Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strangely, I noticed this on my new SC, just picked up today. Of course, didn’t see it until got home.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miagi
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The stem can be quite hard to seat, if you don’t have experience (or ignore the service manual). I had one that took several hours to get right. Thankfully it’s not a job that needs to be done often.

I would definitely be having a quiet word with the mechanic though. The service manual has some very specific instructions about the fork assembly, and it’s definitely safety critical.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed the same thing on mine... I removed the stem and there is a thin metal plate between the stem and the frame. I've built up numerous Speed Concepts over the years and never saw that before. With the plate in place it's impossible to fully seat the stem. I removed it and everything is fine. There's no mention of this plate in the service manual and like I said I've never seen it before.

I also noted how much more this bike weighs (2018 Project One SC) than my old Speed Concept 9 series... I wouldn't think the 500 series carbon and other changes would make that much of a difference but it's really noticeable. I know it doesn't make a difference in reality, just an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a new 2018 Speed Concept from my LBS - I opted for all the black paint job, Ultegra Di2 and Garmin Vector Pedals.
I am having an issue with the Ultegra Di2 and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could point me in the right direction.

For Context:
After purchasing the Speed Concept and taking it on its maiden voyage I put it on my trainer to get some late night training in. While on the trainer the shifting worked fine with no issues at all (it has the same cassette as the bike). After I was done riding I took the bike off the trainer and put the back wheel on.

The next day I went to take the bike out for a ride. Very early into the ride I noticed that the rear derailleur would shift down - but it would not back shift up on. I could also shift in and out of the big/small chain ring without a problem. For some reason the rear derailleur was unresponsive when trying to shift back up. I took it back to my LBS and they said that they had never seen this issue before. They reset the Di2 and it worked fine after that.

Fast forward two weeks later - I raced on the bike at Wildflower without an issue. After the race I was doing a recovery ride on the trainer. Once again I put the back wheel on and racked the bike. The next day (today) I went to ride and once again the rear derailleur would only shift down and not back up.

Has anybody had a similar issue with their Di2?
Last edited by: chicoxcrunner: May 10, 18 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [chicoxcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your rear derailleur is going into crash recovery mode when you are taking the rear wheel off.
Take a look at this & see if it helps.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/...crash-recovery-mode/

I know it shouldn't happen, but sounds like that is what's going on.

I take mine on & off trainer a lot. I'm not sure how you go about it, but I take the speed fin cover off of rear brake, then gently lift up on rear derailleur to get chain off of smallest cog. I do the same to put it on trainer cassette. I just leave the rear brake cover off until I after I put wheel back on for outdoor ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [chicoxcrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicoxcrunner wrote:
I just picked up a new 2018 Speed Concept from my LBS - I opted for all the black paint job, Ultegra Di2 and Garmin Vector Pedals.
I am having an issue with the Ultegra Di2 and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could point me in the right direction.

For Context:
After purchasing the Speed Concept and taking it on its maiden voyage I put it on my trainer to get some late night training in. While on the trainer the shifting worked fine with no issues at all (it has the same cassette as the bike). After I was done riding I took the bike off the trainer and put the back wheel on.

The next day I went to take the bike out for a ride. Very early into the ride I noticed that the rear derailleur would shift down - but it would not back shift up on. I could also shift in and out of the big/small chain ring without a problem. For some reason the rear derailleur was unresponsive when trying to shift back up. I took it back to my LBS and they said that they had never seen this issue before. They reset the Di2 and it worked fine after that.

Fast forward two weeks later - I raced on the bike at Wildflower without an issue. After the race I was doing a recovery ride on the trainer. Once again I put the back wheel on and racked the bike. The next day (today) I went to ride and once again the rear derailleur would only shift down and not back up.

Has anybody had a similar issue with their Di2?

This is very odd - to me it sounds like you may have a wiring/terminal issue. It sounds almost like something is loose and coming in and out of connectivity rather its at a junction box internally or even loose on the actual rear derailleur. I would start by checking all wire ends and unplug them, inspect and re-plug them in.

Thats my .02
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Grayzweb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much! I will check it out this afternoon and see if taking it out of recovery mode helps the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
chicoxcrunner wrote:
I just picked up a new 2018 Speed Concept from my LBS - I opted for all the black paint job, Ultegra Di2 and Garmin Vector Pedals.
I am having an issue with the Ultegra Di2 and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or could point me in the right direction.

For Context:
After purchasing the Speed Concept and taking it on its maiden voyage I put it on my trainer to get some late night training in. While on the trainer the shifting worked fine with no issues at all (it has the same cassette as the bike). After I was done riding I took the bike off the trainer and put the back wheel on.

The next day I went to take the bike out for a ride. Very early into the ride I noticed that the rear derailleur would shift down - but it would not back shift up on. I could also shift in and out of the big/small chain ring without a problem. For some reason the rear derailleur was unresponsive when trying to shift back up. I took it back to my LBS and they said that they had never seen this issue before. They reset the Di2 and it worked fine after that.

Fast forward two weeks later - I raced on the bike at Wildflower without an issue. After the race I was doing a recovery ride on the trainer. Once again I put the back wheel on and racked the bike. The next day (today) I went to ride and once again the rear derailleur would only shift down and not back up.

Has anybody had a similar issue with their Di2?


This is very odd - to me it sounds like you may have a wiring/terminal issue. It sounds almost like something is loose and coming in and out of connectivity rather its at a junction box internally or even loose on the actual rear derailleur. I would start by checking all wire ends and unplug them, inspect and re-plug them in.

Thats my .02

I appreciate your input. I thought that was what was going on as well. I'm going to try resetting it/taking it out of crash recovery mode and then take it into my LBS to take a closer look if that does not work.
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike shop just got my Speed Concept put together! Curious though, are the blip shifters supposed to come with the SRAM eTap setup? Ordering the blips wasn't an option on Project One, and I went through the bike shop system which has a lot more options than online. I guess I just assumed anyone ordering eTap on a tri bike would want those so they would be included.


Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Z28Diddy wrote:
The bike shop just got my Speed Concept put together! Curious though, are the blip shifters supposed to come with the SRAM eTap setup? Ordering the blips wasn't an option on Project One, and I went through the bike shop system which has a lot more options than online. I guess I just assumed anyone ordering eTap on a tri bike would want those so they would be included.

That is an amazing looking ride!

I find it strange about the blips but to a certain degree it makes some sense they were not included. I would like to go to Etap eventually on mine!
Quote Reply
Re: Gen 1 - Extra long bolts for increased stack height? [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teddygram wrote:
That is an amazing looking ride!
I find it strange about the blips but to a certain degree it makes some sense they were not included. I would like to go to Etap eventually on mine!


Thanks! I think I like the color better in person than how it appeared online.

I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't include the blips. I would have thought it would at least be an add-on option through P1 if they weren't included though. For the price of adding eTap I find it annoying. But after my bike insurance from my crash it's really only costing me about $1500 after adding in saddle, peddles, etc... so I really shouldn't complain. The bike is way nicer than I have any right to be riding, or will be riding in another 6-8 weeks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for a sizing chart for Gen 2 SC 9 series frames... Only see one on ST for size large. Trying to see if I will fit on a size small. I know I fit on the Medium and Large. Constraint seems to be the reach on most small frames other than Dimond.

My setup

Seat Height - 72.5cm
Stack - 63cm
Reach - 49cm

THANKS!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Warning to all. DO NOT buy a speed concept. I was riding at 20ish mph when out of nowhere the rear drop out snapped. the derailleur then spun around breaking the chainstay and seatstay and bent my wheel beyond repair. Somehow I managed to get away with minor injuries, but it could have been catastrophic. I always thought that Trek was a leading manufacturer of bikes but clearly either my bike had a manufacturing flaw or their engineering department needs to put more thought into rider safety!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't look like Trek's fault at all. That's a setup issue causing that, not specific to Trek or any bike.

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 15, 18 7:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find your explanation highly unlikely. more likely would be chain suck. absent a number of others experiencing what you did, i'm sticking with chain suck.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i find your explanation highly unlikely. more likely would be chain suck. absent a number of others experiencing what you did, i'm sticking with chain suck.

When I was working part-time in a bike shop many moons ago, my favourite phrase when someone brought in a broken bike was "I was just riding along when....."

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you ‘Just riding along’ by any chance?

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chain suck makes sense...I was struggling to rationalize what happened in my head. I still think that the derailleur hanger should have been the weak point and not the drop out. If the dropout had not broken then i would have a repair option for the carbon stay...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasn't exactly just riding along. I was accelerating from a stop sign when it happened so more power being applied than riding along.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i find your explanation highly unlikely. more likely would be chain suck. absent a number of others experiencing what you did, i'm sticking with chain suck.


When I was working part-time in a bike shop many moons ago, my favourite phrase when someone brought in a broken bike was "I was just riding along when....."

this is well known. JRA. oldest (bad) joke in the bike biz.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brogala wrote:
wasn't exactly just riding along. I was accelerating from a stop sign when it happened so more power being applied than riding along.

i'm going to be writing an article on this quite soon, because i do believe that a lot of triathletes should be more aware of what behavior should be during drivetrain mishaps such as chain suck or FD derails to the inside or outside. how to recognize this and how to behave, or teach yourself to behave, which does require some instinctive or reflexive responses that unfortunately aren't apparent to those who haven't learned the hard way a few times.

your further explanation makes me more constrained to think chain suck, because if this is what happened then the force of your acceleration is what did the damage.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan

You saved me from writing that. Chainsuck plus hard pedalling would be my guess.

I expect a lot of riders of all disciplines would benefit from knowing what to do in the various circumstances.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brogala wrote:
Chain suck makes sense...I was struggling to rationalize what happened in my head. I still think that the derailleur hanger should have been the weak point and not the drop out. If the dropout had not broken then i would have a repair option for the carbon stay...


Sorry to hear about the issues you are going through but you did break the derailleur hanger - as Dan has explained during your acceleration something happened (from the sound of it chain suck) and the hanger failed causing havoc on the rest of the drive-train.

I would not call this a issue with the G1 Speed Concept - but more or less a accident that can happen to any bike. The only thing that matters is you are not seriously hurt.
Last edited by: teddygram: May 15, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. I understand that I likely played a factor in the problem. My understanding is that the derailleur hanger is engineered to be the weak point to prevent the drop out from breaking. Is this not accurate? Has no one else on the forum had a dropout break?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [brogala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the Speed Concept, does it have a replaceable derailleur hanger? From the photo it doesn't appear that it does, but I can't tell for sure.

Three of my bikes do not have replaceable dropouts (Serotta steel frame, Trek OCLV road bike, and my Cervelo P2K). A broken derailleur hanger IS a broken dropout.

Swimming Workout of the Day: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5784860#5784860;
Favourite Swim Sets: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...m.cgi?;post=5004659;
Unattainable goals for 2019/2020 season. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6944848#p6944848
Quote Reply

Prev Next