Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:
hammerruns wrote:
You are ridiculous. Some people entering the sport have maybe never had the "deep" and apparently superior experience you have had in the sport. The swim being the most intimidating portion you cast a stone to someone who is probably in the wave after you and would not impede your progress. I get that fins and propulsion devices are a no go but the noodle we all know wont make you any faster. This triathlon had two people die this weekend. I am going to go ahead and say that if a noodle could prevent that then its a good thing. Just relax a bit and try not to make triathlon a "good ole boys club" where you have to be super good or not tri. I am going to go ahead and assume you are the same guy who climbs over people in the start of the swim because your triathlon world is so much more important than anyone elses. Do us all a favor and shut up and just enjoy the sport and encourage others who are learning and trying it out.

I really hope you're kidding... if you can't swim, you shouldn't do a triathlon, period... that's common sense, and it never ceases to amaze me to see a comment like yours.... wow...

I think the guy near the end at the bottom actuclly has a pull buoy...

It's kind of disappointing to see these people in the water mainly due to the lottery system. I'm sure someone that could complete the race without a problem would love to have this person's spot. While I'm all for new people in the sport, it's a shame to see this happen. Maybe race webpages need to start putting a big warning on the front page of any race over a sprint that says something like "Open Water Swimming can extremely dangerous, difficult and scary for the first timer. You may be swam over, hit on the back and kicked in the face. It is STRONGLY recommended that you complete at least one sprint triathlon before attempting a longer distance race." Maybe I've missed that on race pages? (Does anyone read the waiver?) Or just require that you submit a time from an OWS sprint tri...

At the DC Oly Tri in June, I saw several people being pulled from the water in the first 100 meters and too many people holding kayaks in the first couple hundred. If you have trouble with the first hundred how the hell do you expect to make the next 1400? I wish my phone wasn't in transition so I could have some video of it.

Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [dsimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in one of the late waves - 37 to be specific, way back toward the end. Watched the yellow transition in full...

I saw several people calling for help, and I was reasonably close to where this video was filmed. Anyone who's calling for help within the first 200-300 yards really, really shouldn't be there. Especially with reasonably good water conditions... temperature was fine, current was in swimmer's favor, and waves were not particularly significant. Maybe 4x in the swim did I have an attempted breath screwed up by a wave... honestly better than in years past, and with the tide turning not long before pros went in, the water was especially brackish (and thus more buoyant than a river would suggest)

And I saw not just pool noodles, but one guy floating backwards with what looked like a lifeguard buoy held just under the water. Not sure where he got that.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [hammerruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You honestly don't see a problem here? We were all newbies at one time, but at some point you have to know when you are/aren't ready to do the swim...especially a river swim with a current like that?

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Local Star wrote:
Noodle + Current = Free Ride

I don't think you need a noodle to get a free ride on a current.

Current = Free Ride
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [tribreck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribreck wrote:
Local Star wrote:
Noodle + Current = Free Ride

I don't think you need a noodle to get a free ride on a current.

Current = Free Ride

x2.

And further: Current + wetsuit = free ride

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe USAT (and/or WTC for IM) could rate the various races according to difficulty. Depending on the level of difficulty you may need to post a qualifying time in order to enter. For others perhaps no prior race experience is needed. IM has data about elevation, etc. for each race on their website but a formal grade with standards for entry would perhaps be helpful. Right now anyone can get into any race. Someone who has never completed a 5K can enter an Ironman. Given that three people have died in the last four years during the swim portion of the (OLY) NYC Tri, maybe it is time for USAT to re-think what is required to enter certain of their races.

Korff is proud to point out that his race sold out on-line in 6 minutes. IMNY sold out in like 20 minutes. If you put some basic entrance standards in place I doubt very seriously either race would cease to sell out and doing so just might save a life.

Also, I think Korff needs to tone down the "fastest swim" rhetoric associated with this race. That kind of talk only leads people to underestimate what they are taking on. You still need to be able to swim!! More to the point, in light of the tragedies in recent years it would seem to me the last thing they would want to be telling people about the swim is that it is easy.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [greyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" "!

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greyguy wrote:
More to the point, in light of the tragedies in recent years it would seem to me the last thing they would want to be telling people about the swim is that it is easy.

Three people have died in the 11 year history of the NYC Triathlon. That's 3 out of probably 36,500 athletes - that's .00008% - I'd say they've done a pretty damn good job keeping people safe.

Everything in life bears some risk - it's up to the race director to execute a safe race and provide adequate response in the event of an emergency, but ultimately it's up to the individual to minimize the risk to self and others caused by their inabilities.

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greyguy wrote:
Maybe USAT (and/or WTC for IM) could rate the various races according to difficulty. Depending on the level of difficulty you may need to post a qualifying time in order to enter. For others perhaps no prior race experience is needed.

i disagree...there should be a field to check off while you are filling out the application.

Athelete possess common sense and can provide instances where it was applied in daily life: YES or NO

anybody with NO should be banned from doing triathlons...it is very simple you either can swim or not..you cannot hold the RD responsible for peoples' lack of common sence.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
yall gonna feel bad if noodle lady turns out to be recovering from a stroke or something.

I've saw a guy (and more like him) do Kona with one arm, no legs, and no f@cking noodle.

I will sleep just fine if she had a stroke or something. She should be ashamed of herself.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dsimo wrote:
That's 3 out of probably 36,500 athletes - that's .00008%

Sigh.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole wrote:
greyguy wrote:
Maybe USAT (and/or WTC for IM) could rate the various races according to difficulty. Depending on the level of difficulty you may need to post a qualifying time in order to enter. For others perhaps no prior race experience is needed.

i disagree...there should be a field to check off while you are filling out the application.

Athelete possess common sense and can provide instances where it was applied in daily life: YES or NO

anybody with NO should be banned from doing triathlons...it is very simple you either can swim or not..you cannot hold the RD responsible for peoples' lack of common sence.
I then would be banned from every race north of the border . Also south, east and west of it. If I had the money to travel to them.

Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
dsimo wrote:

Sigh.

0.008% , you have to multiply by 100%
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclops wrote:
klehner wrote:
dsimo wrote:

Sigh.

0.008% , you have to multiply by 100%

I think you responded to the wrong post.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
I then would be banned from every race north of the border . Also south, east and west of it. If I had the money to travel to them.

then be happy god made stupidity a painless condition...not enough pills out in the world to keep people from crying from pain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thing I don't take the ones they gave me ;0)

Quote | Reply
The point is the sport may be changing with more inexperienced athletes entering the race. Where is triathlon at, in general, when compared to 11 years ago. At that time I didn't know a single person doing the sport.....today I know dozens. It is much more prevalent and therein lies the risk. And while I think they have done a largely good job of staffing the event (lifeguards, kayaks, boats, etc.) there is no defending noodle lady's participation. That was a serious breakdown in their oversight of the event. Lastly, if your point is that 3 deaths out of 36,000 is acceptable I suggest you google Ford Pinto and see how well that worked out for them from a product liability standard.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri Swim Video (noodles included)... [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Good thing I don't take the ones they gave me ;0)

hahahah cheers!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
youre actually speaking seriously??? are you freaking out of your mind?? if you need a noodle to get through the swim you have no business jumping into a tri. ...that person has absolutely no business being in that race.

i have an idea, how about taking it seriously and training for the stupid thing rather than not bothering to train one second, as this person has done...you are utterly and completely missing the point of all of this.

i encourage anyone and everyone to do the sport. i have a coworker whos 6'6" and 320 lbs and guess what, he wants to do a tri..so whats the first thing hes doing? hes learning to swim so he doesnt drown in the race...oh my, he actually is using his brain...

this is simply the most ridicuolous post ive ever seen on this site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greyguy wrote:
Maybe USAT (and/or WTC for IM) could rate the various races according to difficulty. Depending on the level of difficulty you may need to post a qualifying time in order to enter.

Though the thing about swim competency is that while speed correlates to some degree to open water ability, it's not absolute. I live in a place where most swims are open ocean, it's too hot for wetsuits from late May until the end of October, and there are any number of 2:30/100 swimmers on the local circuit that I'd trust implicitly to be able to handle a 1.2 mile swim or less. I actually feel like a lot of them are safer swimmers than some folks in the 1:45 crowd who don't have that same open water experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Olympic = noodles, Ironman = fins!

The trailblazers in the sport alway have the toughest path. Jackie Robinson, Jessie Owens, Finman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"where you have to be super good or not tri"

It isn't exactly a thin line between super good and not tri. Its pretty simple, if you can't swim the distance don't enter the race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why you feel the need to "come to the rescue" of someone who is blatantly violating a USAT competitive rule. You don't have the authority to bend the rules for anyone regardless of whether you perceive your rule bending to be in some way morally superior. I don't think that anyone competing in a triathlon should expect that noodles be on hand in case they have a heart attack either. You sign your life away when you register for one of these races. You accept that shit may happen, and you agree to abide by the governing rules, or YOU DON'T COMPETE. You and the people you're advocating for are going to be the reason USAT, RD's, and other triathlon organizers get litigated into insolvency.

This video is representative of a much bigger issue. Can we please brainstorm some sort of competency clause to add to every event waiver? Let's take this back to the 1800's, poll test style. There has to be some sort of test we can put people through to make sure that they aren't endangering themselves and others by competing? There are people that are criminally lacking in bike handling abilities as well, and there should be a test for that too.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
greyguy wrote:
Maybe USAT (and/or WTC for IM) could rate the various races according to difficulty.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i wouldn't think this was needed, as athletes have tended to do their own, informal (but pretty accurate) rating. for the IM circuit, it's been generally reported, by athletes having done the race, which ones are particularly hard, in which ways. i'm thinking here of the bike courses for lanzarote and st. george. for swims, all of the iterations of alcatraz-to-sf races are well known for the specific swim challenges.
peggy
Quote Reply

Prev Next