Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
OK now that is the bike that I want.

Aero and light - check
Aero handlebars - check
Killer black paint scheme - check
HED wheels - check
option for a more forward post - check

EDIT: it needs a killer black carbon BERK saddle and black bar tape.

Put on some aero brakes and away we go.

I agree this bike is a grand slam. This is exactly what I thought the S5 should have been last time. This version is much more well thought out. I would prefer Zipp wheels, but that's an easy change.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
-Mike- wrote:
but there is a reason it is regularly passed by top riders in place of the s3 on a regular basis.

25mm tires

...along with the psychological problem of perceiving that the "filled in" seat tube makes the rear "harsh".

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never gave an opinion, in fact from the eyeball test i like the bike, a lot! I am just interested to know why i do not see them ridden that often in road races and by Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I think the best value is the Ultegra package. You get HED wheels ($1900), Cervelo aero drop ($400), Frame, fork and post ($4500) and the rest of the components.

I believe that only the Dura Ace bikes come with HED wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also states that all 3 spec'd levels will come with cervelo drop bar. Which I kind of want for my SLC-SL I'm building.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [djconnel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djconnel wrote:
All other Cervelo bikes have the same geometry. The BikeRumor article says they dropped stack on this one by 2 cm.

If this is correct then odds on for most S5s promenading with large stacks of unslightly and unaerodynamic spacers.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race bikes are too expensive these days. $10K for a bike is absurd. Adjusted for inflation, this bike is over twice as expensive as the handmade Tomassini with Dura Ace I used to race back in the early ninties.

In general, I think top-end carbon is outrageously overpriced. This is a mass produced, Asian subcontractor-produced carbon frame, in what way is it possibly worth $4,500? You can get a custom made and finished Ti or stainless frame for that price. In a day where you can get a nice sub 900g unbranded frame for less than $500 (from Velobuild, for example), this type of pricing for mass produced carbon is looking increasingly ridiculous. The material simply isn't exotic any more.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a Cervelo you aren't paying for the material, you are paying for the aerodynamic shape. A custom made ti bike would be worse in every way =)

hiro11 wrote:
You can get a custom made and finished Ti or stainless frame for that price. In a day where you can get a nice sub 900g unbranded frame for less than $500 (from Velobuild, for example), this type of pricing for mass produced carbon is looking increasingly ridiculous. The material simply isn't exotic any more.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Aug 28, 14 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
With a Cervelo you aren't paying for the material, you are paying for the aerodynamic shape. A custom made ti bike would be worse in every way =)
Aero frames are likely the least effective cost / watt saved option in cycling. You're better off with $50 shoe covers. The is especially true in road frames. The proported aero benefit of a frame like the S5 vs a round tube road frame is completely negligible, especially in a crit / sportif / group ride that 99.9% of potential buyers are going to be using this for. Even Cervelo's "lab tested" benefits are ridiculously small and completely meaningless if you're in a pack (which most people buying this will be). Don't believe the hype, this is snake oil / conspicuous consumption. I don't fault people who want to buy the S5, there are far, far worse ways to blow money. I also own a Scott Foil and several sets of deep section wheels so I'm just as guilty as the next man. But let's be clear about what we're all paying for here: pride of ownership.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hiro have you ever been in a bike race, in a pack, where it was hard to keep up?

Do you know WHY it was hard to keep up? Either wind resistance, or gravity.

Less wind resistance is good.

As rare as frame aerodynamics may make a difference in your road racing, it is more likely they will make a difference than the grams of weight or millimeter geometry adjustments from custom frames will.

So if you want to think of frame aerodynamics as stupid to worry about, and I think that is only half crazy, you can. But worrying about the tiny difference in geometry, weight, and stiffness is *even stupider*

I race bikes, I understand aerodynamics, I've done the math, and I've definitely had at least one cat 3 podium that would not have happened if I had been on a custom TI bike =)

Of course I also didn't pay anywhere near $4,000 for my s5.

Buy the S2, in the winter when it is on sale. Great value!

hiro11 wrote:
Aero frames are likely the least effective cost / watt saved option in cycling. You're better off with $50 shoe covers. The is especially true in road frames. The proported aero benefit of a frame like the S5 vs a round tube road frame is completely negligible, especially in a crit / sportif / group ride that 99.9% of potential buyers are going to be using this for. Even Cervelo's "lab tested" benefits are ridiculously small and completely meaningless if you're in a pack (which most people buying this will be). Don't believe the hype, this is snake oil / conspicuous consumption. I don't fault people who want to buy the S5, there are far, far worse ways to blow money. I also own a Scott Foil and several sets of deep section wheels so I'm just as guilty as the next man. But let's be clear about what we're all paying for here: pride of ownership.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they dropped stack by 2cm, they turned it into a pretty aggressive bike in terms of front end height.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least they have put a nice and low stack headset top cap on this road bike. My TT bike from Cervelo came with a cone spacer that resembled a wizard's hat, go figure.
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 28, 14 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 cm is nowhere close to "aggressive". That just brings them back to "middle of the road", back to where they were before the geometry merge with RS. The Trek H1 is an additional 2 cm lower, still. See, for example:
http://djconnel.blogspot.com/2014/08/stack-and-reach-of-trek-madone-domane.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmmm...those look like A9 D3s...definitely classing up the joint ;-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek is 53.1 for a 54cm H1- If -2cm is correct, the new S5 would be 53.5cm stack for a 54cm.
I call that aggressive (since I call an H1 "pro aggressive").
Specialized Tarmac is 54cm stack in a 54cm- it is also aggressive.
I don't know where your definition of aggressive comes from. But hats off to you if ride an H1 with the stem slammed.
Most don't- I see so many Trek Madone H1 bikes with 4cm of spacers that it makes my stomach turn.
I feel bad for the riders who ride them and the shops who sold them. It doesn't have to be like that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
I never gave an opinion, in fact from the eyeball test i like the bike, a lot! I am just interested to know why i do not see them ridden that often in road races and by Garmin.

As I've been exposed to "stories" from the peloton in regards to equipment selection, I've come to the conclusion that pro riders are quite an odd bunch when it comes to equipment. Seriously.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
-Mike- wrote:

As I've been exposed to "stories" from the peloton in regards to equipment selection, I've come to the conclusion that pro riders are quite an odd bunch when it comes to equipment. Seriously.

I remember a photo from Paris-Roubaix where a rider had a piece of wooden 2x4 jammed under his saddle for some reason. For Paris-Roubaix
Last edited by: walie: Aug 28, 14 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't look at my reference. The stack difference is much more than 2 cm, Cervelo vs Trek H1. Cervelo is basically Trek H2:

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
bootsie_cat wrote:
I was all ready to get an S3. I might have to wait and see if this handles like a road-worthy bike.
Anyone know frame or bike weight?

Why would it handle different than an S3, or an R3 or R5 for that matter? All the Cervelo road bikes have the exact same geometry.

Because bike handling, performance, and stiffness is based on more than just geometry.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Because bike handling, performance, and stiffness is based on more than just geometry.

Never forgot the JoshP post, where pros could no longer identify the stiffness of wheels/frames, when they couldn't see them =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might check your data.
According to Trek 54cm H1 is 53.1
According to Cervelo S5 is 55.5
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:

Because bike handling, performance, and perceptions of stiffness are based mostly on just geometry.

There...fixed that for you ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo S5 [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

>I remember a photo from Paris-Roubaix where a rider had a piece of wooden 2x4 jammed under his saddle for some reason. For Paris-Roubaix

Had to be a jury-rigged fix for a slipping seat post or broken clamp. Not sure why they didn't just get a backup bike, but maybe it was a poor team, or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
craigj532 wrote:

Never forgot the JoshP post, where pros could no longer identify the stiffness of wheels/frames, when they couldn't see them =)

That's right...and the only variable which was perceivable reliably as "something is different" (attributed to "this must be the X bike, or X wheel") was tire pressure.

On top of that, the ONLY bike feature that was able to be reliably discerned from the power vs. speed data was aerodynamic drag. The engineers could always point out which setups where more aero from the data. Other things (i.e. frame stiffness, wheel stiffness, etc.)?...not at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike "size" doesn't matter. Compare stack and reach. "Size" is related to seat tube length, if anything, but there's no real standard.
Quote Reply

Prev Next