Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Roger, I know this thread is just a wind-up to bring out the vegan haters and it sure did! But I'm glad you brought awareness to Sage. I honestly didn't know much about him and just looked him up. Impressive guy (vegan or not...who cares and what's your point??). A 1:09 is smoking fast and he ran a 2:19:50 at the Houston marathon in 2018 (holy sh*t). Few people can do that!!! His Instagram page is pretty cool too! Just started following him. Seems like a nice genuine guy and in the end that's what truly matters...right??

C'mon people, we are better than some of these comments. Keep it classy ;-)

Now you make me wonder who you are even though I don't think we met Joyce. Anyways, he ran 2:16 at SD RnR years back. I was following him since then. Sometimes he wastes too much energy preaching veganism that can be used for training. He has a very good vlog series on YouTube. Perhaps it's just age (10k hour rule)
Last edited by: synthetic: Mar 20, 19 10:20
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know enough about Sage to speak about your statement. My take is that he's young and he's excited to find something that seems to work well for him (2:16?? wow).....I'm sure he means no harm.

Believe it or not I can relate to the "haters" on here. One of the former great US pro-runners I used to follow is very religious and I was a self-proclaimed atheist with a strong contempt for Christianity (I'm not proud of that). I remember buying his book because I was so intrigued with someone able to run a sub 1 hour half marathon (no names please, runners will know who this is). But I could not read it initially as it felt "preachy" and rubbed me the wrong way. I tossed it in a pile of books and forgot about it for a while. Over the years I've become much more open-minded in regards to religion and fully respect and appreciate others' religious beliefs. While I have no plans of "finding Jesus" myself, I really do find value in many teachings. I later read his book and was able to take away a lot of good advice from a running and a spiritual perspective. My point is that we can learn so much more with an open mind, even when something is opposite to our beliefs.

I am never going to try a keto diet (although nothing is absolute), but I sometimes read the threads to learn more about it and other diets and to gain more knowledge about athlete nutrition. Every diet has some good take-away advice or recipes. I recently found a nice keto coconut pancake recipe we might try this weekend. While a pure keto diet works for others it's not a good fit for me. Same with plant-based diets. While it works for some there are too many variables to say it works for everyone. I read a couple posts on your blog since you made it public and I would not recommend a vegan diet for you, but you already know that. (my motto: eat what makes you feel good)

I feel like ST could be a really great forum if we could all be a little nicer and more tolerant of each other. There are thousands of us on here who read this stuff looking for advice and help. Again I don't mean to stand on a soap box but it does sadden me when we can't play nice on here. And I think more people would contribute if this platform was a bit more friendly towards opposing views and beliefs.

I haven't met you Roger but was curious about why you would post a thread like this. I did enjoy the documentary "We are Triathletes" and your wife Bessy was amazing! Congrats to her at Roth!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D'Kid was vegetarian for about two years. I dabbled, but it didn't stick; not as a full-time diet choice, anyway. I saw no substantial impact in performance, either way

I gathered enough vegetarian cooking knowledge & skill that I will throw together a meatless meal from time to time - especially handy now that it's Lent

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sage is a class act. Just wanted to post that he just released the follow up to the race:

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
I don't know enough about Sage to speak about your statement. My take is that he's young and he's excited to find something that seems to work well for him (2:16?? wow).....I'm sure he means no harm.

Believe it or not I can relate to the "haters" on here. One of the former great US pro-runners I used to follow is very religious and I was a self-proclaimed atheist with a strong contempt for Christianity (I'm not proud of that). I remember buying his book because I was so intrigued with someone able to run a sub 1 hour half marathon (no names please, runners will know who this is). But I could not read it initially as it felt "preachy" and rubbed me the wrong way. I tossed it in a pile of books and forgot about it for a while. Over the years I've become much more open-minded in regards to religion and fully respect and appreciate others' religious beliefs. While I have no plans of "finding Jesus" myself, I really do find value in many teachings. I later read his book and was able to take away a lot of good advice from a running and a spiritual perspective. My point is that we can learn so much more with an open mind, even when something is opposite to our beliefs.

I am never going to try a keto diet (although nothing is absolute), but I sometimes read the threads to learn more about it and other diets and to gain more knowledge about athlete nutrition. Every diet has some good take-away advice or recipes. I recently found a nice keto coconut pancake recipe we might try this weekend. While a pure keto diet works for others it's not a good fit for me. Same with plant-based diets. While it works for some there are too many variables to say it works for everyone. I read a couple posts on your blog since you made it public and I would not recommend a vegan diet for you, but you already know that. (my motto: eat what makes you feel good)

I feel like ST could be a really great forum if we could all be a little nicer and more tolerant of each other. There are thousands of us on here who read this stuff looking for advice and help. Again I don't mean to stand on a soap box but it does sadden me when we can't play nice on here. And I think more people would contribute if this platform was a bit more friendly towards opposing views and beliefs.

I haven't met you Roger but was curious about why you would post a thread like this. I did enjoy the documentary "We are Triathletes" and your wife Bessy was amazing! Congrats to her at Roth!

Shut the fuck up.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

lol did I strike a nerve with you??

Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [afrizzledfry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:

Shut the fuck up.

That's a very disproportionate response, and not very fair to 70Trigirl at all

She put a LOT of time & effort into her well-constructed post, and "Shut the fuck up" is the best you can do?

That's a fucking shame; please try better next time

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all. It was a joke and meant to be read as such. Glad you lol'ed. FWIW I read the OP as a joke, and based on the responses I'm not the only one. Some people (and apparently RandMart) need to lighten up. It's the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:
Not at all. It was a joke and meant to be read as such. Glad you lol'ed. FWIW I read the OP as a joke, and based on the responses I'm not the only one. Some people (and apparently RandMart) need to lighten up. It's the internet.

After I laughed at your original response....I then wondered if I had offended you by mentioning my atheism....although I've morphed into more of an open-minded agnostic. Glad I didn't!! Religion is a touchy but fascinating subject. Many interesting topics in life are not appropriate for discussion it seems. So hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
afrizzledfry wrote:

I'm sorry; you misunderstood. I was speaking for a strictly mathematical standpoint. She used 471 words, you used only 4

You could've taken the time to pad your argument a little, so kind of even things out

Otherwise, we're cool

Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
afrizzledfry wrote:

I'm sorry; you misunderstood. I was speaking for a strictly mathematical standpoint. She used 471 words, you used only 4

You could've taken the time to pad your argument a little, so kind of even things out

Otherwise, we're cool

What I love about my fellow athletes is that we have the attention span to not only read, but count those 471 words!

And in fairness, I would have preferred a more lengthy response. I work from home and sit on a lot of webex conference calls. You guys keep me entertained from time to time :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my atheism....although I've morphed into more of an open-minded agnostic.

You're a little closer to that PR. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Jesse Thomas at 39 years 1:08

Sage Canaday at 33 years 1:09

CEO of Gluten-free/Vegan sport bar Professional Athlete beats Plant-Based Professional Ultra Runner is a little more accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
CEO of Gluten-free/Vegan sport bar Professional Athlete beats Plant-Based Professional Ultra Runner is a little more accurate.

You can't begin to imagine my disappointment that your posts don't rhyme

Last edited by: RandMart: Mar 21, 19 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [Dr. Seuss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Only about half of their products are vegan, just for the record.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to refresh, for my own education

Beer has yeast in it, which is alive, so it's not vegetarian/vegan, right?

Yeah, I'm still out

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Seuss wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Prior to this posting I did research JT's diet. Very liberal with meat based burgers
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Yeah, I'm still out

Incorrect. Usually the issue with a beer or spirits will be the filter that is used in production. Bone char is used for some spirits. Guinness used to not be vegan because it was filtered through fish bladders (yummmmm). They changed that in 2015 and is now vegan. The other reasoning, obviously, would be if it contained an animal product such as honey.

Typically, the determining factor is if something has a central nervous system.
Last edited by: MBaier: Mar 21, 19 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clearing that up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Yeah, I'm still out

Incorrect. Usually the issue with a beer or spirits will be the filter that is used in production. Bone char is used for some spirits. Guinness used to not be vegan because it was filtered through fish bladders (yummmmm). They changed that in 2015 and is now vegan. The other reasoning, obviously, would be if it contained an animal product such as honey.

Typically, the determining factor is if something has a central nervous system.

Honey has a central nervous system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The damage done by Disney movies is unsurmountable. The day they start showing antripomorphic veggies in Disney movies humanity will be doomed, unless we can survive on water and air.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
The damage done by Disney movies is insurmountable. The day they start showing anthropomorphic veggies in Disney movies humanity will be doomed, unless we can survive on water and air.

So, you've never heard of VeggieTales?

NOTE: Not a Disney product
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeggieTales

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you saw his wife created Picky Bars because his gluten & dairy filled farts smelled too bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, they use honey in some of their products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are doomed, the end is near!
Quote Reply

Prev Next