Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have a water temp update? I'm sitting around feeling pretty good, figured I need something to provide a source of anxiety.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [phabio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I think the next 7 days might push things over the top....you guys might want to do some 2.4 mile open water no wetsuit swims assuming you have water access.

TodayJul 14

81°F
60°F
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:40% WIND:WNW at 5 mph
Details
MonJul 15

85°
59°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0% WIND:WNW at 9 mph
Details
TueJul 16

83°
60°
Mostly Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:10% WIND:NNW at 6 mph
Details
WedJul 17

84°
62°
Partly Cloudy
CHANCE OF RAIN:10% WIND:W at 7 mph
Details
ThuJul 18

76°
58°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:30% WIND:NW at 5 mph
Details
FriJul 19

77°
52°
Isolated T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:30% WIND:NW at 6 mph
Details
SatJul 20

69°
45°
Scattered T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:40% WIND:N at 6 mph
Details
SunJul 21

70°
47°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0% WIND:NNE at 5 mph
Details
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have faith
the night time temps are coming down....
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [TheBeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leaving the wet suit home.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Dev. Anxiety restored. Taper is as it should be.

You be there this year?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Nesta [ In reply to ]
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Jookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...that response makes no sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so 5 days in the low 80's followed by nights dipping into the low 50's and 40's is enough to freak out over?

Unless it is hot the week of the race...it won't matter.

now...where do i order my swim skin. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A side from Kona, this will be my first ever non-wetsuit triathlon. Looking at the forecast, not much doubt it will be no wetsuits for those who wish. I will lose 6-8 minutes in the swim, but save 20 seconds by not having to remove a wetsuit. There is always a silver lining.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an odd duck of a thread. Why is not wearing wet suits a big deal? I assume everyone can swim 2.4 miles with some degree of proficiency, you will just do so a bit slower, why all the drama?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a wetsuit malfunction just before entering the water for a race two years ago. Consequently, I had to run up the beach, stow it, and swim in my race attire. The water was in the 78-79F range, and throughout the entire swim I had three distinct thoughts:

1.) I'm definitely swimming slower without my wetsuit.
2.) This feels so much better than wearing a wetsuit.
3.) #2 >> #1.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me I am a weak swimmer so no w/s really hurts me. It is a race and I want to go as fast as I can. W/o a w/s I am definitely not as fast as I could be. I know it is all relative, 99% of the people will also be slower. No drama, just facts. You are obviously a strong swimmer, yes......

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Strong" is an adjective rarely used in reference to my swimming, Barry! :) But as you said, it is a constant all participants, at least those with aspirational desires, are handicapped with. And the I have never felt the "math" on certain people being meaningfully faster in a wet suit then not, in relation to everyone else, is a bit exaggerated. I don't think anyone receives a bonus advantage using one vs. not that is substantially different from any one else, if that makes sense.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes perfectly logical sense.

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan's comments are spot on.

That said, that little lake could dump a lot of heat in the last 5 days where temps look to be back in the 70s with nightime lows in the 40s.

I'm betting wetsuit, but planning on none.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheBeek wrote:
Bryan's comments are spot on.

That said, that little lake could dump a lot of heat in the last 5 days where temps look to be back in the 70s with nightime lows in the 40s.

I'm betting wetsuit, but planning on none.

Lows in the low 50s and high 40s would imply very low humidity levels leading to a good deal more evaporative cooling than you see with higher dew points. The associated clear night skies that will yield a good deal of radiational cooling as well. The upshot to me is that if the forecast holds true the lake will cool very rapidly and wetsuits will be allowed for all.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
This is an odd duck of a thread. Why is not wearing wet suits a big deal? I assume everyone can swim 2.4 miles with some degree of proficiency, you will just do so a bit slower, why all the drama?

^^^^THIS^^^^

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would not be surprised to see the RD out in the middle of the lake with about 10 fathoms of line attached to a thermometer to make it so. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, if it goes no wetties, how do they know who went without one and is therefore competing for KQ/prizes?

Do they take numbers at the start line?

Do you have to be super careful to make sure you're accounted for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question

Barry Dmitruk

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They'll have to keep track of what athletes are wearing wetsuits, and change their category in the computer. They may even have two mats for the two groups. Since its a WTC race, I think they'll also have to look for the non-legal swimskins (non textile, covering the shoulders and knees, or something like that). Race directors will usually move all of the wetsuits back so they're the last wave entering the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ya know...for a 31 x IM Finisher...and 7 X Kona Finisher...you seem to be giving up awfully fast. but hey...don't let the extended forecast change your mind ;)

SatJul 20

73°
51°
Isolated T-Storms
CHANCE OF RAIN:30% WIND:N at 6 mph
Details
SunJul 21

68°
43°
Mostly Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0% WIND:N at 5 mph
Details
MonJul 22

73°
48°
Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:0% WIND:NE at 3 mph
Details
TueJul 23

75°
52°
Scattered Showers
CHANCE OF RAIN:30% WIND:SE at 6 mph
Details
WedJul 24

76°
53°
Showers
CHANCE OF RAIN:60% WIND:SE at 6 mph

You and anybody competing in the men's 40-44 AG...please...just go ahead and leave your wetsuit's at home. No chance what-so-ever it will be legal on race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Out of curiosity, if it goes no wetties, how do they know who went without one and is therefore competing for KQ/prizes?

it's amazing what a timing chip around your ankle and a little I.T. work will do.
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If wetsuits were NOT allowed anyone opting for a wetsuit would
a) Leave after everyone else has left, we chip them in that way...or leave consecutively within the race.
b) No be eligible for Kona slots or any awards
c) Would still get a finish time and medal etc...

Marc
Quote Reply
Re: Might as well start FREAKING OUT: Mirror Lake temperatures.... [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
Quote:

it's amazing what a timing chip around your ankle and a little I.T. work will do.

I'm sorry to be thick, but with no time separation between those wearing wetsuits and not, how will chips resolve the difference?
Quote Reply

Prev Next