Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread
Quote | Reply
Let's get another discussion going around the Muskoka events now that Tremblant 70.3 is done. I was a big proponent that this would be a great venue. I first raced there in 90 when it was Royal Lepage Canadian Series Champs, then 91 when it was nationals. 92 it was ITU world's venue won by Simon Lessing and Michelle Jones.

From 1997 till around 2009 raced the old Muskoka long course which was 2k swim-55k bike and 15 run...one of the best distances to race the redline...when they added the Long Course 70.3 I heard it was hard as St. Croix and based on Crowie's times at both venues, that was certainly the case when I did it in 2012. I have not had a chance to go back recently, but there are enough folks around here who can answer the latest and greatest. And I can get answers from the RD if you guys need me to, soo fire away.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any race I have to drive up or down the 400 on a weekend is out for me. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking around for the confirmed start list for the PRO race. I'm going to be there on the day with a group of training buddies and I'd like to know who I have the potential opportunity to see race. I haven't found anything published anywhere. Are these details that are easy to find typically?

Any help is appreciated.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering IM Muskoka, as it is still open. According to my Garmin from Muskoka 70.3 in 2013 the bike was 58.1 miles with 3408ft of gain (is that accurate?). If accurate, how does roughly 6800ft of gain over 112 miles compare to other Ironman courses? My Garmin also gave me 37 total feet of gain for Florida's 112 bike.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently rode the course and the final tallies my Garmin gave me were:

• 95.5km
    Distance
  • 1,353m
    Elevation

Strava Details here: https://www.strava.com/activities/310252331

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Jun 24, 15 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy doing his first 70.3 this year. We were looking at the past results for M30-34, and the winners were only doing like 36km/h (even once adjusting for the 94km route). The mont tremblant M30-34 winner did 41km/h on the bike, and MT seems to have a reputation for a tough bike as well.

So I guess my/our question is: what's the deal with the bike course? Is it even hillier than IMMT, or is it always windy, or has there been bad weather the last couple years?

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing I have heard is Sanders mentioned he was doing the half in a post race interview at MT last weekend. The bib list has a few pros listed, no big names listed yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muskoka has a lot more hills than Tremblant and unlike Tremblant, many of the hills have sharp turns at the bottom which means you have to scrub off a lot of speed on the descents. The conditions of the roads in Muskoka are also nowhere near as good as Tremblant. So yes, you can expect a significantly lower avg speed on the Muskoka bike course than the Tremblant bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Scott_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of detail we were looking for. Sounds like that has inspired him to do a course-drive in the car on Saturday. Is that a workable idea? Is it going to be swarming with bikes?

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done muskoka 70.3 before and last year did IMMT. I find muskoka a much more challenging bike course. In Mont Tremblant there were sections where you can settle in a cruise for a while. In muskoka the hills are nonstop. You crest one and bam there is another in your face. Classic sawtooth course. This year doing both the 70.3 and the full in muskoka and excited to have them both in my resume. In the past having been able to say I did muskoka 70.3 and with people who know races they respect the toughness of the course. A real test and potential meltdowns are possible if you overcook the bike.. It's kind of a real shame the 70.3 was moved to July. Had a nice conversation with Mirinda a couple years ago because the sept timing of the past races gave a good test to them just a month out from Kona. I have heard it was a favourite of Crowie for the same reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can definitely do a course recon by car. The highway sections have wide shoulders so passing cyclists is not a problem. You will have to be more careful on the narrower more hilly/windy backroads which make up about half the bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
I have a buddy doing his first 70.3 this year. We were looking at the past results for M30-34, and the winners were only doing like 36km/h (even once adjusting for the 94km route). The mont tremblant M30-34 winner did 41km/h on the bike, and MT seems to have a reputation for a tough bike as well.

So I guess my/our question is: what's the deal with the bike course? Is it even hillier than IMMT, or is it always windy, or has there been bad weather the last couple years?

The Muskoka 70.3 course is one of the slowest out there for several reasons:

1. Obviously it's long at ~94 km. Coupled with the other factors that make it a slow course, average power is significantly lower than a fast 90 km course.
  2. It's very hilly with well over 1,000 m (3,000 ft) of elevation gain, mostly in the form of unrelenting sharp climbs and descents ("sawtooth" terrain).
  3. Sections of the course are on rough roads with lots of chipseal. Testing by STer rruff suggested that chipseal is ~1-2 km/h slower than normal asphalt.
  4. The rough roads and chipseal not only directly reduce your speed by impacting Crr, but probably also have some adverse affect on the power you can sustain due to the vibration.
  5. There are several turns that require hard braking.
  6. Muskoka 70.3 used to be in September with temperatures typically in the low teens Celsius at the start of the bike. That means higher air density and tire rolling resistance. The new July date should be a fair bit warmer.

For all these reasons, only a handful of pro men have cracked 40 km/h average speed on the Muskoka 70.3 course.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I recently rode the course and the final tallies my Garmin gave me were:

• 95.5km
    Distance
  • 1,353m
    Elevation

Strava Details here: https://www.strava.com/activities/310252331

Your elevation data looks a bit high...should be around 1100 to 1200m. Distance should be 94k.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What will be consider fast times on the bike for age groups 30-34 and 35-39 for the full?

What is the run like for the full?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
AHare wrote:

The Muskoka 70.3 course is one of the slowest out there for several reasons:

1. Obviously it's long at ~94 km. Coupled with the other factors that make it a slow course, average power is significantly lower than a fast 90 km course.
  2. It's very hilly with well over 1,000 m (3,000 ft) of elevation gain, mostly in the form of unrelenting sharp climbs and descents ("sawtooth" terrain).
  3. Sections of the course are on rough roads with lots of chipseal. Testing by STer rruff suggested that chipseal is ~1-2 km/h slower than normal asphalt.
  4. The rough roads and chipseal not only directly reduce your speed by impacting Crr, but probably also have some adverse affect on the power you can sustain due to the vibration.
  5. There are several turns that require hard braking.
  6. Muskoka 70.3 used to be in September with temperatures typically in the low teens Celsius at the start of the bike. That means higher air density and tire rolling resistance. The new July date should be a fair bit warmer.

For all these reasons, only a handful of pro men have cracked 40 km/h average speed on the Muskoka 70.3 course.

One more reason for the slowness is T1. You get out of the water and there is this massive climb to run up to the top of the Deerhurst resort parking lot. Probably most age groupers spike their power to 400-500W (depending on weight) before they even get on the bike. The run to T1 is not super long, but slow. Also while the weather might be faster with a July temp on the bike, it may result in slower run times.

Also people should remember that the full IM course is not exactly 2x the 70.3. The first out and back to the main loop you do only once and in the full IM, you do the loop 2x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Garmin file I saw showed the 3 longest climbs to be only 2-3% grades, and the dude said there was very little braking before any of the uphills.

I guess we should believe Paul and Cody though!

Same course for everybody regardless.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything sub 5 on the bike would be impressive, to throw a number out there maybe 3.5 w/kg? Fwiw I've ridden tremblant 70.3 and muskoka 70.3 at very similar power on the same equipment and tremblant was 16 min faster.

Run course will be very weather dependent. They have flattened it from previous versions, still a few decent hills in it, but it's very exposed so sun/wind could have a big impact.

I could be wrong but my guess is 9:45 in either of those age groups puts you on the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 2:35 bike split at Muskoka and rode a 2:18 at the 70.3 WC at Tremblant. Factoring in the extra 2.5 miles at Muskoka there is probably a 10-12 min difference. At the IM distance I'd think any bike time under 5:15 at Muskoka would put you in a good position for the run.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Say youre a 140lb guy... disc wheel for Muskoka 140.6?

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yoe400800 wrote:
Say youre a 140lb guy... disc wheel for Muskoka 140.6?

Absolutely yes. The answer is always DISC unless we're talking about only a handful of the most extreme triathlon courses.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know if it will be wave starts for the full?
Quote Reply
Re: Muskoka 70.3 and 140.6 Q+A Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was originally mass, most recent I've heard lately is rolling start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea registration #'s for the full so far?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
Was originally mass, most recent I've heard lately is rolling start

I will check in on this for you guys. When originally announced last year, it was mass start. I THINK with a moderate field size wide lake and difficulty of bike course, mass would be just fine, but having done the rolling start again at IM Texas this year after first doing it at IMLP 2013, I am a big fan. At Muskoka a rolling start will make it ulta super duper clean, which I feel is a great thing.

The only downside for FOP guys is that they don't know where they are in the field, but we already have that problem at 70.3's with multiple wave fields (last weekend at Tremblant 70.3 I missed the podium by less than minute, but the reality was I was weak late in the run and stopped pushing myself).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cshowe80 wrote:
I've been looking around for the confirmed start list for the PRO race. I'm going to be there on the day with a group of training buddies and I'd like to know who I have the potential opportunity to see race. I haven't found anything published anywhere. Are these details that are easy to find typically?

Any help is appreciated.

Here is who is registered to race pro. I know that Cody for example is on the fence. We need to work on Cody's coaches so that they authorize a re match with the Colonel.

Sanders, Lionel

Beals, Cody

Amorelli, Igor

Beardsall, Andrew

Boggs, Ian

Brisindi, Patrice

Cavelier, Sacha

Chase, Nicholas

Crawford, Guy

Cyr, Edward

Eickelberg, Tom

Glavac, Nick