Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: May Fish Thread [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem when I do 16x50 IM order (for me on 1 minute) is that when I hit the breast stroke and then over to free, there is almost zero rest because my breast stroke is barely under 60 seconds per 50m....so the rest is almost a "slow turn". I am trying to get my breast stroke faster so that I can do this workout on 1 minute...generally for the fly I get 12 seconds rest, free 15 seconds rest, back 10-12 seconds....breast is only 2-3 seconds or so.

I am doing the 200 breast at Swim Canada Masters nationals next week in an effort to get that stroke a bit faster. Big goal for next week is 400IM sub 7 (currently at 7:06) , 200 fly sub 3:30 (currently at 3:33) and 1500 free sub 24 (currently 24:03).....so getting close to my goals for this year.

Today was 4200m swim

• 1000m warmup with four 100m IMs built in
  • 400m kick with fins
  • 2x500m as 5 (25 hard fly-25 easy free-25 hard free-25 easy free)
  • 200m dolphin kick on side
  • 400IM steady
  • 400m fins 8x(25 fly sprint+25m easy kick on back)
  • 200m dolphin kick on side
  • 1x500m (200m IM+50 free + 50 fly + 100 free + 25 fly +75 free) (all stroke hard, all free easy)
  • 100m breast cool down

Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bump up your off time for the breast repeats. That’s pretty standard.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning, I swam in some of the nastiest ocean conditions I’ve encountered, or been willing to go out in. With big surf, wind, rain and high tide that has real waves from one direction, wind chop from another and due to high tide, reflected waves bouncing off the rocks and cliffs in the area. I elected to swim loops in the cove for relative safety. I got in only 1800 before deciding enough was enough. Water near shore is 57-58° with outside edging over 60. No wetsuit.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just leaving this one here. I like getting those little glimpses into how world class swimmers train. A few practices by Sarah Sjostrom leading up to Rio....

Check out the August 1, 2016 practice.
Broken 100.... 2 x 50 @ :50 Fly (25.9, 27.3)!!!!!!!!!

Not sure of these were LCM or SCM, Probably a mix....

https://swimswam.com/...om-swim-in-practice/

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn... that's impressive.

3300 scm this morning
300 wu
6x50 descend 1-3 on :60
100 kick
10 x 200, first 6 on 2:50, last 4 on 2:45. Mostly 2:32 & a couple 2:33 mixed in. Last one was 2:29
200 ez
200 all out - 2:19 which is the second fastest 200 I've ever done as an adult after the 200 at the last meet.
100 CD

Kinda happy with how that went. Should have done all 10 on 2:45 but I was cautious at the start.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Damn... that's impressive.

3300 scm this morning
300 wu
6x50 descend 1-3 on :60
100 kick
10 x 200, first 6 on 2:50, last 4 on 2:45. Mostly 2:32 & a couple 2:33 mixed in. Last one was 2:29
200 ez
200 all out - 2:19 which is the second fastest 200 I've ever done as an adult after the 200 at the last meet.
100 CD

Kinda happy with how that went. Should have done all 10 on 2:45 but I was cautious at the start.

I was about to call you a liar, but yeah, you're right. I thought you went quicker than that the first time we raced each other back in Nov '14.... Looked it up and that was a 2:20. Well done, you've improved a LOT!!

For shits and giggles, I looked up my times from that same meet. Provincials '19 was very slightly quicker than Nov '14. (about 1s in the 200 free, 0.2 in the 50 fly and 0.04 in the 100 fly) I'm using the excuse that I'm still not in really good shape, and swimming way less than I was then.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 17, 19 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to go look to be sure but yeah big improvements! I've taken it a lot more seriously the last 3 years and go figure but that has worked. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5 mi run
1275 yd swim

500 w/u
3 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:17, 1:17, 1:16
50 kick
275 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nathan Adrian is back in action at the Bloomington IN Pro Swim Series, first meet post-cancer. 49.8 in the 100 free prelims, that's awesome to see...

http://www.swmeets.com/...es/2019/Bloomington/

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

OK I will try it today. After every breast leg I'll start 10 seconds later....so on the first IM "set" I start on the top of the clock... but after breast I move to 10 past.....before I go to second round of breast, it's starting on 20, then 30, then 40, then 50, then 60. So that makes it simple to do 24x50m. I'll give it a go today and report back. This should actually be a good set for the 400IM and 200IM next weekend in Montreal.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technical drills this AM.

WU: 300 easy/200 IM/4x50 kick
Prep: 2x free/back
4x50 100m pace with turns at easy pace, concentrating on form
4x50 easy swim with hard turns
MS:
4x50 fingertip drag drill (free)
4x50 one arm free with fins, but the other arm was by your side not streamlined. The goal here was to emphasize shoulder rotation
4x50 kayak drill with flutter boards. New one for me. It really forces you to have a good stroke through the water. https://vimeo.com/143767995
4x50 one arm back with fins, with the other arm by your side.
Dives:
16x25 hard drive and sprint to the end and flip turn with no push off

CD:
400 easy

Total: 2700 SCM

Might do my first OWS this weekend in Lake Ontario. Looks to be a chillly 44ÂşF!!! Will be happy to do a 500m out and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

OK I did the 24x50 on ~ 1 minute today.

Actually what I did was take 8 seconds of rest after each leg, other than after free when I took more like 10 seconds leading into the fly so that I could do the fly with better quality. This basically allowed me to start each "200IM" on 4 minutes even though I was not leaving exactly on 4 min.

So it was like this

• fly 46-48 seconds + ~8 second
  • back 52 seconds + ~8
  • breast 58-61 seconds + ~8
  • free 45-48 seconds + 10

Total 4 minutes per 4x50 and repeated 6 times. I would just vary the free pace depending on how fast I needed to go to "catch up" to the 4 min departure time. As 7 minutes is my goal for the 400IM, I was basically doing the swim legs at 400IM race pace (total swim time was just under 3:30 per 200m virtual IM). Does that make sense or should I be able to do each leg more like 200IM race pace (by the way, my 200IM fastest this year is 3:32 and my 400IM is 7:06....it makes no sense that I just keep going the same pace for both given that I don't get two dives for the 400IM vs one dive for 200IM).

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it makes no sense that I just keep going the same pace for both given that I don't get two dives for the 400IM vs one dive for 200IM). //

It makes a ton of sense to us Dev, once we see your workouts and times. You are basically just doing ultra distance training for the IM. If you do one speed in workout all day, you will race at one speed too. You need to do those 50's on the 2 minutes minimum, probably 3 is better. And with that amount of rest, they better be faster than you would be going in a 200IM, by a lot!! We get that you are pumped by doing such huge distances of IM, but really, your stroke has devolved into a channel crossing one with those workouts you keep doing.

You want to race fast like a swimmer, train like one!!! (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty’s right, that’s a distance workout. More importantly, that’s a mid season distance workout. What you need to be doing now, with just a week to go, is sharpening and building speed. It’s like you’re afraid to take rest, because rest is bad or something. It’s nit, speed is your friend, And you don’t get speed by being fatigued. Swim fast, then take time to recover with some easy stuff, then swim faster, easy, faster again... if you can get in like a 4:1 or 6:1 easy / fast ratio, that’s going to pay dividends.

I also noticed that you started running again. That’s not going to help you leading into nationals. Put the running on hold. You should be tapering now. That means you don’t even take the stairs if there’s an elevator. You sit instead of stand, you lie down instead of sit.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 17, 19 16:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
felt really nauseous this morning.

3.4 mi run
1825 yd swim

18 x 100 on 1:35
25 kick c/d

It's unlikely I'll swim tomorrow, but my 7450 yds this week is the most I've swum a week in awhile... LOL

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: May 18, 19 7:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long Swim today – 5820 yards. I knew I was going long and brought my SwimRun wetsuit. Good thing as the first mile was 57°. Alistair, the beast from New Zealand, elected to go with me, sans wetsuit. He didn’t want to go as far as I planned and I didn’t want to tack on the extra 2k. But, rounding past Bird Rock, the water temp picked up a few degrees. Nevertheless, we realized we’d have to swim back through the colder water and cut it short, turning back at Shaw’s Cove buoy. We had the current with us on the return and it seems to have pulled some of that warmer water south, making it a little more tolerable. Felt real good and not even exhausted from holding a 1:23 pace.
Tomorrow, I have an aquathlon down at La Jolla Shores – a one mile swim and 5k beach run. Should be very fun. Last year Michellie Jones won it overall. I can’t outrun her, by a long shot, but I might be able to outswim her. Hope she shows up.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, today I did a fun thing.

• 5x50m (25 m under water dolphin hard with fins, 25 m kick easy on back)....20 seconds rest
  • 5x50m (25 m under water dolphin hard no fins, 25 m kick easy on back)....20 seconds rest

The cool part was the 25m no fins was 28-31 kicks. I had not tried this in a long time and previously it was 38-41 kicks. This was fun.

Jason, I am enjoying running again. Its been a long hiatus for almost 5 years. I hope to do a sprint tri in 3 weeks from now and s few more sprint tris over the summer and maybe an Olympic tri. I'll cut back on running starting middle of next week. Its been a long road back to running and the more I am running my breast stroke kick left leg control and force is getting better as is my fly kick because I can't cheat on land like in water. But won't run second half of next week for sure. My runs are quite short (like 30 min on average).
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Long Swim today – 5820 yards. I knew I was going long and brought my SwimRun wetsuit. Good thing as the first mile was 57°. Alistair, the beast from New Zealand, elected to go with me, sans wetsuit. He didn’t want to go as far as I planned and I didn’t want to tack on the extra 2k. But, rounding past Bird Rock, the water temp picked up a few degrees. Nevertheless, we realized we’d have to swim back through the colder water and cut it short, turning back at Shaw’s Cove buoy. We had the current with us on the return and it seems to have pulled some of that warmer water south, making it a little more tolerable. Felt real good and not even exhausted from holding a 1:23 pace.
Tomorrow, I have an aquathlon down at La Jolla Shores – a one mile swim and 5k beach run. Should be very fun. Last year Michellie Jones won it overall. I can’t outrun her, by a long shot, but I might be able to outswim her. Hope she shows up.

Best of luck. Make Michellie hurt (on the swim)!!! Sounds like the zero taper race given you big expedition swim today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you’re enjoying it, but it’s not helping your swim. Running will be there after nationals. If you miss your goal time by 0.5s,

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When do you guys stop doing weights? I figure this is good for fast twitch and large strength/neural gains can be made in a small time....which is why you guys are telling me to do 50's on 3 min rest (same energy system vs aerobic). I figure tomorrow would be last weight session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was going to Nats, I would have stopped weights 2 weeks ago.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped 20 years ago. :) I have also inadvertently stopped running but only because it's so damn cold!
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck in La Jolla Steve, that sounds fun, wish I could join you. We have the end of season little league gathering at Angel stadium and the game against the Royals tomorrow. So it will be hot dogs, popcorn, and lots of screaming for the home team for me, maybe get in a little swim before we leave. Today was closing ceremonies, so I had exactly 20 minutes to swim this morning, so just packed this in:

4x100@1;40(1;21's)
1000p descend(12;50)6;32/6;18
1400SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And in more swim news, this time from Atlanta.

https://swimswam.com/...2-finals-live-recap/

Caeleb Dressel set a new PB in his 200 fly, by 22 seconds!!!! (He hadn’t swum it long course since 2012).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty incredible to think this in season time is just a few seconds off of qualifying for the games, and not too far from a medal either!! I want to see the showdown in the 100 free with Dean Faris, that should be a great untapered race. See he won the 100 breast too, decent 1;01. Figure his 200IM will be pretty good too. Dude can just swim anything, lets put him in the 400 next!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next