Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: May Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used those, but they are the same shape. The equivalent size of mine would be the black XL version. I think the TYR's are maybe more flexible? Also is that a raised lip around the outside? I can see that being beneficial in a crowded pool, but otherwise I would take it off.

If I ever did any stroke other than free for pulling I might get a smaller pair. and of course, finger strap only for me.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think TYR has made a couple of versions of the Catalyst. There's no lip around mine, they're these ones... There is a bit of flex to them

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 21, 19 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been unseasonably cold here the last couple days; did a group ride last night and it was a bone chiller. Its still gray, cold, and windy today which ; didn't really want to go to the pool. Negotiated myself down to "just a warmup and a short sprint set, then if I'm still not feeling it, I'll leave." Ended up being a good workout. I kept my fins on after my warmup kick for some UDK 25's, then decided to do a few 25's fly with the fins, something I rarely do. Whoa, banged out some easy low 15 second reps. Took the fins off, and did a couple rounds of 4x25 fly on :45. Easy low :16's on the first set. Went a little harder on the second round, saw sub-:15 'son the last 2. First time I've been that fast for a 25 fly in a couple years. (Spent much of last year working on fly endurance over fly speed). Short recovery swim, then into 3 rounds of 4x25 free at 100 race effort, first 2 rounds on :45 and the last on 1:00. Strokes feeling good, times were really solid and steady. As I often do to finish a set like this, I took an extra 60 seconds rest before the final rep, and went no-breath, 50 free race effort. Touched at :12.81; first time under :13 in a year! After another short recovery swim, I did a set of 5x100 pull on 2:00 for best average, and held 1:08's all the way. Then a short cool down, 2400 yards total.

I don't have nearly the endurance I had this time last year, but after 13 weeks of 3x~2200yards, at least my stroke and 15 second power are back on point. For triathlon purposes, I should be able to get my 1-1.2 mile endurance pace to within 3% of my swim-only peak with 8 or 10 weeks of focused training focused on that.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm looking through the heat sheets now and kicking myself for not swimming in the fall and not wanting to go... There are a few races I'd have a shot at winning my AG, at least based on the heat sheets. Arrgh.

then I age up next year and will have to race Streppel again, who'll probably crush me...

Hey I resemble that comment (about being in the same age group as Streppel and him crushing me, then again, everyone crushes me). I'll be aging up to 55 next year, which just means getting crushed by the next guy,

Friday I have 1500 free, 100 fly, 200IM
Saturday 25 free, 200 breast
Sunday 400IM, 200 fly, 800 free

I am doing 7 of 8 relays (two 100 flys, one 50 fly, the rest free) . My key events are 1500 free on Day one and 400IM on day 3. The rest its about gathering experience. Based on the psych sheets I actually have a chance to medal in the 400IM and 800 free as no one seems to want to do them on day 3.

Thursday I'll start the fur shave down process. I mumbled something under my breath about this to my wife before leaving home this morning for work in Montreal. Not sure if she caught on to the silliness, but she may laugh at me when I get home.

Thursday morning, I'll have a swim at the Olympic pool before work. As suggested by you guys...easy stuff, lots of rest, a few sprints. Tomorrow on the hotel spin bike and stretch.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumour is that nationals are going to be in Toronto next year. See you there, hopefully??

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel kind of beat up from today's swim. Longest pool session in awhile for 2500m SCM. Guessing it had something to do with some paddle work using the FINIS ISO Paddles and then gunning the intervals that followed.

4x50 (1:03, 1:06, 1:02, 1:07) last two with paddles, 15 sec rest
4x100 (2:18, 2:13, 1:53, 1:58) first two with paddles, 25 sec rest
4x200 (4:30, 4:34, 4:18, 4:26) first two with paddles, 30 sec rest
2x400 (9:34, 10:02) 1 min rest
2x100 (2:29, 2:33) 30 sec rest
2x50 (1:17, 1:17) 20 sec rest

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam long course today at the outdoor pool here in Montreal (Parc Jean Drapeau). What a treat.
It is taper week for me as I have a half marathon on Sunday, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to swim at such a great pool.
Endurance focus with back stroke technical prep set.

WU: 200 swim/200 kick/200IM

Prep:
8x50 pull @ 1:10
4x100 back drill/swim @ 2:10
8x50 descending 1-4, holding 5-8 @ 55

MS:
8x100 @ 1:50 (just make it)

CD: 3x100 pull/kick/swim

Total: 2900SCM

There was another ~800m back to the MS that I skipped out on, taper week has it's benefits!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm looking through the heat sheets now and kicking myself for not swimming in the fall and not wanting to go... There are a few races I'd have a shot at winning my AG, at least based on the heat sheets. Arrgh.

then I age up next year and will have to race Streppel again, who'll probably crush me...

Hey I resemble that comment (about being in the same age group as Streppel and him crushing me, then again, everyone crushes me). I'll be aging up to 55 next year, which just means getting crushed by the next guy,

Friday I have 1500 free, 100 fly, 200IM
Saturday 25 free, 200 breast
Sunday 400IM, 200 fly, 800 free

I am doing 7 of 8 relays (two 100 flys, one 50 fly, the rest free) . My key events are 1500 free on Day one and 400IM on day 3. The rest its about gathering experience. Based on the psych sheets I actually have a chance to medal in the 400IM and 800 free as no one seems to want to do them on day 3.

Thursday I'll start the fur shave down process. I mumbled something under my breath about this to my wife before leaving home this morning for work in Montreal. Not sure if she caught on to the silliness, but she may laugh at me when I get home.

Thursday morning, I'll have a swim at the Olympic pool before work. As suggested by you guys...easy stuff, lots of rest, a few sprints. Tomorrow on the hotel spin bike and stretch.

Even Olympic swimmers need someone to help them shave.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 10k run w/ 2 mi @ 8:34 and 1.5 mi @ 8:27
today 3.2 mi easy run, 2100 scm swim

yup, you read that right - travel for work and was in a meter pool. Fun little change and a little more tiring and a little more painful ;-)

400 w/u kick the last 50
4 x 100 on 1:40
6 x [100 fast + 50 kick] 1:23-1:24
400 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tonight:

600 skps
2x50 kick
8x50 (d1-3 twice, then 7&8 fastish) @:55
4x50 dr/swim

Main set
10x100 @1:30 descend in groups of 2 (1:22s down to 1:14 and 1:12 on the last 2)
1:00 rest
10x50@:45 (4fast, 1 ez). These hurt. It got kinda ugly

200 ez warmdown

3100m total

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 22, 19 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5.5 mi run w/ 5k progressive 8:20-8:06/mi
1125 yd swim

swim was pretty random, did a total of 200 stroke

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the thread in general.... I'm thinking of getting one of these for Pride Week, it's at the end of July here. It might put me right over the edge into the "denizen" category though....

https://www.speedousa.com/...-brief-style-7300265

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you have to. Some denim ones would be a good idea too.

Did a final short swim this afternoon. ~1000m with some fast 50s. Felt good I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooohh, denim! That's a great idea. Or black leather....

Have fun this weekend, and good luck!!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey is the pool in Parc Jean Drapeau heated at this time of year and how many weeks is it open for. I'm in Montreal and swam at the Olympic pool this morning before work. Tomorrow off to nationals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Rumour is that nationals are going to be in Toronto next year. See you there, hopefully??

I will certainly go if it is in Toronto. One more year to get to learn this sport.

I am all de-furred now. Just got that done. Tomorrow starts with 1500 free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s almost Summer! The ocean hasn’t been notified, though. Temperature was rising. Not much, reaching a high of 63. But, recent storms have sucked any heat it had.
We didn’t swim Monday because of wind and rain. Tuesday shocked us with 55° water. I wore my SwimRun suit, but experienced numb fingers and feet, along with an ice cream headache. Others were still just skin only. It was so bad, nobody wanted to go back in Wednesday. We reconvened this morning at Shaw’s Cove. I was smart enough to bring my full wetsuit. The others, hoping for a bit warmer temp, swam skin. It wasn’t! It dropped even more! Patty’s watch reported 53.6°. Even in my wetsuit, that was tough. The others had some mad shivers after we finished, but I was ok. 2125 yards on Tuesday, Wednesday had me running 7.3 miles on trails followed by a 22 mile ride in the Orange County Triathlon course. And today, the bitter cold swim clocked in at 2461 yards and followed this afternoon with a run on the OC Tri course. I’m not racing the Tri. Just supporting the GF racing the duathlon.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey is the pool in Parc Jean Drapeau heated at this time of year and how many weeks is it open for. I'm in Montreal and swam at the Olympic pool this morning before work. Tomorrow off to nationals.

Yup. The air was chilly, but water temp was about 23ÂşC when I swam there on Wednesday. More info can be found here: http://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/...al/#schedule_section
I'm not 100% sure if the long course pool is open to the public at all times, might be best to call and check with them. Alternatively, you can always drop in with my Masters group (McGill MUMS). Next practices are tonight @ 18:30 and Monday 06:30. I'll be there Monday. Both will be an endurance IM focus. If Jess is the coach, she's not great but you can usually do your own thing.

This morning was butterfly technical. Lots of drills, kicking, one arm, and work with fins. One of the more brutal parts of the main set was 4x200 basic fly (kick/right arm/left arm/swim by 50m). 3050SCM in total.

Good luck to all at Nats this weekend! This past year has been a huge run focus for me, but hope to join you all next year.
Last edited by: vijeet88: May 24, 19 9:08
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link to "live" results page - should be updated after completion of each event.

https://live.swimrankings.net/24789/index_us.html

Cheer on the ST virtual team, today's events, Zenmaster28 is up for the 1500, 100br and 200 free today, and Dev Paul in the 100 fly and 200IM

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably felt fatigued from the day before because I gave blood. Honestly no idea how the guys on T26 say 50%, 80%, and 100%. I think I've my moderate and my 100% down, or at least that's about how it feels. 1800 SCM. Meant to get 2500. But decided to bang it.

6x50 (1:01, 1:05, Paddles-1:06, 1:15, All out- 0:52, 0:59) 15 Sec Rest
5x100 (2:21, 2:24, 2:25, 2:23, 2:13), first two iso paddles, 25 Sec Rest
5x200 ( 4:52, 4:57, 5:06, 5:05, 5:00), first two iso paddles, 45 sec rest.

I think those two 50m sprints just wrecked the rest of my set, honestly, in addition to the whole blood donation.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1500 done in 18:18. Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted that time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
1500 done in 18:18. Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted that time!

Holy shit!!! That’s awesome!!! I see mike was right behind you in 18:22. Those are some great swims.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 24, 19 14:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Holy shit!!! That’s awesome!!! I see mike was right behind you in 18:22. Those are some great swims.

I had no idea what was going on with the others. I could see one guy a couple of lanes over that lapped me right at the end but couldn't tell past that who was where.

My last 100 was my fastest - I might have waited too long to pick it up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Congrats I am set up by the window behind the techno sport team. Indian guy wearing a parka

Congrats on your race. I had a 29 second Pb in the 1500m 23:34, so blew away my time goal. I guess the shave down works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at splits now. You were behind mike at the 1400, but you brought it home in a 1:09! All that work is paying off.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next