Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lets see your SHIV [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to use white bar tape, you shouldn't use the "spongy" type, you should use the "leather" type, it cleans much easier, its not going to stay perfectly white but gets much closer than the spongy stuff.

nice bike btw…

pick up a wheel cover for the back and your set.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [The Wall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Comfort my friend...comfort. Thanks for being constructive. ;)

The problem is that it's only one kind of comfort - taint comfort. What's not comfortable about a saddle tilted down that much is the load it puts on your patellar tendon as you constantly push yourself back up and onto the seat.

If you need to tilt the saddle down that much to get comfortable between your legs, it's the wrong saddle. You are giving up watts to poor biomechanics with a saddle tilted down that much.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well now Jordan if you're going to throw actual science at me I guess I should address it. I lowered the front one day after a long ride because it felt more comfortable.
I didn't take into account anything else. Let me work on it and I will post a new pic after.
Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you wearing a Camelbak under the skinsuit there? I thought about giving that a shot, does it work well?

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... why you'd ever want to replace the S-Works crank, which is among the lightest AND stiffest cranks you can buy with the not particularly light nor particular stiff 3D crank is beyond me. Rotor rings will work fine.
+1. The S-Works crank is based off the Lightning crank, one of the best cranks out there. It basically IS the Lightning crank - as I understand it, Specialized bought the patent from them. Fairwheel did an extensive crank test and the Lightning came out with top marks.

One of my two major gripes about the Speed Concept is that its crank compatibility is limited, and specifically it won't work with 30mm spindles like the Lightning. Love that Spez puts this sweet crank on their bikes.

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [CokeZero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are two Shivs in action at SavageMan 2010, both victors on the day. Sexy machines!

Philip Graves:

Desiree Ficker:

All race pics of Philip on his Shiv at SavageMan here:
http://tri-to-win-events.smugmug.com/keyword/y10-rsm-sb-6

All race pics of Desiree on her Shiv at SavageMan here:
http://tri-to-win-events.smugmug.com/keyword/y10-rsm-sb-2
Last edited by: kny: Oct 31, 10 21:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can any of the tt men confirm if the Shiv is now UCI illegal?

If so anyone know if there will be a UCI legal version for us consumers?

Thanks,

Duncan
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason I think one of the two is much sexier than the other... ;-)

http://www.frostyjunction.com/
https://twitter.com/FrostyJunction
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Can any of the tt men confirm if the Shiv is now UCI illegal?

It's complicated... http://www.bikeradar.com/...-rules-in-2010-25685

The UCI told me no-go on Shiv 1 at masters road worlds. The I get there and see a Giant Trinity with 3T Ventus bar, which is about as far from a legal setup as you can get.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't tell Rappstar but Graves saddle looks to be point down a fair bit ;-)

holy moly he has some tree trunks for legs!

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cynergy Cycles, an authorized Specialized dealer in Santa Monica, California, has a size small Shiv on sale for $4500. I asked why it on sale and they said it is an older, less popular color (I thought the Shiv has only been out for a few months). They can only sell it to a local buyer (or someone who drives/flies in) due to their contract with Specialized.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think that:
1) I didn't know?

and

2) haven't already talked to him about it?!

He's a stubborn cuss!

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is he riding a toupe or a tritip?

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Is he riding a toupe or a tritip?

Ewan

TriTip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jordan, that makes sense there is a little more nose to sit on compared to the toupe. I can't imagine sitting on a toupe (with that much downward tilt) in the aerobars.

Speaking of Shiv's what is up with all the chain sag on Macca's or is it the angle of the photo?

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the real question is where's your shiv?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps it's because where the chain is at (small ring up front, 11 ring on the back). Beats me....just a guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
but traveling with the bike in a bag or box is a little tricky. The nosecone assembly has to be taken apart in order to remove bars, and requires some competency and comfort with a wrench.

That will be unfortunatelly not a problem next year.

Any news about the availability of coneless Shivs?

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
but traveling with the bike in a bag or box is a little tricky. The nosecone assembly has to be taken apart in order to remove bars, and requires some competency and comfort with a wrench.

That will be unfortunatelly not a problem next year.

Any news about the availability of coneless Shivs?

Sergio

I've never had to take off my nosecone to fit mine into a Trico Ironcase. I actually like travelling with it because you don't have to worry incorrect bar placement when reassembling. You just pop out 6 screws. It's easy.
Last edited by: Sandwich: Nov 1, 10 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [Sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, guessing the re-routed the front brake cable, which originally ran through a notch in the base bar and required removing the nosecone. That makes traveling with it much simpler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
The problem is that it's only one kind of comfort - taint comfort. What's not comfortable about a saddle tilted down that much is the load it puts on your patellar tendon as you constantly push yourself back up and onto the seat.

If you need to tilt the saddle down that much to get comfortable between your legs, it's the wrong saddle. You are giving up watts to poor biomechanics with a saddle tilted down that much.

I'm intrigued. If someone (me) came to you with a downward pointed saddle and complained of knee pain after 30-40 miles (especially after hard efforts and hills) would your first guess be that the downward pointing saddle is the cause?

For the sake of argument, let's assume the knee pain is in the patellar region.

Thanks

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yeah they certainly don't encourage participation.

Seems like exemptions will end 1 Jan 2011, Specialized must have a mold for the approved model (Shiv 4?) since Pro Tour teams are riding it - maybe they will sell a few to the public in addition to the tri version?

Is it the fork/downtube interface that's illegal?

Jordan, have you heard anything - not that it's applicable to you?

Duncan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiv.
Quote Reply
Re: Lets see your SHIV [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard about a retail UCI version being introduced but perhaps Jordan has.

On the Shiv 1 model there were three issues: 1) the nosecone dimension 2) 4:1 base bar 3) 4:1 seatpost
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone with a Shiv had issues with the nose cone rubbing up against the headtube and scratching the paint? I remember reading a few reports of this a few months back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next