the Bont zero's until now. Trying a switch to the Giro's... so far i like them both, no perceived difference in quality (bonts disintegrating on the walkable rubber under the sole, but maybe i should have taken those off before baking them in oven...)
Quote Reply
Re: PSA: New Giro Empire SLX - $175 many colors and sizes. [jakesdk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://shop.bontcycling.com/epages/BontCycling.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BontCycling/Products/ZPWB-36

Can you tell me more about your experience with the zero +? How long have you had them? Do you perceive a difference in stack? Did heat molding noticeably change the shape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, don't know why it didn't show for me when i looked for them.

Well, I used the specialized road shoe with boa before, and never really got along with them. So compared to those shoes, I definitely perceive the bont zero's to have a lower stack height and better fit for my foot in general. Think i heat molded them 5+ times to get along with them and yes it makes a (huge) difference in fit, at least for me. Can use them comfortably now. However, the flap over the shoes seem bulky to me when i wear them. Think i have a tall arch foot which might contribute to that. They are very stiff and you can lock your foot in well. They are not fool proof though. I got my foot tangled in the boa system at my latest race flying mount and wasted a fair bit of time getting locked in propperly.

Only a few rides with the Giro's and haven't cut the tongue yet (but i will). In comparison they seem marginally lighter, and more comfy. the sole of Giro and the Bont feel equally stiff to me, but of course the upper is a lot more flexy in the Giro's. Still good enough for the occassional out of the saddle, but not any sort of sprint efforts. I don't perceive any difference in stack height between the Giro and Bont. Selling points for Giro's over the Bonts, for me, would be more comfort, and a slicker profile. They just seem less bulky on my foot, in comparison to the bonts. Hopefully they will be even faster for flying mounts.

I will likely keep both and switch back and forth depending on the race. I think both are great shoes. If i were to buy one pair right now for racing tris only, i am leaning towards the Giros.

Edit: Bonts are about a year old.
Last edited by: jakesdk: May 3, 17 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read a review that weighed the bont zero + as 502 g for the pair. Seems too heavy. Maybe weighed with cleats?
Last edited by: robabeatle: May 4, 17 9:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next