Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [zipalo1224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm trying to change the brake cables on my Shiv but I have problem routing back the cable inside my carbon handlebar.

Is there anyone that have a trick how to do that? The wire seems to stock every time in the 90o elbow...

Thanks,
Fred

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [airman98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you like the 1x drivetrain? What size cassette are you running and how has your cadence been impacted by the jumps in the cassette? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [maw262] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really like the X1 drivetrain. On my trainer its amazingly quiet. The cassette is stock and so far its working out great. I train on mainly flat roads and my races this year will be mostly flat so I don't use a lot of gears. My cadence is normally around 80 and I don't have any problem with the gearing maintaining this cadence.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my efforts to find a stem for the 2012 Shiv TT, which have failed miserably, I'm wondering if the new S-works Aero cockpit and stem would work. Any thoughts?

I know the Shiv TT stem will only work with the provided, proprietary cockpit. However, if I switch the stem and cockpit, would it work? IE, no clearance issues, etc?

I've talked to Specialized a few times and they said no stems for 2012 Shiv TT's are available, nor will they ever be, thus making me think the new stem/cockpit combo would work.

Any help here is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a list of brakes compatible with the specialized shiv? More specifically 2012 if they are any different from other years?
Not a big fan on the integrated one in terms of adjustability as well so wanting to see what my options are

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [B3CK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'll have to just remove the stock stem to see what you've got, try some stems to make sure they turn without rubbing the frame. Many stems have the bolts on the backside which may hit the frame when you rotate the bars.

That said, I had success with buying the extension adapters so i could use Zipp ski-bend extensions. the pad height on the stock cockpit was already perfect and the new extensions did the trick.

B3CK wrote:
In my efforts to find a stem for the 2012 Shiv TT, which have failed miserably, I'm wondering if the new S-works Aero cockpit and stem would work. Any thoughts?

I know the Shiv TT stem will only work with the provided, proprietary cockpit. However, if I switch the stem and cockpit, would it work? IE, no clearance issues, etc?

I've talked to Specialized a few times and they said no stems for 2012 Shiv TT's are available, nor will they ever be, thus making me think the new stem/cockpit combo would work.

Any help here is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a brake line from the stem side to the front where the brake handles attach. Then I just slid the new brake housing over the brake cable and then removed the brake cable.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for some recommendation regarding sizing.

I'm looking at a used Shiv for my She is 5'2.25". Currently, she rides a Specialized Dolce road bike (it shows a size on the frame of 51 seat tube length and 51.8 horizontal top tube length). Looking to make a jump to a tri bike. I have a 70MM stem with 7 degree drop on it. Othherwise, it's all stock.

I'm looking at a small Shiv. I'm trying to determine if she would fit better on a S or XS. I don't want to buy a Small and find out it's just too big.

In looking at the sizing of the Small, it has a seat tube length of 52.5 and a top tube length of 50.4.

Her current bike is a good, but not great fit. It's slightly stretched out and that is why we went with a shorter stem.

I understand that I probably should get an actual fit for her prior to looking any further, however I do not fully trust our local Retul fitter.

My question is, does anyone think a size Small would be able to fit her? I don't want to buy something that is definitely too big.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'7" and i have a Shiv Small. My wife is 5'2" and she tried out my Shiv but its too big for her. I got her a Shiv XS frame and it fits her perfectly.
Last edited by: skwan: Apr 20, 16 14:21
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'8 and ride a S Shiv with a 100mm stem. Go with the XS.

Specialized also has a stack/reach chart for the various sizes, so if you have a general idea of her fit you can use that.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am picking up a new shiv crom my LBS tomorrow, been there today inspecting the build and there's a bunch of questions I came out of the shop with. It is a 16 elite with di2 and rotor PM cranks, so the aero bar is alloy, and I'd like to get the cleanest possible build.

What is my best option to hide the di2 junction?

I was surprised to see that the base bar is not prepared to run di2 cables internally. Has anyone out there drilled holes and driven cables inside the bar? Any advice on di2 or brake cable wear in the existing (out) bar hole caused by turning the bar?

I will post pictures once I get the bike (and learn how to do it) EDIT, I learned apparently :) Here is a picture of the almost-finished build, still need to remove some spacers and cut extensions:

Thanks,

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: FranR: May 17, 16 3:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [FranR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More or less finished. Still have to cut the steerer tube and figure out my storage/hydration options, I think I'll go for a fuelcell and BTA.

I also got a set of decals they forgot to give me when I picked the bike. Several colors to cover the white stripes, but no SPEC decals to match. It seems to me that color stripes and white letters would look strange...

Is that correct, or did my LBS misplaced these as well?

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: FranR: May 21, 16 13:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Di2 cables can be run in the specialized alloy bar, and has been done on mine. If your shop can't do it, they need to learn how.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Shiv Elite and want to replace the bearings in my headset. Anyone able to tell me which ones I might need? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes they know how to do it, but were concerned about durability of the di2 cables from the levers. So I went ahead and did it myself. Took me a while since you need to remove brake cables and disassemble the cockpit to safely drill the bar, but no big deal if you have the right tools.
Have you been running this setup for long? Any issue with rubbing di2 cables?
Thanks!

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had to drill wholes.... Everything is there to route the cables .... Second your stem is clamped in the middle which is not recommended. Better tonremove the upper spacer and cut the fork
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is not the case with the alloy aerobar which ships with the elite model. You need to drill so you can route the di2 lever cables.

Yes I need to cut the fork, I mentioned in a previous post. I am just waiting to see my fitter to validate coordinates and then we'll proceed.

Thanks!

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FranR wrote:
More or less finished. Still have to cut the steerer tube and figure out my storage/hydration options, I think I'll go for a fuelcell and BTA.

I also got a set of decals they forgot to give me when I picked the bike. Several colors to cover the white stripes, but no SPEC decals to match. It seems to me that color stripes and white letters would look strange...

Is that correct, or did my LBS misplaced these as well?

Fran- I received the decal package as well with mine and it included about 6-7 color options to go over the color of the stripes, but there was nothing included to cover up the SPEC. Mine was initially red (stripes) and I covered them up with white to match the SPEC, but now am debating going with a brighter color.

One tip (no idea if it was mentioned earlier)..but if you do utilize the hydration system, I spray a little lubricant into the down tube just to help the bladder slide in better. Otherwise it seems to want to bunch up and only allow minimal hydration storage, and the straw gets kinked to easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump.

BMS wrote:
I have a 2014 Shiv Elite and want to replace the bearings in my headset. Anyone able to tell me which ones I might need or indeed a complete headset? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea where to get a replacement rubber top to the fuel cell frame storage?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't sell it solo. Best source is prob ST classifieds: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=fuel#p5959478

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quick question for owners of the 2016 Shiv.

Does anyone with the carbon aero base bars know if the extensions can be rotated at all?
I have one on test and unless I am being really stupid, or missing a part it appears like they are fixed straight with no rotation.

Earlier (recalled?) aero bars looked like the have some rotation built in.
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do not rotate. I bought new aftermarket bars.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: New Shiv [mtbmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtbmatt wrote:
Quick question for owners of the 2016 Shiv.

Does anyone with the carbon aero base bars know if the extensions can be rotated at all?
I have one on test and unless I am being really stupid, or missing a part it appears like they are fixed straight with no rotation.

Earlier (recalled?) aero bars looked like the have some rotation built in.

The pre-recall version did rotate. The bolt that held the rotating clamp in place was the weak point that led to the recall. The post-recall version (i.e. Low stack kit) does not rotate.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [BMS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMS wrote:
Bump.

BMS wrote:
I have a 2014 Shiv Elite and want to replace the bearings in my headset. Anyone able to tell me which ones I might need or indeed a complete headset? Thanks.

The bearings are probably pretty generic. If you pull them out you can either ID them by the laser-etched model#s on the races, or just take them to any local bearing distributor (Ex. Bearings Inc.).

Quote Reply

Prev Next