Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: May Fish Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, sounds like he’s swimming the 100 breast and 2fly as prep races for the 2IM. I think there’s about a snowballs chance in hell that he actually swims either of those at trials.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Yeah, sounds like he’s swimming the 100 breast and 2fly as prep races for the 2IM. I think there’s about a snowballs chance in hell that he actually swims either of those at trials.

In that same vein would doing the 200 back and 200 breast earlier in a season be good prep for a 200IM. similar duration but you do the single stroke both fresh and also more fatigued? Is that the idea why he is doing 200 fly
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the 200 fly specifically is more about the back half of the 100 fly than about the 2IM, although it doesn’t hurt. The 100 breast is definitely about the 2IM.

I was actually watching something the other day on USA swimming’s site about Dana Vollmers training for the 100 fly. One of the many takeaways from that is how important training for the 200 is to be a great 100 flyer.

Edit for autocorrect

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 19, 19 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I really wonder what he eventual goals are? He can swim so many events, he has lots of choices. Like you said, the schedule will have to play a big part in it. But when you are this dominant, you are one of the few that can actually do a tiny bit of sandbagging in prelims, and that could be a big advantage on days with finals and prelims very close.

It looks like he can swim all frees up to 200, both fly's, 100 breast, and 200IM. So that is 7 individual events to choose from. He will certainly be on all the relays(is that allowed now with the mixed?) So that is 5 events? That is going to be mind boggling for his coach, and him of course...

Now some might discount his 100 breast and 200 fly, but we really dont know if he thinks he could win those two events. More so the 200 fly, just because of who in the world is competing, but that 50 flat yard untapered time, and this 1;01 shows he might just have a 58 low in him. The fly, who knows, but coming home faster than just about anyone ever has, shows promise for a tapered swim to be the best in the world..Just chances, his other events are known medal favorites, some of them gold..
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was the first time in OWS this year. Over an hour in the Mighty Ohio River in Louisville, KY. Water temp was 67°F/19°C and the current in the main channel was 1.6mph/2.5kph. No wetsuit. Fun!

This is part of the IM Louisville swim course, but instead of swimming as far upriver and as far downriver, we just did two laps around Towhead Island. For reference, the current is never this fast during the IM race. Lots of diagonal swimming!

~4000m
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got some deep cuts on my hands thanks to a slide on gravel last week and with my A race coming up in two weeks, I'm downright panicking about my swimming, which was feeling better for the first time in a year. So two questions: how much does it help to be doing resistance bands in swimming motion while the hands heal? and 2) do I have to wait for the scabs to fall off before getting back in the pool?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my Aquathlon race this morning down in La Jolla, Southern California. No warmup and went right into the mile swim. The water was about 63 degrees, so I elected to not wear a wetsuit, but a skin - DeSoto Liftoil. I clocked a 23:29 for the 1739 yards (1:21 pace). I didn't start to feel good until 3/4 the way through - both from no warmup and yesterday's 5k+ swim. Oh well, here for the fun of it. My girlfriend, Heidi, passed me (with wetsuit) about half way through, though when I started feeling good, I was moving back up on her. Nevertheless, she climbed out of the water with a 20 second lead. It was a combined race - both have the same swim, but then 5k and 10k low-tide beach runs, repeating a 1 mile loop. She was doing the 10k.
My run sucks and I felt clunky for a mile and watched Heidi simply disappear into the distance. I finished in 27:13 for 3.16 miles (8:37 pace... ughhh!). I finished 7th OA and 1st in my age group. Heidi went on for three more 1-mile laps and finished 2nd OA and first woman. For that effort, she won a huge homebaked apple pie (ok, restaurant made, by a dessert chef, specifically for this race.)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need a like button on the forum. Well done.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Busy day today doing yard work and repairs in the backyard, getting ready for summer. This afternoon I got down to the pool, thankfully able to squeeze that in.

800 SKPS warmup
3x(4x50)@:55 d1-4
Free Round 1 and 2, round 3 as 1 free, 2 breast/free, 3 back/breast, 4 fly/back

100 ez pull

Main set:
2x200 @3:00 (2:33, 2:34)
2x100 @1:30 (1:15, 15)
2x50 @ :45 (36, 35)

100 ez kick
2x100 IM @3:00 (working out a bit of a leg cramp between repeats). #1 ez (1:35) #2 fast (1:17)
100 ez kick/pull by 25 warm down

2500m total

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you make Michellie Jones hurt on the swim or did the 2006 Kona champ not show?
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Did you make Michellie Jones hurt on the swim or did the 2006 Kona champ not show?
Haha! She was a no show. Bob Babbit was there, though. And, he got a pie, although smaller. I think just for being Bob... and all that he does for sports.
BTW: It’s Apple pie and its amazing!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fridays, 3300 SCY:

300 easy
4x100 (100k, 50k/50s, 50s), with fins
6x100, increasing effort to approximately 1000 yd TT pace on last 2
4x100 pull, progressive effort
4x5x50, 3x85%-fast-easy
4x100 pull, progressive as above
8x25, 10 strokes all out, coast the rest of the way (this was a lot of fun!), rest as needed (did about 45 sec). On normal reps at 25 "fast" I start out close to 20 seconds, and fade to 22 (on Tuesday for instance). On this effort I coasted in to 20 once I got the "all-out" effort nailed (too much wasted energy the first couple of reps).

Sunday, 3750 SCY:
500 easy
4x350 pull, progressive
6x75 fast, 200 recovery at about 70%
200 CD

Averaging 7000-7500 yards on two workouts per week since early February. Want to try to get consistent at 11-12000 per week on 3 workouts, which I hope I can do for a while now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
day off yesterday

5 mi run, 1375 yd swim, 7.5 mi run today

500 w/u
7 x 100 on 1:30
175 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300 easy
8x50 drill
1x1000, every 4th 50 hard
1x500, every 4th 25 hard
5x100 kick free/fly by 50's
3x200 pull, paddles+buoy, hard
100 easy

3400 scy
http://tpks.ws/PROPHZ6SL7F4O4SJHHQU3XYI2Y

-----
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
300 easy
8x50 drill
1x1000, every 4th 50 hard
1x500, every 4th 25 hard
5x100 kick free/fly by 50's
3x200 pull, paddles+buoy, hard
100 easy

3400 scy
http://tpks.ws/PROPHZ6SL7F4O4SJHHQU3XYI2Y

Just peeked at your training peaks link. Those are some fast times, especially for a workout!
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [runethechamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He’s a fast dude!

Regular pool closed today for the holiday, so no tri-club practice scheduled. Went over to another pool for lane swim with a couple of girls heading to Nationals this week. only :45 available but fine for a taper workout.

800 SKPS warmup
3x(4x50 d 1-4) on :60 round 1 free, round 2 fly, round 3 free

Main set: 2x50 on 3:00 as fast as possible from a push. We timed each other so we had the whole lane to ourselves.

CJ went 29 high and 30 mid for her 2 repeats. I managed to avoid getting chicked, but barely. 29 low for the first one, then for round 2 I switched to fly (31.5).

100 easy, then sat in the hot tub for half an hour

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Psych sheets are up for the People's Republic of Canuckistan Nationals. en francais...

https://www.mastersswimmingcanada.ca/...s/2019/05/liste-des-épreuves-avec-les-nageurs-inscrits-17-mai.pdf

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My concerns about the 1500 free -> 200 free time gap are somewhat alleviated. According to the predicted times I should have at least 2 hours as they are going to run a couple of heats of the women's 1500 after the men finish, plus a 30 min break, plus some relays.

I swam yesterday morning and it sucked, I felt like garbage and had no feel for the water. Hoping today's lunch swim goes better.
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to taper.... one day you feel awesome, the next you feel like complete crap...

If I was there, I'd have about 40 minutes between the 200 free and 100 fly. Doable, but tough.

Make sure you take 2 tech suits. You don't want to be sitting around in one for 2 hours after the 1500.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 21, 19 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [runethechamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks --- for the 200's at the end, I'm using large blue Strokemakers paddles. It's almost like pulling on a lane line; they increase the surface area of my hand by 2-3x.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: May Fish Thread [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm only using red paddles (Tyr catalyst 2 size M). I'm gonna stick with those over the summer then in the fall bump up to blues... I went to those after using the M Finis paddles. TYR's are quite a bit bigger, I think the bigger paddles are definitely helping my stroke.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah well I'm doing the 100 Breast which is before the 100 Fly so I'll have less than 30 mins there but I kinda don't really care. :)

Definitely not sitting around in that thing for 2 hours!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you know if the heats will be seeded by time or by AG? Just trying to figure out if you and Mike M will be in the same heat. He's in your AG and around the same speed as me, you'll have some good races there.

edit, never mind, found it. They're going to be seeded open, slowest to fastest. You'll be in the second last heat, he'll be in the last one. Still, you should have a big time drop in the 200.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: May 21, 19 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure it's all seeded by time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking through the heat sheets now and kicking myself for not swimming in the fall and not wanting to go... There are a few races I'd have a shot at winning my AG, at least based on the heat sheets. Arrgh.

then I age up next year and will have to race Streppel again, who'll probably crush me...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next