Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dilbert wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Dembo wrote:
Does anybody knows why the Shiv wasn't included in the aero shootout? It seems to be one of the more popular frames out there.


there seems to be a lot of people on ST who can't stand the SHIV. Perhaps that is the reason, or the fact that Specialized is quick on the lawsuit trigger. BTW....I ride a SHIV.
I ride a shiv too. This bike is getting no love around here. No idea why. Probably because it is "old" and people suspect it will soon be replaced by something new and shiny.

I love this bike other than the low stack kit we were forced to switch to after aerobars were recalled. That was not cool.

Yes it's old.

The Felt B2 was the reference bike.

All the others were recent superbikes

Surely the Shiv is due an upgrade ?

Must be 5-6 years old
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably due to time / resource constraints. Many popular bikes like the Trek SC, Felt IA, Cervelo P3 series weren't included, either.

This wasn't a for-profit test by a trade magazine. Testing of Cervelo P5(x) are possible because of generous help from a bike shop and gofundme donations. Testing of Tactical were provided by the manufacturer. Tunnel time was paid for by gofundme.

The Felt B series represents an aero optimized entry bike. Cervelo P5-6 represents the peak of past gen bikes. P5-X, Ventum, and Andean are the cutting edge shapes, for which we have seen limited aero data on. Tactical represents a "value" alternative to $10k bikes.

An aero optimized Shiv would probably fall in the middle of the pack. We are talking about no more than a 10 watt difference between the fastest and slowest bike here.



Dembo wrote:
Does anybody knows why the Shiv wasn't included in the aero shootout? It seems to be one of the more popular frames out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the clarification. Good reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the Shiv clearly worked out nicely today in Frankfurt for Lucy Charles:

Last edited by: Dembo: Jul 10, 17 2:22
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dembo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no one has heard any news about plans from Specialized?
My local Specialized dealer mentioned to me the other day that the Sworks Shiv is no longer available in Canada (in fact, I think the entire shiv lineup is off the Canadian website), and that he expects they'll be announcing something soon.
That's probably him just guessing. But.....even though tri-related bike sales may be down and losing focus, seems odd they'd remove the current model...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized product model years start in August. From what I've heard, no new Shiv this year.

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Specialized product model years start in August. From what I've heard, no new Shiv this year.

Not saying you're wrong, but again, seems odd that they would simply decide to not offer -any- tri bike in Canada?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well normally when stuff disappears it means something new is coming! I hope a new Shiv comes soon

Powered by All Out MultiSport - http://www.aomultisport.com/
Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Specialized product model years start in August. From what I've heard, no new Shiv this year.

Not saying you're wrong, but again, seems odd that they would simply decide to not offer -any- tri bike in Canada?

It hasn't been on the CDN site all year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sad to say it doesn't look like theres a new shiv about to get released. I should add there is no 2018 on the website that I stole a screen shot from.

doctorkidmillioniare.com
Last edited by: andrewblerner: Jul 30, 17 19:03
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Well normally when stuff disappears it means something new is coming! I hope a new Shiv comes soon


FYI, just got a reply from the Canadian Specialized office. This info maybe be specific to the Canadian market, dunno..

"We did not offer any Shiv for 2017, but we will offer the S-works Shiv module for 2018.

They are due in our warehouse in November."


Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Dembo wrote:
Does anybody knows why the Shiv wasn't included in the aero shootout? It seems to be one of the more popular frames out there.


there seems to be a lot of people on ST who can't stand the SHIV. Perhaps that is the reason, or the fact that Specialized is quick on the lawsuit trigger. BTW....I ride a SHIV.

I ride a shiv too. This bike is getting no love around here. No idea why. Probably because it is "old" and people suspect it will soon be replaced by something new and shiny.
I'm swapping from a QR CD0.1 to a Shiv. I just have to find one and hand them my wallet. Anyone here looking to sell? I mean that isn't already in the classifieds.

After a 10yr layoff I came back to triathlon. I bought the QR 7 months ago, but couldn't seem to get it to fit me properly. The top tube was just too long. I assumed that the problem was that I'm old now and therefore no longer use an aggressive position. I serially bought shorter and shorter stems until I pretty much had no stem. I also made pieces to move my elbow pads back a bit farther than they would have otherwise gone. That's when I found, after all these decades, the ideas of "stack and reach". And the lightbulb turned on. The QR CD0.1 is low and long. I guess I'm neither.

Last night I linked up with a local guy with a medium Shiv and it was totally obvious that the tall stack and especially the short reach had my name all over it. So now I just have to find someone to sell me a Shiv. Local bike shop is looking into it. I've contacted a couple folks selling used bikes. Always exciting to get a new bike. Hopefully today is the day.

"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.specialized.com/...on/shiv-sport/118402


Talk to a shop and order one of these. Such a killer deal and you would get a warranty on the frame. Upgrade the components later if you desire.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roger that. Only one local shop is a Specialized dealer and I've asked them to find me exactly what you linked to. I'm also prowling around the Internet for used ones that have uncut fork tubes. I'm not very good at waiting, so I expect that by the end of the day I'll have paid for a bike.

"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just paid for my new bike. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...owertap..._P6314811/

"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will second (third..fourth..whatever) the Shiv Sport recommendation. I bought one about 10 days ago. To me, it hit the easy button--not the best components, but the basics are covered and everything is a fresh baseline. I am new to Tris but felt that this made more sense than a 6 or 7 year old bike for half the price.

I have a fuelcell and fuelselage on order...in the meanwhile, I cobbled together a BTA mount out of some scrap carbon sheet and I'm using a BTS pack for the flat kit. Changed out the tires for some GPS4000S2s and that was about it for the first sprint...now a week later it has some used carbon wheels on it. Ahhh...slippery slopes.

Looking at some 10-15 mile loops that I ride regularly, it helped me pick up around 1.5mph over my older road bike Probably a bit more with the wheels and getting used to the geometry (it has a whopping 100 miles on it now)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [freightrain121] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
especially since I believe the pre 2015 or 2014 model years had the seat post clamp failure issue. You do not want to not be covered under warranty just because you are not the original owner. for that reason alone I wouldn't buy a used one older than 2015 shiv. The sport is the way to go and upgrade later. The frame is all the same for the models except the S works fact 11 carbon.
Last edited by: mknight84: Aug 1, 17 13:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thoroughly enjoyed my 2011 Shiv. It's served me through training and racing a dozen local sprints and oly's, four 70.3's and two IM's. I upgraded my SHIV Comp with the S-Works carbon cockpit, Ultegra cranks, an ISM saddle, and Ultegra Di2 (huge fan of electronic shifting now). Unfortunately, my BB has corroded away so now I'm looking to replace this old girl, as Specialized has advised me it can not be fixed. On a positive note, the family's CFO has signed my permission slip for a new bike... so what to get now? Nil word of a new SHIV? Nil SHIVs on Specialized's Canadian website....
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm prowling around for a Shiv cockpit. I bought a used Shiv, but the previous owner had replaced everything cockpit related. Has anyone replaced their Shiv cockpit and now has all the old parts gathering dust? Sell them to me.

"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the bull horns. yours if you pay shipping

doctorkidmillioniare.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [andrewblerner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im swapping out the praxiss crankset for an ultegra 11 speed. i have the new crank in hand and ready to put on. is there any other conversion kits that i will need to apply the new crankset?

i have an entire new 11 speed ultegra group to put on my shiv. the crankset will finish off the build.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone happen to know of any retailers that have a 2016/17 S-works shiv module (the orange one) in stock, medium?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jakemet85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC, the Praxis crank is BB30 whereas the Shimano crank will be 24mm. You'll either need a new bottom bracket or some sort of reducer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any one make a nosecone shiv tt cockpit fit on a newer shiv tt? I have a nose cone and am getting a warranty replacement 2016 frame. Looking at it I think I can make it work with old fork and old aerobar set up on the new one. My only thought is the bridging piece underneath that connects the nosecone to the frame. But I think I can get away with it just being attached at the "stem" but I this is all just looking at my old shiv and manual of new. I haven't picked the new one up from the shop yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pics when I get it in hand.

David

H & A Racing
Quote Reply

Prev Next