Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Part One of 2020 Thanksgiving Running Festival

Alice's Restaurant Massacree - 18:34 out [run time of "Alice's Restaurant"] turn around & come back the same route (negative split if I'm lucky & make all the stoplights) Result: 4.4 miles


Sounds like quite a day!

I'd have had the best time on 'Part One'
I used to have the whole thing memorized...

"...Now it all started two Thanksgivings ago, two years ago, on Thanksgiving,
When my friend and I went up to visit Alice at the restaurant...

But Alice doesn't live in the restaurant, she lives in the church nearby the
Restaurant, in the bell tower with her husband Ray and Facha, the dog..."
Last edited by: dtoce: Nov 30, 20 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Part One of 2020 Thanksgiving Running Festival

Alice's Restaurant Massacree - 18:34 out [run time of "Alice's Restaurant"] turn around & come back the same route (negative split if I'm lucky & make all the stoplights) Result: 4.4 miles


Sounds like quite a day!

I'd have had the best time on 'Part One'
I used to have the whole thing memorized...

"...Now it all started two Thanksgivings ago, two years ago, on Thanksgiving,
When my friend and I went up to visit Alice at the restaurant...

But Alice doesn't live in the restaurant, she lives in the church nearby the
Restaurant, in the bell tower with her husband Ray and Facha, the dog...
"

I don't run with headphones or anything, so whenever there's a music challenge, I count on the radio station in my head to be on track, but for this one, I also set an alarm on my watch

"Isn't RandMart the old punk rock dude who had the crazy ex*? Then this post checks out"


* Not THIS ex, another one
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back this year, even though I vowed not to participate. As always I have some stupid side challenge. Year 1 most miles, year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.

Year 4: the holy amature trail. Sub 5 mile. I was upset with my mile time 3 days ago, 5:51.
Today finishing 10miler, 200x3 in 41,43,40. I have a lot of work to do. Need to be at 200x12 @ 35s. :(

http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to have you back!

I believe you will get there.
Plan it, stress/rest

Appropriate seasoning of intervals
Garnish w tempo
Plenty of recovery

Voila!!
GL
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With no or very few races out there, there now seems to be a race for who can sustain 3-4 runs a day the longest. :-)

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
With no or very few races out there, there now seems to be a race for who can sustain 3-4 runs a day the longest. :-)

Herbert

I'm just outside the top 20, but I'm mostly just trying to maintain my normal training plan, with only occasional injections of 100/100 runs or days. Sunday is normally my off day, but I went for 4x instead. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am “sort of” at 29 runs and 191.39 miles as I am currently prepping for a 12 hour race in 11 days. At this point I am not enrolled though as I don’t want to chase that right now. Usually I average 11-13 runs a week with 80 miles (close to 3600 miles for the year) but will pull back the distance and keep up the intensity.

2 weeks ago 89 miles
Last week 68 miles

This week under 50

Then race week 20-25 during the week and then hopefully at least 70 on race day
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I am “sort of” at 29 runs and 191.39 miles as I am currently prepping for a 12 hour race in 11 days. At this point I am not enrolled though as I don’t want to chase that right now. Usually I average 11-13 runs a week with 80 miles (close to 3600 miles for the year) but will pull back the distance and keep up the intensity.

2 weeks ago 89 miles
Last week 68 miles

This week under 50

Then race week 20-25 during the week and then hopefully at least 70 on race day


That's exactly where I was at the end of GVRAT (85-90 mpw / 11-13 runs). Excluding that little 3600 miles bit, I'm right at 2000 for the year. I'd be closer to 2500 except for that pesky little surgery. I scaled back to 60 mpw after GVRAT (mostly single run days), to focus more on speed development.

ETA: I was pretty crushed at the end of GVRAT. Ramping up from OHS to 90mpw, in 3 months is probably not optimal. It took a while for the legs to come back around....and 12 weeks of iron supplements.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 1, 20 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
You'll be hearing about Bluestacks on the front page in the near future.

Is Bluestacks okay? I'm officially lighting the Bluestacks Batman spotlight in Gotham tonight in hopes of his return...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can confirm Bluestacks is OK (well, at least of the last time I was on an email with Slowman and BS).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DAY 17 PALOMAR MT., CA
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Dec 1, 20 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DAY 17, PALOMAR MT. ,CA
Last edited by: coyote pelon: Dec 1, 20 19:13
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am loving the photos! Keep them coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any update on this? I'm keen to be representing Slowtwitch during my many zwift runs for this challenge!

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
taking a CR on my trail run of 11 miles, on the last mile finished with 36s 200m. I was starting to get worried struggling to crack 40s. I also thought my dog could help me in my venture. before he could run low 4 min miles pulling me. now being older i was towing him :( could also be he hasnt been able to train much thanks to covid

http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I'm back this year, even though I vowed not to participate. As always I have some stupid side challenge. Year 1 most miles, year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.

Year 4: the holy amature trail. Sub 5 mile. I was upset with my mile time 3 days ago, 5:51.
Today finishing 10miler, 200x3 in 41,43,40. I have a lot of work to do. Need to be at 200x12 @ 35s. :(

Good luck! It's been a LOOOONG time since I ran sub-5. Like last century...and not the 90's.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knocked out my fastest session so far today with a treadmill 17:29 3mi (5:50/mi). Was feeling very ‘meh’ before and ate a bunch of Reese’s early this morning so maybe all that sugar helped. :)

I definitely wouldn’t be running this much if it wasn’t for the challenge.

Cheers

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
I'm back this year, even though I vowed not to participate. As always I have some stupid side challenge. Year 1 most miles, year 2 sub 20 min 5k every day one month, year 3 all runs under 4:40km pace.

Year 4: the holy amature trail. Sub 5 mile. I was upset with my mile time 3 days ago, 5:51.
Today finishing 10miler, 200x3 in 41,43,40. I have a lot of work to do. Need to be at 200x12 @ 35s. :(

Good luck! It's been a LOOOONG time since I ran sub-5. Like last century...and not the 90's.

I’m trying to break the 5min mile too - maybe Dec 19 in Jacksonville FL.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I knocked out my fastest session so far today with a treadmill 17:29 3mi (5:50/mi). Was feeling very ‘meh’ before and ate a bunch of Reese’s early this morning so maybe all that sugar helped. :)

I definitely wouldn’t be running this much if it wasn’t for the challenge.

Cheers

Nice. That's about as fast as my TM will go. Technically the controller only goes up to 10 mph, but its not quite calibrated at that pace.

Do you have a good handle on how your TM translates to road at that pace? Once I get much below 7:00/mi I have to raise the incline 1-2 degrees to compensate.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My times on a track are probability similar to gradient 1 on the treadmill or maybe 0 for race equivalent times. I don’t do a ton of road races though.

I’m really high maintenance and have 30-40 ounces for 3mi, which I carry in a camelback when running outside. On the treadmill I can put the bottles in the holders making me lighter inside. I usually chill run outside if not on the track. On the treadmill, I can be hanging on by a thread whereas outside I don’t like to push myself to the edge as much.

My question to myself is if I can do the ST 3mi challenge and train for the 1mi race. I think doing fast 3mi workouts is lowering my 1mi time. I should hit up the track and do 400s, 800s at some point though if I’m serious about hitting a 4:59 mile.

The treadmills I train on near me don’t go super high either. They go to 11mph but sometimes get some get overloaded and blow up at 11.3mph or more, so I stay to 11.2mph max. The higher my speed, especially around 11mph, the more my footing has to be light and consistent. I’ve run sloppily at 11.0mph on this machine and it cuts out, so I have to tread carefully.

Planet Fitness has better treadmills that go up to like 14.0mph, but I have to drive there and wear a mask, etc.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally have a medal next to my name! only 4 runs behind pace after tonights run
I missed most of the first week with work/life/kids stuff, but i'm in the groove now ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

I’m trying to break the 5min mile too - maybe Dec 19 in Jacksonville FL.

in non carbon shoes i hope? I will not use them

i see your treadmill work outs. hopefully you are running at 1* or greater. if are doing 5:50 pace for 3 miles seems you are there. 20 min tempo at 6:00 seems to be one marker workout per my reading.

http://www.coupleofathletes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of 30 minute workout you can do to get ready for your mile.

  1. Just go to a track and do 8x73 second 400m internals with 100m easy jogging in betwen.
  2. Also 5000m of 100m on, 100m off with the on at 17-18 seconds, and the off as slow as you want.

I like option two which you can do frequently because you mechanically get up to the speed you need to (apply ground force and pounding on impact) but you are never in aerobic distress.

Another option you could do is 10 min jogging warmup, build with 10 minutes of alternating 100 on/100 off as in workout two, and then do a 5:17 mile as a descending thing at 90 seconds, 80 second, 75 second 73 seconds. You are starting the mile relatively slow for what you want to do but you close it up with the last two laps at target pace. then you get 4:40 minutes to cool down on the 100/100 plan to make it count, since you probably won't cover the 3 mile minimum with all the jogging in this workout.

If you can do that, it should be fine for your 4:59 mile where you will run 75 second 400's in a row for 3 laps and then ratchet it up to 74 seconds for the final. The way to nail the mile is to be able to close your eyes and know exactly what 400 pace you are running and don't go 1-2 seconds to fast on the first lap because you may end up 4-8 seconds too slow on the last. The treadmill workout will get you in shape to go do the track work to dial in the pace but you should do some pace work. Best of luck
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

in non carbon shoes i hope? I will not use them


Definitely not in carbon shoes! I view all shoes as an unfair advantage, so will be going barefoot with a small amount of spray flex seal on my sole to represent a true and natural runner.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 14th Annual 2020/2021 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev for the feedback!

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply

Prev Next